PDA

View Full Version : Persona in the Playground-At the Library

Philemonite
2013-11-20, 11:57 AM
Passing through the hallway Jessica nodded to few familiar faces trying to hide her current state. Her after school activities have been quite a pressure. Like her father always says: Preparation, Execution, Conclusion. Being just an operative was easy, all you had to do was Execution part. Yes, it was the most dangerous, but at least there was excitement. Gathering information and monitoring situation, the preparation part, was extremely boring. Analyzing the data was at least something new, but that wasn't enough to hold her attention.
"I hope I will at least get some action tomorrow, before Hades starts to complain." She thought, while rushing of to the library. Her grades have started to slip ever since she got promoted. Granted, she was never the best in her class, but she was always in top 10%, and no Shadow is going to spoil that. Her phone started to vibrate, it was a text from Benjamin-"Happy studying sis". It made her chuckle, he can be a real child sometimes. At least he came down, he wasn't in a very good mood this morning.
When she entered the library she noticed that Burkley was there, but she had more important things to do then to socialize with some new guy. Climbing the stairs she noticed that her favorite spot in the corner was unoccupied.
"Perfect." She whispered, while taking a seat and spreading her books for some heavy studying.

Xhosant
2013-11-22, 06:14 PM
Soga couldn't take his mind off the issue of building the team. Liu and Kid's reply was iffy at best, and in any case not pleasant. He came to the library, more to find a quiet corner that to study.

He grabbed a random book, something about mirrors and psychology (the other issue he couldn't get his mind off), and took a sit close to a window. As expected, he didn't pay it much attention, it was more an excuse than anything else.

He kinda liked the place, it was cozy. The abundance of wood made the place feel -and smell- warm, and the gentle sunrays coming through the window only made that feeling stronger. He felt himself slowly sliping into something reminiscent of sleep, but rather more awake. It was a lot like crossing the door that way, but pleasant. It's mirror side, you could say, he thought to himself and chuckled.

Just then, he noticed Jessica come upstairs. She was the most reasonable concerning the Mirrors, i think. Maybe I can get something out of her...

He greeted her as she passed by, although she seemed to be headed straight to a corner.

"Oh, Jessica-sempai. Hi there!"

Who's this Burkley? Also, apparently having nothing meaningful to say nor a sensible way to greet someone also results in a wall of text.

Morbis Meh
2013-11-22, 06:16 PM
Levi quietly prowled the halls of the academy, it was ever important for one to know their bearings when in a new location. So far his wandering had little to no interruptions, a fact that was a little disappointing to Levi since he did enjoy a good distraction. Most people shied away from the big man, these Japanese students were rather tiny and Levi always looked a person in the eye so it was to be expected that they looked away from the bold gaze.

Rounding the corner, Levi smiles at his discovery A library? How quaint. To be honest, Levi had brought his own personal library with him, one of the few advantages of having a wealthy father but nonetheless it could prove to be an amusing locale. The Russian walked boldly through the doors taking a moment to survey the present environment. The place was mostly populated with nobodies, mooks not worth his time. Levi took his time to quietly stroll through the sanctuary of learning hiding his probing by appearing to browse the various stacks of books. The bottom floor held no interest for the large man and soon he began climbing the stairs to the upper level. The rows of books in various languages held no interest to Levi but soon they parted revealing a hidden nook in the corner of the room.

My my my, what do we have here? This should prove to be entertaining at the very least. Levi kept a straight face, preferring not to give away his building satisfaction. He casually grabbed a book from the nearest shelf, 'Quantum Tunneling and its possible applications in Medical Research'. An outdated book but oh well it shall serve its purpose...

Wordlessly Levi approached the table, noting the single remaining chair at the table and the other occupant: His field commander from the past mission.

"Commader Jessica, may I request to sit at this table with you?" He kept his voice low but his accent made his speech sound louder than intended.

Philemonite
2013-11-29, 03:55 PM
"Oh, Jessica-sempai. Hi there!"

Who's this Burkley?

Jessica was surprised that someone would interrupt her here. Entire library knows that this is her special place for heavy studying.
He raised her head form the study material, ready to unleash a silent barrage of insults. Realizing that it is Soga, her internal rage subsided. For a second, her mind drifted to Alexandra's report. He is an adequate operative, but a little hot-headed. Well, Benjamin did pick him as a team leader, so he had to have some good qualities. After all, he did ask some interesting questions, so he is not a complete idiot.
"Tareso, correct?" She wasn't sure she got his last name right, but she wasn't about to use his first name.
"I didn't expect to see you here, you don't seem like a library type."
She tried not to sound aggressive, but there was still something hostile in her voice, no mater how hard she tried to hide it.

Will Burkley-Chase_D's character.:smalltongue:

"Commader Jessica, may I request to sit at this table with you?" He kept his voice low but his accent made his speech sound louder than intended.

"Another one?" She thought when the big Russian approached her. For a split second she observed him, there was something behind his eyes she didn't trust. It was her job, as the only sane commander, to make sure he doesn't make any trouble.
"Just Jessica, drop the title when we are in public. I don't want people to think I am into domination. I am already known as a bitch. Of course you can sit, this is a public library."
There was no way she could get rid of them now, they just keep multiplying. She will have to delay her studying, at least for a few minutes.

Morbis Meh
2013-11-29, 04:26 PM
A coy smile forms on the Russian's lips "As you wish but I think we both know that is exactly the case, is it not?" He gave a low chuckle as he took a set across from her, even sitting he was still almost as tall as the other man standing near the table. "I hear that word a great deal, it just gets thrown around carelessly it would seem but from what I can tell it usually refers to someone who isn't afraid to speak their mind and cut directly to the point. Type of person who is recquired to make split decisions and take consequences, in other words a proper field commander. I understand that this is public library but asking a cohabitant if it is acceptable to sit with them and dirsupt their current activitely is a sign of respect. I was taught to respect my superiors. Now I apologize for interupting your studies, please don't mind me and resume."

Xhosant
2013-11-29, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=Asteron Questar;16520018]Jessica was surprised that someone would interrupt her here. Entire library knows that this is her special place for heavy studying.
He raised her head form the study material, ready to unleash a silent barrage of insults. Realizing that it is Soga, her internal rage subsided. For a second, her mind drifted to Alexandra's report. He is an adequate operative, but a little hot-headed. Well, Benjamin did pick him as a team leader, so he had to have some good qualities. After all, he did ask some interesting questions, so he is not a complete idiot.
"Tareso, correct?" She wasn't sure she got his last name right, but she wasn't about to use his first name.
"I didn't expect to see you here, you don't seem like a library type."

"Yup, correct. I'm not the studious type, but few things can motivate you like curiosity", he replied, motioning with the book in a general manner. He sensed some vague aggression from her, but he couldn't be sure.

Turning to the newly-arrived Levi, he tried to extend a greeting to him, only to realize his name eluded him. He addressed him instead with a vague (and somewhat awkward) motion reminiscent of a subtle bow. His towering stature was amazing, but his speech held the elaborate detail of one aiming to amaze. Perhaps he was lacking what it took to appreciate it, but it didn't sit too well with him.

Regardless, he quietly took a sit nearby and scanned the book's contents for anything interesting. Remembering someone mentioned that the Mirrors were expected to target Levi, he figured he should try to learn what he could.

"So, how did our shared business go on your end?", he said to Levi quietly.

Oh, Will. I'm bad at linking names and surnames :smalltongue:

Philemonite
2013-12-05, 04:40 AM
"I hear that word a great deal, it just gets thrown around carelessly it would seem but from what I can tell it usually refers to someone who isn't afraid to speak their mind and cut directly to the point. Type of person who is recquired to make split decisions and take consequences, in other words a proper field commander."

"So, exactly opposite of what you are doing right now? Sweetie, don't insult my intelligence or yours. Cheep flattery only makes me think you are insecure, and that's not good. You can take all that flattery to Alexandra, she would probably blossom, but skip it when you are dealing with me, OK?"

"Yup, correct. I'm not the studious type, but few things can motivate you like curiosity"

Her expression changes from slightly aggressive to almost friendly.

"Then you came to the right place, we do have an amazing library. There are some quite rare books here, you can find them in that section." She points to the other side of the library.
"Most of those can not be checked out, so you will have to read them here. Unless you know someone who can help you. Anyway, if you ever need something you can usually find me here, this is my special place."

Morbis Meh
2013-12-05, 09:43 AM
Levi is actually stunned at the remark Wow... me being actually honest and I am being accused of flattery, this is a new one. He shrugs "Take it as you will, if you cannot take compliment then it be your problem not mine commander. In regards to your intelligence I have would have no viable indication of whether not it is the case considering this is the first time we have spoke face to face. It's ok if your paranoid around other people who can appreciate qualties others find distasteful I won't take offence. By the way, my actual reason for coming..." The big Russian quickly digs around in his bag and produces a thick stack of paper. He looks at Jessica and tosses it at her causing an audible thump "Here is my field report, it gives a general account of the mission, suggestions for team tactics, assessments of current team members, analytical description of encountered foes and I did some research into the markings. Whether or not it is useful is up to you but I cross referenced several occult sources with symbols from dead religions, mostly Mesopotamian due to their focus on apocolyptical prophesies."

Levi turns his head and stares blankly at 'Tareso' assessing and dimissing him quickly "Ask the commander for the report."

Philemonite
2013-12-05, 10:28 AM
"People who use compliments always have a hidden agenda. I am not paranoid, I am simply...aware."
She takes the report and flips through it with an amused look.
"That's interesting, Alexander will have a lot of fun with this. Tareso, can you take this to my father's office? And it wouldn't be the end of the world if you were to flip through it a little.:smallwink:"

Morbis Meh
2013-12-05, 10:44 AM
Levi chuckles "I only choose to engage in battles where I have distinct tactical advantage of winning. In this instance it is not the case, playing mind games with superior officer is just bad idea. With you I will guarantee that I will be direct and I will complete all and any assigned tasks. In my experience it makes work relationships much easier to stomach and reduces chance of bad blood. Have you ever tried serving under pissed off officer with grudge against you? It not pleasant and I vowed not to make the same mistake twice, now if you have any requests let me know because I seem to have an abundance of free time. Japanese curiculum much less strict than the one my father set for me."

Xhosant
2013-12-05, 10:52 AM
"Oh, what a shame, i thought a smart guy like you would love to trade information for the creatures that should have attacked you...", Soga joked at Levi. "Apparently I'll just have to play the curious courier instead, unless you've changed your mind?"

How will that work? Will Asteron, Levi or whoever PM me data?

"The catch with curiosity is, it's a fickle mistress. It rarely stays around long enough to teach you everything you'd like to know. That said, are there any recommended reads regarding our... extracurricular activities in this library? It's hard to think nobody had our hobby before."

andiemus
2013-12-12, 03:22 AM
There's a loud noise outside. People who look out would see a large second-year with cropped dark hair and a black leather messenger bag slapped haphazardly over his shoulder shouting into a nondescript black cell phone. It's not possible to understand what exactly he's saying as he speaks very rapidly, seeming to shift languages as he talks.

He enters the building and immediately makes his way to the stacks and starts poking around, muttering. He heads over to the desk.I want a book. Myth...ology? He's clearly still learning the language and speaks with an accent most people would find strange. After getting his directions he goes, grabs something off the shelf without looking to closely, and makes his way to the table. His face screws up in concentration, and he points to Jessica.

Jeeeeessica, right? We met yesterday.

Philemonite
2013-12-12, 12:16 PM
Levi chuckles "I only choose to engage in battles where I have distinct tactical advantage of winning. In this instance it is not the case, playing mind games with superior officer is just bad idea. With you I will guarantee that I will be direct and I will complete all and any assigned tasks. In my experience it makes work relationships much easier to stomach and reduces chance of bad blood. Have you ever tried serving under pissed off officer with grudge against you? It not pleasant and I vowed not to make the same mistake twice, now if you have any requests let me know because I seem to have an abundance of free time. Japanese curiculum much less strict than the one my father set for me."

"Now that would make me tingle if I was an optimist. I'll just be happy if you don't make any trouble. If you turn out to be actually helpful, that will be a pleasant surprise. And trust me, I know what it's like to have trouble with your superior. And when they're family it is truly special experience."

"Oh, what a shame, i thought a smart guy like you would love to trade information for the creatures that should have attacked you...", Soga joked at Levi. "Apparently I'll just have to play the curious courier instead, unless you've changed your mind?"

How will that work? Will Asteron, Levi or whoever PM me data?

"Since that's highly confidential information and you have no privilege at all, it's best to take what you can. Do remember I will deny I told you anything and act accordingly if you get caught somehow."

I guess Levi can PM you his impressions. Or you can just read their dungeon thread, that should be enough information.

"The catch with curiosity is, it's a fickle mistress. It rarely stays around long enough to teach you everything you'd like to know. That said, are there any recommended reads regarding our... extracurricular activities in this library? It's hard to think nobody had our hobby before."

"There are few interesting books in the special section. I guess I could pick a few for you, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. It's been a while since the last time I looked through those books. Remember, those books can not be checked out, so you will have to read them here."

Jeeeeessica, right? We met yesterday.

"Yes. You are the new guy, correct?" Without waiting for his answer she turns to the others. "You guys have the honor of being the first to meet your new teammate. He is a bit unpolished, but he is not that bad. he will be joining us tomorrow."

Xhosant
2013-12-12, 12:31 PM
"Since that's highly confidential information and you have no privilege at all, it's best to take what you can. Do remember I will deny I told you anything and act accordingly if you get caught somehow."

"There are few interesting books in the special section. I guess I could pick a few for you, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. It's been a while since the last time I looked through those books. Remember, those books can not be checked out, so you will have to read them here."

"Yea, yea, and the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of my actions, should I be caught or killed.", Soga replied with a sly smile. "Can't wait to poke around those books too. Best I make myself comfortable here, sounds like I'll spend a while around.

Turning to the newcomer, he raised his hand in greeting. "Welcome aboard! Name's Soga!"

andiemus
2013-12-12, 12:53 PM
"Yes. You are the new guy, correct?" Without waiting for his answer she turns to the others. "You guys have the honor of being the first to meet your new teammate. He is a bit unpolished, but he is not that bad. he will be joining us tomorrow."

He looks like he's about to affirm Jessica's answer, but looks surprised at her absolute disinterest in his response, and barely gets out a "ye-"

"Yea, yea, and the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of my actions, should I be caught or killed.", Soga replied with a sly smile. "Can't wait to poke around those books too. Best I make myself comfortable here, sounds like I'll spend a while around.

Turning to the newcomer, he raised his hand in greeting. "Welcome aboard! Name's Soga!"

Oh, so you guys are...? Ok then. Name's James. Mom and I just moved out here to... accommodate newly changed variables in our lives. Like Jess here says, big and scary as I am, I'm looking for the same thing anyone else is. Self-idealization, a sense of purpose, mythical adventures in Rabbit holes.... NAH! I'm just screwin' with ya! :biggrin: Now, what's this about getting caught and killed?

Xhosant
2013-12-12, 01:06 PM
Oh, so you guys are...? Ok then. Name's James. Mom and I just moved out here to... accommodate newly changed variables in our lives. Like Jess here says, big and scary as I am, I'm looking for the same thing anyone else is. Self-idealization, a sense of purpose, mythical adventures in Rabbit holes.... NAH! I'm just screwin' with ya! :biggrin: Now, what's this about getting caught and killed?

"That? It's what happens when you pull a Shadow's tail.", Soga joked at a low tone. "But rabbit holes are the one thing we have plenty of, so if you change your mind..."

Morbis Meh
2013-12-12, 03:43 PM
Levi nods "Believe me when I say you will find me more helpful than most... I am not afraid to accomplish the more unpleasant tasks that can crop up so if you need something that is done that is morally grey let me know and I will carry it out. At least you know your superior's buttons, that can be always helpful in negotiation."

Levi cracks a smile then turns his head when another is mention Finally someone I can look at without bending down. The big Russian stands up from his chair and regards the newcomer pensively before dismissing him, despite being tall Levi was still an inch or two taller and as always much broader. He looks back to Jessica "I give him two weeks before we put him in the ground, the otherside is no joking matter he will cause the death of himself or another before too long."

Xhosant
2013-12-12, 03:58 PM
"I give him two weeks before we put him in the ground, the otherside is no joking matter he will cause the death of himself or another before too long."

"Hey, big guy. Allow me to introduce you to my friend Morale. He's won more wars than you've ever heard about, and he loves humor and empty heroism. Alcohol too, but I doubt we can put that to use."

Except perhaps with a lighter...

Morbis Meh
2013-12-12, 04:05 PM
Levi chuckles "Funny, I do not recall asking your opinion on the matter but it is duly noted. He can rest at ease knowing that we will make his funneral 'jolly' but you have your facts mixed up. Wars are won and lost based on desperation and how far one side is willing to go. The last great war for example, allies were losing and America resorted to dropping two nuclear bombs. They didn't win because they coddled weak people, they won because they were willing to do what was required to win. Though your perspective is cute, I will give you that, maybe we could promote you to title 'Morale Officer' and you can make those motivational picture with cat posters on it? Would that make you feel better?"

Xhosant
2013-12-12, 04:13 PM
"Unless you can get nukes in there, which you can't, our war will be won on blades. And morale counts when you try to drive the sharp end in them."

"To be honest, that's why I dislike guns and bombs. It becomes all about who has them and points them first, not who can wield it the best. And that's boring."

"So, if you want to grow depressed, keep it off the guy that hasn't stepped through yet, right?"

"Speaking of, you'll need someone to fight along.", he said, turning to James. "How about you come with me? I've been told to gather people, and I'm a little short anyway."

Philemonite
2013-12-12, 04:32 PM

"Cuteness aside, don't cause me any trouble, please. I am not really on good terms with our favorite professor."

Levi nods "Believe me when I say you will find me more helpful than most... I am not afraid to accomplish the more unpleasant tasks that can crop up so if you need something that is done that is morally grey let me know and I will carry it out. At least you know your superior's buttons, that can be always helpful in negotiation."

"I give him two weeks before we put him in the ground, the otherside is no joking matter he will cause the death of himself or another before too long."

"I wish I knew, but I don't really know much about him. Actually, Benjamin knows a lot more than I do. And don't be so negative, I give him at least three weeks."

She didn't want to interfere with the rest of the debate. It was fun watching them, she didn't witness a show like this in quite some time.

Xhosant
2013-12-12, 04:44 PM
"Cuteness aside, don't cause me any trouble, please. I am not really on good terms with our favorite professor."

"Trust me, I'll take it to the grave. After a long while.", Soga added with a half-joking, half-angry stare towards Levi.

"Are you referring to Inoue-sensei? Why's that?"

Morbis Meh
2013-12-12, 04:49 PM
Levi looks at Jessica and raises an eyebrow "Three you say? Maybe I should start pool like some workplaces do for lottery, that would help with morale."

He laughs softly while grinning at Soga "It amuses me greatly that you didn't get point I was making, goes to show you are not learned in military history. I used a modern example because it would be something taught world wide. It had nothing to do with weapons and everything to do with going far enough to win. If you prefer archaic example then how about Sun Tzu, using tactics that are highly effective but are perceived as cowardous to the ignorant. In Middle Ages plague corpses were thrown into city walls during sieges to kill off the populace. Russia burns its crops and salts its fields when retreating during invasions killing countless numbers of people but they succeeded in repelling invading force. My point is a war is won by side who can and will make the hard choices not the one getting all warm in fuzzy because 'it's mean'."

Philemonite
2013-12-12, 05:02 PM
"Trust me, I'll take it to the grave. After a long while.", Soga added with a half-joking, half-angry stare towards Levi.

"Are you referring to Inoue-sensei? Why's that?"

"That's the only father I have." She answers with a sour smile.
"He wasn't really there while I was growing up. He was too busy with other obligations."

Xhosant
2013-12-12, 05:43 PM
"'When strong, avoid them. If at ease, exhaust them. If of high morale, depress them.' I am more versed in Sun Tzu than you seem to assume"

"I have no issue with savvy tactics, quite the contrary. But this isn't a game of chess, where pawns just do their thing. That said, I'm gonna drop a soda in your "pot" that you're in more trouble than anyone under my watch."

"Regardless, I'm not here to talk tactics. If you want to match wits over a wargame, that'll be another issue entirely."

"He wasn't really there while I was growing up. He was too busy with other obligations."

"Oh... I'm sorry. So he's always been involved with those creatures?"

andiemus
2013-12-12, 09:04 PM
I'm right here, guys.... besides, how long's it been for you lot? I suppose I could be wrong but if this is really as dangerous as you're saying it is I doubt any of you have been doing this since you were in diapers.

oblivion6
2013-12-13, 12:34 AM
Brianna quietly made her way back to the nonfiction section of the library, hoping to do a bit of studying--not for school of course, that was too much work, but trying to decipher a couple obscure references she had come across--before she locked herself in her room for the rest of the night and relaxed. She stopped dead in her tracks when she heard Levi's familiar deep voice. My my, what have we here? She thought as she saw the diverse group of people around the table. She almost shrugged it off and left but curiousity got the best of her. No harm in a bit of eavesfropping was there? She attempted to hide herself behind a nearby shelf before anyone noticed her and pretended like she was busy looking for a book. It wasn't a good plan, hiding almost in plain sight, but it should hold so long as she avoided atttracting their notice. She hoped.

Philemonite
2013-12-13, 04:53 AM
"Oh... I'm sorry. So he's always been involved with those creatures?"

A slight chuckle, her reaction to Soga's last comment, disappeared from her face.
"He has been actively dealing with them for about 15 years. But that's not really my story to tell, it's Benjamin's. It does involve his mother."

I'm right here, guys.... besides, how long's it been for you lot? I suppose I could be wrong but if this is really as dangerous as you're saying it is I doubt any of you have been doing this since you were in diapers.

"Two years of field work and a week in command. But Hades and I go way back, before I actually joined the project."

andiemus
2013-12-13, 05:05 AM
James frowns slightly and his face creases a bit.

Hades, huh? That's... grim. Not much of a conversationalist I'd imagine. "I am lord of the gray and bland. I bring dreariness everywhere I go"

Morbis Meh
2013-12-13, 11:34 AM
Levi shakes his head "I suppose there is nothing one can do about ignorance, some people just can not see the forest for the trees. You read but you do not comprehend, I pity those under 'your watch' there is nothing worse than being placed under an incompetent. Also games are for children so keep them to yourself." His look hardens for a moment at his final sentence hinting at a more sinister meaning. The big man keeps ignoring the new comer and looks at Jessica "If you have no other task for me commander then I shall take my leave, I will leave you to babysit." Out of the corner of his eye Levi noticed a figure standing in a rather conspicuous spot.

He leaves from a different way he came then quietly, much quieter than anyone would ever suspect one so large to be, he walks up to the figure slowly. He analysed the back of the person and he made the assumption it was Brianna, hey he got a good look at her walking away not so long ago. "So hear anything interesting?"

Xhosant
2013-12-13, 01:27 PM
"He has been actively dealing with them for about 15 years. But that's not really my story to tell, it's Benjamin's. It does involve his mother."

"I see. I'm sorry, I pried too deep."

They don't share a mother? And does this have to do with Benjamin's hatred for Mirrors?

"So, James. Don't let the big guy drag you down. From what little I've seen, and the watchful eye of our guides, I'd say it's more a brawl than a war. For now at least."

andiemus
2013-12-13, 02:13 PM
You know, I was about to ask if everyone here has a stick up their cloaca or if I just brought it out in people. Seems like it could go either way, really.

Xhosant
2013-12-13, 04:49 PM
You know, I was about to ask if everyone here has a stick up their cloaca or if I just brought it out in people. Seems like it could go either way, really.

"Well, he didn't seem like the kind of guy to be aggressive earlier, but then again there's something odd about him. Maybe I'm just distracted by his accent.", Soga replies with a shrug.

"What do you make of him, Jessica-senpai? Is he trustworthy material?"

oblivion6
2013-12-13, 08:55 PM
Brianna jumped when Levi came up behind her and startled her. "Fu-" She caught herself. "Plenty. Though nothing that answers my current question about amnesia, miasma, prions and agnosia..." She didn't let any sign of their earlier arguement show in her voice.