PDA

View Full Version : Zancloufer Makes some Monsters

Zancloufer
2013-11-20, 10:38 AM
So this forum is chalk full of optimized builds for characters, but I don't see much in the way of love for monsters. I like building monsters, unique ones especially.

However I could use some practice and I don't always have the best of ideas, so I have an idea. While I'm no expert at making monsters I'd wager I'm better than at least half the DMs out there at making them.

So I'll take some requests, and ask for critique of what I make. I run mostly out of Core content for monsters as I don't have the largest supply of splat books. I have 1-2 of the monster manuals in PDF 3rd one for sure, and maybe 1 other.

If you want a request a few things I would need is: What kind of monster, basic looks, how tough (CR) you want it, and maybe some quirks it has. I won't guarantee I'll get them done fast, probably will only make 2-6 a week, but let's see.

Also if your not into requests but know alot about monsters, I would really like some critique on my monstrous creations.

Now for two of my creations neither of which is serious for completely different reasons:

Dread Gazebo:
Guardian Gazebo
Size/Type: Huge Construct
Hit Dice: 14d10+42 (182 HP)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares),
Armor Class: 19 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +10 natural.), 9 touch 20 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+18
Attack: Slam +22 2d8+12 Crit19-20x3
Full Attack: 4 x Slam +22 2d8+12 Crit19-20x3
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Overrun, Improved Natural Weapon, Awesome Blow
Special Qualities: Construct traits, DR 10/Slashing, Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5 Will +4
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Grassy Knolls, Forested Land and Gardens.
Organization: Solitary or Pair
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: Minimal
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

The Guardian Gazebo was designed by some sadistic Wizard. Taking on the appearance of a Normal Gazebo, this construct attacks anyone who trespasses the land they where left to defend.

Combat
The Gazebo will attack anything that attacks it, or trespasses on the land it was left to defend.

Overrun (Ex)
If the Gazebo successfully hits a target with all four attacks it gets a free overrun attempt that doesn't provoke an Attack of Opertunity.

Awesome Blow (Ex)
Any hit the Gazebo makes the target must make a reflex save with a DC equal to the damage dealt. Those who fail the save are knocked prone and back 5ft.

Magic Immunity (Ex)
Being a construct the Guardian Gazebo is immune to magic except when follows:
A Warp Wood/Wood Shape spell deals 4d6 damage to the Gazebo.
A Repel wood spell knocks the Gazebo prone and back 20ft.
Magic Fire deals 1 damage per die of damage normally dealt
Lightning heals the Gazebo for 1 damage per die normally dealt.
There is no saving throw for these effects.

Arch-Bear

Arch Bear (43-HD)
Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 22d8+21d4+172 (345 hp, 432 Maximized)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 30 ( +3 Dex, +10 natural, +3 Deflection, +4 Robes), touch 16 flat-footed 27
Base Attack/Grapple: +31/+36
Attack: Claw +36 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 Claw +36 melee (1d6+5) and bite +32 melee (1d8+7), 34 Touch Attack
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-Casting, Arch Mage Powers (5)
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +34, Ref +33 Will +26
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 34, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Concentration 49, Know-Arcana 75, Know-Nature 45, Listen 46, Spellcraft 75, Spot 46, Survival 46,
Feats: Spell Focus x3, Epic Spell-Casting, Quicken Spell, Automatic Quicken Spell 0-9, Multi-Spell x2, +7 others
Environment: Bear Filled Caves
Organization: Solitary, or with 2d6 Bear Guards
Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure: Robes of the Arch Bear, Bear Ring of Resistance, Bear Ring of Protection, Bear Book of Spellcraft, Bear Book of Arcane Knowledge, Circlet of Bear Intellect
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: --
Level Adjustment: —
Spells Per Day: 7/7/7/7/6/6/6/6/5/7 Save DC 22-33

An Awakened Black Bear of great intellect. Eventually gained wizard training and has become a mighty Arch-Mage. He has gained access to a number of powerful Bear Magical Items. These items greatly improve his capabilities but can only be used by bears. He has become a great leader amongst the bears despite his small stature.

Campaign ideas: It's a CR 17 encounter with 43 HD and Epic Spell-Casting. Unless your party likes very high levels optimization, or your running the Tomb of Bear Horrors you probably shouldn't use this. Some of his feats and his spell selection have been left purposely blank as if I tried to fill it out it would probably TPK half the level 17 parties out there.