PDA

View Full Version : Catnip

Suzaku
2007-01-11, 09:16 PM
Ok I have race of catgirls in a custom campaign and I was thinking of including catnip. I'm thinking it should a be poison that causes effect stunned and perhaps also making them prone as they roll around in it. I'm thinking a fort save of 15 to prevent being stunned and prone but not sure how long should it last. Also keep in mind the I'm thinking of having other races effected by this poison and the catgirls already have -2 fort save to inhaled poisons.

Please note my cat girl repdouce by a form of Parthenogenesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis)

SpiderBrigade
2007-01-11, 09:19 PM
If the entire race is catgirls, how to they reproduce?

Budding?

oriong
2007-01-11, 09:27 PM
Did that just kill a catgirl in a discussion on catgirls?

Why would catnip affect other races? If it doesn't it seems kind of odd to just come up with a poison to screw any catgirl players in the group, especially one that's pretty dangerous, especially to those with a bad fort save.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-11, 09:35 PM
How do catgirls reproduce?

With hound archons.

blackout
2007-01-11, 10:05 PM
That actually makes good sense. Depending on the gender, the child is either a catgirl or hound archon. It makes sense, dangit!

Suzaku
2007-01-11, 10:12 PM
If the entire race is catgirls, how to they reproduce?

Budding?
A form of Parthenogenesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis)

blackout
2007-01-11, 10:26 PM
...I like the Hound Archon idea better.

TheOOB
2007-01-11, 10:29 PM
You could always work it like the Mithra in FFXI, there are males, you just never see them.

Makes you wonder if they're treated like slaves or kings.

Suzaku
2007-01-11, 10:29 PM
...I like the Hound Archon idea better.
Technically a Hound Archon could trigger Kulu (or my cat girl) to be pregnant :smalltongue:

blackout
2007-01-11, 10:32 PM
<< Ok...so, what is he an illegitimate father or what?

Scorpina
2007-01-11, 10:36 PM
I've encountered entirely female or entirely male races before. Usually they reproduce with humans or another avaliable race. It makes about as much sense as half-dragons, I guess.

Missing Shoe
2007-01-11, 10:40 PM
Or they take the fabled amazon approach, rape cat men (rakasha I think they are called) and kill the male children.:smallbiggrin:

fireinthedust
2007-01-11, 10:45 PM
Half-dragons would be a template, then, not a race.

How do they reproduce? With Zap Brannigan, in a way that would totally ROCK YOUR WORLD! Hoo-ah!

I would sayit's perfectly reasonable to have a poison that affects members of just one race. Don't do it to screw a PC, but to move the plotline along: all the humans are affected by a disease that turns people into stone; Elves and dwarves help out, feel helpless, whatever.

Although, I'm playing a Paladin and there was a Catfolk rogue who posted (out loud) that he was thinking of stealing from the Paladin; as a Cat owner, I decided my guy would talk to the party druid about lacing his belt pouches and belongings with Catnip, just in case (although they'd automatically be stolen, at least he'd know; and could bring that Catfolk to justice! yeah! (rock it like a hurricane!))

TheOOB
2007-01-11, 10:45 PM
Rakasha are powerful spellcasting outsiders who happen to look like cats, hardly cat-men, that said they could make half-fiend catgirls.

Suzaku
2007-01-11, 10:53 PM
I was a little sketchy but then again only about 2/3 of domestic cats are effected by catnips other 1.3 are immune to the effect. After being expose to catnip cat then becomes immune until 2 hours later when it resets and become Susceptible again.

Mewtarthio
2007-01-12, 12:00 AM
These are fantasy creatures with a coincidental (or not, if you've got the right gods/wizards) resemblance to anthropomorphic female felines. For all we know, there really are male catgirls, but they look exactly like the females. Your response to this may be either horror and revulsion or willful self-delusion (http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=971007) at your leisure.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-12, 12:45 AM
Thank you. I was trying to think of an answer more horrifying then "with hound archons". That was totally it.

Fhaolan
2007-01-12, 01:36 AM
These are fantasy creatures with a coincidental (or not, if you've got the right gods/wizards) resemblance to anthropomorphic female felines. For all we know, there really are male catgirls, but they look exactly like the females. Your response to this may be either horror and revulsion or willful self-delusion (http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=971007) at your leisure.

At first, I thought it might be amusing, that idea. Then I realized that all the friends I have who are full-fledged furries would probably actually like that idea.

And then I shudder and try to forget again. Blissfull Lethe, I surrender to your embrace...

Thomas
2007-01-12, 03:10 AM
Thank you. I was trying to think of an answer more horrifying then "with hound archons". That was totally it.

Think again. (Requires having read Junji Ito comics.)

Catgirls reproduce like Tomie. You cut one up into pieces, and they all grow into a new one...

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-12, 04:42 AM
Fun fact: Catnip causes cats to act as if they were in heat. That's why they go crazy.

So, just imagine what effect it would have on catgirls. >.>

AtomicKitKat
2007-01-12, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't go with "stunned". "Dazed" is more appropriate(not to mention not as crippling).

Quincunx
2007-01-12, 10:10 AM
I remember having to remove the neighbor's cat from what HAD been my catnip seedling bed. "In heat" does not sum up the range of his physiological reactions, but "stoned" certainly did. He kept trying to defend his catnip by clawing my hand, but since he kept attacking the invisible doubled hand about 15 cm to the right of where my hand actually was, I was not so impressed.

And you all have overlooked the obvious. Male catmen get shipped off to Third Earth just after being weaned.

silvermesh
2007-01-12, 10:54 AM
Fun fact: Catnip causes cats to act as if they were in heat. That's why they go crazy.

So, just imagine what effect it would have on catgirls. >.>

anyone who has been around a cat in heat(with or without mate) and the same cat with catnip can see that statement as blatantly untrue. I think you must have read the wikipedia article on the subject, which spouts off a bunch of garbage about how it affects different parts of the cats sensory organs and brain. This isn't a very well-founded article, it isn't cited, and it certainly doesn't seem to be written by someone who knew what they were talking about, other than the ability to list a bunch of terms about sensory organs. There really isn't any clear evidence as to WHY the catnip does what it does to a cat, the entire paragraph is just a bunch of words to confuse you into thinking the writer knows what he's talking about. at the end it says "probably" hijacks the pherimone sensor. if the rest of the statements were actually true, there would be no probably about it.

most of the article is hijacked from "How Stuff Works"
http://science.howstuffworks.com/question303.htm

On to the skinny
my objections to the existence of a catgirl race aside, I would throw out the fort save entirely. catnip only works on certain cats, and it always works on those certain cats. I would make it a will save to resist the urge to partake in the effects, rather than a fort to resist the drug. make "catnip immunity" a feat that catgirls can only take at first level. I would have the effect be more like the confusion spell, only making changes for flavor. instead of 'do nothing" it would be "roll around", instead of flee from caster, run in random direction, etc. I wouldn't worry about making the character prone, any cat worth it's salt shoud have no trouble being prone and unprone at will, especially under the effects of catnip.

Tor the Fallen
2007-01-13, 04:00 PM
It should work like a love potion.
You sickos.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-13, 04:02 PM
If it does, I completely endorse having succubi use it against catfolk PC's.

Brickwall
2007-01-13, 04:06 PM
Catnip is basically a drug. The BoVD handles drugs pretty well. It's basically marijuana for cats, but it doesn't have any lasting side-effects as far as we know, not even addiction. However, once exposed, affected felines have a deeply instinctual drive to crush as much catnip as possible to release the oil.

By the way, remind me not to play in any campaigns you DM. You sound like the kind of guy who owns a copy of the Book of Erotic Fantasy.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-13, 04:09 PM
Funny you mention this- an old DM of mine had that exact book, and used it to explain things in detail that we didn't want in the first place.

No, I'd use it just to find new ways to be a complete and horrible jerk to you. I like throwing the PC's into poor odds.

Suzaku
2007-01-13, 04:35 PM
By the way, remind me not to play in any campaigns you DM. You sound like the kind of guy who owns a copy of the Book of Erotic Fantasy.

Nope I don't use anything from it or have the book. Besides it was just a lapse of judgment don't really plan on using it.

terrant
2007-01-13, 07:45 PM
All undone by the fact only about 50% of cats get 'over excited' by catnip and some don't react at all (regardless of the individual cat's sex).

If used as an debilitating poison against Catgirl'kind, it would just increase the tendancy of the survivers to be non-reactors who would then take their Catgirl'kind revenge upon you.