PDA

View Full Version : Bad but compelling games

Silly_Bean
2007-01-11, 05:56 PM
Anyone else played a game like this? I'm not on about bad-but-good games. I'm on about bad games which are strangely addictive.

My bad-but-compelling is Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor (forgotten realms 3.0 game). I think it's a poor game but compelling - I have to complete it! I don't know why either because I think it's so bad I have to leave for a few months until I forget how bad it is and then go back to it. It may be to do with the sheer number of hours I put into the first dungeon and I was trying to convince my flatmate that firstly, the dungeon would end soon (yeah I kept that up for about two months of solid game playing) and that, secondly, the game would get better after.

Any others out there?

Lothorus
2007-01-11, 06:05 PM
Mine is Septerra Core, an old PC RPG (RPG in the sense that a Final Fantasy game is an RPG). The gameplay is kinda bland and especially annoying in some dungeons where you seem to do nothing but go to area X, find a locked door, go to area Y, find a key, go back to area X unlock the door, find a key, go back to area Y, unlock door... etc.

The plot isn't that much better, but still passable.

What's really interesting is the setting, the mechanics of the setting, along with a few of the characters. First off, the planet the game is based on has seven layers. Basically, there are entire continents floating around in the atmosphere, no oceans, all arranged in layers. Like, the second layer from the top is very arid and desert-like, and home to a bunch of scavengers who build their lives and tools from junk that drops from the top layer, where the most prosperous people live. It's pretty dang nifty, if you ask me.

Plus the mechanics and such within the game are pretty neat. The entire planet, called Septerra, is alive. All the seven layers are connected by a giant "spine", and the rotation of each layer's largest continents rotates the spine and generates "Core energy" that a lot of devices can draw energy from. For example, the main character's weapon is a gun. But it's sorta "alive" and organic. You don't need to keep track of ammunition since it grows it's own from the ambient core energy and a "core generator" that can be affixed to it, which is like an electric generator. Throughout the game you can buy more powerful generators for the gun, which in turn makes it more efficient and able to fire more powerful ammunition and such. Lotta fun. Plus you can incorporate a lot of other things besides a regular generator, like a Napalm generator which allows the gun to create a napalm grenade from time to time and burn up multiple foes. There are lots of other things that can be affixed... grenade launcher, mini-missile dealie, all sorts of things. A lot of the other characters have similar weapons that can be upgraded and expanded upon, like the wizard who has a staff you can affix a tazer or a buzz-saw to. A few others, though, have the generic "this sword has 20 more Attack Power, I'll sell the old one and buy the new". But all in all, the mechanics and setting is pretty neato.

Too bad the rest of the game wasn't up to snuff.

potatocubed
2007-01-11, 06:25 PM
Ninety-Nine Nights.

I know in my heart that it's really not a good game. But still... sending about eight hundred baddies flying with each swing is immensely satisfying. :smallbiggrin:

My favourite is Asphar's super-overdrive attack. WOOMPH and it's RAINING GOBLINS. :smallbiggrin:

My name is Wanda
2007-01-12, 05:59 AM
Final Fantasy VIII. The gameplay is absolutely horrendous, and I hate half the characters, yet I've been known to stay up until 4am playing it, looking for the next cutscene.

And that Yu-Gi-Oh! game that I bought for the Gamecube a while ago. It's really slow and tedious, yet I've somehow managed to become decent at it. Stupidly, however, the tutorial level's the hardest, because that's the only one where you don't have healing items. Grr!

Artanis
2007-01-12, 02:49 PM
Summoner.

Basically, it gave you a whole ton of options, but most of those were useless or worse. The characters had some interesting abilities, but the battle system made it counterproductive to try to actually use them, so the entire party just ended up poking monsters with pointy objects instead of Backstabbing or lobbing Fireballs or whatnot. And they had to be small pointy objects because, once again, the battle system ensured that any character with a slow weapon had to be left under AI control because you simply couldn't do anything with them yourself. To top it all off, the entire premise of the game - summoning monsters - was virtually unusable because of the rediculously high permanent penalty for letting them die.

...and yet, I played it to the end, and eventually came back to play it a second time.

Mr. Moon
2007-01-12, 03:25 PM
Every. Mario. Game.

Don't get me wrong. I know tons of people love the game, but hear me out.

I hate the plotline, and the characters make me shiver. But there's something about them that drives me to play them. It might be that music, which is constantly planting itself in my brain and playing parts of itself over and over again, it might be Yoshi, it might just be the clasic adventure style, but theres something about them that drives me to play more and more and more and...

You get the picture.

RoboticSheeple
2007-01-13, 12:19 AM
Final Fantasy VIII. The gameplay is absolutely horrendous, and I hate half the characters, yet I've been known to stay up until 4am playing it, looking for the next cutscene.

Was I the only one on this god-forsaken planet to enjoy the gameplay of FF8?

something about mario
As for the mario game, the controls are spot-on and the graphics are far from bad. I fail to understand why the game is "bad" if you take it for what it is a move left to right platform game (classic mario).

Alarge part of the problem is a person like me will say "That's a bad game, I won't play it" and make their own judgement calls on the game rather than percived popular opinion"

Dhavaer
2007-01-13, 04:22 AM
Baldur's Gate. I hated everything about it, yet somehow I kept loading it up, then quitting about fifteen minutes later. I can't imagine why.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-13, 05:15 AM
Baldur's Gate. I hated everything about it, yet somehow I kept loading it up, then quitting about fifteen minutes later. I can't imagine why.

If you're talking about number 2, it's probably out of the vain hope you'll get out of Irenicus' dungeon. Or the vain hope that it'll have been worth getting out of the dungeon. I like games that let me walk around the map from the start not shove me into a tiny hole that I have to crawl out of.

I assumed you're actually talking about number 1. Then it may be out of the vain hope that it'll be as worth it as number 2. Otherwise you're probably feeling sad that some people told you this game was worth buying.

Sailacela
2007-01-13, 11:17 AM
Mine is Septerra Core, an old PC RPG (RPG in the sense that a Final Fantasy game is an RPG).

You are the first person that I've come across that has actually heard of Septerra Core.

To answer the OP, I'm going to have to go with Myst. A beautifully rendered environment and gameplay boring as hell...yet...I was driven to finish it. Go figure.

Bryn
2007-01-13, 12:31 PM
Hey, I played Septerra Core too!
I played it for ages (being very young then, I was convinced the graphics were the most amazing ever, and that it was a really good game, in the way that little kids do). Interesting idea, very boring gameplay... I agree about the keys thing and all that.

You know, I think I'm going to have another go some time... just because. See how much I like it now.

neriana
2007-01-13, 02:03 PM

No. Though I can't say that drawing the max number of spells from enemies was terribly interesting. Things get a lot better when you get really into the card game, though, because you can just make spells on your own, and the card game is horribly addictive.

I hated FF9, and yet I played it for hours and hours. I think mostly for the chocobo mini-game and the music. Definitely not for anything else, as the ratgirl was the only character I liked even a smidgen and the gameplay totally sucked.

I love Baldur's Gate, and frankly I think 1 was much better than 2. The PC game, not the console game. (How can you get stuck in the first dungeon, anyway?) The console game, Dark Alliance, is weirdly addictive, but not that great, and I like 2 better than 1.

I tried Septerra Core. Only got about 10 minutes into it though.

Lothorus
2007-01-13, 03:48 PM
Wow, other people have heard of Septerra Core as well!?

I never thought I'd see the day. My story is a lot like yours, Z-Axis. I was young, found it in a bargan bin about seven or so years ago, and thought it was the best thing ever.

Of course, I still like Grubb (the aforementioned wizard with an upgradeable stick, to all you uninitiated) a whole lot. There's something about a wizard who can make a buzz-saw pop out of his little wizard stick that appeals to me.

General_Ghoul
2007-01-13, 04:01 PM
Temple of Elemental Evil. So buggy when it came out, not sure how it was released like that. After fan patches it was playable, most true to PnP D&D I've seen.

Dhavaer
2007-01-13, 05:50 PM
If you're talking about number 2, it's probably out of the vain hope you'll get out of Irenicus' dungeon. Or the vain hope that it'll have been worth getting out of the dungeon. I like games that let me walk around the map from the start not shove me into a tiny hole that I have to crawl out of.

I assumed you're actually talking about number 1. Then it may be out of the vain hope that it'll be as worth it as number 2. Otherwise you're probably feeling sad that some people told you this game was worth buying.

Talking about 1. I've never played 2.

Lilivati
2007-01-13, 10:43 PM
Progress Quest. Not really even a real game- you don't do anything in it, just let it run, but it's like watching a lava lamp...it hypnotizes you and you can't look away...

Also, regarding Baldur's Gate, I tried it in high school and couldn't get into it to save my life. Picked up a few years later in college and couldn't stop playing it, and it's now one of my favorite games. Not sure what caused the change of heart.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-01-14, 12:15 AM
I am quite sure that the Baldur's Gate Strategy Guide next to my computer is planning to kill itself. I HATE BALDUR'S GATE! I never leved. Ever. I didn't get any of the gameplay, I got slaugtered by traps, everyone in my party sucked beyond belief, and then there is the fact that I had to do every sidequest I could find to even get vaguely good.

Basically, Baldur's Gate is the suckiest game ever. And yet I still played it on and off for 3+ years.

Silly_Bean
2007-01-14, 05:14 AM
I really really really liked Baldur's Gate 2.

Each to their own I suppose. What's everyone's opinion on the other computer games in the forgotten realms series? Personally think they're a bit rubbish. Icewind Dale was alright-i-suppose but the rest - and I do include Neverwinter Nights in this - are cringe worthy.

Wehrkind
2007-01-14, 05:27 AM
I loved the BG series, as well as Ice Wind Dale series, it's "Screw it, let's just kill stuff" twin. I also liked FF8, but then I go in for complicated mechanics. I hated FF9 though.

My bad/compelling game was Pokemon Silver. I have enough hours logged into it to have earned a Bachelor's at PSU. I demand my degree! No graphics, no story, just collect critters and level them, get them abilities and get items. An advancement RPG distilled down to pretty much it's base form. Sort of like crack cocaine.

They made Temple of Elemental Evil playable? I loved that game for the 15 minutes it worked, and tried to love it for the next 6 hours it didn't. It was like an abusive relationship.

Bryn
2007-01-14, 07:44 AM
Interestingly enough, there's a Wikipedia article on Septerra Core:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septerra_Core

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-14, 08:56 AM
I've never heard of Septerra Core...

Ms_Elaneous
2007-01-14, 09:27 AM
Eh? Septerra Core? Ah! I have that. Can't say I finished it or even that I got very far, but I remember it. And that girl with the gigantic wrench that she smacked the snap out of stuff with. Heh...

Sailacela
2007-01-14, 11:25 AM
Interestingly enough, there's a Wikipedia article on Septerra Core:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septerra_Core

*blinks* Holy cow. It's been about six years since I've played it. Must...resist...urge to...install on..new computer...

Artanis
2007-01-14, 12:09 PM
My bad/compelling game was Pokemon Silver. I have enough hours logged into it to have earned a Bachelor's at PSU. I demand my degree! No graphics, no story, just collect critters and level them, get them abilities and get items. An advancement RPG distilled down to pretty much it's base form. Sort of like crack cocaine.
Gee thanks, and here I had just finished repressing all the horrible, addiction-addled memories of that game...:smallwink:

Lilivati
2007-01-14, 02:36 PM
I really really really liked Baldur's Gate 2.

Each to their own I suppose. What's everyone's opinion on the other computer games in the forgotten realms series? Personally think they're a bit rubbish. Icewind Dale was alright-i-suppose but the rest - and I do include Neverwinter Nights in this - are cringe worthy.
NWN's single player campaigns were definitely cringe-worthy (though some of the premium modules were alright). Where that game really shone was in community-made mods (Twilight/Midnight, Penultima, Eternum, Shadowlords and sequels, among others) and in providing the opportunity to play something very close to PnP DnD in an online game environment. Multiplayer is the only reason I still play that game.

Dhavaer
2007-01-14, 04:47 PM
I liked Icewind Dale 2, although soloing it with a drow sorcerer was pretty easy. Once you get Improved Invisibility you're golden.

TheOOB
2007-01-14, 05:40 PM
Theres a few for me.

Final Fantasy VII, I don't really like the game, I find the combat boring, the art poor, and the characters underdeveloped. When I'm not getting into a battle every 5 seconds I'm breeding chocobos for 5 hours to get a golden one which gets me an item, that while powerful, is boring in that it has a 10 minute cast time. I keep playing it because I want to find whatever mythical quality it possesses that makes so many people love and worship it, but I just haven't found it.

Another such game is Halo/Halo 2(I'm still not convinced their different games). Sure, shooting aliens is fun, but thats all there is in the game. I could have sworn I played this game back when it was called Quake 2, except then there where cool weapons, user created levels, rocket jumping, and mouse and keyboard control(FPS+controller=bad). Walking down purple hallways to shoot more of the same enemies over and over again just isn't fun to me.

Also, I must confess that I have played Sewer Shark(Sega CD) way too much. I just have trouble figuring out how a game can be so completely and entirely bad. It's like the Plan 9 from Outer Space of video games.

My name is Wanda
2007-01-14, 06:48 PM
No. Though I can't say that drawing the max number of spells from enemies was terribly interesting. Things get a lot better when you get really into the card game, though, because you can just make spells on your own, and the card game is horribly addictive.

I never liked the card game, so I never really got to get spells from that. That meant that after a night of playing FFVIII, I'd have a conversation similar to this:

Them: "So, Wanda, how did you sleep?"
Me: "I stayed up all night mining for Demi."
Them: "Er, do you mean gold? I didn't know you played WoW."
Me: "No, it was Demi. Unfortunately I levelled up twice, so now I'm going to lose the game horribly."

But yeah, give a card game and I'll ignore it. Give me a Chocobo ranch, on the other hand, and I'll spend ages and ages racing up a whole family so I can make genaeology charts and point out the pedigree of my racing chocobos, and then I'll make an inbred racing chocobo version of myself and mate it with a not-so-inbred racing chocobo version of Rufus Shinra, and make us have racing chobocobo babies. :P

Final Fantasy VII, I don't really like the game, I find the combat boring, the art poor, and the characters underdeveloped. When I'm not getting into a battle every 5 seconds I'm breeding chocobos for 5 hours to get a golden one which gets me an item, that while powerful, is boring in that it has a 10 minute cast time. I keep playing it because I want to find whatever mythical quality it possesses that makes so many people love and worship it, but I just haven't found it.

I have one word for you: Sephiroth.
... Ok, I have a few more for you: homoerotica, Vincent and Cloud. Those things are all very popular with the ladies.

Midnight Son
2007-01-15, 01:19 AM
DOA Extreme Volleyball; Either version. The game has no real plot. All you do is play volleyball, stroll on the beach and gamble. For some "unknowable" reason, I like it.

JellyPooga
2007-01-15, 05:49 AM
...the BG series, as well as Ice Wind Dale series, it's "Screw it, let's just kill stuff" twin.

Hah! I don't think I've ever seen this comment made quite so succinctly...and it's so true...

I never could actually get into Ice Wind Dale, but I did like BG (1&2).

Two absolutely appaling games I can't stop playing?

ADOM - I mean, it would probably make for quite a good (if over complex) pen and paper RPG, but the graphics are, well, non-existant (it is a Rogue-like after all, so maybe I can't criticize it for that) and the game is the same every time. You just end up walking round hitting/shooting/zapping stuff until, inexplicably, you come across some monster that is blatantly far out of your league, that you can't possibly hope to defeat or run away from...and have to start again...AAAAARRRGH! But I just can't help myself.

Pokemon Crystal - It's a terrible concept, with terrible gameplay, I play it on an emulator (so I can't 'trade' with anyone), it's too easy to complete, the music is godawful annoying (as are the sound effects), the names of half the pokemon are just ridiculous...need I go on? There are so many things that are NOT RIGHT about this game...but I can't help but, every now and then, starting a new game and, over a period of about a week, complete it...hey ho.

Dareon
2007-01-15, 02:15 PM
I've only had three games I found so bad that I just refused to finish them.

One was Castelian, a slightly odd platformer for the Game Boy. I'm almost certain the game was actually IMPOSSIBLE to finish.

The second was Seven Samurai 20XX. I hadn't even seen the movie yet and I KNEW they weren't staying true to the original vision. It could've been great, but it just turned into this weird story about ancient space gengineered people or something, and the combat was just mowing through hordes and hordes and hordes and hordes of enemies.

The third, Alter Echo. So... much... purple... So... little... good... VAing...

But I digress. Bad but compelling... Hmm.

Neverwinter Nights made me grit my teeth at how badly they mangled the 3rd Edition ruleset. If you didn't have levels in Fighter, Barbarian, or Paladin, you were practically dead meat. Once you got to the end segments, the game started going "Look! Visual effects! Let's see how many we can fit on the screen at once! That many, huh? Here's five more!" Still, I worked my way through the original campaign as a straight Bard, HotU as a Katana Fighter/Weapon Master, and managed to get to the end section of SoU with two different characters before the aforementioned visual effects rendered it unplayable. Well, the visual effects and the STUPID STUPID switch puzzles. "Go over here, pull this switch by this door. No, that didn't actually open that door, now you need to go pull the other three. They're in the other corners of the map. Enjoy your respawning enemies that take five minutes to clear and give crap for XP." And yet, even after hitting that point with one character, I came back all the way through with another, just on the off chance that maybe it would be different.

Morrowind is another one. I like the game well enough, but I'm honest enough that I can see the quests are mostly repetitive, the graphics are alternately bland or sluggish, and the only real big entertainment value is collecting and displaying weird things. (My mage is, as a roleplay initiative, afraid of the dark, so he picks up, buys, or steals every possible usable light he encounters. My thief-type has created a small shrine to Dagoth Ur at the foot of her bed. My warrior levitates in the middle of town and creates a totem pole stack of every helmet he finds. Stuff like that.) Well, collecting weird things and reveling in a game world that's more than the usual medieval England with splashes of Greco-Roman and Asian.

And then we come to FFX-2. The original was decent, and what they used of the original was decent for the most part. However, everything new that was not a character, the first dungeon, or the final dungeon, was mostly crap. All the other new dungeons were homogenized collections of perfectly rectangular hallways, the non-dungeon sidequests were nearly as repetitive and bland, the costumes were alternately idiotic and Dead Or Alive-level idiotic, the storyline was homogenized pap, and why was no one able to say Tidus' name?! (I know, it was because his name was mutable in the first one, but that's where you take a stand, like making MGS2 a blend of the two Metal Gear Solid endings. Kingdom Hearts Wakka can pronounce his name, why can't Yuna? And why'd she pick his silly emo hood to sew onto her costume?)

...Yet I played through it three times going for 100% and the relatively underwhelming Mascot dressphere. I'd put a smiley here, but there's nothign that fits "ironically amused."

Crazy Owl
2007-01-15, 04:25 PM
The Dynasty Warriors games. They are pretty much all exactly the same but look a little a better than the last. Then they get more money out of you by releasing the Extreme legends and Empires version. Although Extreme Legends are always useless the Empires are usually more fun. Luckily I managed to borrow a friends version of 5 Empires this time and didn't waste my money on it but I know in a few months I'll be annoyed that I don't have it.

Dark Dork
2007-01-15, 04:29 PM

You are not alone, brother! :biggrin:

Soniku
2007-01-15, 04:41 PM
I'll add all the .hack games for the PS2. The gameplay was worse than anything I have ever played before, but the story had that hinting feeling that it was building up to something big and I have a way with needing to know what's going on :smallbiggrin:

It wasn't worth the wait :smallfrown:

Edit: FF8 was my second favorate! (Six is in a league of it's own) I still don't get why people hate it. Was it the spell system?

JadedDM
2007-01-15, 04:54 PM

Don't you just love a game that essentially punishes you if you gain levels?

FF8 was my second favorate! (Six is in a league of it's own) I still don't get why people hate it. Was it the spell system?

Partly. The level system, too (Monsters levelled up with your characters. So if you made the mistake of level-grinding, you would find the later bosses to be almost impossible to beat. It was actually a far better strategy to turn enemies into cards, so you could get AP but not XP.)

There's also the fact that the story was contrived, the characters weren't very interesting, and the weapon upgrade system was very frustrating.

By the way, I have Septerra Core, too. But I've yet to ever finish it. I've never completed Baldur's Gate, either. Not because I don't like them...I just haven't gotten around to it.

And then we come to FFX-2. The original was decent, and what they used of the original was decent for the most part. However, everything new that was not a character, the first dungeon, or the final dungeon, was mostly crap. All the other new dungeons were homogenized collections of perfectly rectangular hallways, the non-dungeon sidequests were nearly as repetitive and bland, the costumes were alternately idiotic and Dead Or Alive-level idiotic, the storyline was homogenized pap, and why was no one able to say Tidus' name?! (I know, it was because his name was mutable in the first one, but that's where you take a stand, like making MGS2 a blend of the two Metal Gear Solid endings. Kingdom Hearts Wakka can pronounce his name, why can't Yuna? And why'd she pick his silly emo hood to sew onto her costume?)

Haha. Congrats. You are the first person I've ever known who gave reasons for why they didn't like FFX-2 other than "ZOMG d00d taht's a girlz game."

TheOOB
2007-01-15, 04:55 PM
I have one word for you: Sephiroth.
... Ok, I have a few more for you: homoerotica, Vincent and Cloud. Those things are all very popular with the ladies.

Ugh, I find Sephiroth to be a horrible villian. First of all long white hair and a massivly oversized sword do not a cool villian make. Aside from that Sephiroth has no real personality, and no viable motive for trying to destroy the world. He's just an angsty insane bastard who compensates for lacking in some areas with a 10ft long sword. Cloud and Vincent are pretty much the same, angsty anti-heroes with no real personality.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-01-15, 06:15 PM
Ugh, I find Sephiroth to be a horrible villian. First of all long white hair and a massivly oversized sword do not a cool villian make. Aside from that Sephiroth has no real personality, and no viable motive for trying to destroy the world. He's just an angsty insane bastard who compensates for lacking in some areas with a 10ft long sword. Cloud and Vincent are pretty much the same, angsty anti-heroes with no real personality.

Sephiroth didn't have a viable reason to destroy the world? You need to pay closer attention to the storyline :)

Sephiroth isn't human, and contrary to what he thought, he's not an Ancient. When he makes the discovery of Jenova in the Nibelheim reactor he discovers what he truly is. He is the hybrid of Ancient, Human, and a parasitic alien race that crashed into the world aeons ago. He is driven mad, this is true. But in that madness he finds a singular clarity that makes him believe he is not just different, he is better than humanity and thus they need to be exterminated like rats from a cellar. The destruction through Meteor will also cause the world's lifestream to overflow, and Sephiroth would be at Ground Zero. When that happens, he will absorb all that power, all that knowledge, and he will be reborn as a god. He's not just insane, he's a megalomaniacal monster bent on becoming a deity and recreating the world in his (and his mother's) image. In a world of giant bio-mechanical monsters, magic swords, talking cats on the backs of moogles, and a polymorphing gun-toting vampire, I think he's got a viable reason to destroy the world.
But, I'm also a fan-boy, and hey we're all entitled to our opinions :)

Now, On Topic, I too have played Septerra Core, but that wouldn't be bad-but-compelling game.I found nothing about it compelling in my opinion, to be honest.I simply got it because it was linked with Planescape:Torment in a 2-games-for-10-bucks box :)
Mine would probably be Soulbringer. I could find virtually nothing redeeming about this game, but I continued to play it nonetheless....

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-15, 06:53 PM
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam.

It's not a particularly good game, nor does it require anywhere near the amount of skill that previous Tony Hawk's games required. It's blatantly just SSX but with Tony Hawk. So why do I find myself compelled to try and achieve all of the goals on every single challenge?

I don't know.

neriana
2007-01-15, 07:06 PM
Haha. Congrats. You are the first person I've ever known who gave reasons for why they didn't like FFX-2 other than "ZOMG d00d taht's a girlz game."

It's not a girls' game. They didn't put that hot tub scene in for girls. It's a fan service game, and I absolutely hate fan service. If people want softcore porn, they should really rent a movie.

And yet I have a lot of fun with FFX-2 when I'm not being embarrassed and/or outraged by it. :smallmad:

JadedDM
2007-01-15, 07:08 PM
Sephiroth IS human. He is the son of Hojo and Lucretia. He has had Jenova DNA injected into his body like other SOLDIERS, though. But Jenova isn't really his mother. That was part of his delusion.

Warning: This post contained spoilers.

JadedDM
2007-01-15, 07:10 PM
It's not a girls' game. They didn't put that hot tub scene in for girls. It's a fan service game, and I absolutely hate fan service. If people want softcore porn, they should really rent a movie.

Oh, I know. I wasn't claiming it was a girl's game, I was just saying that most people who speak ill of it use that as their prime (and usually only) complaint. But it was clearly made by horny men FOR horny men.

I personally like to form a party of nothing for Black Mages, and not for any tactical reasons! :smallredface:

neriana
2007-01-15, 08:33 PM
Oh, I know. I wasn't claiming it was a girl's game, I was just saying that most people who speak ill of it use that as their prime (and usually only) complaint. But it was clearly made by horny men FOR horny men.

I personally like to form a party of nothing for Black Mages, and not for any tactical reasons! :smallredface:

Well (girly admission), I like changing the costumes, though I really wish the costumes weren't so very skanky. Actually, I don't remember the Black Mage outfits being particularly bad. Nothing is after Rikku's thief costume.

JadedDM
2007-01-15, 08:45 PM
Actually, I don't remember the Black Mage outfits being particularly bad.

It was the leather skirts that did it for me.

Actually, one of my favorite outfits is Yuna's White Mage dressphere, and it's actually quite modest. But so cute.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-01-15, 08:51 PM
Sephiroth IS human. He is the son of Hojo and Lucretia. He has had Jenova DNA injected into his body like other SOLDIERS, though. But Jenova isn't really his mother. That was part of his delusion.

Warning: This post contained spoilers.

My response to this will be hidden because it does spoil parts of the game. Just trying to be a good guy for those young 'uns who have yet to complete the story :)

Common misconception is that he was injected after he was born. He was injected with JENOVA cells pre-natal so in theory while Lucretia was the "incubator" JENOVA was the "mother". He was basically an artificial insemination in reverse.He was also showered with Mako energy just like everyone else in SOLDIER though. Oh, BTW, everyone else in SOLDIER was only irradiated in Mako. Only Cloud (who wasn't really in Soldier) and Zak and the other "Numbers" were injected with JENOVA cells.

Sorry, like I said, i'm a serious fanboy for FF7, and will argue this point. but anyways, this is not the place for this argument. So, i'm gonna stop now :)

Cheers
JS