PDA

View Full Version : Uses for a Clay Golem?

killem2
2013-11-20, 11:23 PM
There is a chance, that our party might gain control of a Clay Golem. What would you use it for? :smallbiggrin:

TuggyNE
2013-11-20, 11:32 PM
Use it to bash enemies? It's a beatstick, that's pretty much it.

Lightlawbliss
2013-11-20, 11:33 PM
circumstance bonus on intimidate checks, adding energy to a system, and/or increasing entropy?

Benthesquid
2013-11-21, 12:01 AM
Powering a mill or factory. Pulling wagons. Anything that requires brute strength applied for a long period of time, but no skill or expertise.

Psyren
2013-11-21, 12:02 AM
Hollow out recesses, fill with damp soil, tasteful flower arrangements.

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-21, 12:03 AM
send it into a really big fire and sell the resulting statue as a work of art then use the gold you get to buy a better golem (I suggest something diamond-y)

Lanson
2013-11-21, 12:03 AM
Primary Trap Tester?

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-21, 12:12 AM
Primary Trap Tester?

yours or theirs?

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 12:32 AM
Delivery system for Deadly Slimes and Molds. They don't hurt the Golem, but are lethal to the living.

Same goes for Contact Poisons, smear the Golem in them then have him hug your enemies.

He's Large size so hugging enemies to death is just kinda effective in general.

See if your DM will let you pay to have him advanced into a higher HD, larger version of himself.

Greater Humanoid Essence (RoE) + Mineral Warrior (Un) spells will give him the Earth subtype, a Burrow speed, and free him from your control in "a year and a day". But only if you can get that GHE spell to last a day or cast the MW spell in less than a day.

He doesn't breathe so have him chillax in a Portable Hole until you need him. Also lets you sneak him into cities where he might otherwise not be allowed.
Edit: See my sig for 'How Many Golems You Can Fit In a Portable Hole'.

If your DM uses the "Constructs are Magic Items" rules interpretation, especially for Golems as their descriptions actually call them out as being Magic Items, then he can be improved just like any Magic Item as per the rules in the MIC. (Be aware though that this rules interpretation also makes them immune to Polymorph Any Object.)

The Awaken Construct or Incarnate Construct spells will free him from your control and net you a neat new ally.

Augment Automotons in Dragon 327 page 72 lists the price for giving a Golem Intelligence at 8,00gp. Also gives it Feats and Skills. And you still control it.
Article can also give it extra arms (RAW no listed limit), and help offset the Berserk quality.

Craft Contingent Spell feat lets you put a number of Contingent spells into a creature = their HD. And they remain after the creature dies. I like putting in Animate Objects or Minor Servitor (SS) set to when the Golem is killed so it gets right back up again.

There's another Template in a Dragon Magazine somewhere that only applies to Golems. Binds them to a location but lets them Greater Teleport within that location at will.

The Sacred Guardian Template in Dragonlance Bestiary of Krynn will make the Golem Intelligent, give it languages, give it Fast Healing, AND give it some superpowers based on what deity it's dedicated to. And it's cheap.

Giving the Golem an Intelligent Magic Item will let the Intelligent Magic Item dominate the Golem. (Might require generous applications of Greater Humanoid Essence.)

There's a list of plants in my sig, one of them is the Lichbriar. It's this nasty evil plant that would be more than happy to let your Golem carry it around.
The Wishfern listed there as well can only be handled by non-living creatures, or it dies.

So there you are, just a sampling of what you 'can do with a Golem'.
Here's hoping there's something in there you can have fun with.

GoblinArchmage
2013-11-21, 12:38 AM
It's perfect for defending your community from harassment by anti-semitic people.

cakellene
2013-11-21, 12:40 AM
Don't think opening of portable hole is big enough for him to squeeze into it.

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 12:42 AM
Don't think opening of portable hole is big enough for him to squeeze into it.

See my sig, the Squeezing Rules in the PH and the SRD are nice for some things. And as he's not alive, doesn't breathe, doesn't eat, and doesn't age... well lets just say he won't mind stuffing himself into as small a space as the rules allow.

killem2
2013-11-21, 08:38 AM
While I'm on it, I should ask, are druids banned from interacting with golems, like they are with Undead.

BWR
2013-11-21, 08:58 AM
Use it to handle your postal service.

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 09:20 AM
While I'm on it, I should ask, are druids banned from interacting with golems, like they are with Undead.

I only find one reference to Undead in the Druid entry in the PH and it doesn't say they can't interact with them, just that they hate them and sometimes lead raids against them,

"While druids accept that which is horrific
or cruel in nature, they hate that which is unnatural, including
aberrations (such as beholders and carrion crawlers) and undead
(such as zombies and vampires). Druids sometimes lead raids against
such creatures, especially when they encroach on the druids’
territory."

Which to me reads more like a roleplaying opportunity than a steadfast rule to enforce. And there is no mention of Constructs at all. In fact the Bogun (SC), and several other Constructs are specifically meant for use by Druids.

ArcturusV
2013-11-21, 09:55 AM
Hollow out chest. Apply fireball. Use as a brick fired pizza oven?

Studoku
2013-11-21, 10:03 AM
Use it to handle your postal service.
Tell it it owns itself and let it join the watch.

killem2
2013-11-21, 10:13 AM
I only find one reference to Undead in the Druid entry in the PH and it doesn't say they can't interact with them, just that they hate them and sometimes lead raids against them,

Which to me reads more like a roleplaying opportunity than a steadfast rule to enforce. And there is no mention of Constructs at all. In fact the Bogun (SC), and several other Constructs are specifically meant for use by Druids.

Thanks! Now I don't feel so bad about wanting to use it lol. :smallbiggrin:

Scow2
2013-11-21, 10:16 AM
Turn it into an oversized Chia Pet.

I also like the pizza oven idea.

hymer
2013-11-21, 10:40 AM
Unless you can find some way to get rid of the Berserk special attack, I wouldn't use it in combat. It has a value of 40k gp, so I'd probably look into selling it to someone who has a noncombat use for it.

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 11:08 AM
Unless you can find some way to get rid of the Berserk special attack, I wouldn't use it in combat. It has a value of 40k gp, so I'd probably look into selling it to someone who has a noncombat use for it.

Covered that one.

Augment Automotons in Dragon 327 page 72 lists the price for giving a Golem Intelligence at 8,00gp. Also gives it Feats and Skills. And you still control it.
Article can also give it extra arms (RAW no listed limit), and help offset the Berserk quality.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-21, 11:53 AM
Tell it it owns itself and let it join the watch.
Use it as a pump's power source for over a hundred years then use it as live-in parole officer.

Lord Haart
2013-11-21, 12:08 PM
Throw him at every boss you meet to slow them down.

killem2
2013-11-21, 12:36 PM
Now, here's the tricky part.

The creator we know is a Kobold wizard. This is his creation.

How do we get HIM to give us control. I know he's at least level 11.

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 12:37 PM
Now, here's the tricky part.

The creator we know is a Kobold wizard. This is his creation.

How do we get HIM to give us control. I know he's at least level 11.

Arms and Equipment Guide, Rod of Construct Control.

Or the Warforged Domain from Faiths of Eberron.

killem2
2013-11-21, 12:44 PM
Too pricey and no cleric :smallfrown:

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 01:02 PM
Too pricey and no cleric :smallfrown:

Well then technically you could mind control the creator/controller of a Constuct and command them to command it to obey only you.

Sometimes though creator/controllers will have contingency commands in place for just this eventuality. It depends on how motivated the DM is though. Stuff like, "Obey any new controller who isn't me but only for a week then kill them when they're immobile." (Sleep generally immobilizes, but not all creatures sleep.)

There's also the complication that almost no matter what he says to the contrary a creator can almost always regain command of his Construct just by giving it a new order by RAW.

Using the Greater Humanoid Essence spell to make the Golem a Humanoid, thereby getting rid of it's Construct traits for a time, could let you mind control it directly. But it's creator could still step in and regain control.

The aforementioned Awaken Construct and Incarnate Construct spells would free it from anyone's control, but it's attitude becomes Friendly towards you. One or two Diplomacy rolls away from Fanatical, after which point they'd even die for you they're so friendly.

Zubrowka74
2013-11-21, 01:44 PM
I was thinking about several uses that are not forum appropriate but I must say that Chia Pet and Pizza Oven are the best ideas so far.

Callin
2013-11-21, 01:50 PM
I would honestly use it for transport and then toss it in a bag of holding for dungeons. He also makes for a good lockpick.

Though out this whole thread I have had a mental horror of a parody of Ghost.

A DnD Ghost draining away the life force of a chick at the potters wheel working a Clay Golem into an Urn.

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 02:34 PM
I would honestly use it for transport and then toss it in a bag of holding for dungeons. He also makes for a good lockpick.

Though out this whole thread I have had a mental horror of a parody of Ghost.

A DnD Ghost draining away the life force of a chick at the potters wheel working a Clay Golem into an Urn.

If by "good lockpick" you mean he can do a pretty good impression of the Cool-Aid Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9QiqYi6A8), then I agree. (Though it would be more likely he's able to Drag the wall away than Burst it I suppose.)

Lightlawbliss
2013-11-21, 04:04 PM
If by "good lockpick" you mean he can do a pretty good impression of the Cool-Aid Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9QiqYi6A8), then I agree. (Though it would be more likely he's able to Drag the wall away than Burst it I suppose.)

the best door is the one your enemy didn't know exists.

Coidzor
2013-11-21, 04:29 PM
Well, I'd see if I could turn it into a Ceramic Golem and then I'd rename it Mr. Pump.

Knaight
2013-11-21, 04:37 PM
Free the elemental within, on account of how the D&D 3.x way of making and using golems is several times worse than the equivalent with undead.

Morithias
2013-11-21, 04:40 PM
Sell it.

Seriously you are going to get screwed over. BADLY.

"Berserk (Ex)
When a clay golem enters combat, there is a cumulative 1% chance each round that its elemental spirit breaks free and the golem goes berserk. The uncontrolled golem goes on a rampage, attacking the nearest living creature or smashing some object smaller than itself if no creature is within reach, then moving on to spread more destruction. Once a clay golem goes berserk, no known method can reestablish control."

NO known method.

It's going to enter combat, it's going to go berserk, and it's going to kill one of you.

Sell it, and NEVER LOOK BACK.

Minions that turn on you, are useless.

Seriously I'd rather take a Helmed Horror. At least that thing is intelligent, and it's cheaper to boot.

Callin
2013-11-21, 05:00 PM

Yup thats what I meant.

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 05:06 PM
Sell it.

"Berserk (Ex)
When a clay golem enters combat, there is a cumulative 1% chance each round that its elemental spirit breaks free and the golem goes berserk. The uncontrolled golem goes on a rampage, attacking the nearest living creature or smashing some object smaller than itself if no creature is within reach, then moving on to spread more destruction. Once a clay golem goes berserk, no known method can reestablish control."

NO known method.

It's going to enter combat, it's going to go berserk, and it's going to kill one of you.

Seriously I'd rather take a Helmed Horror. At least that thing is intelligent, and it's cheaper to boot.

There is one method that I know of at least which was mentioned earlier. Dragon 327 page 73.

Advanced Binding
Your construct cannot go berserk.
Construct Prerequisites: Construct,
berserk extraordinary ability.
Creator Prerequisites: Craft Construct,
CL 10th.
Cost: +3,000 gp.
CR Adjustment: +0
The elemental spirit responsible
for animating your construct is bound
utterly to your will As such, constructs
with the berserk extraordinary ability no
longer suffer a chance of going berserk
and are for all account and purposes
treated as though they lack that ability.
A flesh golem with advanced binding
costs 23,000 gp and requires a spell·
caster to spend 23 days, 13,500 gp, and
920 XP to create.

Psyren
2013-11-21, 05:09 PM
It looks like you have to apply that while the golem is being constructed, making it too late for this one.

killem2
2013-11-21, 05:18 PM
Sell it.

"Berserk (Ex)

NO known method.

It would still make a very useful out of combat tunneler.

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 05:18 PM
It looks like you have to apply that while the golem is being constructed, making it too late for this one.

And Psyren is right again, my apologies.

Grollub
2013-11-21, 06:04 PM

just make sure to throw a magic mouth on it to shout out, "Oh yeaaah!" :smallcool: