PDA

View Full Version : [PF/3.5] Clicky, not the hero they asked for, but the Thri-Kreen they deserved.

Rasman
2013-11-21, 08:48 AM
There are only a few characters that I really, REALLY, enjoy playing. Over the years I have come to love my Druid, mostly because he is very much a lot like me if I were trying to save the world, but there is one character that everyone who has ever gotten the brief chance to interact with him has always told me was my best roleplay ever.

That was a Thri-kreen named Clicky. His actual name wasn't Clicky, I believe it was something like "Chor'rack," but it was the name that the party in the Spelljammer game he was in gave him since he only spoke Thri-kreen and no one in the party could speak Thri-kreen, (he understood common, but could not speak, write or read it).

Clicky was fairly deep for a one dimensional character. He was a combat brute, but he also loved cats and cooking. The rakshasa assassin in the party never figured out where the salt and other spices came from, nor why he always watched over her while she slept. She was pretty sure, in and out of game, that they were simply the 'best of friends' because he drew a picture of a heart and a cat while talking to her, drawing was how he 'spoke' since no one could tell what he was saying.

However, I digress. I have decided that I want to build Clicky for the 3.5/PF systems in order to honor his memory, one also never knows when I'll get to dust him off in a game that one of the members of that party may run.

So far, I know that I will use the non-psionic version of Thri-kreen from Savage Species, so a +1 LA. After that, a level of Spirit Totem Barbarian from Complete Champion for Pounce just makes sense, then the remaining 18 levels will SIMPLY be the Savage Warrior Fighter Archtype from the Advanced Players Guide. I know, Fighters aren't strong in comparison to other classes, but Clicky doesn't cast spells of any kind, nor does he have any desire to, he simply rends and tears flesh with his bare hands and MAYBE a pair of Dire Flails and a Pair of Battle Axes.

Deflect Arrows Racial Feat
Thri-Kreen Feat:
Level 1:
Level 3: Fighter 3:
Fighter 4:
Level 5:
Fighter 6:
Level 7:
Fighter 8:
Level 9:
Fighter 10:
Level 11:
Fighter 12:
Level 13:
Fighter 14:
Level 15:
Fighter 16:
Level 17:
Fighter 18:
Level 19:

That's 21 Feats over 20 levels.

So far, feat wise, I've found Battle Jumper, Imp Bull Rush, Shock Trooper, Jumper, Imp Nat Attack, Eldritch Claws, Imp Nat Armor, Multiweapon Fighting, Travel Devotion, Strength Devotion, Luck Devotion, Fire Devotion, Destruction Devotion, Measured Response, Friendly Switch, Imp Unarmed Strike, Feral Combat Training, Weapon Focus (Claw), Bleeding Attack, Imp Grapple, Greater Grapple, Chokehold, Intimidating Prowess, Death From Above, Pinning Rend, Power Attack, Rapid Grappler, Imp Sunder, Greater Sunder, and Sundering Strike as feats that I like.

Where to begin is the hard part and I'd more than love some insight into making him a, mostly, natural attack monster. For now, because I'm out of my mind tired, I'll let this simmer as you read it so I can get some insight before I start piecing him together.

Gavran
2013-11-21, 08:55 AM
You missed the 3.5 forum by that much. If you report your post asking a moderator to move it they will do so, and you will be swarmed by helpful people.

Particle_Man
2013-11-21, 09:02 PM
Magic of Incarnum has the Totemist, which might help with the whole Savage Natural Attacking warrior schtick.

Rasman
2013-11-22, 01:40 AM
You missed the 3.5 forum by that much. If you report your post asking a moderator to move it they will do so, and you will be swarmed by helpful people.

Umm...it is in the D&D 3e/3.5e/d20 forum...

Magic of Incarnum has the Totemist, which might help with the whole Savage Natural Attacking warrior schtick.

I am not sure how I feel about the Totemist, it gets suggested a lot when I mention Clicky, but I'm not sure I actually like the concept for him.

Snowbluff
2013-11-22, 01:50 AM
Clicky is a perfect name. Make that his name. :smallbiggrin:

Try the Dire Flail Smash feat.

Red Rubber Band
2013-11-22, 02:21 AM
Even though you've already mentioned your feelings on this topic:

I second this.
You could fluff that the soulmelds you shape each day create a small pile of a particular herb/spice :smalltongue:
The only problem is the shadowy/real enhancements that spring from your creature once you imbue essentia into the chakras :smalleek:
Or do they turn real/quasi real when shaped >.>
Or only take a few levels in the Totemist, then the rest into Fighter? Or... MOAR DIPS! MUNK! AND PALALADIN! AND... erm... something else...

Rasman
2013-11-22, 04:25 AM
Clicky is a perfect name. Make that his name. :smallbiggrin:

Try the Dire Flail Smash feat.

Clicky will always be his 'name', but he had a Thri-kreen name before he was dubbed Clicky.

Dire Flail Smash feat? I'll have to look that one up!

Even though you've already mentioned your feelings on this topic:

I second this.
You could fluff that the soulmelds you shape each day create a small pile of a particular herb/spice :smalltongue:
The only problem is the shadowy/real enhancements that spring from your creature once you imbue essentia into the chakras :smalleek:
Or do they turn real/quasi real when shaped >.>
Or only take a few levels in the Totemist, then the rest into Fighter? Or... MOAR DIPS! MUNK! AND PALALADIN! AND... erm... something else...

lol, those might be the best Soulmelds EVER.

At one time I actually thought about Monk...but he's a bit Chaotic...he could never be a Paladin...although a long lost brother that IS a Paladin would be HILARIOUS!

...I can see it now...a Paladin Archer...with two bows...oh god...that would be scary as hell...

back to topic, what exactly would I do with the soulmelds anyway? While I know a little about the topic, I've never been particularly fond of the books they are in, so I've never looked at them extensively.

Particle_Man
2013-11-22, 07:05 PM
This might help.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2943

Rasman
2013-11-23, 02:54 AM
This might help.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2943

hmm...you are quite useful...I shall keep you in my closet and name you "Not Clicky"

So, are you suggesting that I strictly go Totemist in place of fighter levels?

WhamBamSam
2013-11-23, 06:50 AM
A Tiger Claw focused Swordsage or Warblade might also fit, and can be pretty awesome for a Thri-Kreen. RHD count as 1/2 initiator level, so with LA buyoff you'd only be one level behind in terms of maneuver progression.

Swordsage would give some Wis synergy, and with the Shadow Blade feat you can get Dex to damage with Shadow Hand weapons along with Str. Get yourself four regular Short Swords and a Mouthpick* Spiked Chain and go to town. With a racial +30 to Jump checks (actually +34 since you also have a 40ft speed) you'll make the checks for your Tiger Claw maneuvers trivially, and with Insightful Strikes (Tiger Claw), along with Shadow Blade and Multiweapon Fighting feats, you'll be able to wipe pretty much anyone off the map with a Pouncing Charge whenever you feel like it (you add Str, Dex, and Wis to damage, Power Attack/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper can make it even better).

Warblade doesn't have as much Wis or Dex synergy, but having the Iron Heart discipline means you can grab Stormguard Warrior, which you will enjoy with all the attacks you get to make.

*Mouthpick is a weapon property found in Lords of Madness which allows the weapon to be wielded in place of a natural bite attack, and automatically grants its wielder proficiency. Note that the phrase "Mouthpick Spiked Chain" may result in books being thrown at your head, depending on the table, and you might have to special order it at your local weapon shop, rather than just walk in off the street and buy one.

Particle_Man
2013-11-23, 10:34 AM
hmm...you are quite useful...I shall keep you in my closet and name you "Not Clicky"

So, are you suggesting that I strictly go Totemist in place of fighter levels?

Its a possibility, anyhow. Heck, you could have a "clicky clan" and make various iterations using various ideas on this thread. :smallbiggrin:

Red Rubber Band
2013-11-24, 07:56 PM
lol, those might be the best Soulmelds EVER.

Just wanting to clarify, I meant as a result of binding/shaping soulmelds, spice appears. Kinda like a physical manifestation of what you've done.

back to topic, what exactly would I do with the soulmelds anyway? While I know a little about the topic, I've never been particularly fond of the books they are in, so I've never looked at them extensively.

I found this useful for understanding soulmelds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287304), and helping with starting My First Totemist TM... I don't know how to superscript :smallfrown: