PDA

View Full Version : Cloud-based BFC build (3.5)

KoboldMasteRace
2013-11-20, 05:59 PM
Hey, guys! I'm working on a build for a character focused on battlefield control using spells like Cloudkill and Stinking Cloud; obviously other spells will be used, but I want to focus on the cloud spells due to a concept I have (and thankfully for the concept, those spells don't suck mechanically). Unfortunately, a lot of a wizard or sorcerer's tricks for other concepts involve high quantities of metamagic, while the cloud spells don't benefit from very many metamagics other than Sculpt Spell. Also, the fatal flaw of focusing on the cloud spells is the relative ease of dispersing them, though it's pretty easy to at least make your way through enough Contingencies to trap them in the cloud for a round (and that only even matters once Contingencies become a thing).

So, aside from Sculpt Spell, and preferably from a Sorcerer basis though Wizard is okay, what would be some good feats and possible prestige classes for focusing on the cloud spells? Also, are there good defenses against the spell simply being dispersed, in the form of more feats or other spells? Thank you in advance!

Icewraith
2013-11-20, 06:08 PM
I had to read your post's title three times before I realized it was BFC, not Cloud-based KFC. (Col Sanders' preferred method of dominating the internet)

Anyways, ring of counterspells (gust of wind) is probably the most baseline defense, you can also ready a counterspell action once your main BFC goes off and you're facing spellcasters.

Aside from that, at a certain point you're probably going to need some backup spells, since I think the wind effect caused by hovering dragons is enough to disperse a cloud spell. (Better at least check up on that) Also, air elementals will not be your friend. Have a banish or two handy.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-20, 08:40 PM
Specialize in Conjuration, get Sculpt Spell and Fell Drain Spell, Metamagic School Focus: Conjuration at least once, and Practical Metamagic or Easy Metamagic for Fell Drain (Spontaneous Divination qualifies you for Practical).

Don't stick entirely to clouds, but do use them heavily. Web or Black Tentacles + Fell Drain Kelgore's Grave Mist is downright amazing for example. Fell Drain Freezing Fog can be very hazardous and very difficult to escape. Sculpt Spell helps you put the clouds where you want them, and even significantly increases the area of some spells.

This Wizard guide (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394) has tons of advice, especially for Conjurers.

Xaotiq1
2013-11-20, 10:20 PM
Here's a build from this thread: http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/2053601

"CC means Cloud Control, by James

Books used -
PHB, CArcane, Spell Compendium, Cityscape, PGtF, PHB2

Key Spells -
1 Obscurring Mist, Grease, Silent Image, Burning Hands
2 Fog Cloud, Gust of Wind, Flaming Sphere (or Web)
3 Contagious Cloud, Stinking Cloud
4 Solid Fog, Black Tentacles
5 Cloudkill, Wall of Stone, Overland Flight
6 Acid Fog, Forceful Hand
7 DB Fireball, Plane Shift
8 Incindiary Cloud (usually crap, but it is an OK army horde destroyer, and it does look like Cloudkill)
9 Time Stop

Key feats -
Widen Spell +3 cost (very expensive)
Explosive Spell +2 cost (surprisingly cheap)
Sculpt Spell +1 cost
Arcane Thesis (Solid Fog and Cloudkill)
Invisible Spell +0 cost
Spell Thematics (heh, make your fogs look IDENTICAL!)

Key Items -
Rod of Metamagic (Quicken, Maximize, Extend)
Ring of Freedom of Movement

Key Strategies -
1) Use Explosive spells to push enemies into your nastier effects (particularly Explosive Sculpted Grease)
2) Quicken spells to layer the battlefield with your nastiness multiple spells per round (Solid/Acid Fogs on top of a Cloudkill)
3) Sculpted spells to turn your normal AoE big areas into single target debuffs if necessary (against the BBEG)
4) Maximized Contagious Cloud or Cloudkill to seriously debuff (8 Dex once, or 4 Con / round)
5) Invisible Fog effects with really, really nasty stuff attached (and capable of throwing off enemies that don't have See Invisibility)
6) Surround your invisible Solid Fog / Cloudkill area with an Invisible Wall of Stone, for kicks

The beauty is that one can do a ton of this removing several of the books and not lose that much power (kind of the point of this post is to not define too much for general use). Don't underestimate the fact that every fog will look just about the same. A Mindsight/Mindbender dip is highly recommended, to get locations of your enemies if you choose not to use Invisible Spell"

Deophaun
2013-11-20, 10:44 PM
Cloudy Conjuration. Now just about every conjuration spell can fit your concept.

Slipperychicken
2013-11-20, 11:46 PM
Cloud-based KFC. (Col Sanders' preferred method of dominating the internet)

Thank you for making me laugh like an idiot. You have earned an internet.

Angelalex242
2013-11-21, 01:38 AM
And here I thought he just wanted to build Cloud Strife and typed BFS. ;)

Silva Stormrage
2013-11-21, 01:58 AM
Seconding the fell drain freezing fog. Maybe apply it with a rod?

Also while normally I dislike invisible spell it could be interesting having invisible stinking clouds, opponents would just walk into the area and get nauseated and have no idea why (Other than the stench but they couldn't tell the area)

eggynack
2013-11-21, 02:10 AM
You should consider adding sleet storm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sleetStorm.htm) to your arsenal. It's quite powerful, completely blocking vision and forcing balance checks for movement, and as a possibly more important factor, it lacks the traditional fog weakness to speedy winds. It's not technically a fog, but it's close enough, and highly effective.