PDA

View Full Version : Which Campaign Should I Run?

kyuubigan
2013-11-20, 01:01 PM
Greetings all!

I've been part of the same gaming group for a better part of a decade, and that's because everyone in the group has DM/GM/been the Storyteller at one point. It allows us to keep playing on a regular basis without burning out one person.

I say this because soon it will be my run in the rotation to GM and I'm caught between two campaign ideas, both of which shows a lot of promise. Which is why I'm humbly asking the Playground for assistance in choosing which game I should run. Please note I have a couple of months before I actually have to start running.

Idea #1: Clash of the Champions

System: Tri-Stat/Silver Age Sentinels/Big Eyes, Small Mouth.

Power Level:Moderate to High

Story: Before character creations, the players will draw slips of paper. On these papers will be their starting point total (ranging from 500 - 200) as well as a particular superhero archetype (Flying Power House, Peak Human, Speedster, etc.). Using these, the players will create an original superhero team. After character creation is finished the players will be instantly transported to a massive ruined city, where a weird pink haired girl will explain that a massive threat to all the cosmos is approaching. She will go on to explain that three other teams of heroes are also present, and that they will battle to determine which of all these champions will be deemed strong enough to combat the coming disaster.

Premise: This scenario is simply a massive battle royal between the players, heroes from the Marvel and DC universel, and a select group of heroes from various anime/manga. The teams besides the players are as follows:

DC Team: Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Swamp Thing

Marvel Team: Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man, Quasar (Phyla-Vell), Storm

Anime Team: Goku (Dragonball Z), Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail), Shirahama Kenichi (History's Strongest Disciple), Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto), Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist), Korra (Legend of Korra)

Reason's to Run:

I'm very familiar with the system being used.
Just a fun idea; Nothing deep or complicated.
Chance to unwind after the last couple of games.

Reason's Not to Run:

My players are very experienced, and might not enjoy the rather simple set up.
Not all of them are big into anime/manga like I am, and might resent those characters matching against comic book heroes evenly.
All of them possess near encyclopedic comic book knowledge, so I might be called on some inconsistencies or if they think one character should or shouldn't be beating another.

Idea #2: Mass Effect

System: Shadowrun 5th edition

Power Level: Low to Moderate

Story: I have a couple of ideas of how the players get together, either their all member's of a SPECTRE's team; they're members of an honorable mercenary group; or they're all on the same ship bound for a life of slavery. Either way, the group becomes a cohesive unit because of their circumstances, but then a curve-ball is thrown. The SPECTRE they serve under is accused of corruption and flees; the mercenary group they're a part of is mostly wiped out by Archangel; or the group that attempted to enslave them is causing more trouble. Either way, the players must strive to resolve the series of conflicts and trials that arise from their actions and pasts.

Premise: This game is pretty much a sandbox campaign set within the Mass Effect universe. It will allow players to explore and experience the deep and rich mythos of the setting while at the same time experiencing the fun of a space setting. I'm planning on chronologically placing this campaign during the two years that Shepard was missing, so there shouldn't be any major conflicts with the video game cannon.

Reason's to Run:

I'm very familiar with the Mass Effect setting and mythos.
Chance to play a system that several of the players enjoy.
A space opera setting isn't something we've really done before.

Reason's Not to Run

Though I know the setting well, most of my players don't.
Lots more home brewing (weapons, biotics, etc.) before its ready.
Not that familiar with Shadowrun, least of all the new edition.

Well, I've given the best descriptions of these two awesome games as I can. If you have any opinions on which I should run, or if you have any questions about the games, I would really appreciate it if you share it with me.

Hopeless
2013-11-20, 02:48 PM
The Mass Effect idea sounds more interesting but I'd suggest going with the system you're more familiar with.

Friv
2013-11-20, 03:30 PM
My only thought - a TriStat arena game with a wide power point disparity is basically a blank cheque for hurt feelings and players feeling disenfranchised.

Other than that, a short Clash of Champions could be a lot of fun.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-21, 01:16 AM
Have you tried asking your players which idea they'd like?

Also, if you're worried about having to homebrew mass effect stuff, there have been some unofficial systems-- I've seen Star Wars Saga Edition hacks, as well as a NWoD "Mass: The Effecting" homebrew.

My only thought - a TriStat arena game with a wide power point disparity is basically a blank cheque for hurt feelings and players feeling disenfranchised.
Yeah, this one.