PDA

View Full Version : Mind flayer characters?

doliest
2007-01-11, 09:49 PM
Does anyone have the mind flayer race stat and abilitys?

Everyman
2007-01-11, 09:54 PM
Does anyone have the mind flayer race stat and abilitys?
Sadly, mind flayers are not SRD and therefore we can't list the stats on a public forum. To do so would violate OGL and require Rich and the mods to lock and/or delete the thread.

I recommend you ask a friend with a book or perhaps ask for a quick PM with a summary of their racial stats.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-11, 09:57 PM
Not OGL, sorry. You'll have to get yourself an MM.

doliest
2007-01-11, 09:58 PM
Ok how do i lock/delete this thread then?

Everyman
2007-01-11, 10:05 PM
No, no...YOU don't have to do anything. The mods would have to if we posted non-OGL material. Since that hasn't happened, nothing needs to be done.:smallsmile:

TheOOB
2007-01-11, 10:24 PM
I can say, however, that mindflayers generally speaking make pretty poor characters. Their abilities are hard to balance, yet don't scale overly well with levels, same with all high HD/LA races.

Psionic Mindflayers also exist in the XPH, which IMO are much better, though still not good characters.

doliest
2007-01-11, 10:28 PM
It was going to be a NPC party member with a vampire template.
Instead I decided on a Doppleganger vampire.:smallbiggrin:

Person_Man
2007-01-11, 10:31 PM
I can say, however, that mindflayers generally speaking make pretty poor characters. Their abilities are hard to balance, yet don't scale overly well with levels, same with all high HD/LA races.

Psionic Mindflayers also exist in the XPH, which IMO are much better, though still not good characters.

True that. The Level Adjustment just isn't worth it. If you're still interested though, the Lords of Madness book is all about aberations, including a heafty amount about Mind Flayers. There's a prestige class that let's you transform into one, similar to the Dragon Disciple.

TheOOB
2007-01-11, 10:51 PM
I'm confused as to how a mindflayer vampire would work, does it eat brains, drink blood, or eat bloody brains?

BCOVertigo
2007-01-11, 10:53 PM
I'm confused as to how a mindflayer vampire would work, does it eat brains, drink blood, or eat bloody brains?

I saw a special one time on squids. It seems they actually have rings of teeth on each sucker that dig in in addition to the suction, do that but moreso.

http://norb.homedns.org/nwp/misc_stuff/best_images/pictures/picture-15.jpg

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-11, 10:54 PM
Is it... is it possible to extract a living human brain without blood? I guess there's no RAW for it, but...

Turcano
2007-01-12, 02:55 AM
Crystal Keep was mind flayer stats if you really want to have a mind flayer character, but they suck; as other people have pointed out, they have an obscene LA (something around +7 or 8). And why does the non-psionic mind flayer have effective sorcerer levels, but wizard as their favored class? You'd have a hard time making a suckier PC race if you set out to do so deliberately.

Thomas
2007-01-12, 03:05 AM
Mind flayer vampires are a special case; they're in Lords of Madness (and in some older AD&D book I've got lying around, too, I believe). They become feral and crazy, basically.

doliest
2007-01-12, 08:05 AM
We play without creature race lv mod unless it's to powerful otherwise.

silvermesh
2007-01-12, 10:22 AM
no LA?
it's pretty much always too powerful otherwise... thats rather why it's there.. it's one thing to reduce it if you think it's too extreme, it's another to just say "hey we don't need this".

The mindflayer really isn't all that bad, it's just that high LA monsters are difficult to make into effective primary casters due to being so far behind the spell curve. bump up to epic levels and that cut wears down quite a bit.It really just throws the restriction on people who see 20 as the endgame. and really if you're that traditional that epic level is alien to you, playing a mind flayer PC, probably isn't for you anyhow.

AtomicKitKat
2007-01-12, 11:34 AM
I don't remember a PrC turning anyone into a Mind Flayer...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-12, 12:20 PM
Sounds like an aberration to me...

Amiria
2007-01-12, 12:49 PM
It took me a while to see the humor in this ... because it is aberrant humor. :smalltongue:

nows7
2007-01-12, 01:02 PM
It took me a while to see the humor in this ... because it is aberrant humor. :smalltongue:

<Bow> That was artful.

Jack Mann
2007-01-12, 02:35 PM
no LA?
it's pretty much always too powerful otherwise... thats rather why it's there.. it's one thing to reduce it if you think it's too extreme, it's another to just say "hey we don't need this".

The mindflayer really isn't all that bad, it's just that high LA monsters are difficult to make into effective primary casters due to being so far behind the spell curve. bump up to epic levels and that cut wears down quite a bit.It really just throws the restriction on people who see 20 as the endgame. and really if you're that traditional that epic level is alien to you, playing a mind flayer PC, probably isn't for you anyhow.

Alternately, you could look at the current wonky epic rules and give it up for a lost cause.

Person_Man
2007-01-12, 03:10 PM
I don't remember a PrC turning anyone into a Mind Flayer...

Flayerspawn Psychic, I think? Can't remember what book its in, but I distinctly remember reading it. I know for a fact that there are a bunch of llithid Heritage feats that gives you tentacles and the ability to eat brians.