PDA

View Full Version : Ranger AC progression set to druid standard [3.5]

hymer
2013-11-20, 08:00 AM
Suppose rangers could take a feat that would make their animal companions equal to that of a druid of the ranger's level. Obviously, if you already have a druid running around the campaign, such a feat won't ruin anything balance-wise. But would it amount to a must-have feat for rangers? Is it just too good a feat? Does it screw too much with multi-classing or prestige-classing for rangers?

Feint's End
2013-11-20, 08:04 AM
Honestly? Rangers should have an equally strong Animal Companion anyways meaning full progression without a feat. I don''t know why WOTC thought that full bab and some minor classfeatures would be better than full casting and wildshape.

So just give them the druid's companion. If that's not on the table homebrewing such a feat would be entirely reasonable. Would it be a must have? Not necessarily, because you can swap your animal companion away for mystic Ranger (good idea anyways) and get Wild Cohort for a slightly weaker but still better than half progression one.

Spore
2013-11-20, 08:28 AM
I second an on par Animal companion for Rangers. It makes no sense in ways of balancing, roleplaying or otherwise.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-20, 09:19 AM
I like reversing the two. Druids get enough already, and I like the ranger as "Guy with animal bond" character, rather than "racist who hates X group"

T.G. Oskar
2013-11-20, 09:38 AM
Considering that, traditionally, Rangers were the original "guy with a pet" class, this conclusion is pretty much foregone; they should have had full progression right from the start. Original Druids didn't have an animal companion, instead having their convoluted progression and Wild Shape right from the get-go, so stacking an animal companion on top of that, and taking that from the Ranger, makes no sense.

Now, if you're asking for a feat, Wild Cohort is right there to cover you up. In fact, if you consider the benefits of Wild Cohort, it's pretty much what the Ranger's animal companion originally was (I recall the example was something along the lines of "the bear just follows me, I dunno why..."), much like the Leadership feat is the vestige of all the level-title benefits (such as Fighters becoming minor nobles and a castle, Magic-Users getting their own tower, Thieves and Assassins founding their own guilds, and others). WC grants full progression, though it limits your choice of animal companion to the basic ones (IIRC; I don't want to derail the thread by discussing that) and drops some of the abilities you get (such as the share spells ability).

That said, you shouldn't spend a feat to handle what should be gained naturally, and your animal companion should be capable of handling whatever it's thrown to it (though, because of the reduced HD and bonuses, they're best used as scouts instead of guardians or flanking buddies as of now) without jumping that many hurdles. If you're too scared, make it progress based on caster level, but delayed progression; alternatively, limit the access to animal companions (no fleshraker until, say, 16th level or so), but that's not of the essence; it's not like the animal companion will replace you (particularly if you're inclined into archery).

hymer
2013-11-20, 09:46 AM
Thanks everyone for your opinions, and thanks especially to Feint's End, who actually answered one of my questions.
Edit: That sounds more caustic than it was meant. I really do appreciate your voicing your opinions.

Feint's End
2013-11-20, 10:17 AM
Thanks everyone for your opinions, and thanks especially to Feint's End, who actually answered one of my questions.
Edit: That sounds more caustic than it was meant. I really do appreciate your voicing your opinions.

Actually I answered two questions :smallwink:. Homebrewing such a feat is entirely reasonable means that it isn't too good. And second one was that it wouldn't be a mandatory choice for rangers since there are other good options like wild cohort and mystic ranger.

As for your last question: It wouldn't mess up multiclassing anymore than just going straight ranger (except for the stronger animal companion). You might want to look into PRCs with animal progression since that would make sense but again ... the Mystic Ranger with Wild Cohort comes out ahead just because Wild Cohort scales with Character Level and allows free multiclassing.

Chronos
2013-11-20, 10:29 AM
There's already a feat something like that: Natural Bond (CAdv). It adds 3 to your effective druid level (up to a maximum of your total level) for purposes of determining your animal companion's abilities. It's designed for multiclass druids, and is sometimes (debatably) used for druids with higher-list companions, but it'll also work for a ranger. It'll give you a companion equal to the druid's at up to level 6, though it'll still lag behind a bit after that.

And while druids didn't originally have the Animal Companion class feature, they did have the Animal Friendship spell, which had the same effect.

hymer
2013-11-20, 03:43 PM
@ Feint's End: You're right about the number of answers, of course. Thanks again. :smallsmile:

@ Chronos: And thanks for your answer too.