PDA

View Full Version : TF2 New Weapon Prediction, Brainstorming, and Wishing For

Tectonic Robot
2013-11-20, 12:37 PM
Hello, and welcome! This is a thread for three general things:

1.) Predicting what new weapons are likely to show up in later TF2 updates!

2.) Coming up with weapons that you think would be interesting and fun to see! No idea is a bad idea while brainstorming!

3.) Wishful thinking about the weapon of your dreams! How would you want older weapons to work, as opposed to their modern incarnations? What would you change, if you could?

Have fun, go crazy, etc. etc.

gooddragon1
2013-11-20, 11:30 PM
Sticky Mine Launcher
~Stickies detonate by proximity (not too large) rather than manually.
~Stickies cause targets affected by them to take 10 initial damage and 1 bleeding damage per second per sticky mine that affects them (maximum 5) and 20% movement speed reduction (does not increase with additional stickies mine affecting them)
~Can have a maximum of 5 sticky mines deployed at any 1 time
~Sticky mine effects have no duration but go away on death, spawn room health cabinet, and crouching for 1 second (for every second crouching 1 sticky mine effect is removed)

That's some nice battlefield control.

Tectonic Robot
2013-11-21, 11:12 AM
Sticky Mine Launcher
~Stickies detonate by proximity (not too large) rather than manually.
~Stickies cause targets affected by them to take 10 initial damage and 1 bleeding damage per second per sticky mine that affects them (maximum 5) and 20% movement speed reduction (does not increase with additional stickies mine affecting them)
~Can have a maximum of 5 sticky mines deployed at any 1 time
~Sticky mine effects have no duration but go away on death, spawn room health cabinet, and crouching for 1 second (for every second crouching 1 sticky mine effect is removed)

That's some nice battlefield control.

That's certainly an interesting weapon. I'm not sure how fun it'd be to play with, though: You wouldn't get much visceral pleasure from hearing the mines activate, yet the slow effect would be annoying enough to make the sticky launcher the new mini-sentry.

There's a reason why there hasn't been any weapons that duplicate the sandman's effect, you know. Players really don't like it when they lose control of their movement options. Natascha, too, pretty crazy. I think people would complain about it, not being overpowered (It's probably less powerful than the regular sticky launcher, which just blows people up) but because it wouldn't be very fun to play against.

Still, that kind of idea is neat! Props for the idea!

Togath
2013-11-21, 12:27 PM
I've often wondered about how useful an inverted direct hit would be, a larger explosion radius for lower damage.

For a more unique weapon, perhaps a throwable oil can for the engy?
Repairing/Reloading buildings within the radius at the normal metal cost, while also revealing cloaked spies in the area of the splash(as with mad milk and jarate).

gooddragon1
2013-11-22, 08:55 AM
I've often wondered about how useful an inverted direct hit would be, a larger explosion radius for lower damage.

For a more unique weapon, perhaps a throwable oil can for the engy?
Repairing/Reloading buildings within the radius at the normal metal cost, while also revealing cloaked spies in the area of the splash(as with mad milk and jarate).

Flame attacks are crits?
Also always wanted a silenced m4 for the soldier. That and an astartes bolter.

Balmas
2013-11-22, 11:49 AM
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/thumb/b/bc/GoldenFryingPan.png/250px-GoldenFryingPan.png?t=20131122065730 (http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Golden_Frying_Pan)

Selling entire backpack for! :smalltongue:

In case there was ever any doubt on which melee is supreme, it is the pan. Pan and saxxy, the only weapon which can be used by everyone!

gooddragon1
2013-11-24, 10:25 PM
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/thumb/b/bc/GoldenFryingPan.png/250px-GoldenFryingPan.png?t=20131122065730 (http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Golden_Frying_Pan)

Selling entire backpack for! :smalltongue:

In case there was ever any doubt on which melee is supreme, it is the pan. Pan and saxxy, the only weapon which can be used by everyone!

Pan cannot be used by everyone. Not spy otherwise I'd use it to backstab. With a frying pan.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-11-24, 11:17 PM
I see no problem with pan backstabs. :smallbiggrin:

Balmas
2013-11-24, 11:55 PM
Pan cannot be used by everyone. Not spy otherwise I'd use it to backstab. With a frying pan.

The golden frying pan is all-class.

Blackdrop
2013-11-25, 03:28 AM
Personally, I'd rather they fine-tune the balance of the existing weapons before Valve puts more weapons into the game. Particularly is regards to: the Pyro's weaponry, the Heavy's miniguns, the Spy's Knives, and the Sniper's Secondarys.

Tectonic Robot
2013-11-25, 10:33 AM
Personally, I'd rather they fine-tune the balance of the existing weapons before Valve puts more weapons into the game. Particularly is regards to: the Pyro's weaponry, the Heavy's miniguns, the Spy's Knives, and the Sniper's Secondarys.

In what ways would you want them changed, Mr. Osiris?

Balmas
2013-11-25, 01:41 PM
In what ways would you want them changed, Mr. Osiris?

Well, let's start with the Pyro, since he's the one I'm most familiar with.

Stock Pyro, to put it bluntly, is a joke. Overpowered against new players, hopeless against players that know what they're doing, and dependent on unlocks and combos for damage, he's countered by... pretty much all of the other classes. This is due, mostly, two three limitations imposed on Pyro: Range, damage, and Valve's mentality about unlocks.

RANGE
Let's talk a bit about range. Most classes have a distance at which they do best. Soldiers, demos, and heavies do best at medium range, snipers at long, and scouts, pyros, and spys at close range. The only problem is that while there's an optimum range for each class, most of them have an option for distances at which they don't excel. Sniper has jarate or an SMG, soldier has his shotgun, demoman can charge his stickies for long ranges, and spy has his revolver.

Pyro doesn't have that. She has her flamethrower -- a short range weapon -- and his shotgun, which is... short to medium range. He has a collection of flare guns for long range options, but these depend mostly on afterburn for their effects, and afterburn has far too many counters already.

In order to get into the range at which Pyro can deal its damage, she must either ambush or flank his victims. In some maps, this isn't a problem. There are corridors, alternate paths, ways to get around and behind the enemy. If, however, you're on a map that doesn't favor you, like Dustbowl, or 2Fort, or anything that has large, open sightlines, an aware, competent team will destroy you.

DAMAGE
Okay. Pyro is limited in range, only able to do his job at short to medium range. Let's pretend that this is okay. After all, Pyro is supposed to be a demon in close combat, absolutely annihilating anything that's stupid enough to get into close quarters with him, right?

Well... Yeah, about that.

Damage Per Second. DPS. In a game where you're killing people as a job, how much damage you can put out, and how quickly you can do it, is critical. That's why heavies are so dangerous; they can deal a lot of damage in a short amount of time. Ditto for Snipers and scouts: they can get to where they need to be, and deal a lot of damage in a short amount of time.

In terms of DPS, pyro is... shall we say, less than stellar? Let's assume that, somehow, a team has allowed you to get close. Your ping is amazing, so you don't have to deal with the fact that where the flame is on your screen isn't actually where the damage particles are going in the game. You see the solder, you run up to the soldier, you pull the trigger on your flamethrower... And the soldier spins around, shoots two rockets in your face, and you're dead.

Fact is, pyro's primary is just not up to snuff. At maximum ramp up, it deals 153 damage per second. Compare that to the Scout and soldier, each of whom does around 180 DPS. This isn't even taking into account that this number is if you're right next to the enemy. More than likely, they're at the very edge of your flamethrower range, and taking only half that number. If you want to deal any damage, and reliably kill people, you'll need to use combos. And that means... *shudder* unlocks.

UNLOCKS
Let me just say this. *ahem* "Balancing a class around unlocks is bad game design."

There. Is that hard to understand?

There is currently one really good Pyro loadout: Degreaser, Flare Gun, Axtinguisher. This is because it allows for long range, short range, and the all important burst damage that Pyro sorely lacks. It's also, entirely made of unlocks. It's also entirely made up of unlocks, items which you can pick up and use as an alternative.

However, these alternatives don't actually fix the class itself and the issues that surround it. If anything, it locks pyro into a niche role, dependent on afterburn for combos. Is it too much to ask to be able to kill people with, you know, fire?

There are other issues facing the Pyro, like flame detection being based on server-side detection, but those are the three major ones, I think.

Togath
2013-11-25, 02:25 PM
First off.. why degreaser?
Aren't the stock(for the air blast) or the Backburner(also crit if you're in a situation where you'd be using it) better?
And.. doesn't the air blast help with the soldiers*/demos issue? Since a good pyro will usually be immune to rockets and bombs. It also helps vs. other pyros.

Moving onto the secondary, it seems like the Scorch Shot(for the pushback and aoe, as well as the flare jump) or the Detonator(again, good aoe, as well as a minor flare jump) are both fairly deadly.

Finally for melee.. Axtinguisher is indeed decent, but I do find it odd that you didn't mention the Powerjack(enough move speed to actually get into melee range), Sharpened Volcano Fragment(for more dots), or the Neon Annihilator(for maps with decent amounts of water, such as many ctf ones)

Overall, while it's direct damage is a bit low, I don't get why you didn't take it's damage over time into more consideration, nor it's aoe effectiveness.
*and doesn't the soldier's splash damage make them weak at point blank range?

Geno9999
2013-11-25, 03:18 PM
Aren't the stock(for the air blast) or the Backburner(also crit if you're in a situation where you'd be using it) better?

What.

The Degreaser can airblast too, it's the Phlogistinator that can't airblast at all, and the Backburner suffers from increased airblast cost. What the Degreaser loses compared to the Stock flamethrower is reduced DoT and base damage.

But that's not why players use the Degreaser. It gives a boost to Weapon Swap speed (by 65% by the by,) which paired with the Axtingisher, Flare Gun, or the Reserve Shooter, means that the Pyro can kill most classes before they can respond.

Moving onto the secondary, it seems like the Scorch Shot(for the pushback and aoe, as well as the flare jump) or the Detonator(again, good aoe, as well as a minor flare jump) are both fairly deadly.
The Scorch shot does crap damage. The only use I get out of it is the potential to knock someone off into a environmental hazard, but otherwise it's horrible.

The Detonator... is okay, but feels like it's hard to actually hit more than one player with the explosion. Otherwise, the Flare Gun is a much better alternative.

You're also forgetting about the Manmelter, which is an awesome weapon in my opinion, and synergies well not only with the Phlog, but also with the Back Burner.

Finally, the Flarejumps are nothing to write home about, since they don't help the Pyro's maneuverability as much as, say, Explosive jumping or even Scout's Double Jump.

Finally for melee.. Axtinguisher is indeed decent, but I do find it odd that you didn't mention the Powerjack(enough move speed to actually get into melee range), Sharpened Volcano Fragment(for more dots), or the Neon Annihilator(for maps with decent amounts of water, such as many ctf ones)

Overall, while it's direct damage is a bit low, I don't get why you didn't take it's damage over time into more consideration, nor it's aoe effectiveness.

The Sharpened Volcano Fragment is a terrible Melee weapon, since it has a lower base damage than the stock, AND it's special effect (applies burn) IS ON A CLASS WHOSE MAIN SCHTICK IS ALREADY SETTING THINGS ON FIRE, AND WITH A BETTER WEAPON TO DO IT WITH (namely, the Flamethrower or even the Flare Guns.) It's only used in Medieval mode, and even then, the buff to the Chargin' Targe (afterburn immunity) makes it worthless even there!

The Annihilator is a hilarious weapon to use though, and works on Milked or Jarated targets too.

Overall, it doesn't change what Balmas is saying; stock Pyro is terrible, and balancing Classes around unlocks is terrible design. Personally, I feel it's more like how people play Pyro (charging face first into danger, while holding down M1) rather than how he's supposed to be played (namely, ambushing targets, sowing chaos and death with fire DoTs.) A few of his unlocks help with this strategy (Backburner, Degreaser + Axtingisher.)

Balmas
2013-11-25, 03:20 PM

Degreaser is usually seen as a direct upgrade to stock. It does less damage, granted, but the much quicker switch speed means that it's easier to pull off combos with the flare gun and axtinguisher.

Also, a small note about Damage Over Time. Different sources of fire DOT do not stack. So if you whack someone with the Volcano Fragment (3 Damage per second), hit them with the flare (3 damage per second), and then spray some degreaser fire (2 damage per second) on them, the last source of fire damage, the degreaser, will be the only one to apply.

That's part of the reason why afterburn is such a joke. One of the myths of pyros is that if you rush in, spray fire everywhere, and catch the team on fire, people will panic and all run for the health packs. Instant chaos! Not so much. Afterburn will only kill someone if they're already low on health.

And let's not forget all the ways that afterburn is countered. In addition to any handy medpacks, we have

Jarate
Mad Milk
Chargin' Targe
Mediguns
Amputator
Kritzkrieg taunt
Dead Ringer
Spycicle
Persian Persuader (your dropped weapon is instantly a medpack
Candy Cane (when they kill you, you drop a medpack.

I don't deny that the other flare guns have their use. However, they lack the killing potential of the Flare Gun. If I'm going to have a projectile weapon, it's going to be one that can actually kill people, instead of mildly inconveniencing them.

Neon annihilator doesn't really compare to axtinguisher, simply because with one, you can do the combo by yourself, and the other depends on the enemy to be stupid.

Powerjack is a good sidegrade to the fireaxe. Whip it out when the enemy isn't around, or when you're low on health and going to die anyway. Still doesn't have the stopping power of the axtinguisher.

As noted above, SVF doesn't actually add to DOT. If you're in melee range, you'd be better served to either use your flamethrower, or puff and sting.

*and doesn't the soldier's splash damage make them weak at point blank range?

As stated before, damage over time is a joke. Thirty damage over ten seconds is... underwhelming, at best. Afterburn, if anything, is useful for the combos it allows.

Still think that DOT should be only pyros... Stupid scouts and their stupid cleavers doing more damage in less time...

And yes, Soldiers do take damage when they shoot targets too close to them. However, they'll take perhaps 30 damage, while you'll take 120 point blank.

Mando Knight
2013-11-25, 03:30 PM
~Can have a maximum of 5 sticky mines deployed at any 1 timeWhich means you need to land all five in order to get the punishment doled out by one or two stickies. A bloody mess of giblets is a stronger status to inflict on your opponents than 20% speed reduction and 5 DPS.

Crouching for recovery instead of health kits is completely different from all other bleed... not that great for clarity. The indefinite duration is also questionable design, despite the damage being relatively terrible.

Togath
2013-11-25, 03:34 PM
I hadn't known about the non stacking fire damage.. or for that matter that it was only 30 damage:smallredface:
I'd assumed it was higher than the cleaver, for the same reason you mentioned :smallsmile:
I can definitely see the advantages of the Degreaser then.

Mando Knight
2013-11-25, 03:40 PM
Fire damage is twice a second, like bleed. Bleed will generally deliver 10 ticks of 4 damage, fire is generally 20 ticks of 2 (Degreaser) or 3 (everything else)... except for the Mangler's charge shot, which only lasts for 12 ticks.

Neither one will generally deliver a direct kill if the target was at full or near full health before you shot them, though.

Geno9999
2013-11-25, 03:43 PM
Yeah, non-stacking Fire DoTs really sucks, but on the flipside, if it can stack, then the Flamethrower would be the most powerful weapon in the game, just because of how many projectiles it actually spews.

I would personally like a buff to Fire DoT in general, buffing it to 8 damage per second, so that it is on par with Bleeding damage, or alternatively nerf the Bleeding DoT.

Balmas
2013-11-25, 03:44 PM
Fire damage is twice a second, like bleed. Bleed will generally deliver 10 ticks of 4 damage, fire is generally 20 ticks of 2 (Degreaser) or 3 (everything else)... except for the Mangler's charge shot, which only lasts for 12 ticks.

Neither one will generally deliver a direct kill if the target was at full or near full health before you shot them, though.

*checks the wiki*

Huh. You are correct, good sir. Have a cookie. (::)

Yeah, non-stacking Fire DoTs really sucks, but on the flipside, if it can stack, then the Flamethrower would be the most powerful weapon in the game, just because of how many projectiles it actually spews.

You mean, people might actually have to be afraid of a pyro lighting them on fire? :smallamused:

Blackdrop
2013-11-25, 08:45 PM
Balmas and Mr. Geno just about hit the nail on the head. The only thing I would disagree with is that D/F/A is the only good loadout. The one that I've been using recently, to a great deal of success, is Degreaser/Shotgun/Powerjack, for dealing with irritating Scouts, Pyros, and Demomen with the Charge n Targe. Though everything else still stands.

gooddragon1
2013-11-25, 11:22 PM
You mean, people might actually have to be afraid of a pyro lighting them on fire? :smallamused:

The only questionable thing I feel is that the heavy has a spin up time to do his insane damage at close range and is slower to move. While the pyro has less hp he should not outpace the heavy in damage potential because he has no spin up time and is faster. He at least should not outpace the heavy in damage potential for maybe 5 seconds of continuous attack.

Blackdrop
2013-11-26, 01:02 AM
Actually, I'd argue the opposite, since the Pyro is an Attack class and the Heavy is a Defense class, the Pyro should be doing more damage, faster.

Personally my ideal changes to the flamethrowers are:

-For Stock/Rainblower, play up the pyros 2 relatively unique things: easy access to afterburn and the airblast. Turn up the the afterburn damage to 4/tick for the same 20 ticks and cut the airblast cost in half, from 20 ammo to 10 ammo. This should create good, general weapon the plays up the Pyro's role as a crowd control specialist.

-For the Backburner, give it a 20% damage penalty and widen the crit area from ~90 degrees to around 120-140 degree range and have it do the full, non-penalty crit damage in that range, similar to the Axtinguisher. Also, the Backburner would keep its current afterburn damage, so it would essentially have a 25% afterburn penalty as well. To compensate I would also drop its current airblast cost from 50 to 25. Gear the Backburner to be more of a roamer weapon that isn't good in a straight fight, but is devastating if you can ambush the enemy team.

-For the Degreaser, remove the damage penalty, use the new afterburn damage of 4/tick but cut the time down from 20 ticks to 10, and lower the weapon switch speed bonus from 65% to 50%. Maintain the ability to combo, but shorten the window for the combos. The Degreaser would also keep its current airblast cost of 20 ammo.

-For the Phlogistinator, well I wouldn't so much as balance it, as I would make it less obnoxious then it currently is. I would make it so the Mmmph! only gives you a medium medpack amount of health, rather then a full one, and I would bring it line with several of the other charged weapons (such as the Soda Popper and the Buff Banner) and have it do mini-crit damage, rather then full crit damage.

Mando Knight
2013-11-26, 01:23 AM
Actually, I'd argue the opposite, since the Pyro is an Attack class and the Heavy is a Defense class, the Pyro should be doing more damage, faster.

Heavy is listed as "Defense" because while he shreds anything that gets within a meter or two of his minigun, he's ponderously slow, relying on high HP and using the objective to force opponents to come to him. If the Pyro's flamethrower was stronger than the Heavy's minigun, the only thing the Heavy would have over Pyro would be HP... you'd see a lot more Pyros rushing in to burn everything down, since they would be able to almost guarantee a kill if they got into range.

Balmas
2013-11-26, 02:13 AM
Heavy is listed as "Defense" because while he shreds anything that gets within a meter or two of his minigun, he's ponderously slow, relying on high HP and using the objective to force opponents to come to him. If the Pyro's flamethrower was stronger than the Heavy's minigun, the only thing the Heavy would have over Pyro would be HP... you'd see a lot more Pyros rushing in to burn everything down, since they would be able to almost guarantee a kill if they got into range.

That's kind of the point. If a pyro gets in range of a heavy, he deserves to get that kill.

My thought process was to make flame damage over time from all sources stack, and lower how much damage per tick is done. One tick of damage per source of flame damage means that if they only nick you, not much is done, while a protracted firefight means that you're dying in seconds unless you can find a health pack.

Thufir
2013-11-26, 10:20 AM

Except that designation is really inaccurate. Pyro is actually much better on defense than offense, because it's biggest strength is zoning.

Tectonic Robot
2013-11-26, 10:46 AM

Personally my ideal changes to the flamethrowers are:

-For Stock/Rainblower, play up the pyros 2 relatively unique things: easy access to afterburn and the airblast. Turn up the the afterburn damage to 4/tick for the same 20 ticks and cut the airblast cost in half, from 20 ammo to 10 ammo. This should create good, general weapon the plays up the Pyro's role as a crowd control specialist.

-For the Backburner, give it a 20% damage penalty and widen the crit area from ~90 degrees to around 120-140 degree range and have it do the full, non-penalty crit damage in that range, similar to the Axtinguisher. Also, the Backburner would keep its current afterburn damage, so it would essentially have a 25% afterburn penalty as well. To compensate I would also drop its current airblast cost from 50 to 25. Gear the Backburner to be more of a roamer weapon that isn't good in a straight fight, but is devastating if you can ambush the enemy team.

-For the Degreaser, remove the damage penalty, use the new afterburn damage of 4/tick but cut the time down from 20 ticks to 10, and lower the weapon switch speed bonus from 65% to 50%. Maintain the ability to combo, but shorten the window for the combos. The Degreaser would also keep its current airblast cost of 20 ammo.

-For the Phlogistinator, well I wouldn't so much as balance it, as I would make it less obnoxious then it currently is. I would make it so the Mmmph! only gives you a medium medpack amount of health, rather then a full one, and I would bring it line with several of the other charged weapons (such as the Soda Popper and the Buff Banner) and have it do mini-crit damage, rather then full crit damage.

Those sound like solid ideas, except that the Phlogistinator changes would make it by far the worst choice.

That's kind of the point. If a pyro gets in range of a heavy, he deserves to get that kill.

My thought process was to make flame damage over time from all sources stack, and lower how much damage per tick is done. One tick of damage per source of flame damage means that if they only nick you, not much is done, while a protracted firefight means that you're dying in seconds unless you can find a health pack.

If a pyro could kill a heavy once he got in range of it, then pyro's would be all that's used at lower levels of play. I guess a big problem is that it's a lot easier to play pyro than other classes; aiming isn't much of an issue and on public servers you can into flame-range of other mercenaries fairly easily. If you increased flame damage, then you run the risk of making a game over scenario if one pyro starts setting things on fire.

Pyropocalypse.

Mando Knight
2013-11-26, 11:14 AM

A determined Pyro doesn't need to do much to get into range of a Heavy. And the worries about them almost always getting a kill are for every other class, as well. Giving the minigun's damage to a weapon on a class with standard speed and doesn't need to spin up would be ludicrous. The Spy and Sniper at least pay for their instant kills with the need for skill and relative fragility. A minigun-strength flamethrower would make the Pyro absolutely ludicrous.

Geno9999
2013-11-26, 11:41 AM
T
If a pyro could kill a heavy once he got in range of it, then pyro's would be all that's used at lower levels of play. I guess a big problem is that it's a lot easier to play pyro than other classes; aiming isn't much of an issue and on public servers you can into flame-range of other mercenaries fairly easily. If you increased flame damage, then you run the risk of making a game over scenario if one pyro starts setting things on fire.

Pyropocalypse.

I agree with Tect here. Pyro with Minigun-power flamethrower with none of the downsides would be utterly broken to fight against, and not in a fun or good way either. Also, I don't think we should be measuring the Pyro's ability to kill things by how fast he can kill a Heavy, because isn't the Heavy supposed to be one of the Pyro's counters?:smallconfused:

Tectonic Robot
2013-11-26, 01:14 PM
To bring the discussion away from pyros for a moment: I, for one, would very much enjoy ray guns for every class. I think that would be very cool. The general formula seems reduced damage and loss of hit scan for infinite ammo, and usually piercing. What sorts of raygun type weapons would you think be the most balanced and fun for the classes?

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-11-27, 04:40 PM
Oh, what I wouldn't give for a Buck Rogers-style TF2, replete with goofy space helmets HATS.

The Soldier would have your standard-issue zap-blaster with a big oomph. Heavy would have something closer to a Tesla coil, perhaps? Demo is trickier, because the playstyle doesn't lend itself to that...

Tectonic Robot
2013-11-27, 04:45 PM
Oh, what I wouldn't give for a Buck Rogers-style TF2, replete with goofy space helmets HATS.

The Soldier would have your standard-issue zap-blaster with a big oomph. Heavy would have something closer to a Tesla coil, perhaps? Demo is trickier, because the playstyle doesn't lend itself to that...

The soldier already has a ray gun. =p

I imagine a sort of lightning-cannon for the heavy... longer range, slower firing rate. More of a barrage weapon than a suppression weapon.

Balmas
2013-11-27, 05:52 PM
The soldier already has a ray gun. =p

Two, actually. :smallbiggrin:

I imagine a sort of lightning-cannon for the heavy... longer range, slower firing rate. More of a barrage weapon than a suppression weapon.

The only problem I have with this is that it feels a lot like the rocket launcher. Unless you're thinking more like a constant stream of lightning coming out?

Sniper: Already has the Machina.
Engie: Already has the Pomson
Soldier: DAT BISON

Spy: It's hard to imagine Spy with anything but a revolver, simply for tradition's sake. Also, I can't imagine that a gaudy, flashy laser pistol would work with a sneaky spy.

Scout: I could see either a laser shotgun or a lightsaber. Ooh! Give Scout a dubstep cannon!

Medic: Maybe a medigun with unlimited range, but that he actually has to aim? Skill ceiling would be a bit higher. Truth to tell, most of his weapons are already pretty laser-beam-ish.

Demoman: No.

Pyro: Already has the Phlog.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-11-27, 06:13 PM
Heh. Shows how much I know about all them weapons. xD

What about giving the Spy a raygun-in-a-pen? You get the "superspy of mystery!" effect and a raygun!

Tectonic Robot
2013-11-27, 06:30 PM
Two, actually. :smallbiggrin:

The only problem I have with this is that it feels a lot like the rocket launcher. Unless you're thinking more like a constant stream of lightning coming out?

Sniper: Already has the Machina.
Engie: Already has the Pomson
Soldier: DAT BISON

Spy: It's hard to imagine Spy with anything but a revolver, simply for tradition's sake. Also, I can't imagine that a gaudy, flashy laser pistol would work with a sneaky spy.

Scout: I could see either a laser shotgun or a lightsaber. Ooh! Give Scout a dubstep cannon!

Medic: Maybe a medigun with unlimited range, but that he actually has to aim? Skill ceiling would be a bit higher. Truth to tell, most of his weapons are already pretty laser-beam-ish.

Demoman: No.

Pyro: Already has the Phlog.

I would not consider the machina a ray gun by any stretch of the term...

Balmas
2013-11-27, 07:04 PM
I would not consider the machina a ray gun by any stretch of the term...

It's a rifle that shoots lasers. What's not ray-gunny about it?

Mando Knight
2013-11-27, 07:34 PM
It's a rifle that shoots lasers. What's not ray-gunny about it?

It's not a laser, though. It's a really obvious tracer. And it makes normal gun sounds instead of ray gun sounds.

Togath
2013-11-27, 08:00 PM
But it's meant to be a laser riflemini railgun (http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Machina)? Seems like that, and it's piercing aspect would count, if we're counting the plhog as well anyway,

Balmas
2013-11-27, 08:07 PM
But it's meant to be a laser rifle?

Strictly speaking, the wiki says that it's a rail gun. So, conventional projectile, unconventional method of getting it to penetration speed.

And I don't care what the wiki says, or what the description says. That thing has as much in common with a tracer as a megalodon has with a guppy.

NeoVid
2013-11-27, 08:27 PM

Give the Spy a silent-killing disintegrator. Totally fair.

Happy Gravity
2013-11-27, 08:42 PM
One shot, one kill. Valve please.

Tectonic Robot
2013-11-27, 09:00 PM
The machina looks like a realistically futuristic weapon: The other ray guns are how the people in the 1950's thought the future would look like. The aesthetic is completely off! I want a ray gun which looks like the other ray guns, darn it.

Alabenson
2013-11-27, 10:06 PM

You mean like Your Eternal Reward :smalltongue:

Thufir
2013-11-28, 12:12 AM
IIRC, Weta Workshop did have a couple more sets to bring out. One for Scout and one for Medic, I think.

Tectonic Robot
2013-11-28, 12:50 AM
IIRC, Weta Workshop did have a couple more sets to bring out. One for Scout and one for Medic, I think.

Well, let me just... check...

Sweet devil's dumplings... (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=9231)

These both look exceedingly awesome! (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=9232)

I can't choose! D: D: D:

Edit: ...And those two are nearly 23 months old. Oh, dear.