PDA

View Full Version : quick undead question

drack
2013-11-19, 08:55 PM
rod of undead mastery states that it doubles the number of undeads you control. Lets say for argument's sake, which of the following would double (feel free to just list numbers, or say yes)

1) an evil level 10 cleric's command undead ability allowing him to control up to 10HP of undeads
2) animate dead undeads who's spell uses a separate pool
3) undead lieutenant bonus pool
4) general of undeath adding 10*CL to those HD
5) an item that has it's own pool allowing you indirect control
6) An item that gives you the class feature to command/rebuke (not sure there's been one since 2e, but hypothetical)
7) indirect command pool via minnion. Ie the command pool of the vampire I command.

My gut says 1-4&6

karkus
2013-11-19, 09:59 PM
rod of undead mastery states that it doubles the number of undeads you control.

Find out how much undead you can control. ALL the undead that you can control. Now double that number.

OldTrees1
2013-11-19, 10:18 PM
1) Double your Rebuke Undead pool
2) Double
3) This increases your animate dead pool. See #2
4) This increases your animate dead pool. See #2
5) No. The Item is not wielding the Rod
6) Double (this gives you a pool which then acts like #1)
7) No. The Minion is not wielding the Rod

Your gut is right.
Likewise this does not increase the number of undead that are allied but not controlled (no additional Familiar/Cohort/Followers)

Silva Stormrage
2013-11-19, 10:38 PM
1) Double your Rebuke Undead pool
2) Double
3) This increases your animate dead pool. See #2
4) This increases your animate dead pool. See #2
5) No. The Item is not wielding the Rod
6) Double (this gives you a pool which then acts like #1)
7) No. The Minion is not wielding the Rod

Your gut is right.
Likewise this does not increase the number of undead that are allied but not controlled (no additional Familiar/Cohort/Followers)

Note that for #7 you can just give them the rod. The undead animation only checks your cap when you animate undead (Thats why you can sleep without holding the rod and not worry about losing undead). But you are correct that normally the minion does not get the bonus.

OldTrees1
2013-11-19, 10:40 PM
Note that for #7 you can just give them the rod. The undead animation only checks your cap when you animate undead (Thats why you can sleep without holding the rod and not worry about losing undead). But you are correct that normally the minion does not get the bonus.

True. I think it would interfere with the Rebuke Pool if you passed the Rod around, however the Animate Pool is larger and thus gets a bigger benefit.

drack
2013-11-19, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys, mostly was wondering animate/command pool, but figured I may as well ask the others to be sure that I got it right. first thought was quick google to check, but people only mention it for animate dead pool (since it's usually bigger), and from there some people figured it only worked for animate, that or everyone confuses HD with checks, so figured I should nab a second op pinion. :smallbiggrin:

Silva Stormrage
2013-11-19, 10:42 PM
True. I think it would interfere with the Rebuke Pool if you passed the Rod around, however the Animate Pool is larger and thus gets a bigger benefit.

No rebuke only checks the cap when you command another undead, it will be the same as animate dead. (Same logic goes with a scepter of the netherworld)

drack
2013-11-19, 10:43 PM
No rebuke only checks the cap when you command another undead, it will be the same as animate dead. (Same logic goes with a scepter of the netherworld)
Now that, my friend, depends on how much the GM hates necromancy. Raw yes, though there are some iffy things about the raw on necromancy, and that is one of em. I usually just give the red to an undead character that can hold it all the time just in case. :smalltongue:

Silva Stormrage
2013-11-19, 10:46 PM
Now that, my friend, depends on how much the GM hates necromancy. Raw yes, though there are some iffy things about the raw on necromancy, and that is one of em. I usually just give the red to an undead character that can hold it all the time just in case. :smalltongue:

Okay yes, if the DM decides that it checks continuously they can (Frankly thats not even that unreasonable) but its not RAW or even RAI (IMO of course :smalltongue:)

drack
2013-11-19, 10:50 PM
I'd say RAI it could be either on this one. I mean the necromancy system is well developed, somewhat well supported if you dig, and awesome, but it is pretty patchwork, and you do have to dig a bit. :smalltongue: I don't think they even thought that such a thing would matter when they wrote the base stuff.

Silva Stormrage
2013-11-19, 11:51 PM
I'd say RAI it could be either on this one. I mean the necromancy system is well developed, somewhat well supported if you dig, and awesome, but it is pretty patchwork, and you do have to dig a bit. :smalltongue: I don't think they even thought that such a thing would matter when they wrote the base stuff.

Agreed, much of 3.5's necromancy stuff is spread about in several books. Libris Mortis has a lot of it but 3.5's necromancy is kinda dependent on a couple items to work well.

drack
2013-11-19, 11:53 PM
That and a couple spells especially.