PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Conversion: Gunslinger to 3.5e.

Yael
2013-11-20, 11:02 PM
So, as my request goes; is there any way to convert the Gunslinger class (from Ultimate Combat, PathFinder) to 3.5 system? I know that it's quite similar, but the bonus feats, and else things that the PF system offers are not all compatible with 3.5 (I think). Any other post? Or personal changes?

Psyren
2013-11-21, 12:24 AM
What makes you think that? Feats are feats, no matter what system you're in.

The bigger issue is probably finding workable firearm rules in 3.5.

LTwerewolf
2013-11-21, 01:01 AM
Page 145 in the DMG has firearm rules, but they're pretty sparse. You might as well use most of the rules pathfinder has for it. (Ultimate combat has them).

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-21, 05:02 AM
It's a really straight-toward port. Just adjust the class skills for the gunslinger, and import the relevant feats and firearm rules wholesale.

Do, however, be aware that pathfinder's scale of power for non-casters is noteably lower than 3.5's. You may need to adjust some things to bring their power up a bit.

Prime32
2013-11-21, 10:05 AM
The bigger issue is probably finding workable firearm rules in 3.5.The gunslinger class is integrated with PF's firearm rules pretty tightly, so as silly as they are* it's easier to leave them intact.

*For one thing early guns in real life had terrible armor penetration, but were very easy to use (it takes maybe 100 peasants with guns to match 20 trained archers, but the peasants can be had much faster and cheaper). Pathfinder guns are the opposite.

Yael
2013-11-21, 06:11 PM
But the Critical Feats are way too OP for a standard D&D campaign, also my DM said: NO NO to those, which I consider the most OP (Bleeding Critical, for example).

Which Skills change?

I remember something about Perception and Stealth, but I can't recognize any other (Acrobatics maybe?).

Seer_of_Heart
2013-11-21, 06:32 PM
What makes you think that? Feats are feats, no matter what system you're in.

The bigger issue is probably finding workable firearm rules in 3.5.

Probably the gunslinger was designed with the assumption you're playing it in pathfinder with the amount of feats you get in there. Is what he's talking about.

Psyren
2013-11-21, 06:41 PM
But the Critical Feats are way too OP for a standard D&D campaign, also my DM said: NO NO to those, which I consider the most OP (Bleeding Critical, for example).

Which Skills change?

I remember something about Perception and Stealth, but I can't recognize any other (Acrobatics maybe?).

Perception = Spot + Listen
Stealth = Hide + Move Silently
Acrobatics = Jump + Tumble + Balance

Note that in 3.5, Gunslingers should probably get Use Rope. (For wrangling, lassos etc.)

Yael
2013-11-21, 10:55 PM
Perception = Spot + Listen
Stealth = Hide + Move Silently
Acrobatics = Jump + Tumble + Balance

Note that in 3.5, Gunslingers should probably get Use Rope. (For wrangling, lassos etc.)

Way thank you. Is there any other ''shorted'' skill?

Probably the gunslinger was designed with the assumption you're playing it in pathfinder with the amount of feats you get in there. Is what he's talking about.

Yeah, any way to help?

Psyren
2013-11-21, 11:00 PM
Way thank you. Is there any other ''shorted'' skill?

Yes:

Use Rope = gone, now part of the grapple rules.
Gather Information = folded into Diplomacy
Open Lock = folded into Disable Device
Linguistics = Speak Language + Decipher Script + Forgery

Yael
2013-11-21, 11:02 PM
Yes:

Use Rope = gone, now part of the grapple rules.
Gather Information = folded into Diplomacy
Open Lock = folded into Disable Device
Linguistics = Speak Language + Decipher Script + Forgery

Wow, such changes... (no doge intended).
Way thank you, gotta write down those.

Snowbluff
2013-11-21, 11:15 PM
Use the DMG guns rules. You save yourself the sanity rolls. :smalltongue:

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-22, 06:32 AM

They're no stronger than the ambush feats in complete adventurer and scoundrel. Less so even since those feats are keyed to the much easier to trigger sneak attack. Seriously, pathfinder's power curve is lower than 3.5's, at least for non-casters.

Togath
2013-11-22, 06:39 AM
Use the DMG guns rules. You save yourself the sanity rolls. :smalltongue:

The pf ones seem just fine, they actually make them closer in power to melee weapons.

Yael
2013-11-22, 07:04 AM
They're no stronger than the ambush feats in complete adventurer and scoundrel. Less so even since those feats are keyed to the much easier to trigger sneak attack. Seriously, pathfinder's power curve is lower than 3.5's, at least for non-casters.

But I think that the Ambush Feats are way too situational and focused to actualy hit a Sneak Attack/Sudden Strike (obviously), however, the Critical tree allows any kind of character (with +8 BAB) to deal really huge crowd control efects into battle; I mean, the Bleeding Critical (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/bleeding-critical-combat-critical) feat seems way too overpowered for me, especially if you stack it with, I dunno, a real deal 4d6 Sneak Attack, maybe 2 of them (+8/+3), and that 2d6 damage each round of the current turn, without forgettin' about the good ol' crit damage, could (will) become a real pain for who's taking it, now, next turn...

Bring me two rapiers please~~!

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-22, 07:29 AM
But I think that the Ambush Feats are way too situational and focused to actualy hit a Sneak Attack/Sudden Strike (obviously), however, the Critical tree allows any kind of character (with +8 BAB) to deal really huge crowd control efects into battle; I mean, the Bleeding Critical (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/bleeding-critical-combat-critical) feat seems way too overpowered for me, especially if you stack it with, I dunno, a real deal 4d6 Sneak Attack, maybe 2 of them (+8/+3), and that 2d6 damage each round of the current turn, without forgettin' about the good ol' crit damage, could (will) become a real pain for who's taking it, now, next turn...

Bring me two rapiers please~~!

Compare it to disemboweling strike, 1d4 con damage guaranteed if you can get into flanking position or catch him flat-footed vs bleeding critical's 7ish damage per round on 28.5% of the character's attacks at most, neither can hit the same target more than once in the same combat.

The other critical feats compare much more directly with certain ambush feats. It's a toss-up at best. Personally, I'd rather have the reliability of the ambush feats over the ease of use of the critical feats but there's really no arguing that they aren't -really- close in power.

Snowbluff
2013-11-22, 08:59 AM
The pf ones seem just fine, they actually make them closer in power to melee weapons.

Could you explain this? The misfire and touch rules are messed up.