PDA

View Full Version : Darkheld Mansion [Plot]

Pages : [1] 2

AmberVael
2007-01-11, 05:53 PM
A long time ago, in a galaxy-
*Rewinds and ejects tape*

Far from the town, in an entirely different world, in fact, there is a large, darkened mansion known as the Darkheld.
This is the current residence of one Vahlziir.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 05:54 PM
A Gate opens, and Kosuke, Gaheris, and Lyrak emerge from it and look around.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-11, 05:56 PM
Gaheris exited the gate in an overhead tumble and came up in a low crouch, sword in hand. He nodded to Lyrak as his enchanted chain shirt started to blend with the abundant shadows, working to hide him from sight as he moved silently to the edge of the room.

AmberVael
2007-01-11, 05:57 PM
They find themselves in a small, darkened study with a number of bookcases and dust lined tomes. In one corner there is a large, arch-backed chair with a desk. Vahlziir looks up from it, smiling coldly.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/sjunderw/valhiir.gif
"Ah yes... interesting group you have here. Were these mercenaries on discount, favored pet of Arha?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 05:59 PM
They're hardly mercenaries. Lyrak activates the powerstone and dons a few more protections.

Kosuke transforms back into his true form and readies his greatsword.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-11, 06:00 PM
Gaheris had little doubt he'd already been seen, but all the same he simply fixed Vahlziir in the iciest, most unrelenting stare his green eyes could muster as he advanced slowly through the shadows, darkened blade in hand.

AmberVael
2007-01-11, 06:02 PM
Vahlziir smirks, not even bothering to get out of his chair. He briefly tests their minds with a spell and finds them shielded.
"You've tried to prepare yourselves, I see."

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-11, 06:05 PM
This particular jig was up, Gaheris saw. Already; so disappointing.

"Justice has come for you, necromancer. Surrender now, and I may not dispense it upon you where you sit." The paladin glowered as a white light began to tinge both the corners of his eyes and the edges of his sword.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 06:14 PM
We did what we could. Lyrak draws the pistol Iames gave him. You won't force Arha to do your bidding any more.

Kosuke releases his greatsword, and it hovers next to him. He readies his bow and nocks an arrow.

AmberVael
2007-01-11, 06:58 PM
"You really think you administer justice? You merely spout out the nonsense that your respective gods have fed to you; let it lead and control your lives..."
Vahlziir sneers at them, still not moving from his chair.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-11, 07:02 PM
Gaheris never stopped moving closer. "Justice isn't that complicated, really," he said in an almost conversational tone as he stalked towards Vahlziir's chair. "At it's most basic, it's a simple matter of cause and effect. You go about killing people, and the natural just reaction is to visit their fates upon you." He paused in the speaking, though not movement. "Of course, tempering justice with mercy makes things a bit simpler than that. You only kill someone once."

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 07:07 PM
I never claimed to administer justice. This is about protecting her from you... and avenging what you've done to both of us. Lyrak pulls the trigger and a gunshot fills the room; the gun magically reloads and primes itself, as Iames had promised, and Lyrak pulls the trigger 3 times more.

Kosuke brings his aim up and looses his arrow at Vahlziir, following it with 3 more.

AmberVael
2007-01-11, 07:11 PM
The shots and arrows ping off of a wall of force around Vahlziir. He smirks and continues speaking as if it had never happened.
"Oh, and I am not a necromancer, so if you would please not refer to me as such? Necromancy has its advantages, but the dead are hardly as useful as the living."

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 07:15 PM
Lyrak scowls. Kosuke?

Yes?

Mr. Kosuke, tear down that wall. ((reference cookie available!))

The solar nods and stows his bow, chanting an incantation and firing a sickly green ray at the wall of force.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-11, 07:22 PM
[Well. There goes the smiting I was about to deliver direct to his face.]

Gaheris coolly keeps speaking as though the misdirected shots had never occurred. "I care not whether you're necromancer, enchanter, or whatever else. Your profession does not matter to me; what you do with it does. And what you've done with it requires a response." He was within easy lunging distance of the chair by now.

AmberVael
2007-01-11, 07:29 PM
Vahlziir shakes his head as the wall goes down.
"Your morals are a mere matter of perspective, and that is something you cannot deny. How can you justify slaying me over my beliefs when you find yourself innocent for following your own?"

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-11, 07:39 PM
"Don't pretend you don't know why. You're destructive. You set a brainwashed murderer loose upon us for no apparent reason, and no reason you could have had could justify the killing spree." He stopped and raised the tip of his sword slightly. "And as I said, this requires a response."

His left hand moved in a blur, tossing his iron bands at Vahlziir while the sword in the right hopefully held his attention. The small iron sphere expanded into the familiar whirling bands, reaching out to entrap and hold the wizard.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 07:39 PM
It is not the mere fact that you follow your beliefs; it is the fact that those beliefs are wrong, are harmful to others who have done nothing to deserve such harm. That is what makes you guilty. Lyrak fires another 4 rounds.

Kosuke directs the greatsword to attack Vahlziir, and then casts detect undead.

AmberVael
2007-01-11, 07:45 PM
Vahlziir does not move from his chair as undead simply burst into the air around him, appearing in flashes of mist. One of the skeletons takes Lyrak's shots, while another tackles Kosuke's greatsword, trying to pin it whether it hurts him or not. One raises an arm to block the iron bands, then brainlessly watches its hand fall off and the bands strike Vahlziir, who snarls as they close around him.
Three skeletons move in on each person in the room, including Vahlziir. The last three protect him, however, rather than attack.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-11, 07:53 PM
Gaheris half-smiled. "Necromancer," he said as his left hand again blurred into the cloak and came out with a flask. He fended off a skeleton with his sword as he tossed the flask into the air, where it was consumed, bottle and all, in a flash of silver light.

Then the roof began to pour as though it was a storm cloud. Wind whipped up, roaring in the ears of everyone in the room as torrents of holy water poured down from above. To Vahlziir, if unprotected, it would feel like acid. To the skeletons, it was the very essence of the bane of their existence.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 07:56 PM
Lyrak nods to Kosuke and chants a spell. He lashes out at an approaching skeleton as if he'd had years of training in the martial arts.

Kosuke smirks and aims his angelic fist at one of the skeletons approaching him.

AmberVael
2007-01-11, 07:58 PM
Vahlziir mutters a harsh word, and suddenly the storm disperses without Gaheris's volition. However, Vahlziir appears to have been splashed with acid, and his skeletons have taken serious damage.
Lyrak manages to decapitate one with a well aimed fist, while Kosuke's shatters into pieces.
The other undead claw at their targets.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-11, 08:04 PM
A skeleton's bony fingers slashed across Gaheris' left arm as he held it up to ward off a more serious blow. "Then we do this the old fashioned way," he said with a slight grunt of pain as he swept his shield off his back in a fluid motion and at the same time once again invoked the power of Tyr. His sword thrummed for just a moment and then took on a gray radiance, as it was filled with magic dedicated to the destruction of the undead. He then assumed a guard stance, waiting for the abominations to come to him.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 08:09 PM
Kosuke's greatsword is pinned by the skeletons.

Lyrak dodges the attack of one skeleton, blocks the attack of the other, and then launches into a series of rapid strikes, distributing them equally between the two skeletons attack him.

Kosuke casts cure moderate wounds, mass.

AmberVael
2007-01-11, 08:13 PM
Lyrak's skeletons die between a combination of strikes and cure spell, while the two attacking Kosuke redouble their efforts. The three others swipe at Gaheris.
Vahlziir chants a dark invocation, which then begins to boil the blood in Kosuke's veins.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-11, 08:17 PM
Gaheris focused on parrying and dodging the skeletons' attacks as he struck back, the grey energy almost seeming eager to jump to the undead targets, partly driving the sword with it.

[Translation to D&D mechanics, in case that's easier: Combat Expertise to the max, and then depend on my now +3 holy undead bane longsword do the rest of the work.]

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 08:34 PM
Kosuke grits his teeth, fighting the effects of the spell, manging to aim his fist at another skeleton.

Lyrak jumps forward onto the desk in front of Vahlziir, avoiding the skeletons guarding him, and presses the muzzle of his pistol to Vahlziir's forehead. Tehanu sends her regards, he says coldly, and pulls the trigger.

AmberVael
2007-01-11, 08:47 PM
As Vahlziir sees Lyrak coming, he winces and chants a small spell. His skeletons delay Lyrak just long enough for him to finish.
The shot goes straight through his head, but does not do anything to him. Its as if he was not there.
Gaheris chops two of the skeletons into pieces, while the other backs up a little.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 09:03 PM
Lyrak casts true seeing and looks around.

Kosuke casts heal, mass.

AmberVael
2007-01-11, 09:42 PM
Lyrak sees everything as it is normally, including Vahlziir in front of him. The skeletons crumble into dust.
Vahlziir stands up, moving right through the iron bands, smirking.
"You'll have to do better than that."

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 09:51 PM
But I don't have to. Lyrak keeps the pistol trained on Vahlziir's head, but does not fire... yet.

Kosuke,trying not to twitch in pain, chants an incantation, and the magic around him is suppressed. He inhales as the spell's effect vanishes and moves to bring Lyrak and Vahlziir inside the field.

As Lyrak feels the magic become blocked off, he pulls the trigger. As befits a gift from a deity, the gun reloads and primes itself regardless of the antimagic field, and Lyrak fires again, and again, and again.

AmberVael
2007-01-11, 10:01 PM
Vahlziir leaps to avoid the field, looking quite undignified (something he tries not look like) as he moves out of it. Lyrak's shots miss his head, but streak along his side and arm, shattering bone. Black blood oozes from his wounds, and Vahlziir staggers backwards, just out of the field, but mortally wounded.
"You haven't won this."
He presses against the wall and simply melts through it.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-12, 04:23 AM
"Damn," Gaheris muttered as he cleaved through a final skeleton. "We've got to find him."

[I'm really sorry; I got so tired that I managed to forget what we were doing between posts and just go to sleep. :smalleek:]

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 10:38 AM
That we do, Lyrak nods and looks around for a door.

Kosuke methodically smashes the skeletal remains into dust, then drops the AMF.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-12, 10:51 AM
Gaheris retrieved his iron bands, retracting them back into sphere form. He tucked the sphere into his cloak as he followed Lyrak, once again blending into the shadows.

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 12:10 PM
There is a single door, on the opposite side of the room from the desk and where Vahlziir disappeared.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 12:18 PM
Lyrak goes over to the door.

Kosuke picks up his greatsword.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-12, 12:20 PM
Gaheris moved to flank the door. He quickly examined the knob and the edges of the door, looking for any sort of alarm or trap.

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 12:23 PM
Its a door made of some kind of thick, blackish wood. Fairly well made.
Gaheris sees no traps.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-12, 12:26 PM
He nodded curtly to Lyrak and put his back to the wall next to the door's opening side, sword held upright against his chest.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 12:29 PM
Lyrak looks over at Kosuke, and the solar nods. Lyrak reaches over and pulls the door open.

Kosuke stands ready with his greatsword.

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 12:31 PM
Cthulhu jumps through the door and screams in an abyssal language!
No, seriously, the door opens to an entirely normal, well lit hallway with a few doors on each side (we'll say 3) and a staircase leading off to one side.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 12:34 PM
Kosuke moves through the door and down the hallway, stopping when he reaches the top of the flight of stairs.

Lyrak follows him.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-12, 12:35 PM
Gaheris was slightly disappointed with the lighting, but stepped through the door anyway, sword and shield in ready guard.

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 12:40 PM
One of the doors in the hallway cracks open 'stealthily.' As in the kind of stealth used by someone who barely knows what they are doing.
The stairs lead down, then turn in a 90 degree angle. It is lined by walls, so you cannot see where it leads to.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 12:46 PM
Lyrak hears the door open, and he turns to see what it is, his pistol rising.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-12, 12:50 PM
'Amateur,' Gaheris thought to himself as he silently turned to face the door, prepared to charge.

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 12:51 PM
There is a small gasp of surprise and the door quickly clicks shut. There are sounds of someone trying to lock it.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-12, 12:55 PM
Gaheris' eyes narrowed. He sheathed Bright Edge and rushed to the door, attempting to hold the latch open before it could be locked.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 12:58 PM
Lyrak waits to see if Gaheris is successful.

Kosuke moves down to the landing.

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 12:59 PM
Between Gaheris and Lyrak, they get the door open, and find a very frightened and confused maid backing against the wall. She looks around frantically.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-12, 01:01 PM
Gaheris' eyes began to glow a dim blue as he looked past her flesh, examining her spirit for the taint of evil. "Who are you," he said in as gentle a tone as his deep voice could manage.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 01:03 PM
Lyrak, who went over to the door anyway, lowers his pistol so it's no longer pointed at her. He casts calm emotions at her.

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 01:05 PM
"E- e- Eva..."
She is entirely normal, not evil, not tainted in any sort of way. Her eyes focus on Gaheris's sword, which, even though it is sheathed, seems to inspire a fair bit of fear.
Eva shrieks as Lyrak casts his spell, but then calms down as it takes hold on her.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-12, 01:08 PM
"I am Lord Gaheris Trollbane of the church of Tyr," he said gravely. "We have come for Vahlziir. Do you know where he has gone?"

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 02:41 PM
"No, lord."
Eva, despite the magical calming effect, is still a bit freaked.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-12, 02:55 PM
Gaheris gave a reassuring smile and allowed his aura of courage to bolster her against her fears. "We will not harm you. If you wish to leave this place, we will take you with us when we go."

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 02:57 PM
Eva looks entirely confused. "Leave? Why would I do that? Why are you looking for Vahlziir anyways?"

The bolstering effect seems to have helped her regain curiosity.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-12, 03:20 PM
Gaheris sighed. "This is complicated," he said. "The short version is that Vahlziir has been killing people and wreaking all kinds of havoc where we came from, and we are here to put a stop to it. How we do that is entirely up to him."

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 03:21 PM
Eva is stunned, and she shakes her head.
"Oh no no no, you have to have the wrong man. Master Vahlziir would never do something like that."

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-12, 03:28 PM
He raised an eyebrow. "Wouldn't he? You know, he did just turn a dozen animated skeletons loose on us back in his study. They didn't get that way by themselves."

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 03:48 PM
Eva shakes her head.
"Master Vahlziir is a good man. Talk to the mayor's wife! The shepherds in the countryside... the barman... anyone!"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 04:24 PM
He altered my memories to push me to the verge of physically assaulting my lover. He tortures her when she doesn't carry out his commands. He might limit his evil acts to those from other worlds, or he may have bewitched people, but he is a bad man.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-12, 04:36 PM
'Classic villain move,' Gaheris thought to himself. 'Make yourself a pillar of the community at home, and then go pursue your schemes elsewhere.'

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 10:50 PM
Eva shakes her head, refusing to believe it. Her eyes are wide and incredulous.

Elsewhere...
Vahlziir has slowly patched up his wounds with necromatic spells, and life drained from minions. He stands in the midst of a darkened room, a single orb of reddish light illuminating the crawling, bloody runes that he has etched onto the floor in a circle.
Vahlziir closes his eyes and lets out a breath, feeling the magic ready in the air... in his tainted blood, and the tatters of his soul.
His eyes snap open, glowing crimson, and chants dark words that writhe and echo about the wide, circular room...
"D'nal jeck-ton... virisuul isthdreyull tavadris... kantaliis indecant veratul."
The circle blazes with light, and the light slowly condenses into the glowing orb. Vahlziir points his staff towards it, and dark tendrils of magic chase towards it and spiral around it.
They begin to shape a man... or the outline of one.
"Incasen vellturen... urasil yedantil timoris gedante!"
The lights suddenly vanish as the man is fully summoned, and Vahlziir summons another orb to examine his new servant.

Sophistemon
2007-01-12, 10:55 PM
There is blood. Blood everywhere. Dripping from his hands, sluicing from his mouth, and pouring like a crimson waterfall from under his chin.

"Gluck... koff... hlukk..." He struggles for a breath he should not be able to have, oxygen that his lungs do not deserve. "Glofk... klukk!" He vomits more blood as the wound in his throat forces itself closed. He drops to his knees, breathing in copper-scented air. "Where the -koff!- hell am I?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 10:56 PM
Lyrak sighs. Eva, I think it would be best if you went to sleep. His eyes glow bright green on the last word, and he presses on her mind, trying to psychically induce her to sleep.

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 11:00 PM
Eva collapses on the floor.

Vahlziir looks down at Jacky in a bit of disgust.
"You are in my manor, on a small world known as Netu. Get up."

Sophistemon
2007-01-12, 11:03 PM
"What -koff! koff!- the hell is going on, old man?" He struggles to his feet. "And what in the hell's Needoo?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 11:04 PM
Lyrak turns to Gaheris. She's no threat, and we don't have to worry about her now. Let's go. They rejoin Kosuke on the landing, and from there continue to the next floor down.

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 11:08 PM
"You're not the one who gets to ask the questions here! I just pulled you across time and space and snatched you from the burning hells- I'll tell you what I damned well want to tell you!
Vahlziir's eyes blaze crimson, and his presence suddenly starts to become overwhelmingly powerful and intimidating.

Lyrak and company reach the bottom floor, which is an elegant entryway. There are two doors to either side, and one leading outside.

Sophistemon
2007-01-12, 11:11 PM
The man shrinks back, obviously intimidated. "Jesus! How'd you do that, with the -koff!- eyes? And whaddaya mean you pulled me across time and space?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 11:12 PM
Kosuke opens the door on the right while Gaheris and Lyrak wait to see what's inside it.

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 11:17 PM
"You died, and I have brought you back with such spells as would torment the uninitiated and bring fear into every dream, warp every memory, and even shatter their sanity. You are in no position to question me or my authority, and as such, you will give me the respect I deserve from a weak fool like you."
Vahlzliir shoots a steely hand out to grab Jacky by the collar.

Sophistemon
2007-01-12, 11:19 PM
"Hey, man, what the- get offa me! Fine, no more questions! Lemme go!"

In his mind, though, there are thousands of questions. Such as, if he died, how is he breathing?

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 11:22 PM
It appears to be another wing of the mansion, complete with its own set of doors.

Vahlziir shoves Jacky back and shakes his head at him, turning his back on him.
"I expect more competance from my servants. You will have to work on your skills."

Sophistemon
2007-01-12, 11:27 PM
Jacky glares at Vahlziir's back. Ain't nobody talks to him like that. Nobody. Swift and silent as a predatory cat, Jacky Knives reaches down and tugs a long, thin stiletto from his boot. He grips it blade down.

"Work on this, sucker!" The knife descends, aimed between the shoulder blades.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 11:28 PM
Lyrak sighs. Okay, let's check the doors one at a time. In fact, we shouldve done that upstairs. Kosuke, why don't you go do that? Gaheris and I will be fine.

Lyrak and Gaheris methodically open each door and check each room, while Kosuke goes back up the staircase and checks the other 5 doors in the upstairs hallway.

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 11:29 PM
The knife plunges into Vahlziir's back, and while he hisses, his blood writhes along the blade and then turns into dark energy that flows into Jacky's veins, causing intense agony as his blood begins to boil...

The rooms are nothing interesting, just guest rooms, servant's quarters, and storerooms.
The rooms upstairs include-
Vahlziir's study, Eva's Room, a large library, and what appears to be an alchemy room.

Sophistemon
2007-01-12, 11:32 PM
His grip on the knife releases instantly, and he begins to shriek. "Gyaaaah! What the f- YAAARRRGH!" He falls to the ground and writhes in pain.

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 11:38 PM
Vahlziir plucks the knife out of his back and places a hand on Jacky, leeching his life from him to heal his own back.
"One must accord me respect or pay the consquences."

Sophistemon
2007-01-12, 11:40 PM
"Just -gah!- make it... ow-ARGH! Make it stop!"

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 11:42 PM
Vahlziir lets his magic disperse slowly, and waits for Jacky to get back up.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 11:43 PM
Kosuke returns downstairs just as Gaheris and Lyrak are headng for the door on the left. Kosuke opens it, Lyrak and Gaheris waiting slightly behind the solar as before.

Sophistemon
2007-01-12, 11:43 PM
Jacky does so, slowly. "What... ow. Whaddaya want me to do?"

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 11:46 PM
Oh hey, look, its another boring manor wing.

"On another world there is a place known as the Town.
I need you to go there and be my agent of death. Kill, injure, do whatever you can to the people I tell you to attack."

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 11:50 PM
They check all the doors.

Sophistemon
2007-01-12, 11:50 PM
Jacky looks at him nervously. "You want me to off people?" He thinks of the pain he'd just suffered, and then grins widely. "Old man, that's about all I'm good at."

AmberVael
2007-01-12, 11:52 PM
Oh hey, look, more boring rooms.

"You will refer to me as either 'master' or Lord Vahlziir. I am well aware of your... lacking talents."

Sophistemon
2007-01-12, 11:58 PM
Anger. A brief flash of hurried rage. People died when he felt like this. They died bloodily and badly. It was a shame, then, that he had been rendered so impotent. "Yes, Lord Vahlzeer." He feles like dirt, like dog crap mashed into the bottom of a boot. "Why me, then? Why'd ya bring me back from the... why bring me back, if I ain't what you wanted?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 11:58 PM
Lyrak grumbles. Alright, back to the room we came out in.

They return to Vahlziir's study.

Kosuke, see if you can break down that wall behind his desk.

I'll do my best, Kosuke answers, and aims a mighty blow with his greatsword at the wall.

AmberVael
2007-01-13, 12:03 AM
The wood splinters and creaks, but Kosuke has a hard time progressing. He hits a layer of lead.

Vahlziir shakes his head. "You are what I wanted. Focused on killing, no respect for the puny lives of others..."
He traces path in the air, and a shimmering portal opens.

Sophistemon
2007-01-13, 12:06 AM
"But... I can't! I couldn't even kill you, and you're old!"

He looks nervously at the portal. "What the hell is that?"

AmberVael
2007-01-13, 12:07 AM
"Yes, I AM old. Hundreds upon hundreds of years... I could crush a puny soul like you in an instant... so do what I tell you to do. Go through this."
Vahlziir waves his hand at the portal.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-13, 12:09 AM
Kosuke grimaces and pulls back his blade. I think your abilities would be better suited to this than mine, Lyrak.

Lyrak nods. You're right. It's just I've been trying to conserve my efforts... He trails off as he concentrates, and his eyes glow bright green. A green ray springs from his pointing finger toward the wall and strikes it.

Sophistemon
2007-01-13, 12:09 AM
Jacky nods and, swallowing loudly, steps through the portal.

AmberVael
2007-01-13, 12:12 AM
The wall crumbles, revealing a narrow hallway behind it.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-13, 12:16 AM
Kosuke shrinks down somewhat and starts down the narrow hallway, Lyrak behind him, with Gaheris bringing up the rear.

AmberVael
2007-01-13, 12:19 AM
Vahlziir hears people coming and smirks, then vanishes.
At the end of the hallway there is a door.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-13, 12:21 AM
Kosuke opens the door.

AmberVael
2007-01-13, 12:22 AM
They find the entirely dark, blood enscribed, and blood spattered summoning chamber.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-13, 12:30 AM
Gaheris mutters about evildoers and demons and blood summoning circles, while Kosuke searches the room for anything that might be of interest, his greatsword shedding light like a torch. Lyrak walks slowly to the center of the room, his eyes glowing again.

AmberVael
2007-01-13, 12:32 AM
There is blood.
Lots of blood. Some of it has been shaped into runes, and there is a lingering sense of great taint and evil here. It claws at the souls of everyone present.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-13, 12:45 AM
Lyrak shudders, though the silk of his sash protects him from the worst of the effects.

Kosuke and Gaheris seem to be in almost physical pain, though not a debilitating amount.

Lyrak comes to a decision. Let's go. He was here, and he summoned... something. It looked like a man. There was a slight scuffle, and then he sent whatever it was to Town. Let's take Eva, go down to the first floor, and set fire to the building. Whatever resources he might have here, I intend to deny him. He leads the way out, back to the study.

Kosuke picks up Eva's sleeping form as they pass her room.

Lyrak pauses at the library long enough to fill the room with a fire storm spell. He waits to ensure that the contents of the library have been successfully ignited.

AmberVael
2007-01-13, 12:47 AM
The library goes up in flames in a flash, and then begins to quickly spread.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-13, 12:53 AM
They hurry downstairs. Lyrak uses a fire storm on each wing, then creates a gate to Town. Kosuke goes through it without delay.

AmberVael
2007-01-13, 12:56 AM
The house quickly goes up in flames, and the people in the town gather to watch and stare, while others start for a rescue attempt.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-13, 01:12 AM
Gaheris covered the rear as he entered the portal. At least that foul summoning chamber wouldn't be used again...

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-13, 01:13 AM
Lyrak follows Gaheris through the portal, and the gateway disappears.

AmberVael
2007-04-11, 09:50 PM
The mansion has long since been rebuilt, and is back in its old state.
Vahlziir and Mneme appear in Vahlziir's study, and he takes a seat.
Please, sit down.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-11, 09:52 PM
Mneme takes a seat obediently, sitting on the edge of the chair a bit. She's still shaking from the stress and the running, not to mention the last she saw of Jack/John.

AmberVael
2007-04-11, 09:54 PM
Vahlziir sighs.
Its not been an easy thing, this situation with Jack. Or Jacky, as he was when I first rescued him from his horrific fate.
Things only seem to be getting more complicated.
He looks at her.
Can I get you anything? Wine perhaps? I only have simple fare around here, but I'm sure I could find something.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-11, 10:00 PM
"N-no, thank you," she whispers, "Forgive me, I am just so tired..." Mneme does look it, certainly.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-11, 10:04 PM
((*gasp!*))

AmberVael
2007-04-11, 10:05 PM
Very well. I'll let you rest.
We have a little time, I'm sure. Enough for that.
He stands and rings a small bell, and a bland looking man in a formal suit comes in. He looks stiff, as if someone had starched him.
Yes m'lord?
Find the lady a room of her liking. You are at her disposal during her stay.
As it pleases you, m'lord.
He bows and then turns to Mneme.
If m'lady would follow me...
He walks to the door.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-11, 10:08 PM
Mneme stands and follows, still wondering what is going on precisely, but she is truly too frazzled to think it through. "Any room is fine... just a place to rest." Wherever he leads her, she settles herself on the bed immediately with a short but heartfelt "Thank you" before becoming absorbed in her strangely deep sleep.

((And that ends my part for today. Goodnight.))

AmberVael
2007-04-11, 10:10 PM
((Good night))

Nevrmore
2007-04-11, 10:11 PM
((Geez, Ms. E., out of the grip of one possibly evil, deceitful mastermind and right into another.))

AmberVael
2007-04-11, 10:14 PM
((Yeah, except Vahlziir doesn't come with "possibly" in the title))

Nevrmore
2007-04-11, 10:16 PM
((Out of curiosity, does "Vahlziir" mean something? Like, in a different language?))

AmberVael
2007-04-11, 10:19 PM
((Nope. Purely made up by me))

Nevrmore
2007-04-11, 10:19 PM
((I see. Because that's what I do for most of my characters, and Vahlziir seems like it would mean something.))

AmberVael
2007-04-11, 10:21 PM
((I do that sometimes, but I also make a number of names up))

Nevrmore
2007-04-11, 10:23 PM
((Yeah, and the characters whose names don't directly translate to something in a different language are all references to something that is related to them. So, yeah. I'm awesome that way.))

NecroPaladin
2007-04-12, 12:10 AM
((I totally do what Nevrmore does. KNAVES ranks are in Spanish, and, more recently, a "Revenant" is a mythical creature; a corpse that returns from the grave to perform a task.))

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 07:55 AM
((Aesa is a norse name which can mean inciting war, or madness.

Verdandi's name is debatable, but one place told it could be translated as "neccessity." Long story on how that fits.

Fenix is rather obvious.

Fenix's mirror self, Maal, is pretty much the opposite of Fenix. His name refers to a water living creature that drowns people.

"Svala" means swallow or bird- can't remember. Its... fitting of her personality.

So yeah, I do stuff like that too))

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 08:22 AM
((Three of mine are named for something. Alchys (the Ash Demon) is the only one I've made up entirely. Tabitha is just a name I'm fond of. Evander means "good man." Vedran means "jovial." Mneme means "memory."))

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 08:24 AM
((I think Verdandi's name is my favorite. Because when she shortens it to "Vera" it changes meanings, and yet still fits her perfectly. :smallsmile:))

Exachix
2007-04-12, 08:26 AM
((Exachix may mean something. But only to me.
Prolari and Zephyr I've explained enough times =)
and Solari.
Lorrian I made up, sort of.
Same with Karaki and Karsen.

Wait... I'm not meant to even be here *poof*))

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 08:39 AM
Mneme continues to sleep soundly, dreamlessly in fact. Pure exhaustion has a tendency to induce that. The leaves in her hair flick on occasion, although they are starting to look less wilted and a little more vibrant.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 08:46 AM
Vahlziir, in his study, is thinking over just what he wants to do.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 08:50 AM
When the leaves are finally at normal colour, they flick simultaneously, as though signifying she should be finished with sleeping. With that, her eyes flutter open. Mneme sits up and looks around, doing a brief recall of where she is.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 08:52 AM
Mneme finds herself in a small but comfortable room. It is well furnished and seems quite a pleasant little place.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 08:54 AM
Her hair shifts back into normal position, although, she'd barely moved all night while she slept. Mneme takes care to make sure the bed is in place when she gets up, smoothing it out a little, since she hadn't actually taken the time to get into the covers.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 08:57 AM
Vahlziir frowns and begins looking over a tome in his library.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 09:06 AM
Her mind is much clearer for having rested, although she's not entirely worry free, understandably. Quietly she walks out of the room, pushing any important thoughts to the side for now, just wondering where the two men she met last night were. (Vahlziir and the butler... fellow...)

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 09:12 AM
The butler is right outside the door, standing to one side.
Good morning, m'lady. How might I serve?

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 09:19 AM
The leaves flick back in mild surprise, not having expected him to be standing right there. She recovers herself quickly though, "Pardon, but where are we?"

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 09:22 AM
Darkheld Mansion in the town of Greenfield.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 09:25 AM
Having heard of neither of those places, she decides to let it go. "Ah, thank you." Mneme stands there a bit awkwardly, at a loss of what to say or do next. Having a butler was not something she was prepared for.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 09:26 AM
The man waits, obviously prepared to stand idle for as long as he might need to.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 09:29 AM
Mneme ponders over the man in their silence before asking, "Do you have a name I may call you?"

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 09:31 AM
My name...
The man almost looks like he is trying to remember it.
My name is Donren.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 09:34 AM
"Thank you, Donren," she says, bowing her head gratefully, forgetting that perhaps she might introduce herself to him, "What do I call the other man? Can you take me to him or is he busy?"

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 09:35 AM
Lord Vahlziir is awaiting your presence, m'lady.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 09:39 AM
Her blood(?) runs cold at the name. Mneme can remember both Jack and Lues warning her against him. Particularly Jack. She takes a single step back, hoping she misheard him, though it seems to be a fairly unmishearable name, "I... excuse me?"

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 09:39 AM
Is there something wrong, m'lady?
He seems genuinely concerned.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 02:45 PM
Mneme can remember what Lues said about Vahlziir, how he would try to charm her, persuade her. She can also remember the look in Jack's face when she mentioned him. Had they deceived her or had Vahlziir? She looks up at Donren and nods, "No, it is fine. I thought I had perhaps misheard you. I will follow you, then?"

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 03:16 PM
If m'lady is ready to meet Lord Vahlziir now, I will show you to him.
The man smiles politely and pleasantly, even if he seems a bit generic and boring.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 03:20 PM
"Please, thank you," she smiles back, but on the inside she's wondering if he has an aim, as well. As for Vahlziir, she determines to pretend nothing is wrong and, if all goes well, nothing will be.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 03:24 PM
The generic butler leads her to the study and opens the door for her.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 03:25 PM
"Thank you," she says to Donren, bowing her head gratefully momentarily before stepping inside the study.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 03:27 PM
Donren gently shuts the door.

The study is dark, but not in a foreboding and dangerous sort of way. Its more comforting than it should be, in fact.
Vahlziir is at his desk, a small glowing rock hanging in the air next to him as he pores over a thick, dusty book.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 03:31 PM
Mneme walks a bit closer, halfway distracted by the rock as much as the man. Then her attention turns to the room. Books... Jack loves reading. She turns to Vahlziir, "I am sorry if I am disturbing you."

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 03:34 PM
Oh no, its perfectly fine. I was waiting for you to come when I picked this up, and now I can't seem to put it down.
He gives a small laugh, then looks up at her.
So lets see, where had we gotten to yesterday... or rather, where do you want to start?

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 03:37 PM
Mneme bows her head respectfully, sort of a mannerism she's well adapted to, "I apologize that I was unable to speak with you yesterday. As for where to begin, I am not sure what it is exactly you wish to talk about."

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 03:40 PM
Its not your fault you were tired. We all have to rest sometime.
He gives a comforting smile, then sighs.
Its Jacky that has me concerned. I have no idea what is going on with him, and every time I try and learn, those strange people in the church interfere. They've obviously poisoned Jacky against me as well, and that is hardly a good sign.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 03:44 PM
"Why would you be concerned about Jacky? Jacky is... cruel... not the same as Jack..." she says slowly, remembering it all, "Jack would never attempt to harm me, or Father Lues." Vahlziir may notice she is still standing.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 03:48 PM
Vahlziir just looks confused.
I'm afraid I don't quite understand. Aren't they just different names for the same person?
Please, take a seat.
He gestures to the chair in front of him.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 03:52 PM
Mneme nods and sits remarkably straight-backed with good posture. "No, not at all. Jacky kept saying something. Something about "the other me" and "him in the back of my head." That part was Jack. Jacky took over, I am positive."

Sophistemon
2007-04-12, 03:55 PM
((Vahlziir summoned Jacky, a killer who developed a conscience. That conscience became Jack, who took over the body until Jacky's reemergence in the Church.))

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 03:57 PM
((I'm well aware of this. Vahlziir, however, is not))

Vahlziir frowns.
He has a split personality then?

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 03:59 PM
Mneme nods, "As far as I can understand. He did not want to talk about it much, perhaps understandably." She sets her hands in her lap after she smoothes out her dress a bit.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 04:01 PM
That could explain much of my difficulty...
He brushes back his whitened hair looks down at his desk with his crimson eyes.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 04:02 PM
"Difficulty?" The leaves in her hair align of their own accord as she leans a little closer.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 04:06 PM
I've been trying to help him back to normal, ever since I summoned here and away from his dreadful attempt- or, rather, disgusting success- at suicide. But if he has a split personality, then my magic may only be affecting half of his mind.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 04:07 PM
"Why did he... try to kill himself? If he succeeded, why is he no longer dead?"

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 04:08 PM
Vahlziir shakes his head.
I don't know.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 04:12 PM
"If you do not know so much about him, why do you want to help him?" Mneme bites her lip. This just doesn't make sense.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 04:23 PM
Well...
Vahlziir sighs.
Honestly, at first he was simply an experiment of mine. I wanted to see if I could keep someone alive via a method I had thought of. Very tricky and clever little idea it was.
So I selected someone at random who best fit the requirements, and I tried it out.
Vahlziir gives a small smile.
It worked perfectly. Not only is Jack alive, but he has many, many years left. More than he ever normally would have.
You see, I displaced him in time. He won't die until he reaches the day he commits suicide- which is hundreds of years from now.
He shakes his head.
It was only after I did this that I began to learn about Jack. I mean- all I knew is that I pulled him from his life and attempted suicide to this place and time. I had no goal for him. I just... brought him here.
Obviously since he had attempted to kill himself- and succeeded- he had some sort of problem. Out of guilt for my actions I tried to help him along, and I hired him to help me in my buisness with the Town while also supplying him with a purpose and money to live on.
They're a nasty bunch, that lot in Town. I've only met a few people you can actually trust there.
And Jack, of course, got caught up with them. I don't know what they did to him at that church, but its changing him in.

Sophistemon
2007-04-12, 04:23 PM
((Less than half his mind, now. Only the Jacky person is under Vahlziir's control.))

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 04:28 PM
"Perhaps there is a misunderstanding," she says, shaking her head, "The people there have been nothing but kind to Jack and I." Mneme shakes her head again, "And what experiment?"

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 04:38 PM
((Yeah, but now that he knows... and he still has Jack/Jacky/John's entire soul, which should count for something))
I wanted to see if I could displace him in time, like a described. I basically rewound him in time. He is going to kill himself like he tried to do, but he can't die before he does that.
Which won't be for many years.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 04:42 PM
Mneme bites her lip harder, unsettled by the fact that he will try to kill himself, even if it is many many years in the future. Almost under her breath she says, "There must be a way to stop him from..."

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 04:44 PM
And maybe there is. I don't know.
But there is a long time before that. A very long time.
As of the moment, Jack, or Jacky, is in the clutches of that church, and I want to know what they are doing. I want to save him from that.

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 04:47 PM
((Not if Aharon has anything to say about it))

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 04:49 PM
"I do not know of anything that the church is doing that would be reprehensible. As I said, Father Lues and the acolytes have been more than kind to us both," Mneme says, not sure what to think exactly, but decides not to make a decision until she knows more.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 04:49 PM
((Ah yes. Aharon doesn't want him to be saved from the people who try repeatedly to blow up his soul, hm?))

"Father Lues" has tried to destroy Jack's soul twice.
I should think that is a reprehensible act.
Vahlziir looks angry at the thought.

Nevrmore
2007-04-12, 04:52 PM
((Moral ambiguity, Vael! MORAL AMBIGUITY!))

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 04:52 PM
((Aharon trusts Lues.. not the one who tries to turn Jack into Jacky...))

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 04:55 PM
((Moral ambiguity, Vael! MORAL AMBIGUITY!))
((Yes, because growing exploding plants in people's necks and destroying souls is DEFINITELY morally ambigious))

((Aharon trusts Lues.. not the one who tries to turn Jack into Jacky...))
((Yeah, but he shouldn't trust either of them is the point))

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 04:55 PM
((The soul isn't detroyed entirely, but rebuilt! Better! "I'll get you a soul." *look* "A better one." "That one." "Yes, that one...that one?!"

"Jack was... Jack was fine until yesterday. After he told me that..." Mneme recalls the discussion they'd had yesterday. The leaves flick downwards in a rather sad-looking position.

Nevrmore
2007-04-12, 04:57 PM
((THere may or may not be an explanation for the exploding plant-neck thing.

And Lues only destroys souls of bad people. And people who question him too much. And girls who rejected him in high school.))

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 04:59 PM
He's fine because I've been protecting him! Without me, he'd be someone else, some creation of that vile priest.
Vahlziir sighs and pulls his staff into his hand, looking up at the crystal.
He's fine because they haven't been destroying his soul. They don't have it.

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 05:02 PM
((Aharon was tricked by Lues because he found out the evil plot to early. If he ever figures out that Lues is evil again, he is going to try and kill him.. its just that right now he has his sights set on Vahlziir.))

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 05:04 PM
"That is his... you have his soul?" Mneme starts to remember that he mentioned it yesterday, when Vahlziir called to her. "Yes, you said something about that yesterday..." She starts to remember the other things he said as well, "Why did you call for me? Why did I have to leave then?"

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 05:09 PM
Vahlziir nods, looking down.
I had to do it as part of the spell that saved him and keeps him alive.
I had to bring you here before they realized I was doing something. I called you because I thought, and still think, that you care and could help me.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 05:13 PM
"What is it that you believe I can do to help?" Mneme asks, not even bothering to affirm the fact that she does care. It should be utterly obvious.

(Intermission for Dinner)

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 05:18 PM
I think we need to get Jack away from that church, to start with. They've tried to hurt him, and me, far too many times.
They've convinced him that I am some kind of monster as well. We need to relieve him of that notion.

Nevrmore
2007-04-12, 05:26 PM
((How strong is the protection against scrying in the mansion, if there is any?))

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 05:28 PM
"When you met me in the streets, why did you not take him with us then? I could see him... he wanted me to wait," Mneme says, the leaves drooping a little lower, remembering the look on John's face.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 05:32 PM
((Nonexistant. But you can't scry on Vahlziir himself))

I was pressed for time. Besides, you saw him. We would have had to force him to come.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 05:34 PM
Mneme bites her lip, by this point it should be fairly obvious she is mistrustful of the whole situation, "What do you propose that we do, then?"

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 05:38 PM
Vahlziir sighs.
At the moment, all I have in mind is getting him away from that church. We don't want them manipulating and assaulting him.
He trusts you. You could persuade him, couldn't you?

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 05:44 PM
"I... I do not know how I would do this," she says, stuttering a little. The idea puts her ill at ease. "Besides, he has already seen me with you. Surely he would know?"

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 05:46 PM
He might, but we have to try, don't we?
Vahlziir gives her a sad smile.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 05:49 PM
"I suppose so," she says, standing up and walking over to Jack/Jacky/John's soul. Mneme puts out a hand to touch it.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 05:52 PM
The yellow gem seems to simply be that- a yellow gem. Its cool beneath her touch, and well shaped.
Vahlziir watches her, not trying or wanting to stop her.
He'll be safe for now. But they may figure it out eventually.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 05:54 PM
Mneme looks up, "Figure out what? Why would he not be safe with them? If they want something from him, they will not hurt him, will they?" Her hand covers the gem entirely as she tries to feel the soul in it.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 05:57 PM
They've tried to destroy his soul! If they had succeeded, Jack wouldn't even exist as a person anymore.
Vahlziir looks both angry and sad.
They're trying to hurt him in the most permanent way possible. I don't really know why, but I don't want to let Jack find out from experience.

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 06:00 PM
((Is the mansion shielded against elemental travel? Its not exactly teleportation... its movement using the elements. Its like flinging the travelers to an elemental plane and then flinging them back.))

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 06:01 PM
"Then what do you want me to do, precisely? Where do I go from here?" Mneme still has her face tilted to the gem in her hand, but she glances at Vahlziir from the corners of her eyes.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 06:06 PM
((Its an absolutely mundane mansion. It has a few normal hidey holes and such, but nothing else))

You go back to Town. Find some way to get Jack away from those strange people at the church, then...
I guess we'll try to help him get back to normal.
The gem still feels entirely normal, and Vahlziir is watching her, but nothing more.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 06:08 PM
"Then I shall try," she says simply. Mneme takes her hand from the staff and begins to move out towards the door.

(By the by, how close is he watching her?)

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 06:11 PM
((Closely, but not unnervingly so. Its like- say you were holding a delicate, valuable piece of china or something.
Which is rather apt in this scenario))

Vahlziir smiles a little.
You won't get there by walking. Unless you can use interplanatary travel.

Sophistemon
2007-04-12, 06:11 PM
((I think we're about to teleport to the mansion from the Church.))

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 06:15 PM
((Oh good. He won't notice that the crystal is missing for a couple seconds then. Perhaps long enough... :smallamused:))

Mneme abruptly stops and turns around. "Ah... then would you mind teleporting me back then?" Inside she is very nervous, hoping he won't realize that the gem is absent from the table, but she's getting better at keeping her inner thoughts underwraps. She has no intentions of bringing Jack to Vahlziir. Nor does she have any intentions of taking the gem to Lues. But she hopes she can figure out something, having the soul with her.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 06:18 PM
((Uh... the gem is kinda stuck in his staff.
See? The yellow gem in his staff?
Yeah, thats where Jack's soul is))

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 06:23 PM
((Snap, that was such a clever move too... *sigh* give me a moment... Are you sure she couldn't have slipped it out very carefully by bending the edges of the staff open? Especially if it is made of wood... she does have some power over plant-life and plant-exlife... Is it made of some form of wood? Also, he can notice before he teleports her and try to take it from her.))

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 06:24 PM
((Yeah, its made out of wood- I think, I may have called it metal at one point- but I really do think he is going to notice since he is holding the staff in his hand and staring right at you and the crystal))

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 06:27 PM
((I thought it was floating in the air a bit earlier... must have misunderstood an earlier post. I also assume that he is looking more at her eyes and expression than her hands at this point... even for just a second? She's trying so hard.))

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 06:30 PM
((No, that was an ioun stone he had cast light on.
And the staff would be at about eye level for Mneme, so he can watch her face and the gem at the same time, unless she is standing awkwardly far away from it.
Seriously, I'm not making this up to thwart you, this is the way I've been picturing it. Vahlziir doesn't want to lose it either))

Nevrmore
2007-04-12, 06:31 PM

Suddenly, a fruit bat flies in and lands on Vahlziir's head! What a zany and convenient distraction!

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 06:32 PM
((Rats. Well, lets just assume she got desperate and tried it. Not knowing that he was looking. He can go ahead and react to it as he would. If that's a-ok with you.

^Or that a mysterious fruitbat randomly decided to distract him. Although, a moth or something would have been more believable.))

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 06:40 PM
((Fruitbat indeed!))
The fruit bat is conveniently tackled by Vahlziir's black cat before it can get to him.

Vahlziir sighs and moves his staff out of the way as Mneme tries to take the gem.
Look, I know you don't trust me.
He touches the gem and closes his eyes, muttering something under his breath.
A smaller gem forms under his fingertips, the same color, but smooth and thin.
Here.
He holds the small gem out to her.
I'd give you my crystal, but its part of my staff and has other things in it than Jack's soul.
Thats all you wanted, wasn't it?
He watches her calmly.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 06:42 PM
"Is this truly his soul in the gem?" she asks, her face a bit red from embarassment at her failed attempt. Mneme takes the gem.

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 06:43 PM
A burst of wind picks up in the hallway outside the room where Vahlziir and Mneme are. The wind spins around like a twister, blocking the view from one side of the hall to the other. The spinning wind seems to reach an abrupt climax, and quickly decelerates, but not before dropping off five very dizzy passengers.

Aharon scrambles to his feet. I can't believe I did that. I can't believe that worked.

((The noise of the winds would be highly audible throughout the mansion.))

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 06:44 PM
Yes. I don't know a way to prove it to you, as you could just accuse all my magic as trickery, but I assure you that it is real.

Vahlziir's butler, Donren, looks at the five in confusion. He has apparently been waiting outside of the study.
May I help you?

Nevrmore
2007-04-12, 06:45 PM
"Quite." Lues says, not in the least bit dizzy.

"Whoa....I'm gonna need a minute..." Kakos says, leaning against the wall to catch his bearings.

Sophistemon
2007-04-12, 06:46 PM
John staggers to his feet. "I prefer portals."

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 06:46 PM
Which way do you think they are? Aharon asks looking up and and down the hallway.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 06:47 PM
Mneme takes the gem and clenches it tightly in her hand. She looks up into Vahlziir's eyes, trying to distinguish if he is lying or not, although, she knows it probably won't help.

Nevrmore
2007-04-12, 06:47 PM
"The room we couldn't go into when we were scrying the mansion. Which would be that one." Lues points to one of the rooms.

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 06:48 PM
Aharon looks at Donren. If you want to help us, you will take us to Mneme. He is holding his knife in his hand.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 06:49 PM
((They aren't in the study, Ms. E. They are outside of it))

Vahlziir frowns as he hears the noise, then curses.
They've found me. Quickly, you have to go. His soul will be safe with you, won't it?
He gives her a worried look, then shakes his head.
I guess I'll have to hope it is.
He opens a portal to the streets of Town for her.

Donren steps back as he sees the knife.
I'm afraid I don't know who you are talking about, sir.

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 06:50 PM
Aharon senses the portal magic from the study and looks up with urgency. Yeah, then you can get the hell out of our way. He attempts to bowl past Donren and burst through the doorway into the study.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 06:52 PM
Mneme hesitates, "If they are already here, why should I go?"

Sophistemon
2007-04-12, 06:52 PM
"Listen, you worthless maggot, tell us or-" He catches himself. "Please. This is very important!" He looks at the door. "Mneme! Are you in there? Are you okay?"

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 06:53 PM
((I saw your edit, but Aharon's action remains the same, Although I changed what he said to make it make more sense.))

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 06:54 PM
Donren dives out of the way of the door, obviously scared for his life.
The darkwook door holds against his bashing.
Lues will want his soul. He'll try and destroy it once and for all. You have to find Jack alone. Whatever you do- do NOT show Lues that gem.
Not unless you want to lose Jack once and for all.
Now go!
He tries to push her through the portal.

Nevrmore
2007-04-12, 06:54 PM
Morbus and Kakos look at each other worriedly, not knowing exactly what to do.

Lues walks up to the door and puts his hand on it. His vines begin forming an archaic pattern on the wood...

((Just so you guys know, Morbus and Kakos are NPCs, so you can control them if you want. Kakos speaks in darkolivegreen and Morbus speaks in seagreen.))

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 06:56 PM
Mneme finds herself pushed through the portal, not able to get a word in otherwise. (Where does she go?)

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 06:57 PM
Aharon rebounds off the door. Damnit. He says. John, help me get through this door. He yells over his shoulder, going in for another bash.

Sophistemon
2007-04-12, 06:57 PM
"Mneme! Can you hear me? We're coming for you, just hold on!"

((Lues is trying to break it with vines.))

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 06:58 PM
((The streets, like I said earlier. :smallwink:))

The portal closes and Vahlziir narrows his eyes. He turns towards the door and begins casting defensive magic on himself.

Nevrmore
2007-04-12, 06:58 PM
As the vines complete the pattern, Lues pours out an impressive amount of magic in the attempt to obliterate the door.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-12, 06:59 PM
((^_^" Sorry, having trouble reading straight. Will work on that. *nod*))

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 06:59 PM
((Ok didn't see that.))

Aharon rebounds off the wood once again, and decides to wait for Lues to break the door down.

Sensing the defensive magic inside, Aharon lifts his knife in front of his face and casts a spell on it, causing it to erupt into a flame that will only hurt his enemies.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 07:02 PM
The door shatters, and they see Vahlziir standing calmly in the middle of his study, a humming sound filling the air.
Flickers of light glimmer softly in a sphere the covers him.
Is there something you need?
Surely you could have come in a less hostile manner?

Sophistemon
2007-04-12, 07:03 PM
John draws his knife and twirls it expertly between his fingers.

"Where is she?"

Nevrmore
2007-04-12, 07:03 PM
"Arriving in a peaceful manner would be contradictory to my reasons for being her, Vahlziir." Lues smiles softly.

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 07:05 PM
Aharon holds his flaming knife in one hand and ball of crackling energy in the other ((Desperation is a good teacher)). He looks up at Vahlziir and smiles. Give us Mneme, or your time has come.

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 07:09 PM
Mneme moves of her own free will.
Vahlziir gives a genuinely amused smile.
Well, except when I pushed her, but I think you understand the real meaning behind my words.
He looks at John.
She's safe. Unharmed. Even unchanged.
Vahlziir grins at Lues.
What? Tired of me interfering when you try and destroy Jacky's soul? Perhaps you want to do it permanently this time?

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 07:11 PM
I don't think you respect the seriousness of the situation Vahlziir. Aharon should be exuding a powerful magic aura, as he doesn't know how to hide it. He holds his left hand in front of him, the crackling energy playing across his fingers. Suddenly his fingers tense, and a bolt of lighting goes flying at Vahlziir.

Nevrmore
2007-04-12, 07:11 PM
"You would be found wanting if you were going to criticize anyone, especially me, of evil deeds, Vahlziir. You have blackened Jack's soul with the taint of evil more than once. The only safe method of remedy for such a twisted and warped spirit was removal." Lues takes a step forward. "The only safe method of remedy for such a twisted and warped spirit is removal." He repeats, this time clearly calling Vahlziir the twisted and warped spirit.

Sophistemon
2007-04-12, 07:14 PM
"Calm, guys. Calm." He looks Vahlziir in the eyes. "Where is she? What did you tell her?"

AmberVael
2007-04-12, 07:20 PM
The lightning streaks towards Vahlziir and then is silently eaten by his magical shield without a fuss.
He glares at Aharon.
I don't think you even understand what is going on! Keep your peace and maybe you'll learn what you're doing!
He looks at Lues.
As for you.
You foul, twisted corrupter and deciever.
All I've done is try and get Jack away from you. And you've twisted his memories and his mind so far that he can't understand what is going on and who is the real danger. I did nothing to him but try and rescue him. And from what?
Shattering his soul!
Even if I DID taint it, which I did not, taint can be cured and removed.
But a shattered soul can never be repaired. The person will never be again.
He looks at John.
I told her the truth about Lues, and about what you are.
She should be safe, and I am keeping her hostage in no way.

Nevrmore
2007-04-12, 07:22 PM
"Do you think yourself big, Vahlziir, hiding behind your veil of proposed purity and striking donw others with your black tongue when they try and interfere with you?" He takes another step towards the deceitful wizard, his vines slithering from his cloak, "Allow me then to snip out that tongue and we will see what you've to say, then."

The Geomancer
2007-04-12, 07:23 PM
Aharon is awestruck by the fact that his magics where deflected so easily. I need to be stronger. he says to himself. He straightens up and looks at the others, especially Lues because the bit about destroyed souls was news to him. If she is safe, then where is she? Why did you send her away as we arrived. She is in no danger from any of us. He doesn't seem quite as sure anymore.

Sophistemon
2007-04-12, 07:24 PM
John looks at Vahlziir. "You told her, then, that you brought me here as an assassin?" He is suddenly struck by the fact that if she knew, she'd never want to see him again.