PDA

View Full Version : Food Non-traditional dishes you or those close to you make for Thanksgiving?

Isamu Dyson
2013-11-20, 10:37 PM
Outside of the usual turkey/potato/stuffing combination, that is :smallbiggrin:.

ArlEammon
2013-11-20, 11:00 PM
I was hoping maybe Sushi this year.

Marnath
2013-11-21, 12:10 AM
We usually have some venison roast and mac&cheese on the table with the more traditional stuff at my dad's parent's house.

GoblinArchmage
2013-11-21, 12:43 AM
My mom often makes kugel, a traditional Jewish dish that is more delicious than the ambrosia of the greek gods. She also makes the best sweet potatoes, but I guess that doesn't count as non-traditional for Thanksgiving.

Zrak
2013-11-23, 01:05 AM
Since both my mother and myself are vegetarian we usually have quite a few dishes, including at least one "main course," that diverge from the typical turkey-and-stuffing.

Tebryn
2013-11-23, 01:14 AM
I've never had a "traditional" thanksgiving so having on would in fact be non-traditional. Lamb is the usual thanksgiving meat for my family followed by cornish game hen, duck and a plethora of traditional Chinese dishes respectively. I've never had turkey, ham, sweet potato pie or sweet potatoes/yams of any shake, or green been casserole which are from what I've been told traditional fair. Stuffing only happens when we've got some kind of bird, mashed potatoes are a dinner table staple for my family so it's not odd to have them during Thanksgiving and while we do a cranberry mold it's not like what most imagine one to be. We serve it with a maraschino cherry and cream cheese sauce that looks like Pebto and we make it more like jello with blended Mandarin Oranges and pineapples along with the juices of both fruits.

the_druid_droid
2013-11-24, 12:35 AM
This year I'm going to be making a chocolate chipotle chili, which strikes me as delightfully Mayan (or possibly Aztec), at least in spirit. It does technically contain turkey, but I figure it's different enough from the whole roasted bird to be worth mentioning.

DraPrime
2013-11-24, 09:49 AM
Well I have really weird Thanksgiving food. My dad and I, who are Polish, meet with another Polish family for this holiday. Thus the food often ends up being more eastern European than American. To make things weirder, the other family, who always do the cooking, are vegetarian. So they'll cook up a couple pieces of turkey for my dad and me, but besides that it's all vegetarian stuff. It's interesting, but I enjoy it. Occasionally we'll have something normal like pumpkin pie.

Coidzor
2013-11-24, 01:02 PM
One of my friends made thanksgiving themed egg rolls this year.

Dragonwriter713
2013-11-27, 04:32 PM
My mom, partly having Italian ancestry usually makes ravioli.

sktarq
2013-11-27, 04:38 PM
Pork tenderloin this year, A Brisket two years ago, Roast Venison four years ago, Whole catfish (which was a surprise-my brother was visiting from the UK and caught it that morning) six years ago. . . so a bit of variety. It is usually a roast of some sort though.

LoP
2013-11-27, 04:39 PM
This year my friends and I are saying 'eff it' to turkey, because even the most juicy turkey with the crispiest skin is still pretty boring.

We're an ambitious group so this year we're going to roast a few brined ducks, and I'm making Gordon Ramsay's pressed pork belly.

Also, Grand Marnier souffles for dessert.

I'm sure we are going to be consuming upwards of 300+g of fat in single sittings, haha.

Karoht
2013-11-29, 04:58 PM
Baklava, quiche, fondue, all as appetizers/snacks while turkey roasts for 4-6 hours (super low and super slow = super moist and flavorful), have been seen on previous years. This year we are doing standing rib roast and Lamb burgers at someone else's home. Supposedly over open fire pit, but that detail might be an inaccuracy on the part of the messenger.

Coidzor
2013-11-29, 09:32 PM
We usually have some venison roast and mac&cheese on the table with the more traditional stuff at my dad's parent's house.

Non-traditional and yet much closer to what was eaten at the quasi-mythical First Thanksgiving. Funny, no?