PDA

View Full Version : elf kobald half breed

Deremir
2013-11-20, 08:15 AM
so to cut a long and somewhat embarrassing:smallredface: story short one of the players im dm for had some sexytime with a kobald and wants one of her friends to join in the campaign as her child.

any suggestions for what to make the child? and how to make the child a playable age?

Spore
2013-11-20, 08:22 AM
Don't kobolds lay eggs? How....why....when?

Intoxication and adopting a kobold teenager could probably solve your problem.

KillianHawkeye
2013-11-20, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't think that kobolds and elves could generate any viable offspring.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-20, 08:36 AM
Maybe an elf with the reptilian creature template?

Though I'd -really- like to read that story.

JeminiZero
2013-11-20, 08:44 AM
While it is doubtful if Elves/Kobold could interbreed by RAW, since this is ultimately your game, you can simply just "make it happen" with DM permission.

any suggestions for what to make the child?
Easy solution: Just make the stats for a simple Elf or Kobold. The character can have some cross-breed physical traits that has no mechanical effect (e.g. an Elf might have scales on some parts of the body. A Kobold can be unusually tall, and have pointy ears)

If the Kobold is dragonwrought (or was a Green Half-Dragon in disguise or something...) Dragon Magic pg 8 has stats for a Forestlord Elf, which is basically an Elf with a touch of Dragonblood.

Harder solution: Homebrew. The big racial factors to consider:
*Darkvision: Since Half-orcs get Darkvision from orc parentage, arguably, Half-Kobolds should as well.
*Immunity to sleep spells: Since Human Half-elves get immunity to sleep from their Elf parentage, Kobold Half-elves probably should as well.
*Con penalty: Both Kobold and Elves have a -2 Con penalty. The Kobold also has +2 Dex from small size, but that is lost on a medium Kobelf, so no Dex mod.
*Natural Armor: A Con penalty with no other modifier is painful. Let her retain the Kobold +1 natural armor bonus to make up for it
*Size: Can be either Medium or Small, leave this up to the player
*Languages: Half-elves know elven, and Half-orcs know orcish, so arguably Half-Elf-Kobolds should know both Elven and Draconic.
*Skill bonus: half from either parent (with +2 to Search, since both parents have that)

I would peg therefore it as:

Kobelf
*Medium Size Humanoid (Reptilian)
*-2 Constitution.
*+1 natural armor bonus
*A Kobelf’s base land speed is 30 feet.
*Darkvision out to 60 feet.
*Low-Light Vision: A Kobelf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
*Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, and a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells or effects.
*Racial Skills: A Kobelf character has a +2 racial bonus on Search checks. She also has +1 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), Listen, and Spot checks.
*Kobold and Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a Kobelf is considered both an elf and a Kobold.
*Automatic Languages: Common, Elven and Draconic. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).

Optional:
*A Kobelf can be small instead of medium size. In which case apply the following additional modifiers:
*-2 Strength, +2 Dexterity
*Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters. (No change to land speed)

and how to make the child a playable age?
Time Skip?

Have the offspring time travel from the future to the present to save the parent from certain death?

Place the child in a time accelerated Demiplane?

Raezeman
2013-11-20, 09:05 AM
for the age thing, well,
elves life freakishly long, and cobolds live freakishly short. So you could place the lifespan of the elf-kobold in the middle, or, if you want him to be playable sooner, give it the life span of the cobold, that way, you only have to skip a couple of yours into the future before the cobold-elf reaches adulthood. I say you don't even have to reach full adulthood to be a playable character. Bring in the joy of puberty to the roleplaying!

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-20, 09:08 AM
A dragonwraught kobold can breed with just about anything due to the dragon type. I would be sorely tempted to have the offspring simply be a spellscale.

Vanitas
2013-11-20, 10:13 AM
Dragon Magic has a dragonblooded elf subrace, you could use that.

Joe the Rat
2013-11-20, 10:25 AM
for the age thing, well,
elves life freakishly long, and cobolds live freakishly short. Yeah, almost as freakishly short as humans! They hit old age at 90! 90! That's barely out of diapers!
Kobolds are one of the few "goblin" races (classically humanoid, vs. human/demihuman) with a longer potential lifespan. They just tend to get killed a lot. What they do have is a freakishly short childhood - adulthood by 6 years. It's not that bad of a time-skip, even for non-elves.

And as others have pointed out Dragonwrought makes you a Dragon (more or less...), potentially including their exceptional inter-species fecundity.

Several folks have pointed out the variety of dragon-blooded elf options on hand. I'd say build from one of those. But I'd also consider using Small size - or possibly Slim Build (you count as one size smaller for certain situations) to capture that "Other parent was a really small dragon lizard person" thing.

Deremir
2013-11-20, 10:35 AM
Ok because it was asked for...

During the first session of my first campain i made a joke about one of our female players not having enuf money to buy clothes. Even after i explained that it was a joke she insisted on being naked... So now her character is a nudest and when they got caught and bound by kobalds i rolled to see if anything happened and well... Now we make jokes about her lizard rape baby...

Her character is just gonna neglect it tho because shes an elf suppremisist and its a "low-blood"

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-20, 10:53 AM

During the first session of my first campain i made a joke about one of our female players not having enuf money to buy clothes. Even after i explained that it was a joke she insisted on being naked... So now her character is a nudest and when they got caught and bound by kobalds i rolled to see if anything happened and well... Now we make jokes about her lizard rape baby...

Her character is just gonna neglect it tho because shes an elf suppremisist and its a "low-blood"

Wow that's terrible. Made me chuckle. I sometimes think I may be a bad person. :belkar:

Deremir
2013-11-20, 11:50 AM
ooh! as i mentioned above the character who's giving birth to the child is an elf supremacist so what if the child was blessed by Corellon Larethian? it could have some sort of tatoo like markings and rather than being a random mix of the two races could be an elf with kobald/dragon/somelizard/ characteristics in all the right places! extra long ears, scales that give natural armor, exc, so it wont be a elf/kobald halfbreed it will just be a lizard version of elves!

what do you think? it would provide a nice plot hook and a reason why she wouldn't be ashamed of her half kobald child

PersonMan
2013-11-20, 12:05 PM
During the first session of my first campain i made a joke about one of our female players not having enuf money to buy clothes.

You are aware that every character has one set of clothes for free, right?

This joke implies that you aren't, so I thought I'd make sure.

Vanitas
2013-11-20, 12:08 PM
ooh! as i mentioned above the character who's giving birth to the child is an elf supremacist so what if the child was blessed by Corellon Larethian? it could have some sort of tatoo like markings and rather than being a random mix of the two races could be an elf with kobald/dragon/somelizard/ characteristics in all the right places! extra long ears, scales that give natural armor, exc, so it wont be a elf/kobald halfbreed it will just be a lizard version of elves!

what do you think? it would provide a nice plot hook and a reason why she wouldn't be ashamed of her half kobald child

Corellon Larethian is Chaotic Good so I doubt he would bless a racial supremacist.

Deremir
2013-11-20, 12:18 PM
You are aware that every character has one set of clothes for free, right?

This joke implies that you aren't, so I thought I'd make sure.

As i said above it was a joke!

Corellon Larethian is Chaotic Good so I doubt he would bless a racial supremacist.

But shes a chaotic good racial supremacist...

RFLS
2013-11-20, 12:25 PM
As i said above it was a joke!

He was clarifying. Most people reading your post would have thought the same thing he did, because that's what your post implied.

I don't think "good" and "racial supremacist" really go together, you know? I'd be curious to see an actual argument showing that they can in fact go together, but I suspect any such argument will be "because it's my character," rather than "well, you can be good because <X>, and still be a racist."

Xerlith
2013-11-20, 12:45 PM

You spell Lawful Evil very strangely...

Easiest way of making this work: make the child a spellscale.

Deremir
2013-11-20, 12:52 PM
They can go together... For example:

"Elves live a good thousand years and thus are much wiser then those foolish humans and dwarves who only live a mere one to two hundred. Therefor it would be better if elves ruled ever contry because they would make wiser decisions than the shorter lived species."

Did... Did i just defend racism?

RFLS
2013-11-20, 12:57 PM
They can go together... For example:

"Elves live a good thousand years and thus are much wiser then those foolish humans and dwarves who only live a mere one to two hundred. Therefor it would be better if elves ruled ever contry because they would make wiser decisions than the shorter lived species."

Did... Did i just defend racism?

Yeah, you did. I'm about 98% sure that you don't have a solid grasp on "good" and "evil." Go ahead, substitute "elves" for any oppressive human group and "humans" for any oppressed human group, and "lifespans" for "<any random quality>". Your argument has been used time and again by countless human oppressors. Good job.

Xerlith
2013-11-20, 12:57 PM
This is a totalitarian, for sure lawful ascertainment. Balancing between neutral and evil also.

Deremir
2013-11-20, 01:00 PM
Soooooo...

Should i have my player change her alighnment?

Slipperychicken
2013-11-20, 01:01 PM
I don't think "good" and "racial supremacist" really go together, you know?

I direct you to races with "racial hatred" listed as a feature. Like dwarves, halflings, and gnomes, who are so racist that they get a +1 to hit orcs and goblins, yet are listed as tending toward Good-alignment.

Yes, D&D racism is silly. Who'da thunk?

RFLS
2013-11-20, 01:02 PM
Soooooo...

Should i have my player change her alighnment?

You should definitely discuss it with her. Racism and good people don't tend to go hand in hand. Do not, under any circumstances, flat out tell a player "Your alignment is <AB> now."

I direct you to races with "racial hatred" listed as a feature. Like dwarves, halflings, and gnomes, who are so racist that they get a +1 to hit orcs and goblins, yet are listed as tending toward Good-alignment.

Yes, D&D racism is silly. Who'da thunk?

*shrug* I can't help what the racial mechanics at play are. I tend to flat-out ignore those racial features, or trade them out, whenever I'm playing a Good aligned character. I do feel fairly comfortable saying that being an active supremacist isn't "good," though.

Grim Portent
2013-11-20, 01:04 PM
Nah, her personal convictions alone shouldn't be enough to determine her alignment, her deeds matter as well.

If you decide on balance that she is evil then don't tell her, just wait till you have an NPC use a spell that affects people based on alignment so her realization OOC and IC are linked. That way she won't suddenly change her ways inexplicably to stop being evil or be tempted to plunge down the dark path to power until the character itself has a reason.

Deremir
2013-11-20, 01:07 PM
Just saying theres a difference between specesist and racist. You wouldnt say someones evil for saying all black dragons(who are listed as always evil) should die do you?

Then again that isnt the case here. I think ill talk to her about that
Edit: personally i would prefer her not to be evil since i already have one player who (unbenounced to the party) sold his soul to a demon

Red Fel
2013-11-20, 01:13 PM
There's a reason the God of Racial Supremacy (Zarus) is Lawful Evil.

RFLS
2013-11-20, 01:14 PM
Just saying theres a difference between specesist and racist. You wouldnt say someones evil for saying all black dragons(who are listed as always evil) should die do you?

Edit: personally i would prefer her not to be evil since i already have one player who (unbeknownst to the party) sold his soul to a demon

Yes, I would say that that person is evil. Of course, the entire alignment system is bogus, so....yeah.

And there's really, really not a difference between speceist and racist, especially when you're dealing with species that can empathize with each other and can interbreed.

Slipperychicken
2013-11-20, 01:14 PM
*shrug* I can't help what the racial mechanics at play are. I tend to flat-out ignore those racial features, or trade them out, whenever I'm playing a Good aligned character. I do feel fairly comfortable saying that being an active supremacist isn't "good," though.

Depending on how it's expressed, it could pass into Neutral in my opinion. Like if a character goes around lynching every goblin who dares whistle at an Elf woman, then that's obviously evil. However, if he instead merely tells the goblin off and tries to help the Elf, he might pass for Neutral or even Good depending on the social context.

And there's really, really not a difference between speceist and racist, especially when you're dealing with species that can empathize with each other and can interbreed.

Honestly, the term "race" is more accurate, since most of them can interbreed for viable/fertile offspring. IIRC that's pretty much how species are defined.

RFLS
2013-11-20, 01:15 PM
Depending on how it's expressed, it could pass into Neutral in my opinion. Like if a character goes around lynching every goblin who dares whistle at an Elf woman, then that's obviously evil. However, if he instead merely tells the goblin off and tries to help the Elf, he might pass for Neutral or even Good depending on the social context.

I could agree as far as Neutral in that context - the act itself might even be good. The convictions behind it, though - not so much.

Kobold-Bard
2013-11-20, 01:20 PM

I'm glad someone else remembered this.

Harbinger
2013-11-20, 01:20 PM

Funny you should use that as an example. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0628.html) And yes, I would.

Kobold-Bard
2013-11-20, 01:28 PM
Funny you should use that as an example. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0628.html) And yes, I would.

Racism is bad. Alignmentism is actively encouraged by the Gods.

Vanitas
2013-11-20, 01:31 PM

Edit: personally i would prefer her not to be evil since i already have one player who (unbenounced to the party) sold his soul to a demon

Always evil does not even mean all black dragons are evil. It's right there in the Monster Manual, you can check.

otakumick
2013-11-20, 01:38 PM
Much as I hate to bring up 3rd Party, Silverthorne Games' Book of Template's Deluxe Edition(3rd edition, not the 3.5 one) includes a half-kobold template...

Slipperychicken
2013-11-20, 01:38 PM
Always evil does not even mean all black dragons are evil. It's right there in the Monster Manual, you can check.

IIRC "Always [alignment]" means roughly 95% of them are that alignment.

Also, alignment-discrimination might be usually okay, but alignment-based murder is totally a hate crime. Because according to dnd, killing people just for being evil is wrong.

Vanitas
2013-11-20, 01:58 PM
Because according to dnd, killing people just for being evil is wrong.

Imagine that!! :smallbiggrin:

Larkas
2013-11-20, 02:14 PM

Wow... That's terrible. As in "terrible bad", not "terrible thrilling". And not only due to the story itself.
It's "kobold". And it's "enough". And it's "nudist". And it's "though". And it's "supremacist". And yeah, it's "I". And no, I couldn't help it.

cakellene
2013-11-20, 02:34 PM

Can you provide a source for that deity?

Vanitas
2013-11-20, 02:47 PM
Can you provide a source for that deity?

Races of Destiny

Slipperychicken
2013-11-20, 03:05 PM
Imagine that!! :smallbiggrin:

Yeah.. especially when we already have items which deal negative levels to people of the wrong alignment who pick them up, and nobody calls out those items as wrong :smallsigh:

Falcon X
2013-11-20, 03:37 PM
Heh, I had a similar situation:

A couple years ago, I played an OP game with a Doppleganger-blooded Kobold who could shapechange. Most evil little devil you can find. He shapechanged and scattered his seed all over the world.
Jump to today, I'm about to start a new game, playing an Elf... with doppleganger blood. Now, I'm not coming right out with it, but it's a dark secret between me and the DM that she is descended from the Kobold.

That being said, I had the following solutions:
- Races of Dragon had a half-dragon template that fit the mix perfectly.
- Dragon Magic had dragon-blooded Elves I could use.
- Savage Species (3.0) or Bastards and Bloodline (3rd Party) have rules for creating your own half-breeds.
- I personally was allowed to use the Old Blood feat from the 3rd party splatbook, "Bastards and Bloodlines", which I used to get Elf "Doppleganger blooded".

Deremir
2013-11-20, 05:36 PM
ok i get it, prejudice is bad

are there any evil elf deities?

Keneth
2013-11-20, 05:45 PM
According to Book of Erotic Fantasy, kobolds and elves cannot breed without magical means. Case closed. :smalltongue:

Deremir
2013-11-20, 05:47 PM
According to Book of Erotic Fantasy, kobolds and elves cannot breed without magical means. Case closed. :smalltongue:

looked at that, too late.:smalltongue:

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-20, 05:55 PM

wait that actually exists? I thought it was just a joke used to make me question humanity o_O.

Keneth
2013-11-20, 06:07 PM
Sure it does, there's even a Pathfinder conversion. :smallbiggrin:

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-20, 06:10 PM
Sure it does, there's even a Pathfinder conversion. :smallbiggrin:

...I'm just gonna go cry in my corner until the ew goes away..

Forum Explorer
2013-11-20, 06:10 PM
wait that actually exists? I thought it was just a joke used to make me question humanity o_O.

Yes it actually exists.

Anyways I'd use the recommended template someone gave, that looked pretty good.

On the whole Elven Supermisist thing, well how does she behave? If it's a character flaw in an otherwise good character then she might not be evil. Of course it very much is a trait that lends itself to being evil. Like if I had a character who was incredibly greedy.