PDA

View Full Version : Random Race and Culture Generator for foes, allies, or neutral peoples

Yora
2013-11-20, 03:55 PM
I just read an article in which someone came up with a quick example for a unique group of foes, which was "Fey Necromancer Mongols". A group of fey from the spiritworld who raid towns and villages on their undead horses raising their victims as cheap disposable meat shields for their next attacks.
Which I think is awesome and really quickly done. So I was thinking about comming up with a random generator for such groups of NPCs. Either as a couple of list to roll on, or maybe someone feels like throwing together a plain and simple mini-website that randomly generates them when you click the button. (Should be fairly simple to people who've done something similar before.)

In either case, there needs to be a couple of lists from which to pick elements and traits to combine into a random culture.
A good starting point would be Race (elves, goblins, ghouls, ...), Occupation (pirates, necromancers, bards, ...), Culture (polynesian, nordic, arabian, ...), and maybe also environment (steppe, jungle, arctic, swamp...).

{table=head]#|Race
1|Bugbears
2|Centaurs
3|Drow
4|Dwarves
5|Elves
6|Fire Giants
7|Fish People
8|Frost Giants
9|Ghosts
10|Ghouls
11|Gnolls
12|Gnomes
13|Goblins
14|Grimlocks
15|Halflings
16|Half-Angels
17|Half-Elves
18|Half-DemonsHalf-Orcs
19|Hill Giants
20|Hobgoblins
21|Humans
22|Kobolds
23|Lizardfolk
24|Minotaurs
25|Ogres
26|Orcs
27|Snake Men
28|Stone Giants
29|Vampires
30|Wights[/table]

{table=head]#|Occupation
1|Archer
2|Bandit
3|Druid
4|Horsemen
5|Merchant
6|Monk
7|Necromancer
8|Ninja
9|Pirate
10|Sailor[/table]

{table=head]#|Culture
1|Arab
2|Aztec
3|Celtic
4|Chinese
5|Egyptian
6|Greek
7|Inca
8|Indian
9|Inuit
10|Maori
11|Mongol
12|Persian
13|Polynesian
14|Roman
15|Slavic
16|Viking
17|Zulu[/table]

{table=head]#|Environment
1|Arctic
2|Desert
3|Forest
4|Hill
5|Jungle
6|Marsh
7|Mountain
8|Plains
9|River
10|Swamp
11|Tundra
12|Underground
13|Volcanic[/table]

Picking some random numbers, I got "Celtic Bandit Hill-Bugbears" (1234), "Egyptian Marsh-Horsemen Drow" (3456), and "Plains-Inca Monk Elves" (5678). Maybe not all great winners, but certainly something to get the imagination going.
If you have any ideas for additional entries on the lists, please share them and I'll add them.