PDA

View Full Version : Creatures That Come in Pairs

Morof Stonehands
2013-11-21, 11:55 AM
In a campaign I am making, one of the kingdoms is so large that they have two ruling cities, one on each side of the kingdom. They rule in tandem, never conflicting each other. Right now they are twin Human brothers, but I might change that in the future.

So, are there any monsters that come in pairs like that, that could be rulers of a kingdom together?

Pilo
2013-11-21, 11:59 AM
Dvati comes to mind.
Dwarves with the "Born of the three thunder" (Forgotten realms) feat too.
Dragon with human familiar (existed in 2nd edition)

unseenmage
2013-11-21, 12:45 PM
Seconding Dvati. Best use for them I've read so far.

Necroticplague
2013-11-21, 12:48 PM
Symbiotic creatures come in fairs (so much so their cr is an ordered pair).

Morof Stonehands
2013-11-21, 02:07 PM
The Dvati are really cool! Pretty much what I was looking for. Although, other suggestions are still welcome!

Is there anything that can be found in the official sources? I have never seen Dragon Compendium before.

AlanBruce
2013-11-21, 02:11 PM
The Protean Scourge (MM3). It can split itself once struck by a slashing weapon and is effectively two creatures, sharing the same spell pool.

I cannot recall if the split is permanent, or has a fixed duration until they choose to rejoin (which takes a 1 minute).

But if they can remain split, you could have each lord over a different kingdom and manipulate events as they see fit.

Morof Stonehands
2013-11-21, 07:37 PM
The Protean Scourge (MM3). It can split itself once struck by a slashing weapon and is effectively two creatures, sharing the same spell pool.

I cannot recall if the split is permanent, or has a fixed duration until they choose to rejoin (which takes a 1 minute).

But if they can remain split, you could have each lord over a different kingdom and manipulate events as they see fit.

This one is pretty cool, especially with the shapechange ability. They can masquerade as Kings for some time, hopefully without being discovered! I like it :)

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-21, 07:43 PM
while I fully suspect this will be found stupid... sentient ooze in roughly humanoid shape, can be split by slashing weapons allowing for there to be more than one while not coming into conflict with the "sibling", unusual monster mentality could lead to unorthodox means of ruling or enforcing....hopefully that doesn't sound as stupid as I suspect it will.

JeminiZero
2013-11-21, 08:37 PM
One of the more ridiculous ideas for a Lich to hide his Phylactery, involves using Polymorph Any Object to turn it into a living creature of some sort. You could apply that to this case wherein the Lich rules one city, and the living Phylactery rules the other.

The Insanity
2013-11-21, 08:39 PM
Ettin? aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-21, 08:43 PM
There used to be some possibly apocryphal lore regarding dryads and satyrs (and possibly hamadryads, but that's unnecessarily complicated atm). Basically, they were two halves of the same species. Which never made any sense at all (classic fey, right?). But I do seem to remember reading that somewhere back in the annals of 1e or 2e.

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-21, 08:49 PM
There used to be some possibly apocryphal lore regarding dryads and satyrs (and possibly hamadryads, but that's unnecessarily complicated atm). Basically, they were two halves of the same species. Which never made any sense at all (classic fey, right?). But I do seem to remember reading that somewhere back in the annals of 1e or 2e.

I thought that was satyrs and nymphs..then again I could be wrong I just remember "satyr-nymph" and "faun-nymph" comparisons a lot.

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-21, 08:55 PM
I thought that was satyrs and nymphs..then again I could be wrong I just remember "satyr-nymph" and "faun-nymph" comparisons a lot.

You may be right, and that would make marginally more sense (given the origin of the terms satyromania and nymphomania). But, only marginally more, as I can't think of references in mythology that might indicate this.... On the other hand, they weren't really biological creatures in the myths, either.

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-21, 08:58 PM
You may be right, and that would make marginally more sense (given the origin of the terms satyromania and nymphomania). But, only marginally more, as I can't think of references in mythology that might indicate this.... On the other hand, they weren't really biological creatures in the myths, either.

you may very well be right and I could fully be in the wrong, now that I think about it the thing I'm remembering it from the most are the "xanth" books.

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-21, 09:01 PM
you may very well be right and I could fully be in the wrong, now that I think about it the thing I'm remembering it from the most are the "xanth" books.

OMG. I think that might have been my reference point too! Oh, memory! Such a tease. You don't even see the swiss-cheese holes in it until it's far too late.

Particle_Man
2013-11-21, 09:13 PM
A dragon magazine issue "The ecology of . . . " has that thing with satyrs and dryads, I believe. Also had dryad hair colour changing with the seasons, so in Autumn they looked human enough (with red or orange or blonde hair) that they could mix with people in the woods and just look like beautiful women. A druid used that trick when her friend a wizard came with some apprentices and were asking all sorts of questions about dryads, never realizing that dryads were talking to them!

Oh, for the OP: Caryatid Columns (sort of stone golems/gargoyles but they look like beautiful women and are standing in front of columns) often come in pairs on each side of a doorway. Walk between them, they animate and boom.