PDA

View Full Version : Artificer and his minions

kalos72
2013-11-20, 11:19 PM
So I am a bit confused on how your homunculus are supposed to help speed up your item creation.

I have read your still limited to the one item in production at a time line so other then not having to sit there and do the work for the 245 days it takes to make said item, is there another benefit?

Can you use 10 of them and cut the time down to 25 days or something?

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 12:40 AM
So I am a bit confused on how your homunculus are supposed to help speed up your item creation.

I have read your still limited to the one item in production at a time line so other then not having to sit there and do the work for the 245 days it takes to make said item, is there another benefit?

Only one Dedicated Wright Homunculus can aid you. Some people decide that if you build a bunch of them they can all make Magic items for you but by RAW the ability only says that 'he can take over your crafting duties' and at no point does it say you get more Magic Item Crafting opportunities.

However, it's a real time saver in that you can dump him into a Portable Hole or Enveloping Pit and he'll craft the item while you still get to go out and acquire funds and materials from adventuring.

One thing though, only creating Magic items is limited to 'one at a time and if you start another the first is ruined'. Mundane crafting using the Craft skill itself can be started and stopped at will and both you and your Dedicated Wright Homunculus can work separately pooling the results of your mundane Craft checks.

kalos72
2013-11-21, 07:48 AM
Ahh ok. The way I was reading is was that the Artificer had to be there for the initiation of the project to cast the spells and make your rolls but that the little guy could finish.

If that was the case, it seems logical that if I spend that first hour at 10 projects and then let the multiple wrights work on each of them...I thought I read that one some where? Hmmmm

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 09:15 AM
Ahh ok. The way I was reading is was that the Artificer had to be there for the initiation of the project to cast the spells and make your rolls but that the little guy could finish.

If that was the case, it seems logical that if I spend that first hour at 10 projects and then let the multiple wrights work on each of them...I thought I read that one some where? Hmmmm

To the best of my knowledge a given character can still only work on one Magic Item at a time. And a Dedicated Wright Familiar just allows your work on Magic Items to be done while you are not actually present.

One possible workaround would be to 'Constructs are Magic Items' rules interpretation, (explicit for Golems, only implied for other Constructs) and use the Feats in Items sidebar from the Arms and Equipment Guide to pay 10,000gp per feat and 5,000gp per each feat's prerequisite to literally put the item creation feats into the Dedicated Wright Homunculus so it can make it's own Magic Items too.

Doing this it would spend 8 hrs per day working on your stuff and 8 hrs working on it's own stuff at your instruction. But it requires a whole heap of DM begging.

kalos72
2013-11-21, 10:01 AM
That makes sense, I have to look for the wording I thought I saw about having to spend one hour to cast spells and make rolls.

What about multiple wrights on the same item?

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 11:07 AM
That makes sense, I have to look for the wording I thought I saw about having to spend one hour to cast spells and make rolls.

What about multiple wrights on the same item?

As there's no listed effect for having several all work on the same item at the same time then there isn't one. However, creatures in D&D 3.x also count as characters in certain circumstances.

Here's a link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a)to a WotC article detailing an item that allows multiple characters to contribute to one item.

Not sure what RAW says about xp in monsters/NPCs/minions but I could have sworn I read somewhere that a given creature will have at least enough xp for it's current HD and with the Greater Humanoid Essence spell and level draining shenanigans you could create xp in your minions to make the linked item more useful.

shadow_archmagi
2013-11-21, 11:19 AM

Well, it's only 1 day per thousand GP, so most items will only be a few weeks. On top of that, artificers roll around in a pile of bonus feats, so they can take the -25% time feat to shave that 200 days to 150. But yeah, after that, the homunculus's advantage is that it eliminates the need for your character to stay at home in order to craft.

kalos72
2013-11-21, 03:40 PM
I think I found some good data:
https://sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/bestiary/monsters/g-i/homunculus-dedicated-wright

Item Creation (Su): A dedicate wright can be commanded to perform the necessary tasks related to magical item creation on behalf of its master. The master must meet or emulate all the necessary prerequisites, have the appropriate tools for the dedicated wright to use and pay item creation cost for the necessary raw materials. The wright then is able to perform the necessary tasks, spending the necessary time and leaving the master to continue with other projects. It takes 1 hour to given the dedicated wright the necessary commands to make a magical item and a dedicated wright can only work on one item at a time. Otherwise, it acts as the master, using his skill ranks, caster level, feats, spells known and all other aspects related for the magical item creation process as they are at the time of the 1 hour spent giving the commands.
A dedicated wright can be commanded to abandon any progress toward a magical item, but if it starts a new project, any progress toward the original project is lost. If the magical item creation can benefit from teamwork, multiple dedicated wrights can be commanded to work together, although dedicated wrights from multiple masters must all qualify normally to assist. Lastly, dedicated wrights can be commanded to use their Craft skills for mundane projects, but they use their own Craft modifiers for these mundane projects.

This doesnt appear to communicate the same 1 item per caster limit as with creating the item yourself. And answers the question about multiple wright on the same project, although I dont remember seeing any notes that specify items that can benefit from multiple crafters.

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 03:46 PM
I think I found some good data:
https://sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/bestiary/monsters/g-i/homunculus-dedicated-wright

Item Creation (Su): A dedicate wright can be commanded to perform the necessary tasks related to magical item creation on behalf of its master. The master must meet or emulate all the necessary prerequisites, have the appropriate tools for the dedicated wright to use and pay item creation cost for the necessary raw materials. The wright then is able to perform the necessary tasks, spending the necessary time and leaving the master to continue with other projects. It takes 1 hour to given the dedicated wright the necessary commands to make a magical item and a dedicated wright can only work on one item at a time. Otherwise, it acts as the master, using his skill ranks, caster level, feats, spells known and all other aspects related for the magical item creation process as they are at the time of the 1 hour spent giving the commands.
A dedicated wright can be commanded to abandon any progress toward a magical item, but if it starts a new project, any progress toward the original project is lost. If the magical item creation can benefit from teamwork, multiple dedicated wrights can be commanded to work together, although dedicated wrights from multiple masters must all qualify normally to assist. Lastly, dedicated wrights can be commanded to use their Craft skills for mundane projects, but they use their own Craft modifiers for these mundane projects.

This doesnt appear to communicate the same 1 item per caster limit as with creating the item yourself. And answers the question about multiple wright on the same project, although I dont remember seeing any notes that specify items that can benefit from multiple crafters.

Ah now see this is a Pathfinder rules update. And I know next to nothing about the Pathfinder. Matter of fact, I hadn't seen the page you linked till just now. Ever.

But that does help me to understand how so many people seem to think that many D. Wrights make light work. Thanks for the link.

kalos72
2013-11-21, 05:55 PM
Anyone have a good resource for the specifics on making magic items other then scouring every book I own? :(

Some of the details with these wrights seems a little too vague for me...

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 06:15 PM
Anyone have a good resource for the specifics on making magic items other then scouring every book I own? :(

Some of the details with these wrights seems a little too vague for me...

What specifics specifically? And vague how?

Every Magic item is different up to a point. You should check out the Magic Item Compendium book for starters. It updates Magic Items in general and some of the construction specifically.

The back of the DMG has some important Magic item creation info as well; so does the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm).

There's a useful sidebar in the Arms and Equipment Guide about putting Feats in Items.

There's rules for making Magic item buildings in the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook.

If Pathfinder is more your thing they have a load of stuff online. But again, PF's not exactly my thing. Yet.

kalos72
2013-11-22, 08:18 AM
Those suggestions should be a good place for me to start.

Trying to figure out how to equip a personal guard unit I have. :)

unseenmage
2013-11-22, 09:23 AM
Those suggestions should be a good place for me to start.

Trying to figure out how to equip a personal guard unit I have. :)

Oh, in that case you'll want to check ou the Lists of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) and Shax's Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175203).

kalos72
2013-11-22, 01:16 PM
Nice! Thanks!!! :)