PDA

View Full Version : What do you view psion animals would do?

CyberThread
2013-11-21, 10:10 AM
Assume they don't get a floating crystal and stuff like that.

What do you think, an animal in the wild, if it developed class levels in a psionic class, what do you think it would (by being forced by mechanics ) would pick as a path, and abilities?

Ruethgar
2013-11-21, 10:19 AM
Basic bolt for hunting or minor creation to make temp food while they search for real food. Dimension hop to escape predators or corner prey. Astral construct to make it seem like there is a greater threat for predators or more likely greater numbers for herd animals. Expansion for intimidation. Shrink for escape into impossible places.

These are just a few I can think of off the bat, AFB atm so could say everything.

Psyren
2013-11-21, 10:58 AM
There are in fact animals that spontaneously develop psionics in D&D; these are represented by the Phrenic template. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm)

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 12:43 PM
There are in fact animals that spontaneously develop psionics in D&D; these are represented by the Phrenic template. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm)

I was going to say, 'Become Magical Beasts.', but it looks like Psyren beat me to it.

Vortenger
2013-11-21, 02:48 PM
In the case of Awakened animals choosing the Psion path, I would imagine the more physical disciplines would be strongly represented. A housecat would love to turn into a lion and maul some (people) toys.

I think you'd have a lot of egoists, nomads, and kineticists, as the powers they bring to the table would be appreciated by most natural world creatures, and I rather doubt shaping or telepathy's nuances would be utilized by a recently made self aware creature. That being said...I want to play a Tibbit Thrallherd real, real bad.

For all non-awakened animals, Psyren's right (I need to patent this saying so I can start making money). That what Phrenic was designed for. (And not for incarnate construct warforged, I've been scolded).

Edit: And why no floating crystal? Cats, dogs, and other animals alike like chasing the ball, I mean floating crystal. All day entertainment is only a feat away!

ShurikVch
2013-11-21, 03:08 PM
Actually, Dark Sun have number of psionic animals
(not a magical beasts, and Int 2)
Dungeon #110 have:
Cilops (pg. 85)
Critic Lizard (pg. 87)
Pterrax (pg. 93)
and Dungeon #111 have Razorwing on pg. 96

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 03:28 PM
(not a magical beasts, and Int 2)
Dungeon #110 have:
Cilops (pg. 85)
Critic Lizard (pg. 87)
Pterrax (pg. 93)
and Dungeon #111 have Razorwing on pg. 96

It is likely that those become Magical Beasts when the 3.0 to 3.5 changes are applied though.

But possibly not as those sound pretty setting specific.

hamishspence
2013-11-21, 03:36 PM
It is likely that those become Magical Beasts when the 3.0 to 3.5 changes are applied though.

Isn't Dungeon 110 the May 2004 issue- and so, already 3.5?

Rubik
2013-11-21, 03:41 PM
Non-Awakened animals don't have the Int for psion, and Cha tends not to be that great, either. They wouldn't have the emotional attachment to that many universal truths (other than food, sleep, mating, and the rearing of young, anyway), so if they were to gain class levels (and not just the phrenic template), I think they'd gravitate toward the psychic warrior. Plenty of animalistic powers and feats to spend on melee attacks.

ShurikVch
2013-11-21, 03:48 PM

Yes, it is.
They are have "LA -"

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 03:51 PM

Yeah but it's my understanding that even the supposed 3.5 magazines hold a lot of unupdated material. Which is another one of the many reasons Dragon/Dungeon content gets disallowed for so many groups. It's just not seen as being worth the hassle to finish what was started. Or at least that's my understanding.

It's also possible such changes got errata-ed in a Letters to the Editor at some later point. It's hard to tell without tedious searching.

Particle_Man
2013-11-21, 09:07 PM

I had a character that was killed by a psionic cactus once.

Seerow
2013-11-21, 09:16 PM
Thanks to this thread, there may now in fact be a wandering phrenic advanced (20hd) rhinocerous wandering around in an E6 world.

I hope you are happy with yourselves.

mabriss lethe
2013-11-21, 09:26 PM
I'm agreeing that the Phrenic Template is going to be the best way to represent the concept.

You'd have to get lucky on an Awaken roll to get a high enough Int score to manifest any significant level of power as a psion. They won't have enough Charisma to manifest as a Wilder (even with the boost from the spell), and only a few animals will have the baked in Wisdom to work with Psychic Warrior.

Rubik
2013-11-21, 09:32 PM
You'd have to get lucky on an Awaken roll to get a high enough Int score to manifest any significant level of power as a psion. They won't have enough Charisma to manifest as a Wilder (even with the boost from the spell), and only a few animals will have the baked in Wisdom to work with Psychic Warrior.Maximize/Empower or Intensify.

mabriss lethe
2013-11-21, 09:57 PM
Maximize/Empower or Intensify.

Granted.

Using Metamagic would circumvent that limitation, at least for Int. Cha would still be shaky.

Edit to add: I'm still going to say that Phrenic is the most elegant solution to the problem, though.