PDA

View Full Version : MMO on xbox live arcade?

Tylorious
2013-11-21, 01:57 PM
Has anyone played Ascend: Hand of Kul.

I picked it up during the few days it was free, and played it a little. Not sure what to think of it though, I want some more input. What you guys think?

KillianHawkeye
2013-11-21, 10:43 PM
I DL'd it, but haven't got around to playing it yet. It's an MMO? :smallconfused:

Amarsir
2013-11-21, 10:53 PM
I haven't played it personally, but from what i understand Ascend isn't an MMO. It's single-player in a larger world.

There are MMOs for console though. Two that I currently play on PC (DCUO and Planetside 2) are on / coming to the PS3/4. And Xbox has analogues: Champions Online (meh) and Defiance. (By Trion Worlds, the best customer service game company in existence.). Not strictly what you asked about, but given your title perhaps you're in search of a console MMO?

KillianHawkeye
2013-11-21, 10:55 PM
I haven't played it personally, but from what i understand Ascend isn't an MMO. It's single-player in a larger world.

What do you mean "in a larger world?" Larger than what? :smallconfused:

cavalieredraghi
2013-11-21, 11:02 PM
I have3 played it a bit, I enjoyed it, but I break most game systems on consoles so fast they getting boring for me really quick. anyways, the idea, from what I understand, behind Ascend is you are a giant, god like creature in a world filled with other of your kind, Ergo other players, while you all can not interact right now, you will be able to eventually the game is actually still in beta, which is why the free download.

while you can not play with other plays directly, you can aid, or screw with them indirectly, but casting curses or blessing. the main idea is you are competing against all other players to be the best.

Thanatos 51-50
2013-11-22, 03:06 AM
Ascend is something of an asynchronous MMO. You can see other players, but can only interact through voice chat and special spells with bless, curse, or throw monsters at them.

Tylorious
2013-11-22, 07:50 AM
Understood, and the whole crusade aspect of it. Is it a functioning part of the game? Because it seems like, one faction owns pretty much all the land.

Amarsir
2013-11-22, 04:52 PM
What do you mean "in a larger world?" Larger than what? :smallconfused:
Well other people have explained Ascend more, but I'll just clarify what I meant: "Larger" than the single-player game over which you exercise control.

Imagine leveling up in World of Warcraft with no dungeons or teamups. You get a quest to kill Kobolds and go do it, and then pass someone else who just finished that same quest. It's effectively a single-player game, but one that seems bigger and more populated just because you have an awareness of other people.

That's one of the ways game designers can bridge the gap between single-player and multi- without fully being either.