PDA

View Full Version : Bye binary brain Belkar

Dante2001
2013-11-20, 07:38 PM
He does not "lust" nor hates the dinosaur!! It has been disproven! And it seems the elf now knows it! Also, the dino will be poly back eventually :D

oppyu
2013-11-20, 07:40 PM
He does not "lust" nor hates the dinosaur!! It has been disproven! And it seems the elf now knows it! Also, the dino will be poly back eventually :D
Prove Belkar doesn't lust for Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator.

HZ514
2013-11-20, 07:41 PM
Better question: Who doesn't lust for Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator?

Sylian
2013-11-20, 07:52 PM
Since Belkar did like Shojo and Mr. Scruffy, that theory was already disproven.

Zmeoaice
2013-11-20, 07:55 PM

Prove he doesn't lus-

Okay, I'm not going there.

Bird
2013-11-20, 08:11 PM
Plus the Greysky cleric of Loki.

V's hypothesis was hilarious -- one of my favorite things in the comic. But it was never true.

Better question: Who doesn't lust for Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator?
That is a fine question indeed.

luchifer
2013-11-20, 08:12 PM
Also, Belkar likes Elan, but that could be lust because of the charisma under the hood...

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-11-20, 08:20 PM
:vaarsuvius: This is not entirely unexpected. His minuscule thinking apparatus, being largely undifferentiated, likely resumed the previously-abandoned development of these additional capabilities in response to an unusual stress or stimulus. The alteration was possibly spurred by his encounter with Lord Shojo, who commanded a sort of admiration from him that neither of his available settings could feasibly produce otherwise.

Porthos
2013-11-20, 08:21 PM
V's hypothesis was hilarious -- one of my favorite things in the comic. But it was never true.

What always amazed me about that strip is how many people took it as gospel that V was correct about Belkar.

They didn't even crouch it as a theory of V's, but as a proven fact of the comic. Which then led to all sorts of 'interesting' discussions.

HZ514
2013-11-20, 08:36 PM
What always amazed me about that strip is how many people took it as gospel that V was correct about Belkar.

They didn't even crouch it as a theory of V's, but as a proven fact of the comic. Which then led to all sorts of 'interesting' discussions.

If that last part means what I think it means...shippers gonna ship.

Joe the Rat
2013-11-20, 08:53 PM
So last stat boost, he upgraded to an 8-bit processor?

coineineagh
2013-11-20, 08:59 PM
Lust doesn't have to be sexual. And it was just the word V chose at the time. The theory can easily be tweaked with revised formulation, and perhaps lust in the broad definition isn't even the wrong word. Belkar can 'lust' for Bloodfeast's carnage, or Shojo & Mr. Scruffy's paladin-humiliating antics, or any number of things.

On the flipside of the coin, Belkar has been acting with consideration towards the animals he likes, but that doesn't exclude the aforementioned ulterior motives for liking said animals. Hypothesis not disproven. Yet.

Deep down, Belkar is still a nasty little creep, but he is in a unique situation to learn compassion, and perhaps show self-awareness, improvement and perhaps even regret where most people like him wouldn't.

diretiger
2013-11-21, 01:51 AM
next favorite relationship thread better have Belkar x Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator.

Bird
2013-11-21, 02:16 AM
next favorite relationship thread better have Belkar x Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator.
The current one just had that relationship added. :smallsmile: Lost to Elan x Vaarsuvius, though.

Lombard
2013-11-21, 02:25 AM

lol I can't help but be a bit disturbed that you're just bringing this up now when there's also been for example Mr. Scruffy and Shojo.. egad what dark corner of the internet have I stumbled upon here

Flame of Anor
2013-11-21, 03:33 AM
As someone posted a while ago, a much better description of Belkar's character is achieved by increasing the states to three: lust, hate, and amusement. Amusement includes such characters as Elan and Lord Shojo. This trichotomy starts to break down when Belkar gets his character development, but until then it's pretty useful.

Spiryt
2013-11-21, 03:35 AM
I would say it's pretty cool and consistent for character.

Animals are 'simpler' and relations with them are simpler and easier too.

So someone with huge emotional problems, who's also huge piece of crap generally, can form decent relations with them, while he can't with other intelligent creatures.

Souhiro
2013-11-21, 04:12 AM
I'm a non native english speaker, but "Amusement" is just a grade above "Indiference". Also, I really, REALLY REALLY REALLY don't think that Belkar's care of Mr Scruffy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/LNkAVIdpnTiao8AZRRY.gif) could be called "Amusement". Heck, most of people here find Belkars love for Mr Scruffy his greatest redeeming virtue!

Also, Roy's ideal fantasy world is with Durkon, Elan, Haley -Celia- and such. He doesn't love -all- of them, at least not in the "Romantic" way of love, but his ideal world must have all of them. He doesn't need Belkar, but he needs them. Belkar's Ideal Fantasy World has Shojo and Mr Scruffy, maybe Loki's cleric, or Jenny, Haley's Rogue Sorcerer Bard friend (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/Nm3munc2K5Kl7xXwM92.gif) in the background (Belkar's IFW was just one panel)

Flame of Anor
2013-11-21, 04:43 AM
Also, I really, REALLY REALLY REALLY don't think that Belkar's care of Mr Scruffy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/LNkAVIdpnTiao8AZRRY.gif) could be called "Amusement".

Well, yeah, I did address that fairly specifically:

This trichotomy starts to break down when Belkar gets his character development

b_jonas
2013-11-21, 05:04 AM
Lust doesn't have to be sexual. And it was just the word V chose at the time. The theory can easily be tweaked with revised formulation, and perhaps lust in the broad definition isn't even the wrong word. Belkar can 'lust' for Bloodfeast's carnage, or Shojo & Mr. Scruffy's paladin-humiliating antics, or any number of things.

This.

But also, read Varsaavius's choice of words (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html)? He specifically says "emotional reactions to people". A dinosaur mount isn't people. Even Mr. Scruffy, the real power on the throne (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0267.html), isn't really people.

Or maybe when I'm saying that, I'm prejudiced like Tarquin in #762 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0762.html) or Peter Bogert in Asimov's story Feminine intuition?

Souhiro
2013-11-21, 06:09 AM
This.

But also, read Varsaavius's choice of words (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html)? He specifically says "emotional reactions to people". A dinosaur mount isn't people. Even Mr. Scruffy, the real power on the throne (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0267.html), isn't really people.
In my opinion, Mr. Scruffy deserves more respect than many people. Only because he's a cat.

Call me racist: I DO believe in cat supremacy: Humans made the car, humans reached the moon... but they did, because a cat ordered them to do so.

Kish
2013-11-21, 06:39 AM
crouch
Couch.

In my opinion, Mr. Scruffy deserves more respect than many people. Only because he's a cat.

Call me racist: I DO believe in cat supremacy: Humans made the car, humans reached the moon... but they did, because a cat ordered them to do so.
Now I want to see what would happen if a cat ordered Souhiro to stop hating Redcloak.

Souhiro
2013-11-21, 06:54 AM
Souhiro would polymorph Redcloak into a dog, and start hating Dog-Cloak

coineineagh
2013-11-21, 07:34 AM
Souhiro would polymorph Redcloak into a dog, and start hating Dog-Cloak
:smallsigh:The dog would still be called Redcloak...

Kish
2013-11-21, 07:56 AM
Also, stereotypes aside, I've known cats who were quite fond of dogs.

hamishspence
2013-11-21, 08:03 AM
I'm guessing that it's usually a case of the cat being brought up with a dog in the house, from kittenhood.

Cerussite
2013-11-21, 08:29 AM
Also, Belkar likes Elan, but that could be lust because of the charisma under the hood...

Belkar has explicitly stated that he's become gay once he saw Tarquin for the first time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0753.html), so him lusting for Elan would be a natural next step.

KillianHawkeye
2013-11-21, 08:33 AM
Gotta say, blood lust is a form of lust.

Souhiro
2013-11-21, 09:10 AM
Guys, let's cool down, or this topic will be whut down in less than time Souhiro needs to proclaim his hate for Redcloak. Using his broken english.

About Belkar, I think that Binary Brain is an old joke... one too old, like the old designs, like when Roy's boots looked like two trunks, or when Bard!Elan didn't have a brooch in his cape.

Ron Miel
2013-11-21, 10:41 AM
As someone posted a while ago, a much better description of Belkar's character is achieved by increasing the states to three: lust, hate, and amusement. Amusement includes such characters as Elan and Lord Shojo. This trichotomy starts to break down when Belkar gets his character development, but until then it's pretty useful.

Four. You forgot respect.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7942774#post7942774

hagnat
2013-11-21, 10:52 AM
people often uses the orrie's prediction as a sign that belkar will die soon...

what if... the oracle actually predicted that Belkar would drop his wicked ways of sensless murder, and turn a new page on his life with a new name, living as an actual ranger, dedicating his life to animals and how to help them pursuit their dreams of disemboweling hunters and force feeding their intestines to their loved ones ?

crazy theory, i know... but i have "killed" some personas of myself in the past

ChristianSt
2013-11-21, 12:32 PM
Belkar has explicitly stated that he's become gay once he saw Tarquin for the first time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0753.html), so him lusting for Elan would be a natural next step.

If you explicitly state that Belkar said he become gay once he saw Tarquin, you also shoud explicitly state that the reason is not Tarquin, but hanging out with sweaty gladiators.

King of Nowhere
2013-11-21, 01:05 PM
what V said was true at the time. belkar then got character development, starting from shojo, whom he could neither hate nor lust.

:vaarsuvius: This is not entirely unexpected. His miniscule thinking apparatus, being largely undifferentiated, likely resumed the previously-abandoned development of these additional capabilities in response to an unusual stress or stimulus. The alteration was possibly spurred by his encounter with Lord Shojo, who commanded a sort of admiration from him that neither of his available settings could feasibly produce otherwise.
so beautiful... sigh:smallsigh:

Flame of Anor
2013-11-21, 01:35 PM
Four. You forgot respect.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7942774#post7942774

Ah right, thanks. That does make sense.

His miniscule thinking apparatus,

It's actually spelled "minuscule" :smallwink:

Ridureyu
2013-11-21, 01:36 PM
V's theory was meant to be a joke.

Remember "jokes?"

They are these things in the comic that are funny.

Sir_Leorik
2013-11-21, 01:50 PM
I think that V's hypothesis was disturbingly close to the truth, but only at the time she made the hypothesis. Since then Belkar has undergone a bit of character development. He now is capable of empathy, but only towards animals (which makes sense for a Ranger); given the way he acted in the gladiator pits, bullying everyone in sight, he's still driven by anger, hate, and a desire to inflict suffering on others. And lust for Mrs. Butterworth. We mustn't forget that. :smallbiggrin:

Bulldog Psion
2013-11-21, 03:04 PM
I think that V's hypothesis was disturbingly close to the truth, but only at the time she made the hypothesis. Since then Belkar has undergone a bit of character development. He now is capable of empathy, but only towards animals (which makes sense for a Ranger); given the way he acted in the gladiator pits, bullying everyone in sight, he's still driven by anger, hate, and a desire to inflict suffering on others. And lust for Mrs. Butterworth. We mustn't forget that. :smallbiggrin:

Well, actually, he did show empathy towards the two lizardfolk, too. :smallsmile:

But he definitely still hates that tool Bilbo, too. :smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2013-11-21, 03:12 PM
Listen to Ridureyu. He speaks words of wisdom.

well, maybe not always, but this time is on spot. :smalltongue:

Sir_Leorik
2013-11-21, 04:03 PM
Well, actually, he did show empathy towards the two lizardfolk, too. :smallsmile:

But he definitely still hates that tool Bilbo, too. :smallbiggrin:

The empathy Belkar felt towards Gannji and Enor had to be filtered through the relationship he had with Mr. Scruffy first (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0807.html). Once he could view himself having to be put in Gannji's place, and see Enor as a big blue Mr. Scruffy, he could feel enough empathy to help Ian free BLOODFEAST THE EXTREME-INATOR. In fact, it could be that the moment in the arena dungeon, watching Gannji plead with Enor to kill him and cut off his tail, in hopes that Enor would live, moved Belkar enough that using his Ranger Wild Empathy feature comes second nature to him now.

Also, Enor's not a Lizardfolk, he's a Half-Dragon/Half-Ogre (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0721.html). :smallwink:

Ron Miel
2013-11-21, 05:09 PM

V appears to believe the theory, and act upon it.

Sir_Leorik
2013-11-21, 05:21 PM

Remember "jokes?"

They are these things in the comic that are funny.

V appears to believe the theory, and act upon it.

As I'm sure Vaarsuvius would be the first to point out, she proposed a hypothesis not a theory. She then proceded to test her hypothesis, and based on what I consider to be shaky evidence, declared her hypothesis proven. :smalltongue:

Ridureyu
2013-11-21, 05:45 PM
Guys... it's a throwaway joke in a comic strip that does not line up with how the story is going. Or to put it another way, do you think we're ever going to see those lawyers again? or that Haley is going to steal anything from another part of the site? Does this REALLY need so much over-analysis and arguing?

Kish
2013-11-21, 06:05 PM
Guys... it's a throwaway joke in a comic strip that does not line up with how the story is going. Or to put it another way, do you think we're ever going to see those lawyers again?
Yes.

Someone suggested the lawyers were no longer in the webcomic? Huh.

137beth
2013-11-21, 09:15 PM
So last stat boost, he upgraded to an 8-bit processor?

Nah, 16-bits. I mean, really, he's entered Dinosaur Land and is riding on a dinosaur that can stomp on other dinosaurs and sometimes appears much smaller than normal when it isn't being ridden!
Belkar is playing Super Mario World, a SNES game (16 bit), and Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator is a yoshi. SMW takes place on an island called 'dinosaur land' and is the first major appearance of Yoshi. In fact, the designer wanted to include a yoshi-type character in SMB 3, but had trouble fitting it in an NES cartridge. So the fact that Belkar is riding a dinosaur indicates that he has upgraded to 16-bit hardware.

Bulldog Psion
2013-11-22, 03:38 AM
Yes.

Someone suggested the lawyers were no longer in the webcomic? Huh.

I think they've already appeared three times in this arc, haven't they?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-11-22, 04:57 AM
It's actually spelled "minuscule" :smallwink:

In my defense, my misspelling is in the dictionary as of this year.

King of Nowhere
2013-11-22, 12:18 PM
also, from a scientific point of view, V's theory still applies to over 95% of people belkar met. we can consider those few exceptions as experimental errors.

Porthos
2013-11-22, 12:27 PM
As I'm sure Vaarsuvius would be the first to point out, she proposed a hypothesis not a theory. She then proceded to test her hypothesis, and based on what I consider to be shaky evidence, declared her hypothesis proven. :smalltongue:

:vaarsuvius:: "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not posses a true sentient brain..." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html)

Looking over 335 I see a distinct lack of the word "hypothesis", or any variation thereof. :smallwink:

also, from a scientific point of view, V's theory still applies to over 95% of people belkar met. we can consider those few exceptions as experimental errors.

The problem with this statement is that the theory of V is not that Belkar only has two default states of acting, but that he does not possess a 'truly sentient brain'.

Which brings us to the problem of correlation and causation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation). V really should know better than that when it comes to something like this. :smallwink:

Bird
2013-11-22, 02:36 PM
That's not an "experimental error." That's contradictory evidence. :smalltongue:

Really, it's way early to be crying statistical insignificance for those cases. From a scientific point of view, V didn't establish causality, had a sample size of one person, and couldn't attempt an experiment with controlled conditions.

Plus, Belkar actually interacts with characters without giving sings of lusting or hating them all the time. Even some characters that he murders (the Grant Larcenist, that old gnome) he doesn't seem to hate.

And yes, agreeing with Porthos, there is a large burden of proof in establishing that Belkar lacked a "truly sentient brain" -- a claim that falls apart under casual scrutiny.

I do give V a pass, though, because it's not like he could submit a paper for peer review, and that "lacks a truly sentient brain" bit is hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

King of Nowhere
2013-11-22, 07:07 PM
That's not an "experimental error." That's contradictory evidence. :smalltongue:

Really, it's way early to be crying statistical insignificance for those cases. From a scientific point of view, V didn't establish causality, had a sample size of one person, and couldn't attempt an experiment with controlled conditions.

Plus, Belkar actually interacts with characters without giving sings of lusting or hating them all the time. Even some characters that he murders (the Grant Larcenist, that old gnome) he doesn't seem to hate.

And yes, agreeing with Porthos, there is a large burden of proof in establishing that Belkar lacked a "truly sentient brain" -- a claim that falls apart under casual scrutiny.

I do give V a pass, though, because it's not like he could submit a paper for peer review, and that "lacks a truly sentient brain" bit is hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

It depends on the system you're working on, and how reliable you can get your data. In some borderline cases, the distinction between experimental error and contradictory evidence is open to intrpretation. generally, it's considered experimental error if you're the one writing the paper :smalltongue:

If V actually submitted that paper, and I was peer reviewing, I would point out that the evidence isn't enough to support the "belkar lacks a real brain" theory; on the other side, the part about his phsycology being only capable of hating or lusting fits quite well the experimental data, with only a few outliers. this topic is focusing on those freak experiments, but the love/hate stuff can reliably describe belkar's reaction to over 95% of people he interacted with. in my field, that's a pretty good approximation.
otherwise, if a theory predicts the behaviour of a system in the vast majority of cases, with some exception, it don't mean the theory is wrong. it means it's flawed. it lacks something, but it has a solid base. it can be the starting point for a new, improved theory.
So I wouldn't discard V's paper. I would reference to it in my further study of belkar, using it as a reasonable starting point and then trying to expand it with some extra law that allows to predict those freak points. Just like the law of ideal gases is enhanced with first, second and third order corrective factors to extend its validity to ranges of pressures and temperatures where the underlying assumption of no interactions between the gas molecules is no longer valid.

Bird
2013-11-22, 07:58 PM
Where is "over 95%" coming from? If it's coming from the fact that Belkar grimaces while mowing down hordes of hobgoblins, you could say the same thing about Roy.

Keep in mind that Belkar often murders other characters while giving no signs of actually hating them. Murder =! hate. Enjoying violence =! hate.

Yes, at the time V made his hypothesis, Belkar was evil, murderous, mean-spirited. But he had non-hate non-lust reactions to other characters all the time. Sometimes these reactions often come in the context of being mean to someone else, or appreciating violence, but they are frequent.

For one thing, Belkar is often not shown to have any particular reaction to random NPCs.

Too,

Belkar doesn't like Elan, but then smiles and is impressed by him. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0017.html) Appreciation.

Having fun with Elan (even while pranking Roy) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html) Amusement.

Impressed by Vaarsuvius, smiling. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0041.html) Appreciation.

More having fun with Elan. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0102.html) Amusement.

Posing for a picture with the rest of the team. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0120.html) I don't know what to call it, but it's neither lustful nor antisocial.

Hugging Gortok. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0132.html) Affection. I know, because Gortok is a bloodthirsty killer. It's still affection.

"Trust me, they're better off now." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0133.html) I use this to underline the murder =! hate point. He kills three barbarians, and has fun doing it, but there's no sign that he hates them.

"Plus, he makes me laugh." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0153.html) Amusement.

You're the best. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0164.html) While Roy would indisputably be put under the "hate" column in V's analysis, Belkar is capable of appreciating him for selfish reasons.

Another example of such. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0171.html)

Sees the shadowdancer. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0230.html) Has a congenial interaction.

The incident itself. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0316.html) Notice him having fun with Durkon.

And this is all before V's hypothesis. All the best contradictory evidence comes later.

You can build in exceptions to explain away the contradictory evidence, but I don't think you'll be left with anything much more interesting than "Belkar is a generally hateful, lustful, violent person."

King of Nowhere
2013-11-23, 10:37 AM
bird, you are taking me way too seriously.

Bird
2013-11-23, 03:09 PM
bird, you are taking me way too seriously.
It's more fun for me that way. Somebody says 'science' and I spin myself into a tizzy. :smallbiggrin:

rbetieh
2013-11-23, 03:25 PM
I think they've already appeared three times in this arc, haven't they?

Two different lawyers. The have the same names, same look, and same personality, true. But their only real distinguishing factor is a giant boot, which they dont have. Internet Logic dictates that these are actually flumphs dressed up as the two lawyers :smallcool:.

Bulldog Psion
2013-11-23, 04:58 PM
Two different lawyers. The have the same names, same look, and same personality, true. But their only real distinguishing factor is a giant boot, which they dont have. Internet Logic dictates that these are actually flumphs dressed up as the two lawyers :smallcool:.

Aha, the truth is revealed at last! Thank you! :smallcool:

Otomodachi
2013-12-02, 05:53 PM
I just want to throw out there... that as soon as the Order gets some downtime, I think we're going to get a (first?) Belkar introspection scene. Oh, wait, not first, he had his coma scene.

When he was telling the rest of the group about what happened to Durkon... when he convinced Roy to keep going... I thought, and still think, that all reads as the behaviour of a person trying to process what the hell just happened. I don't think he has yet, but I think he has a serious chip on his shoulder. I think Belkar kinda feels like, probably for the first time, he legitimately owes someone something.

You know, in the good way, not like owing them a stabbing. Remember when Durkula comes to the Order? Belkar's reaction is- THAT is NOT Durkon. He seems honestly offended. It gets kinda cut short with a joke, but, there's business afoot.

Procyonpi
2013-12-02, 07:29 PM
Yeah, it's not like Rich has explicitly stated that Belkar's relationships with Bloodfeast and Scruffy are a sign of character development or anything...

Chantelune
2013-12-03, 08:01 AM
Hey, guys who think Belkar really have such binary brain, how long do you think it'll take for Belkar to lust after Durkula once both will have fun playing in the deep end of the alignement pool ? :smallamused:

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-03, 08:32 AM
:vaarsuvius:: "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not posses a true sentient brain..." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html)

Looking over 335 I see a distinct lack of the word "hypothesis", or any variation thereof. :smallwink:

V is using the more general meaning of the word theorize (which is basically the same as the scientific hypothesize). This is a mistake sadly made by a lot of people who do not understand the different scientific meaning. Despite not using the correct word, scientifically speaking, what V has actually done was form a hypothesis about Belkar's brain functioning.

It is understandable for V to use the incorrect word because the Giant is an artist, not a scientist. While we might expect V to use terminology in the most scientifically correct way, we must remember that all of V's dialogue is written by a person who is not overly concerned with the proper scientific procedure.

Roland Itiative
2013-12-03, 08:38 AM
Maybe V's theory was right, but Belkar has two separate bits, one for lust, and one for hate. He just learned to assign values for the two extra states these bits offer :smalltongue:

Souhiro
2013-12-03, 10:10 AM
Maybe V's theory was right, but Belkar has two separate bits, one for lust, and one for hate. He just learned to assign values for the two extra states these bits offer :smalltongue:

Come on!
He had a normal brain, but he just used ONE bit: Love/Hate. but the Mark of Justice did indeed overloaded some of his systems and forced him to relay on previously unused parts of his brain. Then he met with Lord Shojo, and felt sympathy for him and his pet cat. Not Love or Hate, but sympathy, because he was using the new part of his brain.

He indeed tried to fill those parts with what he could get from the most interesting personality: Lord Shojo, thus, a figment, a image of Shojo was formed in his mind. When he killed the Oracle and the mark of justice burned his poor brain, his usual part of his personality was just BURNED OUT.

Then, The Shojo!Copy in his brain started to rebuild what they had, and made some improvements. The Old Belkar Design would only drive him to his demise, a new Belkar desing was needed. A more colaborative, a more comprehensive. He doesn't need to stop being Belkar, but he needed to be a BETTER Belkar.

Copy!Shojo did his work, he rebuilt what Belkar was, and like a newborn, he had to be slapped hard to open his eyes. He was awakened with a phrase full of meaning for itself, and also, for Belkar himself.

EVOLVE OR DIE

Keep being the old Belkar and rot here, OR become the best Belkar ever, and get out of this hole.

That's why Belkar is my favorite character: He has evolved. He's still himself, but he has evolved.
That's -one of the many reasons- I hate Redcloak: He doesn't evolve. He has been hating paladins for... One hundred years? In that time, Belkar would have made a million of fun things! Redcloak? He just walked behind a Lich

martianmister
2013-12-03, 01:16 PM
Vaarsuvius claimed that Belkar lusted after Haley (no real proof) and Hermione Granger (who is a minor at that point, which would make him a paedophile!). None of this is true.

Sir_Leorik
2013-12-03, 01:29 PM
Vaarsuvius claimed that Belkar lusted after Haley (no real proof) and Hermione Granger (who is a minor at that point, which would make him a paedophile!). None of this is true.

Belkar also apparently lusts after Mrs. Butterworth and hates Gerald Ford. I'm pretty sure those are all meant to be jokes about the fact that Belkar is a two-dimensional character. And Belkar probably does lust after Haley, especially after this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0035.html).