PDA

View Full Version : Shard of Divinity [Homebrew Help Request]

Walruse
2013-11-20, 10:32 PM
So. Just started a new campaign last night and I'm trying to finish ironing out details on a doodad they found for the future.

They found small, strange marbles that as long as they were in their possession, substantially increased their abilities (NPC class -> PC class, +2 to all stats, +3 HP).

These, for a mechanical and lore mix, are shards of divine rank. 1/200th to be exact. and acquiring all 200 would absorb them into your body and you would reach divine rank 0. Any ranks beyond 0 require worship.

What I've come to you today to ask, is, beyond the first gem should they acquire more, does anyone have an idea for what they may gain? I was thinking beyond the first the diminishing return on these shards is severe, and becomes almost unnoticed after 5 or 6.

Any opinions, ideas, thoughts are greatly appreciated and thank you very much for reading this far.

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-20, 10:43 PM
Well, if the returns diminish severely (and they pretty much have to if the total is 200), then they better be labeled "collect 200 to become a demigod." Else no one will ever bother to collect that many, as it's lots of work, little immediate reward.

Keep in mind, depending on the makeup of the party, certain classes at certain levels of optimization acquire vast amounts of power just from class levels alone, and might not need marbles/demigodhood to be awesome. So the rewards should be gauged to make sure there is some kind of enticement to the specific PCs involved.

Things that are useful but not so powerful:
- Can use skills untrained.

- Can take 12 on certain skills, instead of take 10.

- Grants greater magic weapon as a spell-like at character level CL, usable 1/day.

- Grants a low-level ToB maneuver.

- Grants ability to overcome a specific type of DR with any weapon or natural weapon.

Walruse
2013-11-20, 10:59 PM
Wow. I REALLY like those ideas for things that are an option. Thank you.

To clarify I don't intend to push them toward collecting these (Although they are certainly more than welcome to try to research these doodads and find out themselves). The "Collect 200" thing would be the goal of an eventual BBEG, which would for obvious reasons put him at odds with the party.

I am just aware that the logical conclusion of someone having picked one of these up is "Lets get more!" and want to plan accordingly.

Thank you again for your post. I love your ideas and beyond that, its got my mind rolling.