PDA

View Full Version : Scion of the Black Words(PrC)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-11, 02:08 PM
Scion of the Black Words
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/UnA_Gallery/79177.jpg
Senstra Mallok, a tainted Scion of the Black Words

The Dark Speech is a language so mixed with the powers of evil little but the most strong-willed and evil of creatures may utter a single word of it before being slain by it's raw wickedness. Scions of the Black Words are powerful arcane casters that take hold of these profane utterances and create energies to bend and get a hold of the minds of those you wish to use.
Scions of the Black Words often see others as little else but tools to get what they want. If the brute accompanying the Scion does not wish to go along with thier plan they may take their minds into their hands and warp them to their will. This of course either makes a Scion an influencial force of the party, or a problem the rest of the group must overcome.

HD: d4

Requirements
Alignment: Any evil
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (the planes or religion) 4 ranks
Feats: Dark Speech, Spell focus (necromancy or enchantment)
Spellcasting: Ability to cast arcane spells of 3rd level. Must also know 3 spells of enchantment and necromancy each, one of either school must be of 3rd level or higher.
Special: Must have at one point been under an enchantment effect of a foe that was eventually defeated.

Class-skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) and Sense Motive (Wis).
Skill-points per level: 2+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Resilient Soul|--
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Dark Charmer|+1 level of spellcasting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Greater resilient soul|--
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Dark Dominator|+1 level of spellcasting class
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|--|+1 level of spellcasting class
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Immune soul|+1 level of spellcasting class
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Dark Possessor|--
[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiencies: Scions of the Black Words gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Resilient Soul (Su): You gain great ability to ignore the harmful effects of using the Dark Speech. Whenever you use it, you take 1 less ability damage for all uses of the Dark Speech that damage an ability score, to a minimum of 0 ability damage.

Dark Charmer (Su): Through use of the Dark Speech you can manipulate the minds of those around you. By using this ability of the Dark Speech, you take 1d4 Cha damage (factoring in resilient soul) and the subject is under the effects of the charm monster spell for a duration of 24 hours. The subject is entitled to a will save (10+Scion level+Cha modifier) to avoid the effects. This is a mind-affecting enchantment effect.

Greater Resilient Soul (Su): This ability functions just like resilient soul, except you now reduce the cost to ability scores by 2 (to a minimum of 0).

Dark Dominator(Su): You gain greater focus of the Dark Speech and manipulative ability over the mind. This ability functions just like Dark Charmer, except it replicates the effects of a continuous suggestion spell, with a 24 hour duration.

Immune Soul(Su): Your wicked soul becomes one with the Dark Speech, granting you full immunity to the ability damage caused by the use of the Dark Speech. But you take a permenant -2 to Wis because wicked beings float around in your mind, whispering and corrupting further.

Dark Possessor(Su): This ability of the Dark Speech is the most powerful as of yet. By taking a full-round to utter specific words of the Dark Speech, a Scion of the Black Words may take a form capable of possessing foes and allies alike. After the words are uttered your form becomes incorporeal and invisible, but is incapable of dealing any kind of damage to those around you. If you make a touch attack against the one you want to possess, if you succeed then the victem must make a will save (20+cha modifier), if they fail you possess them, following all the rules of possession as written in the Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss.If they succeed thier on their saving throw you become visible and corporeal again in an adjacent square. Unlike other abilities of the Dark Speech, this is usable only once per day.

Matthew
2007-01-11, 04:29 PM
This is pretty cool, but I am not sure total immunity to Attribute Damage caused by the Dark Speech is a good idea. Also, there should be a minimum Damage of 1. Maybe 1D4-1, 1D4-2, 1D4-3.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-12, 02:46 AM
This is pretty cool, but I am not sure total immunity to Attribute Damage caused by the Dark Speech is a good idea. Also, there should be a minimum Damage of 1. Maybe 1D4-1, 1D4-2, 1D4-3.
Hmm, I thought of that but I thought the dropped caster level would cover that.

Edit: Not to mention the permenant Wis loss.

Matthew
2007-01-12, 08:26 PM
Sure, but the ability is effectively useable at will for a relatively minor Attribute Loss at that point, which seems a little much to me.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-12, 11:08 PM
My justification is basically just allowing the ability to use a few specific 'spells' and other minor abilities in place of the lost caster levels and wisdom. Not including the powers I made, the powers of the Dark Speech aren't really that awesome, at least for it's prerequisites(where the only characters that would easily qualfy being shadowcasters, truenamers and ultimate magi).

Matthew
2007-01-13, 08:35 AM
Well, it's only a minor quibble. I otherwise think this Prestige Class is pretty cool.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-13, 03:43 PM
Well, it's only a minor quibble. I otherwise think this Prestige Class is pretty cool.
Ah I see, Thank you. :smallbiggrin: