PDA

View Full Version : Your coolest/favorite character concepts?

danzibr
2013-11-21, 11:21 AM
Many builds you see are powerful but not very cool (subjective, of course). Take a Psion/Constructor. Very potent, and there's some flavor there (making golems out of your brain), but I don't find it very cool. Or the Batman Wizard. Lots of utility, but again, I don't find that cool. Master of Many Forms transforming into a big baddie. That's... pretty cool, but not original.

Then there's stuff like the katana chucker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134276). Now that, I find awesome. Chuck 16 katana in 6 seconds.

Yours?

HaikenEdge
2013-11-21, 11:33 AM
I generally like my characters to be some version of Motoko Kusanagi with psionic manifesting. Usually, that ends up as Monk 2/Spell-to-Power Erudite 3/Ghostbreaker 2/Slayer 10/Ghostbreaker +3, with Able Learner to grab the scouting skills gained off Monk and Tashalatora to stack Monk with Slayer.

If I'm playing Gestalt, I'm stacking Warblade on the other side.

kpumphre
2013-11-21, 11:37 AM
More in game for these
1. I loved my Rouge who made everyone think he was a monk. He went around and collected money for his charity. He was supposedly 1st level Rouge then 2 levels Monk (really he was all rouge but my party didn't even know that)

2. Also always fun was my magican Rouge a pure Rouge with profession mage. With all his skills and such he did great, and made a lot of money from town folk.

3. Warlock who pretended to be a rouge. One of the big brutes in the party pushed him around. So he just cast flight on him self. Hovered a few inches off the ground and pretended to search for traps after the big brute walked through and set off every trap he could with out realizing it. At the end the fighter was down to 2 hp. From that point on he was much nicer to the person searching for traps.

4. Warlock pretended to be Cleric Wand of healing hidden in his weapon. and it was oh so grand, though party caught on pretty quick when my god kept changing every few hours.

ben-zayb
2013-11-21, 11:43 AM
I think I saw this hilarious Bardblade (epic/gestalt) build that optimized his Perform skill. Basically uses Undersong along with Haunting Melody, Unnerving Calm, Diamond Mind counters, and casting defensively.

Using Perform (dance) or Perform (tea ceremony), he breakdanced (or tea partied) his way to dueling of wills, dodging fireballs, defending against charms, withstanding disintegrates, living past normal HP threshold, accurately/insightfully hitting enemies, magnifying weapon damage, and casting defensively.

All the while, his mook enemies crap themselves in fear everytime he does any of his "smooth moves"/"elegant teacup drinking".

Basically, I modified it for my character (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=684753) with Perform (sing) and Perform (wind), to make her a musical assassin of sorts.

Spore
2013-11-21, 11:44 AM
Easily my one-shot Catfolk Paladin. He was part of a Mercenary band and in charge of operations aka face but also looking for the MENTAL group members not kill anyone innocent. Our alchemist destroyed a seemingly abandoned house in the slums (the paladin payed the family with gold to move to another place) the pistolero did almost shoot a commoner armed with a pitchfork.

He was supposed to be a heroic light figure and I think I managed to pull that off still by giving the party a guideline and not being preachy about my god. I hate preachy paladins.

Jurai
2013-11-21, 12:58 PM
I've always liked the Incarnificer, especially on Warforged. Knight/Swashbuckler is flavorful as well. Also, Favored Soul 3/Dragon Shaman 3 of Bahamut. He was fun.

Zombulian
2013-11-21, 01:07 PM
I always thought Haberdash the Masked was a very nice and fun concept.

Charlatan has always been one of my favorite PrC's for using your Bluff skill to pretend to be an Archmage.

Vortenger
2013-11-21, 03:23 PM
Favorite Build Stub yet to be played: Tibbit Thrallherd whose whole schtick is convincing everyone his barbarian cohort is the greatest Thog-atuerge the world has ever seen. I mean look at all the people that follow the Wiz-barian around in awe of him. (Manifest discreetly to maintain facade as long as possible)

Build goal: To see how long it takes the other players at the table to figure out that I'm not the crazy barbarian shouting 'spell names', but his terrified 'familiar' instead. Also: to provide a BSF and some psionic support without detracting from the group's arcanist.

Falcon X
2013-11-21, 03:34 PM
A few of the fun ideas in our games, in brief:

1. NG Grippli (Frog-people) Scout/Swordsage (I homebrewed it into having SS stats and Maneuvers with Scout Ability progression)
- The thing was always moving, on every axis. Popping in, using maneuvers and skirmish doing nice damage, pop people in the air, aeriel strikes, set traps. He was also a naive frog who loved shinys.

2. Dwarf Sunderer - Demolitionist (Drg 338) with an adamantine heavy pick.
- Demolitionist is a rogue that applies Sneak attack to structures and constructs. He approaches the enemy, touch-attack sunders the weapon, CLEAVES into his armor, GREAT CLEAVES into his now-diminished AC face!
Gave him some dynamite too...

3. Rogue Modron Dragonfire Adept
- When it left the hive, it became convinced it was a Dragon. So, it goes around blasting fire and keeping a hoard of treasure on it's back. Problem is, it's never actually seen a dragon, just read a paragraph about one once in a book...

4. Changeling Factotum Postal Worker with Multiple Personality Disorder
- He/she is a beurocrat in an interdemensional postal service. At emotional moments, he would roll a die and shift to one of 8 pre-set personalities (CN Sly businesswoman, LE Dark Lord, CG Bard, LG Cleric/Paladin, CE Scientist, TN Barbarian, LN Formal Businessman, Sane/Normal.)

5. Beguiler who didn't know it.
- Had to work out some hefty feats/flaws for this. We started mid-level, and we made it so he only cast enchantments and they were all both Silenced and Stilled. He was level 15 before he even knew he was magical, level 20 before he knew why everyone automatically liked him. He just thought he had a high charisma score.
He was a complete drunk too...

6. Possessed Hummingbird (Technically an NPC... now...)
- Okay, so I started as a human wizard. Little did he know he was ghost-touched. When he died (hilariously), he arose as a ghost wizard. The party decided they didn't like him, so I decided to switch and play a Spellscale Duskblade (FTW, BTW). In a crazy mixup battling a genie, the Ghost Wizard was sucked inside the body of the Duskblade's familiar - a hummingbird.
Now he has an abnormally smart hummingbird familiar who is addicted to delivering touch spells.

7. Crusader of LN. Koylarut Inevitable blooded.
- So, a human man who became imprisoned on Mechanus, made a deal with a deity to escape which included being given the mind of a Koylarut Inevitable.
So, he's basically the terminator, singlemindedly driven towards goals. Killing means nothing to him.

And my keystone Villains:
A: A Monk/Blood Magus/Pale Master - He punches you in the face and you turn undead. Has an army that destroys everything.
B: A Candle Caster/Wayfairer guide - the guy just had braided candles everywhere that would cast a death ray while simultaneously transporting him to another candle. He had a fire elemental arm graft too...

FullStop
2013-11-21, 03:40 PM
I have a concept for a commoner 1/warblade X/hulking hurler X/bloodstorm blade X, who uses the chicken-infested flaw to supply him with infinite ammunition.

That's...really all you need to know. Mr. Cluck: Chicken Chucker.
EDIT: in fact, a lot of my favorites were characters that were bloodstorm blades that threw unorthodox things. I had another idea for a BSB that had completely the wrong idea about how to use a longbow.

Vortenger
2013-11-21, 03:41 PM
Favorite actual build played: Partial gestalt (per the tier system)

Build Goal: Use the partial gestalt tier 5//tier 5 bit to create a tier 2-3 archer (for use in Savage Tides...so...pirate.)

Healer 15/ Sacred Exorcist 1/ Human Paragon 2,3 (only)/ Prestige Pally 1,3 (only) on one side,

Fighter 2/ Martial Monk 2/ Soulknife PrC 2, Soulbow 10, Human Paragon 1 (only)/ Prestige Pally 2 (only)/ Ninja 2

Classes not taken in that specific order...

End results: Sky Captain of Yesteryear, go! Full BAB Soulbow riding a Coatl w/ 9th level healer and sanctified spells, swift casting of most paladin spells, great Wis SAD synergy due to Pally w/ Serenity feat, Zen Archery, Soulbow, and Wis based casting. Good skills, good damage, tons of feats, spell list made to be more versatile than basic healer list, use of swift actions enabled w/ Battle Blessing . Mind Arrows at +5 w/ +3 enhancements before itemization, and a few ninja goodies because there are only so many Wis based classes.

Basically, in a high-seas campaign, be the Hero!

Kaiseresc
2013-11-21, 03:57 PM
I really want to make a Warforged that was awaken by a lightning and turned into his lifegiver god Zeus.
and eventually became a Stormlord. Zap zap, homies!

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 06:40 PM
Currently? A porcelain Warforged Scout Psionic Artificer with Spellsong Nightingales as Embedded Warforged Components who rides a Runic Guardian sidesaddle and wears Victorian era dresses.

jaydubs
2013-11-21, 07:56 PM
I've always wanted to play a chaotic evil warlock with an awful wisdom score and amazing charisma. He would be convinced (due to like a 3 in wisdom) that he's actually a lawful good paladin. And with 18 charisma and maximum diplomacy, he would actually convince a fair number of other people that he's a paladin as well.

Every time he uses an invocation, he shouts "SMITE EVIL." And since whatever he hits gets hurt, it must have been evil. He'd also wear every single holy symbol he can find, even fake ones, because the more holy symbols you have the better of a person you are. :smallbiggrin:

Raezeman
2013-11-22, 03:52 AM
One of my characters is an evil dragonfire adept, human. I made his backstory such that he inherited the dragonblood from his father (a good dragonfire adept) and all powers (breath weapon, scales,...) are a passive manifestation of having that dragonblood. I play him that his goal is to become as dragonlike as possible, and prove he is stronger then everyone. As he gains more levels, his mentally get's some dragonlike characteristics (we found a small golden statue of a dragon and he now sleeps while hugging said statue, and how i describe his reaction when we find large amounts of coins). Feats and invocations are little aimed at being dragon like, such as frightful presence and draconic flight. Also aiming to somehow get claws, a bite attack and a tail. Claws and bite should be doable by the vile feats, but i don't think there is an official way i could get a dragon tail after level 1, though if i come up with something, my dm probably will let me have it since it's not gamebreaking at all.
So this is Zim, the powerhungry dragonfire adept who i really like playing.

Erik Vale
2013-11-22, 04:13 AM
Multiarmed Warlock using Multitasking all the eldritch blasts.
Half Ogre Primordial [Half Ogre Mage] Warlock using giant based CL boosting feats.
Diopsid Warlock.
Neraph Rogue Charger build, using MWF and Complete scoundrel for a boutload of weapons and a nationful of d6s.

Aside from those, fluffy characters that would take too long to list.

Bullet06320
2013-11-22, 06:11 AM
human conjurer, short and round, lazy, used magic to make life easier, unseen servant is my friend, used it to feed him, bath him, hold books he was reading, turning the page, believed if magic couldn't do it, it wasn't worth doing, lol, was a load of fun playing such an odd character

dwarf figher barbarian battlerager, that had cursed dwarvin thrower he used to throw himself into melee, ranks in perform, drunken singing, and thought gems was candy, always complained about his teeth

I enjoy coming up with a concept, then building the character to fit the personality

Manly Man
2013-11-22, 08:30 AM
This is one I've mentioned before in a thread for some interesting BBEGs, and it's a Chaotic Good Bard/Disciple of Metal (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19523298/The_Disciple_of_Metal_PrC_Bard) lich who, after having made music for a few centuries, is running dry on material, so he hatches a plan. He stages a supposed "world-shaking" situation that scares the Hell out of everyone and attracts a group of adventurers that he leads along through epic battles and dangerous traps, until they clash with him on top of a huge mountain in a raging storm. He is then "defeated" (he led them to a fake phylactery, so as to make things seem like they were going right), and the adventurers are showered with praise and riches from their efforts, and the lich gets to make more songs about a truly epic (not necessarily epic-leveled, mind) group of adventurers and their exploits. Everything ends well for everyone, and there's a net gain in goodness flowing around.

Also, I've had a lot of fun with Awakened creatures, like a jumping spider who becomes a Ninja, a skeleton who leads an unlife as a sort of pirate-vigilante, an iron golem Paladin, and my favorite, a cherry blossom (animate object + permanency + awaken construct) who becomes an assassin.

Demonikus Aber
2013-11-22, 10:38 AM
One of the best builds me and a friend came up with was a evolved undead gravetouched ghoul wood elf monk. This is out of the Libris Mortis. Gravetouched Ghoul gives you +1 level adjust, but all the benefits of being a ghoul like being undead, D12 hitdice, and paralysis. Also, the evolved undead gives additional bumps to strength and charisma, gives you a once per day, and improves or gives you fast healing by 3. this means the +4 to strength you get from Gravetouched, and the +2 str from wood elf. now +2 from evolved as well. you now have a +8 str and a lot of other abilities like not being subject to critical hits all for a plus 3 level adjustment.
Now pair this with a monk and take multi-attack and improved multi-attack as well as ability focus paralysis, with a high bonus on charisma. This lets you do ridiculous amounts of attacks, with all good saves, 3/4 base attack bonus, and flurrys. this lets you make two unarmed strikes, which don't get paralysis, but then a claw and a bite, all with your massive strength bonus. If they survive the volley, they have to make two saves vs your ungodly high paralysis save dc. This makes your character very efficient no matter what iniative you have, and no matter how late in the game you are. Also, whenever you feel you have enough hitdice, you can take evolved again and improve you fast healing by three every time, and get new abilities, like unhallow, haste, see invisibility, as well as get an additional +1 bump to nat armor, and an additional +2 to strength and Cha.

This gives you really high damage output. Your Ac will be ridiculously high because Grave touched Ghouls get wisdom bonuses. as well as dex bonuses from grave touched and wood elf. Also most of your attacks will hit. eventually flurrying for massive amounts of punches while adding two paralysis saves on to the end of it. not to mention hasting yourself to get the extra bite or claw in after a flurry and adding another save.

Aerlock
2013-11-25, 01:55 PM
I had a gestalt PF Soulknife//Rogue/Master thrower/Whisperknife/etc. that I put together for a 20th level alternate game. Never got to play him but really liked the idea of him.

He was a Halfling and focused on throwing daggers. With a Ring of Reduction from Lords of Madness to make him Tiny and the feats Confound the Big Folk, Underfoot Combat and Giantbane to take advantage of his size vs Medium sized enemies. The basic tactics I had planned for him were to find a bad guy, climb aboard using Giantbane and blast away with ranged touch sneak attacks per round using his "mount" as a shield thanks to the Confound the Big Folk and Underfoot Combat.

The mental image of someone the size and weight of a newborn baby climbing on his enemies and throwing a limitless supply of magical mind daggers while dodging any attacks directed at him was just a bit too amusing to pass up.

- Aerlock