PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a bad@ss (Omni)Artificer

Perpetr8r
2013-11-20, 06:47 PM
I would love a build instruction on how to make a level 5 or 6 character who is just extremely smart and knowledgeable and with a magic item or psionic item or whatever that can be used as a character focal point like the doctors sonic screwdriver is his kind of iconic piece of tech.

What race is best?
What feats fit best?
Any Traits or Flaws good?

EDIT: This is pretty much a backup character for my current game should my character die (Several close calls makes me wanna have him ready)

LordConcrete
2013-11-20, 06:50 PM
Just letting you know, the Artificer is ridiculously complex.
I tried to play one and I took a ridiculous amount of time in and out of the game to find out what to build, how long it would take, how much it would cost, when I would use it, etc.

In any case:
I'll just leave this here. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0)

Perpetr8r
2013-11-20, 07:32 PM
Thanks the guide is good. Anyone else have any personal insights or tricks or techniques you used yourself or saw someone use that might be good for a build?

btw how many homunculus can you make at one time, or have active at one time.

Zonugal
2013-11-20, 08:37 PM
For a sixth-level character I'd go with something like this maybe?

Elan Artificer 5/Warblade 1

You get 4th-level spells to utilize through Scribe Scroll, Brew Potion, Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Homonclus, Craft Magic Arms & Armor and a bonus feat in addition to Trapfinding & Retain Essence. Through Warblade you get Battle Clarity (reflex saves), Weapon Aptitude and some 2nd-level maneuvers (I recommend Mountain Hammer, Emerald Razor, Leading the Attack and Stance of Clarity).

Elan is so you can be a little bit like the Doctor.

Perpetr8r
2013-11-20, 08:52 PM
I will admit I do not know much about the ToB classes.
Its an interesting build idea, but how does 1 level of Warblade gain 2nd level maneuvers?

danzibr
2013-11-20, 09:20 PM
I will admit I do not know much about the ToB classes.
Its an interesting build idea, but how does 1 level of Warblade gain 2nd level maneuvers?
Get half IL (initiator level) each level from non-Warblade, so a something 4/Warblade 1 has an IL of 3, so you can get 2nd level maneuvers.

Perpetr8r
2013-11-20, 09:27 PM
Oh I see

From the handbook it suggests a level of Cleric with the Magic Domain what about that style of build, it gives arcane and divine spells *Sorcerer/Wizard and Cleric spells*

Perpetr8r
2013-11-20, 09:44 PM
Also why Warblade which is very combat focused class?

I get it is Intelligence focused which works well with the Artificer but it was just a curious thing.

Also is it possible to make a magic item with feat granting powers? Like an Iron Mask that gives the heritage feats while being worn?

Zonugal
2013-11-21, 12:05 AM
Also why Warblade which is very combat focused class?

I get it is Intelligence focused which works well with the Artificer but it was just a curious thing.

I figured your build could use a nice dip and Warblade is a nice dip for an Artificer. It'll grab you some martial weapon proficiencies, the ability to switch around what your combat feats (if any) apply towards thanks to Weapon Aptitude, but the real beauty are two of the maneuvers you picked up.

Every other round you can have your attack be considered a touch attack (Emerald Razor) or by-pass both hardness & damage reduction (Mountain Hammer), both which are very useful abilities for a single level dip. Leading the Attack doesn't hurt either, granting your allies a +4 morale bonus on attack rolls for 1 round against the creature you hit. That's like a tiny version of Greater Heroism!

Overall I think it can be a handy dip.

Also is it possible to make a magic item with feat granting powers? Like an Iron Mask that gives the heritage feats while being worn?

There is Heroics, a 2nd level Wizard spell from the Spell Compendium, that gives the recipient a fighter bonus feat for 10 min/level as long as they fulfill all prerequisites. Eh?