PDA

View Full Version : one shot game caster with 10 spell-levels?

Wookie-ranger
2013-11-19, 09:56 PM
I am going to be part of a simple game. 3 people plus DM for a very laid back session.
Rules are followed "as-written" but exceptions are granted with the "rule-of-cool"; if it would be awesome, every one has fun, and does not break the game (too-)much it's a go. What every we try the bbeg might do too.
All very reasonable.

I am going to be a caster but for 'some reason' :smallwink: the DM does not trust me with a full caster.
So we came up with a semi-homebrew. Its a standard Wizard level 18, but I can only have 10 levels of spells total (ie.: 1xlevel1 spell + 1x level 9 spell; or 5 x level 2 spells, etc) 0level spells count 1/4 level and can be cast once every 6 rounds.
That's it, no spell book, no switching spells, normal casting limits per day for each level, normal rest in between casting and all feats &MM feats need to be approved first.

Setting is a homebrew Low fantasy-magic but high "industrialized-magic" setting.
(aka steam punk)

Any ideas how to be a good caster like this?

PS: I know i can still use magic items, scrolls and wands, but those are hard to come by.

lunar2
2013-11-19, 10:01 PM
best option: don't play a caster. if you want the flavor of a caster, but at a more reasonable power level, play a warlock. otherwise, you'll be stuck with reserve feats and magic items, and basically be playing what amounts to a gimped warlock,since you won't be casting the few spells you have because you need them to power your reserve feats or you won't have any endurance.

Irk
2013-11-19, 10:04 PM
snag lesser dragonmark + mark of the dauntless
then do celerity, orb of force,
grab easy metamagic, practical metamagic and arcane thesis.
then just blast away with twin spell, repeat spell, quicken spell, and maximize spell.

Ok, that was kind of a joke.

Here's the real game plan:

Ice assassin and burning hands

1. make an ice assassin of a god

2. cast burning hands on your opponent

3. your opponent laughs at your patheticness

4. Ice god slams into them dealing a billion trillion million damage

5. you win.

side note: with this, you can ice assassin anything, so just ice assasin more casters if you're short on options

TuggyNE
2013-11-19, 11:46 PM
Shapechange and, I dunno, nerveskitter or something. Maybe lesser orb of force. Also, of course, Minor Shapeshift reserve feat.