PDA

View Full Version : would hengeyokaimake a decent psion?

CyberThread
2013-11-21, 12:10 PM
Do you think hengeyokai would make a decent psion

Studoku
2013-11-21, 12:14 PM
Depends which version. I know there's an LA+0 version of some of them which would be pretty good if you can use powers in animal form.

The versions with LA, less so. LA on anything caster based tends to suck (because casting levels are so good).

Yora
2013-11-21, 12:15 PM
Sure. Level Adjustment is always more bad to spellcasters than to noncasters, but it's still a full progression spellcaster, so it won't actually hurt that much. It doesn't really have any traits that make a psion more effective, but if you want to play a hengeyokai and want to play a psion, there is nothing stopping you.

Urpriest
2013-11-21, 12:17 PM
Depends which version. I know there's an LA+0 version of some of them which would be pretty good if you can use powers in animal form.

The versions with LA, less so. LA on anything caster based tends to suck (because casting levels are so good).

There aren't two versions, if you're playing 3.5. There's just the LA +0 version.

But yeah, it should work relatively well, with Sparrow form or the like providing good AC.

Psyren
2013-11-21, 12:56 PM
Do you think hengeyokai would make a decent psion

Yes. Next thread question

Zombulian
2013-11-21, 12:58 PM
Sparrow Hengeokai Psion with Vow of Poverty.

Codyage
2013-11-21, 01:17 PM
Does this count (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286818)? Tippy takes a level of Psion. :smalltongue:

I am sure it may be possible to use the Hengeyokai Sparrow for the purposes of the Were Eagle.

Rubik
2013-11-21, 01:17 PM
Sparrow Hengeokai Psion with Vow of Poverty.And Wild Cohort for something fun to guard you.

CyberThread
2013-11-21, 01:40 PM
How would it Benefit from vow?

Psyren
2013-11-21, 01:50 PM
How would it Benefit from vow?

The same as any psion - psionics doesn't have material components, so VoP is almost all upside.

I assume that the Hengeyokai combo in particular is due to the fact that they can fly without needing PP, and manifest while in animal forms.

Zombulian
2013-11-21, 01:53 PM
The same as any psion - psionics doesn't have material components, so VoP is almost all upside.

I assume that the Hengeyokai combo in particular is due to the fact that they can fly without needing PP, and manifest while in animal forms.

Tied with the fact that sparrows would probably have a little trouble wearing gear.

Psyren
2013-11-21, 02:19 PM
Tied with the fact that sparrows would probably have a little trouble wearing gear.

Does it meld into their bodies or something? I don't know how their shapeshifting works. If that is the case, then yeah, even more argument for VoP since the bonuses would stay intact.

ArcturusV
2013-11-21, 02:32 PM
Hmm... odd that I've read up on it now. The shapeshifting has some odd wording to it that makes me ponder some of the rulings that can possibly be involved.

For example it mentions equipment melding into the animal form (As in Alter Self/Polymorph's effect), but also that magic items cease to function. The ability isn't based on Wild Shape, so I don't think Wilding Clasps would work for it. Might have RAI back up as well as the Wilding ability was printed in OA originally and it doesn't mention working on the Hengeyokai's alternate forms.

But despite the fact that the hybrid uses the same ability it's called out as still having functional equipment... except that heavy armor doesn't work. Which near as I can figure falls into the Alter Self line about how if you transform back while wearing something you couldn't wear it just falls to your feet. Least that's the only reference I could find to really explain it.

It's an odd duck of an ability the more I ponder it. Intentions seem clear enough, common sense rulings and such. Just some odd quirks that make me ponder.

CyberThread
2013-11-21, 03:04 PM
What exalted feats do you think the vop psion would benefit from

Vortenger
2013-11-21, 03:14 PM
CyberDrag, whats with all the Psionic questions these days? You have something going in a game soon? You may just want to make a thread entitled: Psionic Questions, Psyren please help! (All others welcome)

Rubik
2013-11-21, 03:20 PM
CyberDrag, whats with all the Psionic questions these days? You have something going in a game soon? You may just want to make a thread entitled: Psionic Questions, Psyren please help! (All others welcome)Why not just rename this thread and have a mod blend them together?

CyberThread
2013-11-21, 03:25 PM
Following that logic,.I should have a super thread for just me to askin

Rubik
2013-11-21, 03:28 PM
Following that logic,.I should have a super thread for just me to ask inThat's actually a really good idea, all things considered...
:amused:

Red Fel
2013-11-21, 03:30 PM
I could see that. "The CyberDrag Q&A Thread." Just number each of your questions like they do in the major Q&A threads so people can keep track.

Vortenger
2013-11-21, 03:53 PM
To be honest, I kinda always figured that was CyberDrag's eventual goal. Create a thread with links to all his questionnaire threads, so as to consolidate all the information we provide within each. Could be a sort of handbook, right? Hell, if all the old threads by Eldariel (forgive me if I mis-remember the poster) back in the old days had something similar, some of these questions may never have happened!

p.s. -CyberDrag, please do this thing.

lsfreak
2013-11-21, 04:12 PM
I could see that. "The CyberDrag Q&A Thread." Just number each of your questions like they do in the major Q&A threads so people can keep track.

On that note, a few of your questions could just be asked in the major 3.5 Q&A thread stickied to the top of this forum. I've noticed a few of them are pretty straightforward rules questions that don't really need discussion. At least until it's apparent that either the answer is unclear, or that you want a discussion of the logic of the rule or if something should be changed about it.

CyberThread
2013-11-23, 04:37 PM
do you think with all this vop psion sparrow, it would be worth it to dip warshaper as you get no items?

Zombulian
2013-11-23, 04:57 PM
do you think with all this vop psion sparrow, it would be worth it to dip warshaper as you get no items?

Maybe Ardent 15/Warshaper 4/Ardent 1 as Ardents are very dip friendly and good for gishing.