PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Help me with my Qinggong Monk!

Mygicmeen
2013-11-20, 01:27 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zbRa5w6RvQTUlyYWVYa0hGUDg/edit?usp=sharing

That is my monk. Yes the stats are nuts. He is a Half fiend Dwarf. He is keeping the bonus ability points from the 3.5 half fiend template.

I think he is pretty well designed. Does anyone see any problems? Areas to clean up, or that I'm not addressing? The alternate racial traits are mainly for flavor, as the campaign has kinda been a pirate one. Speaking of traits, they aren't allowed. And if anyone saw the old thread

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311869

I have been forced to play a monk. Or play with the stats from my old character, which have been found, which are less than impressive, and would be severely outshined by my group-mates on a druid.

What I am looking for I guess, is, is there any thing I am overlooking for adding damage to my build? Or have I really explored all the options available?

I think he has good maneuverability( and will probably pick up more movement through the "special halfiend homebrew powers"), and will be able to zip along the battlefield, especially at 12th with abundant step. I think he also has a decent bit of control. Does anyone think trip or another maneuver would be a better investment at 6?

avr
2013-11-20, 02:17 AM
Unless I'm missing something, you haven't defined which ki powers you're getting in place of slow fall and wholeness of body. Also, what level is the rest of the party - your monk is 9th level I think?

I'd definitely get Improved Trip rather than Improved Bull Rush since the former can be part of a flurry and the latter can't.

Unless your homebrewed half-fiend helps, you can't fly which will start to be a real issue for a melee type around this level. Maybe another party member can help, maybe you need to spend some of your magic item budget there. Maybe you need to carry a few javelins in case you get sniped from above.

Mygicmeen
2013-11-20, 02:37 AM
I took barkskin and side step. Page 2. Under notes. Ranged is an eye sore. Javalins maybe a good solution for that. Yes level 9. The rest of the party is level 9 as well. A bard/rog and a wizard and a duskblade. Which will be converted or just use magus. I think fly could be covered by the wizard? It might be a good idea to invest in. BUt what? Winged Boots?

avr
2013-11-20, 03:03 AM
If the wizard's OK with casting fly on you then that's most of that problem gone. You might still want to carry a potion for emergencies, or not.

Sidestep is amusing but not obviously useful. Cloak of Winds to protect against ranged and swarms or Gaseous Form to get past barriers have more likely uses. Gaseous Form could serve as an emergencies-only flight ability too. Ki Stand is on a lower-level list but is still probably more useful than Sidestep.

Mygicmeen
2013-11-21, 04:33 PM
Alright, so I think you are right. I'll take the Cloak of Winds now instead of side step, and at 11 I'll grab that gaseous form. Seems like it will be usefull, especially because I think I will be much better at scouting than the bard/rogue.

How useful is diamond soul? I feel loathe to give it up, is there something on the Qinggong list that would be more useful to me? I mean, I have crazy high saves that are only going to get better, so how useful is the sr? (note, ive never really got far enough to extensively deal with sr, so im iffy on the details.)