PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Countering Stone Shape

Splendor
2013-11-19, 08:36 PM
Hello,

How does one protect a stone wall from the spell stone shape?

You can form an existing piece of stone into any shape that suits your purpose.
Target: Stone or stone object touched, up to 10 cu. ft. + 1 cu. ft./level

Trying to make a protected area (similar to a vault) in the basement of a home so that it can't be easily broken into. The walls inside are lined with metal (and then painted with lead), but a 3" thick metal wall isn't as good as 4' thick Reinforced masonry walls.

Is there a spell or inexpensive material that will protect the walls from stone shape? Or do I have to make them magically reinforced iron walls (magically so they are protected from Rusting Grasp).

Deophaun
2013-11-19, 10:28 PM
It may be a bit pedantic, but is brick stone?

avr
2013-11-19, 10:47 PM
Or glass for that matter. Or wood!

Telok
2013-11-19, 10:53 PM
It may be a bit pedantic, but is brick stone?

Brick is baked clay. I actually advise 10' thick adobe walls of about 40 feet in height with a Wall of Iron or Wall of Stone on the inner face. Most people don't prepare Move Earth as a combat spell and the upper part of the wall should collapse into any hole that's made in it as long as the hole is more than four or five feet thick. You can build a brick wall that will do this intentionally, but it will be more susceptible to earthquakes, floods, and seige weapons.

Deophaun
2013-11-19, 10:56 PM
Brick is baked clay.
Yes, but the issue I see is a brick wall is what we'd also consider to be a masonry wall, and the DMG says masonry walls are made out of "stone." So, there's the question.

I've been looking to see if I could find an official hardness for brick to see if that would shed light on how the game would treat it, but I'm coming up empty.

Splendor
2013-11-20, 07:48 PM
Stone, Masonry, Superior masonry, Reinforced masonry, Hewn and Unworked stone walls all have a hardness of 8 (Core Rulebook pg 411).

Rusting Grasp takes care of metal walls, Warp wood (or just fire) takes care of wooden walls, stone shape takes care of stone walls. and a large rock takes care of Glass walls. I am just looking for an inexpensive way to protect someone's valuables.

The only thing I can figure out is magically treated Iron walls (rusting grasp only affects non-magical objects). Which are not cheap. A 10' x 10' room would cost you 9,000 gp. And since my house only costs like 8500 gp, I don't want to spend more on the vault than I am on the house. Especially since the vault inside may never actually get used.

So again any simple way I am missing to protect a room from stone shape?

Vaz
2013-11-20, 07:53 PM
Line it with wood.

Edit; breaking through stone isn't hard. A Barbarian-esque character can just hack through it. Try *not* using the vault, bury it outside. (Survival checks to spot the disturbed earth).

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-20, 08:08 PM
stone to mud...wait...that just ruins the wall.. um.. stone to flesh..ok nevermind that one just gets weird. you could always try simply putting traps around it. really with how many classes have a way to get through a simple stone wall it wouldn't even be worth using a level 3 spell slot for stone shape.

Splendor
2013-11-20, 09:03 PM
Stone to mud (actually called Soften Earth and Stone in pathfinder) only affects unworked stone, so a Masonry wall wouldn't be affected.

Wood wouldn't help protect the stone it would just be another layer of protection to the vault (which a axe or warp wood spell would eliminate).

A Barbarian in pathfinder is only going to deal a maximum damage of d8+11 (average 15.5) at lower levels (he shouldn't be using anything other than a pick or hammer against a stone wall). A reinforced masonry wall has a hardness of 8 and 180 hp per wall section (core rules pg 411). So it should take this specific barbarian 24 rounds to break through 1 section. However since I plan on hardening the walls (+4 Hardness), it will take him 52 rounds per section.
Since each wall is 4' thick, its 4 sections, which would be 208 rounds (or almost 35 minutes). Hopefully my alarms would activate by now and alert me (and the local police). I am not worried about a barbarian mining his way through my wall. I am worried about a single 3rd level spell destroying the entire outer protection.

I am protecting the vault against lower level enemies, not high level. Protecting against distingrate and adamantine weapons is much harder and that is not what I am asking. What I am asking is, is there a way to protect stone against the Stone Shape spell?

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-20, 09:05 PM
Stone to mud (actually called Soften Earth and Stone in pathfinder) only affects unworked stone, so a Masonry wall wouldn't be affected.

Wood wouldn't help protect the stone it would just be another layer of protection to the vault (which a axe or warp wood spell would eliminate).

A Barbarian in pathfinder is only going to deal a maximum damage of d8+11 (average 15.5) at lower levels (he shouldn't be using anything other than a pick or hammer against a stone wall). A reinforced masonry wall has a hardness of 8 and 180 hp per wall section (core rules pg 411). So it should take this specific barbarian 24 rounds to break through 1 section. However since I plan on hardening the walls (+4 Hardness), it will take him 52 rounds per section.
Since each wall is 4' thick, its 4 sections, which would be 208 rounds (or almost 35 minutes). Hopefully my alarms would activate by now and alert me (and the local police).

I am protecting against lower level enemies, not high level. Protecting against distingrate and adamantine weapons is much harder and that is not what I am asking. What I am asking is, is there a way to protect stone against the Stone Shape spell?
actually stone to mud is its own spell in pathfinder, soften earth and stone is an earlier less powerful spell with a similar effect.

Grollub
2013-11-21, 01:10 AM
build the walls with bars inside it.. think inner wall, jail cell style bars, outer wall.

Vaz
2013-11-21, 03:27 AM
For every few inches of stone, build it with a very small gap of air; it then requires multiple castings; to get into the vault it takes 5+ castings of a spell so that it requires 3 people there.

Lining each bit with wood means even more spell resource expenditure.