PDA

View Full Version : Wand users

evyldead
2013-11-20, 01:39 PM
Okay so I have been playing around with wand using characters and the best one seems to look at starting out at 4 levels of wizard BUT I would like help on what prestige classes to take, feats, weapons, armor, items, that kind of stuff i found a way to use 6 wands in a round but totally forgot how.. so i tried to figure out ways to get up that high again and just got to 3 and a possible 4th but not six... So i would like to have the best optimized build for using wands and dealing damage fast and effective

Urpriest
2013-11-20, 02:01 PM
Wizards are not the best wand users. That honor goes to Artificers, who can apply metamagic to wands in a variety of different ways.

evyldead
2013-11-20, 02:56 PM
what do you mean ?

anacalgion
2013-11-20, 03:00 PM
See for yourself. (http://dndtools.eu/classes/artificer/) (I can link to that right? I can never remember.) But yeah, wand artificers are awesome.

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-20, 03:00 PM
what do you mean ?

Exactly what he said. Artificers can apply metamagic feats to wands. It's a class ability.

evyldead
2013-11-20, 03:03 PM
So all you need is an INT score of 19 to say use a persistent spell on an armor or shield ? Or for a wand you can maximize empower INT score of 15 to create that(not including level of spell yet)?

EDIT: 29 - 25 ***

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-20, 03:10 PM
What does Intelligence have to do with the Metamagic Spell Trigger class feature?

Vedhin
2013-11-20, 03:12 PM
Don't forget the Cannaith Wand Adept PrC. The name says it all.

evyldead
2013-11-20, 03:19 PM
What does Intelligence have to do with the Metamagic Spell Trigger class feature?

Item Creation (Ex): An artificer can create a magic item even if he does not have access to the spells that are prerequisites for the item. The artificer must make a successful Use Magic Device check (DC 20 + caster level) to emulate each spell normally required to create the item. Thus, to make a 1st-level wand of magic missile, an artificer would need a Use Magic Device check result of 21 or higher.' To create a bottle of air (caster level 7th), he would need a check result of 27 or higher to emulate the water breathing prerequisite.

i know i was looking at that and the incantrix

Lord Haart
2013-11-20, 03:49 PM
Use Magic Device is a skill, and it is charisma-based, not intelligence-based.

evyldead
2013-11-20, 05:48 PM
sorry read that wrong

evyldead
2013-11-20, 08:02 PM
So say i wanted to create a wand of persistent bear endurance ... I would have to make a UMD check of 20(base) + 2(artificer spell level) + 6(persistent spell level) = 28 ??? Or is it just 20(base) + 8(artificers new spell level) ???

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-20, 08:35 PM
No.

You would make a Wand of Bear's Endurance.

Then you would use your Metamagic Spell Trigger class ability to apply the Persistent Spell metamagic feat to the Wand of Bear's Endurance, which would cost you 7 charges from the wand.

To do this you would need both the Craft Wand feat and the Persistent Spell feat.

evyldead
2013-11-20, 09:16 PM
So how can he create a wand of disintegrate/fireball? or a wand of heal/harm? Just use the craft wand feat?

anacalgion
2013-11-21, 12:04 AM
You can't craft a want of Disintigrate, heal, or harm, because those are higher than 4th level spells, but as for fireball, yeah. I think you actually pasted the relevant text in one of your earlier posts.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-21, 04:14 AM
You can, however, craft a staff with heal, harm, or disintegrate once you've reached the appropriate level. Staves are spell trigger activation too so metamagic spell trigger applies to them as well.

evyldead
2013-11-21, 10:28 AM
Is there a class that allows me to make higher level wands ?

Darrin
2013-11-21, 10:38 AM

Possibly, but it's easier to just use Craft Wondrous Items, make it a 50-charge item, and call it a "spellstick" or whatever you like.

evyldead
2013-11-21, 10:59 AM
Possibly, but it's easier to just use Craft Wondrous Items, make it a 50-charge item, and call it a "spellstick" or whatever you like.

So how would that work? Use the craft wondrous item on a wand or stick and give it 50 charges of let say fireball ?

Darrin
2013-11-21, 11:29 AM
So how would that work? Use the craft wondrous item on a wand or stick and give it 50 charges of let say fireball ?

A wand of fireballs already exists, so if you want an item that does the same thing... just buy a wand. What you want is... maybe a fireplace bellows of cloudkill or whatever (5th level spell, can't be a wand). If you make it 50 charges, spell trigger item, the suggested cost is "spell level x caster level x 750 GP", so 5 x 9 x 750 = 33750 GP.

If you want 50 charges that anybody can use, that's 1/2 of the unlimited use price. Let's call it a command word item, so "spell level x caster level x 1800 GP" = 81000 GP, 1/2 of that is 40500 GP.

Urpriest
2013-11-21, 12:22 PM

Ok, now I'm curious. If you didn't know wands were limited to 4th level spells, then you haven't read much of the rules on wands. What makes you want to make a wand-wielder, if there isn't some aspect of wand mechanics that you find interesting?

evyldead
2013-11-21, 12:36 PM
Okay, so then i get a nicely crafted stick in place of a wand, then give it 50 charges of disintegrate. how will that work? ..... I honestly mis read the first line.

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-21, 12:46 PM
Ok, now I'm curious. If you didn't know wands were limited to 4th level spells, then you haven't read much of the rules on wands. What makes you want to make a wand-wielder, if there isn't some aspect of wand mechanics that you find interesting?

I agree with Urpriest.

I think that before coming up with a niche character concept like this you should learn more about the game in general.

Darrin
2013-11-21, 12:49 PM
Okay, so then i get a nicely crafted stick in place of a wand, then give it 50 charges of disintegrate. how will that work? ..... I honestly mis read the first line.

"evyldead's Dustpan of Disintegration", let's stick with command-word activation with 50 charges, so "(spell level x caster level x 1800 GP)/2" = (6th level spell x caster level 11 x 1800 GP) divided by 2 = 59400 GP.

However, do note that this is a "suggested price", and for any magic item crafting, the DM has final say on how much it costs.

RFLS
2013-11-21, 12:53 PM
Wizards are not the best wand users. That honor goes to Artificers, who can apply metamagic to wands in a variety of different ways.

I would argue that it actually goes to the Incantatrix - they tend to have far more metamagic feats lying around, and they have that same ability.

evyldead
2013-11-21, 01:23 PM
"evyldead's Dustpan of Disintegration", let's stick with command-word activation with 50 charges, so "(spell level x caster level x 1800 GP)/2" = (6th level spell x caster level 11 x 1800 GP) divided by 2 = 59400 GP.

However, do note that this is a "suggested price", and for any magic item crafting, the DM has final say on how much it costs.

You are very helpful . I never really did anything with crafting, so this is a first.

Urpriest
2013-11-21, 02:51 PM
I would argue that it actually goes to the Incantatrix - they tend to have far more metamagic feats lying around, and they have that same ability.

Eh, Artificers get bonus metamagic feats too. Besides, Incantatrixes don't get that one Infusion that lets you add metamagic to an item without spending additional charges, that thing tends to be a godsend for this sort of build.

kpumphre
2013-11-21, 03:05 PM
While not the top, Warlocks are also pretty good with wands 10 on UMD, and familiarity it has some nice bonuses.

RFLS
2013-11-21, 03:06 PM
Eh, Artificers get bonus metamagic feats too. Besides, Incantatrixes don't get that one Infusion that lets you add metamagic to an item without spending additional charges, that thing tends to be a godsend for this sort of build.

I'd forgotten that infusion. Without it, though, I think I'd stand by my point - the Artificer will normally be using those bonus feats on other things (cost reduction, mostly).

evyldead
2013-11-22, 06:03 PM
okay lets say this starting level is level 9 wealth by level x2 so 76,000 gp. What if I make a wizard/cleric and have the leadership feat and have my artisan as a follower and have him make me wands and the such.

Urpriest
2013-11-22, 09:26 PM
okay lets say this starting level is level 9 wealth by level x2 so 76,000 gp. What if I make a wizard/cleric and have the leadership feat and have my artisan as a follower and have him make me wands and the such.

Why? Your spells will typically be better than wands, unless you have special class features (like Incantatrix or Artificer) that boost them.

Deophaun
2013-11-22, 11:07 PM
Additionally, if you want to persist spells and you're an Artificer, you use minor schema, not wands. Schema are spell completion items, so they work with the metamagic spell completion class feature.