PDA

View Full Version : Outta Time and Other Mystara Misadventures: The In Charactering

Rebonack
2013-11-21, 05:54 PM
Looooong ago in a distant land... I, Aku, the shape-shifting master of darkness unleashed an unspeakable-

Wait.

Hold on, that's the wrong intro. Let me check my notes.

Ah, right, here we are.

*ahem*

Ah Athenos. You'll find no greater wretched hive of scum and villainy in all of Brun. Well, unless you were in one of those free-ports infested with pirates. Or maybe an Alphatian slave market. Or poking around in Trollhattan. Or...

Okay, okay, fine. Athenos is far from the most wretched hive of scum and villainy around, but it still has its skeevy side. But that's to be expected from most any port city where drunken sailors are loaded down with coin burning holes in their pockets.

While its position as the pinnacle of wretched hives of scum and villainy might be questionable, Athenos is without a doubt the hub of trade in all of Brun. Countless merchant vessels come and go from its harbors on a daily basis while even more innumerable caravans set off for lands exotic loaded down with goods from the Known World and beyond. Peddlers peddle, craftsmen craft, fishermen repair nets, shipwrights patch up barnacle encrusted hulls, and merchants... merch?

Is that even word?

Regardless, Athenos is a bustling hub of commerce lucrative, luxurious, and occasionally questionably legal. People of all walks and races intermingle here for business and pleasure. Especially that second one when the aforementioned sailors with pocket-burning coin are involved. There really are few better places in the world to find just about anything. Including great adventure and great trouble.

Often those two come hand in hand.

The North and East gates stand wide and welcoming, greeting travelers with streets clogged with booths and calls from merchants to inspect their wares. The waterfront is alive with boisterous hub-bub whilst raucous laughter filters through the smokey doorways of The Drunken Walrus.

Choose where first your foot falls, traveler. And let your story begin.

Derjuin
2013-11-22, 12:28 AM
Star Sapphire, at the North Gate

"Phew, finally made it to Athenos!" Star let out a sigh of relief and took a moment to look over the gates of the city. They seemed familiar, yet strange; as if they were the signs of home-away-from-home. Of course, knowing her, she would probably only be staying there shortly - long enough to find some odd jobs that would help out the community, but short enough to not grow attached to the place. Memories of her mentor, now passed on, would probably help with that.

"Mister Guard, sir?" she says, turning to face one of the gate guards before approaching. "Would you be able to direct me to an inn, or perhaps a tavern? It's my first time in this fine city, and I've traveled an awfully long way today. I'd like to find some place to eat, drink and relax." Her Darokin isn't quite perfect, but it's been some time since she had to use it instead of her native tongue.

Fan
2013-11-22, 02:31 PM
Jagger Jack, East Gate.

Jack was no stranger to large cities and slums, this place being a veritable oasis in comparison to the place he'd grown up in, stallion in question bore a mottled grey coat bearing a number of leathery scars, and a fiery red mane with an obvious comb over in a spot on the back. All of this was of course, dwarfed by the OH MY GOD HUGE hammer on his back, the thing easily the size of a horse and yet it bounced along casually on his back, held in place by a few leather straps that kept it fashioned.

Sighing to himself, he decided that ye verily he did indeed need a drink, and set off towards the tavern, the clink of mail on steel as he navigated the city scape. For where did adventure start, but in that place of tales tall, and truths taller?

Lost_Deep
2013-11-22, 03:10 PM
Aaron Nomys, East Gate

A Hin enters the gate, walking along quietly. He's wearing a dark blue robe of sorts, but under a chain shirt that seems to be specifically treated to be silent and reflect no light. His light boots make little noise, and his gloved hands are shoved into some pockets.

His hood is pulled forward, shading his face. That's not really, necessary, though, as anyone who tries to see his face will find it obscured by a simple mask. Two black spots for eyes, a smaller one where the mouth should be.

As he makes his way through the city, he's going to eventually step into a tavern. If possible, he's going to choose a tavern that looks to be frequented by travelers.

Rebonack
2013-11-22, 04:02 PM
[The North Gate]

The guards in question happen to be rather presentable looking fellows clad in the fairly colorful and somewhat poofy outfits along with a well maintained breastplate and one of those tall dome-shaped helmets with a long plume sticking out of the top. Both are armed with halberds that look like they would be more at home in a parade than bringing down violent justice on any criminal scum.

One of the two humans has an almost comically large waxed mustache. The other is clean-faced.

"Well a fine day to you, miss," Mustache replies. As he speaks his furry lip-display twitches and wavers as if it were trying to escape from his face. "I hope your travels to our fair city weren't too taxing. If you're looking for quiet lodging the Inn of the Prancing Pony is peaceful enough. It's in the eastern quarter of the city, on the hill over yonder."

He points at a high part of the town visible above the shops and booths.

"It has a lovely view of the bay and it's well favored among the caravaners since the adventurer types tend to steer clear of it."

[The East Gate]

The state of the East Gate is much as it is at the west. The only major difference being the number of hin in this part of the town is proportionately larger. Which is to be expected, considering that the East Gate does in fact follow the highway into the Five Shires.

Adventurers in general are hardly an odd sight in Athenos. After all, the caravaners often times hired them for protection as they trekked across the vast and often times dangerous highways and byways of Brun. So a fellow with a weapon and mail isn't an uncommon sight.

Though... one lugging around a hammer a few sizes larger than what should be physically possible to carry? That raises a few eyebrows. More than one child pulls on a parent's sleeve and points, only to be admonished by said parent not to point at the adventurer.

Taverns, oddly enough, seem to be a bit lacking in this part of town. The eastern quarter of the city is a bit upscale, after all. Maybe they should ask for directions instead of wandering aimlessly?

Fan
2013-11-22, 06:46 PM
Jagger smirks, heroes always drew attention, the most heroic of heroes tended to draw entire crowds! Yes, it was already starting. Soon enough he'd be the champion of these people and living proof that you don't need magic to be a legend.

Leaning his muzzle down, he bit down down and unbundled his scarf, allowing it to billow out dramatically behind him as he decided to do what he did best. Get people's attention. Standing up on the nearest podium and or soap box he could fine he bellows out in a powerful tenor.

"CITIZENS OF ATHENOS, FEAR NOT, FOR I HAVE COME FROM REALMS BEYOND, BROKEN THE BONDS OF SLAVERY, AND TRAVERSED MANY MILES TO COME HERE, YOUR TROUBLES ARE OVER, ANY BEAST, MONSTER, OR BANDIT THAT ASSAILS YOU MAY NOW KNOW FEAR, FOR I HAVE ARRIVED! NOW, IF SOMEONE COULD DIRECT ME TO THE NEAREST TAVERN, I MUST COLLECT INFORMATION AND SLAKE MY THIRST!"

Lost_Deep
2013-11-22, 07:23 PM
East Gate

Oh... a pony.

Aaron had seen a number of ponies, and always wondered if they were a bit more eccentric than the other races. On average. Obviously this one was not a representative of the whole, but still.

In any case, Aaron will watch to see if anyone gives him directions. No point bugging anyone himself if someone else was going to bug people for him.

Derjuin
2013-11-22, 10:25 PM
Star Sapphire, North Gate

"Excellent, thank you very much!" she dips her head into a grateful bow. "A quiet evening sounds perfect. May you have a wonderful rest of the day, kind sirs." Before trotting off in the direction of this Prancing Pony Inn, Star gives a smile-and-nod to the other guard at the gate.

On her way, she keeps her attention on the road, but glances from side to side to see what kind of shops and other buildings are on this particular thoroughfare.

Terumitsu
2013-11-22, 11:00 PM
[The North Gate]

While not exactly clad in shining armor nor looking particularly knightly and not even riding his clearly not white horse, Franz Leopold nevertheless had the gall to walk through the northern gates.

The nerve of that guy.

A nearby guard, though, may find himself being questioned in short order as Franz was a bit road-weary. He was followed quite closely by a chesnut Shire with flaxen 'stockings' which looked to be lacking a bit or bridal. It also seemed to be more attentive than most animals of it's kind as well although it might be hard to catch on that particular bit. In any case, the words of the moment were: "Pardon, but could you point me to where I could find a place to rest and put my friend here to stable?" He was gently spoken sort, it would seem.

Chaotic Bob
2013-11-22, 11:20 PM
[Winter Hymn: North Gate]

Another stranger for the city full of strangers.

The latest is a bat-winged quadruped, with a slightly weary but nonetheless friendly smile stuck to his face.
All the better for talking to gate guards with, without getting stabbed in the face for being a criminal suspect. Or something.

A blackened ring in the left ear, another (shinier) ring holding the back of his mane together, and a little hand-shaped amulet around his neck seem to be his only unique, overt possessions. Simple mail armor and saddlebags don't really mean much on travelers.
All the better for not intimidating the guards and getting stabbed for being a criminal suspect. Or something.

Suitably prepared to not suffer painful mistakes, Hymn addresses the guards as he moves to the gate.
"Could I get directions to the nearest point of overnight lodgings?"

Keep this simple and to the point.

(In the spirit of being not-fond of lines/waiting, Hymn will talk to whichever guard doesn't answer Leopold first. He'd rather keep moving.)

Rebonack
2013-11-23, 12:54 AM
[North Gate]

Both guards tip their silly looking plumed helmets to Star as she departs. The way is, as one might expect from their description, in one of the nicer parts of the city. Which isn't to say the portion she's in isn't nice. The northern part of the city is given over to mostly smaller booths and less ostentatious shops, the sort that sell sundry items of every day use. There's an inn and tavern here as well, the Inn of the Slumbering Trent, but judging from the characters outside it has a much more adventurous and lowbrow clientele than Star's destination.

Does she choose to stop and investigate, or continue on to the Inn of the Prancing Pony?

Meanwhile!

The soft-spoken knightly fellow is given an appraising look. They get adventurers through here all the time, but something about this guy just seems to speak 'trustworthy' to the guards. An adventurer, sure. But not the sort that would be causing trouble for them. In fact, maybe he could be useful...

"Well, sir," Mustache replies, his facial fur gyrating manically, "Some of the best stables to be had are at the Slumbering Trent. It's none too far from here, just down the way in fact."

He points in the direction in question.

"That establishment is known to get somewhat rowdy on occasion. But I suspect a fellow of your standing would be able to quiet it a bit by presence alone," Mustache continues, giving a polite bow to a passerby. When he speaks again his tone lowers slightly. "There's a fellow who frequents there, a Thyatian named Marcus Deciminius, who has been getting drunk of late and causing some trouble. We're going to be having a rather important visit here in the city today and if some kind traveler were willing to prevent any potential brouhaha at the Slumbering Trent we would be much obliged."

That sounds suspiciously like a quest!

Also meanwhile!

The significantly younger and significantly more clean-shaven guard gives Hymn a curious look. It's one of those 'am I seeing this right?' sorts of looks. There's a decent chance that he hasn't ever met a bat pony before. While pegasi certainly tend to be far ranging, their leathery-winged cousins aren't quite as common of a sight beyond the boarders of Equestria.

"Uh, well. Sure thing... sir?" the guard replies. He's at least 80% certain that the pony is male. He tends to have a hard time telling them apart, sometimes. Though those dragon wings are pretty distinctive. "The Inn of the Slumbering Trent isn't too far from here. Right down the main road, you can't miss it."

[East Gate]

Yes.

A pony.

And what a pony!

As Jagger heroically leaps atop a nearby stack of crates and begins his oration the crowd freezes. His words are sublime, his every motion moving beyond description. As he speaks a breeze picks up, sending his scarf fluttering in the wind. Where before he had been given looks of quiet uncertainty he's now regarded with gobsmacked awe.

It takes a good ten seconds for anyone to process his question.

Though the first to reply is a somewhat disheveled and desperate looking human. "Sir, you said you had broken the bonds of slavery, is that right? I know then that you're truly a champion of pure heart. Would you join me at the Inn of the Prancing Pony? I have great need of the services of a hero and I wish to discuss the matter with you further away from prying ears."

The earth pony guard Aaron was trying to talk with is looking somewhat stricken by the whole scene and replies with little more than a non-committal grunt. Never before had she seen such a peerless display in all her years! It might take some effort to get her attention.

Fan
2013-11-23, 01:03 AM
[North Gate]

Both guards tip their silly looking plumed helmets to Star as she departs. The way is, as one might expect from their description, in one of the nicer parts of the city. Which isn't to say the portion she's in isn't nice. The northern part of the city is given over to mostly smaller booths and less ostentatious shops, the sort that sell sundry items of every day use. There's an inn and tavern here as well, the Inn of the Slumbering Trent, but judging from the characters outside it has a much more adventurous and lowbrow clientele than Star's destination.

Does she choose to stop and investigate, or continue on to the Inn of the Prancing Pony?

Meanwhile!

The soft-spoken knightly fellow is given an appraising look. They get adventurers through here all the time, but something about this guy just seems to speak 'trustworthy' to the guards. An adventurer, sure. But not the sort that would be causing trouble for them. In fact, maybe he could be useful...

"Well, sir," Mustache replies, his facial fur gyrating manically, "Some of the best stables to be had are at the Slumbering Trent. It's none too far from here, just down the way in fact."

He points in the direction in question.

"That establishment is known to get somewhat rowdy on occasion. But I suspect a fellow of your standing would be able to quiet it a bit by presence alone," Mustache continues, giving a polite bow to a passerby. When he speaks again his tone lowers slightly. "There's a fellow who frequents there, a Thyatian named Marcus Deciminius, who has been getting drunk of late and causing some trouble. We're going to be having a rather important visit here in the city today and if some kind traveler were willing to prevent any potential brouhaha at the Slumbering Trent we would be much obliged."

That sounds suspiciously like a quest!

Also meanwhile!

The significantly younger and significantly more clean-shaven guard gives Hymn a curious look. It's one of those 'am I seeing this right?' sorts of looks. There's a decent chance that he hasn't ever met a bat pony before. While pegasi certainly tend to be far ranging, their leathery-winged cousins aren't quite as common of a sight beyond the boarders of Equestria.

"Uh, well. Sure thing... sir?" the guard replies. He's at least 80% certain that the pony is male. He tends to have a hard time telling them apart, sometimes. Though those dragon wings are pretty distinctive. "The Inn of the Slumbering Trent isn't too far from here. Right down the main road, you can't miss it."

[East Gate]

Yes.

A pony.

And what a pony!

As Jagger heroically leaps atop a nearby stack of crates and begins his oration the crowd freezes. His words are sublime, his every motion moving beyond description. As he speaks a breeze picks up, sending his scarf fluttering in the wind. Where before he had been given looks of quiet uncertainty he's now regarded with gobsmacked awe.

It takes a good ten seconds for anyone to process his question.

Though the first to reply is a somewhat disheveled and desperate looking human. "Sir, you said you had broken the bonds of slavery, is that right? I know then that you're truly a champion of pure heart. Would you join me at the Inn of the Prancing Pony? I have great need of the services of a hero and I wish to discuss the matter with you further away from prying ears."

The earth pony guard Aaron was trying to talk with is looking somewhat stricken by the whole scene and replies with little more than a non-committal grunt. Never before had she seen such a peerless display in all her years! It might take some effort to get her attention.

[East Gate, Jagger Jack. Legendary Hero in the making.]

"Why yes I have fair citizen, it's quite the harrowing tale. All daring do, fisticuffs, romance, and betrayal. Surely though, your need for assistance is greater than the crowd's need to hear one of my boring tales of adventure and danger. Let us be off! For in the Code of the Hero: Rule Number 23: A hero is born yes, but he is KNOWN through his deeds and accomplishments. Without them he is nothing! Let us be off, and let us not waste a moment more, for where there is danger, where there seems to be no hope left, you can count on JAGGER JACK to save the day!"

He says, puffing out his chest pridefully, trotting along behind the pony who'd identified himself as being in need of aide, doing his best to flash that heroic, all too cocky, grin back at the crowd at any chance he got. Ah, this was what he desired, to be seen and respected by the people around him for his deeds and his words. This was the start of the path of a hero, and one he would never back down from!

Chaotic Bob
2013-11-23, 01:41 AM
[North Gate: Winter Hymn]

"Hmm."
Hymn acquires a curious look of his own, although it's directed at the other guard.

Only for a moment, before giving a gracious little head bop to the one that gave him directions.
"Thank you very much. Be safe."
Time to skadoodle through the gate!

And wait for this other fellow to walk by.

Lost_Deep
2013-11-23, 11:13 AM
East Gate, in Jagger Jack's Wake

Aaron was not previously talking to a guard, but now will move over to a guard a bit away from the performance.

"If you have a moment, (Sir/Madam), I would like directions. I am new to this city, and would appreciate it if you would give me directions to the Prancing Pony Inn."

Rebonack
2013-11-23, 01:27 PM
[East Gate]

"Huh?" the guard, an unremarkable looking human male, replies. "The inn? It's up the hill, that way?"

The way in question is pointed at.

"They might not be so very appreciative of the mask, though."

It's a respectable establishment after all. And the masked munchkin looks a bit shady. Probably because he is a bit shady.

Meanwhile!

Not a pony! A disheveled looking human with a prominent bald spot and the air of a fellow who happens to be sick with worry. No doubt something profoundly tragic has been eating at his health. Surely the case since he needs a hero to champion his cause.

But what could it be?

The walk up through the nicer party of town should be relatively uneventful, though Baldspot keeps glancing at every dark crevice as if expecting some awful villain to be lurking in wait.

The inn itself is quite nice, all said. A sizable residence with a surprisingly large set of stables for the livestock of the well to do caravaners who often bed down at the inn. Smoke curls from several chimneys, filling the air with the sharp scent of wood smoke and good food.

Lost_Deep
2013-11-23, 04:49 PM
East Gate

"Then perhaps you could point me to a more lenient establishment?" Aaron asks casually. He knows there are certain places where he is not appreciated. That's fine by him; he generally doesn't appreciate them, either.

Fan
2013-11-23, 04:56 PM
"Ah, a fine looking establishment. Though looks can be deceiving. Let us get in, and enjoy a few drinks my friend. You are far too worried, you have the assistance of a true hero now you know?"

Jagger Jack says, laughing boisterously as he walks confidently into the tavern, leaning down to reset his scarf in it's former position around his neck. Billow scarves and heroic poses were great for performances and speeches, but hardly good table manners.

He'd saunter over, and take a seat at the bar, shouting towards the bar tender.

"MY GOOD MAN, COULD I TROUBLE YOU FOR A PINT OF YOUR FINEST ALE? I HAVE TRAVELED FAR AND MY THIRST IS AS MIGHTY AS ANY FOE I HAVE VANQUISHED!"

Derjuin
2013-11-23, 06:07 PM
Star Sapphire

On the way, another establishment catches her eye. Maybe one where she can find some poor folks to help out, after she collects herself. The journey to Athenos wasn't quite harrowing, but long - thoughts of travel still cluttered her mind.

Maybe another time, she makes a mental note of the place's location and continues on her way, up to the Prancing Pony. Upon entering, she immediately notices a very loud pony shouting about ale and vanquished foes. She rolls her eyes and chuckles, and sidles up to the bar.

"If it's not too much trouble, I'd just like a simple glass of water, is all. The road from Equestria is a long one, and the last leg has left me quite parched."

Terumitsu
2013-11-23, 07:35 PM
[North Gate]

The Sleeping Treant, a rather homely name after such a normally peaceful being. Although maybe a tad ironic considering most establishments were made from wood...

"Well I shall have to keep an eye out for this person, then." Franz said with a tired smile. "I thank you good sir. Here, have a drink or two when you get off duty on me. For your help." he said, offering a silver which, to his memory, should be enough for at least a few mugs of decent drink. He had been raised to tip well, after all.

And with that, he would make his way to the stables and tavern(?) indicated. It should be a nice stroll.

Gold changed from 48.7 to 48.6

Rebonack
2013-11-23, 08:27 PM
[East Gate]

Talk regarding the absurdly heroic pony seems to be spreading quickly already...

Regardless of that the guard replies to the totally-not-shy-guy with a nod. "Of course. There's the Slumbering Trent in the north part of town. Just follow the main road and you should pass it on your left."

Guards sure are good for directions!

Also good at wearing stylish poofy pants and plumed helmets.

Inn of the Prancing Pony]

The inn, true to the guard's description, is a rather subdued and well to do location. Everyone here looks like a reputable business person rather than some kind of a free-wheeling adventurer.

Except, of course, for that guy.

You know the one.

The bartender gives a nod and fetches the water for Star. Normally water in a ye olde setting isn't exactly safe to drink, but with the prevalence of easy to use magic that can conjure up or purify water people can actually drink the stuff without getting cholera!

Isn't that nice?

"My brother rides with the caravans that go through there. Up Crystal Pass and then down into Sind," the bartender comments conversationally. "Never been to Equestria myself. I hear you folk have nice weather."

[B]Meanwhile!

Jagger totally gets his booze! Baldspot slides up along side him and passes the pony a bag with fifteen gold daros in it. Score, monies!

"Payment ahead of time to show you that I mean well, my friend. I can pay you more if," he pauses and glances about furtively again. "If you can help me. I'm sure you know that slavery is illegal in Darokin. Officially illegal. But the laws don't prevent the transport of slaves through our nation. And that means they're often brought here to be sold and shipped over the sea."

How repugnant!

"There are scum in this city who will take in children under the guise of apprenticing them only to sell them off over seas. This evil weighs heavily on my heart and I would like nothing more to see these scoundrels brought to justice. The city officials turn a blind eye on it, that's why I need a hero to help."

[Toward the Slumbering Trent]

The guard is pleasantly surprised when he's given a silver tendrid! He really wasn't expecting a tip. He was just hoping that a do-gooder type would help make his job a little easier.

As a result his mustache twitches in confusion. "Ah, well, thank you sir."

The trip to the Slumbering Trent shouldn't be too much hassle assuming something strange doesn't happen along the way. Never know who you might run into on the city streets.

Fan
2013-11-23, 08:53 PM
[East Gate]

Talk regarding the absurdly heroic pony seems to be spreading quickly already...

Regardless of that the guard replies to the totally-not-shy-guy with a nod. "Of course. There's the Slumbering Trent in the north part of town. Just follow the main road and you should pass it on your left."

Guards sure are good for directions!

Also good at wearing stylish poofy pants and plumed helmets.

Inn of the Prancing Pony]

The inn, true to the guard's description, is a rather subdued and well to do location. Everyone here looks like a reputable business person rather than some kind of a free-wheeling adventurer.

Except, of course, for that guy.

You know the one.

The bartender gives a nod and fetches the water for Star. Normally water in a ye olde setting isn't exactly safe to drink, but with the prevalence of easy to use magic that can conjure up or purify water people can actually drink the stuff without getting cholera!

Isn't that nice?

"My brother rides with the caravans that go through there. Up Crystal Pass and then down into Sind," the bartender comments conversationally. "Never been to Equestria myself. I hear you folk have nice weather."

[B]Meanwhile!

Jagger totally gets his booze! Baldspot slides up along side him and passes the pony a bag with fifteen gold daros in it. Score, monies!

"Payment ahead of time to show you that I mean well, my friend. I can pay you more if," he pauses and glances about furtively again. "If you can help me. I'm sure you know that slavery is illegal in Darokin. Officially illegal. But the laws don't prevent the transport of slaves through our nation. And that means they're often brought here to be sold and shipped over the sea."

How repugnant!

"There are scum in this city who will take in children under the guise of apprenticing them only to sell them off over seas. This evil weighs heavily on my heart and I would like nothing more to see these scoundrels brought to justice. The city officials turn a blind eye on it, that's why I need a hero to help."

The guard is pleasantly surprised when he's given a silver tendrid! He really wasn't expecting a tip. He was just hoping that a do-gooder type would help make his job a little easier.

As a result his mustache twitches in confusion. "Ah, well, thank you sir."

The trip to the Slumbering Trent shouldn't be too much hassle assuming something strange doesn't happen along the way. Never know who you might run into on the city streets.

Jagger Jack seems to be.. crying, tears streaming down his face as he attempts to hide his emotional shame behind a hoof. Trafficking children! Oh, those who would taint the innocent are the most repugnant of beings, and the loss of such beautiful innocence is one the world, that Jack, cannot bear.

Reaching over to down the ale in a single go, each chug bringing with it the accompanied gulping noise before Jack set it down, the tears gone from his eyes and replaced with fire!

"Your story has moved me. For as a former slave myself I cannot abide such atrocities! HEAR ME PEOPLE, NO MORE SHALL YOU FEAR YOUR CHILDREN BEING SNATCHED BY THOSE WHO WOULD PROMISE THEM A FUTURE. NO MORE SHALL A SINGLE CHILD KNOW THE CRUEL AND UNFORGIVING TORMENT THAT IS SLAVERY WHERE I MAY YET FIND THE VILE VILLAINS WHO WOULD PERPETRATE SUCH ACTS!"

He stands, placing one immaculate foreleg onto the table, looking directly into the eyes of his employer as he said.

"I will help the moment you identify where these base villains are! Code of the Hero Rule #1: When someone cries out for help, a hero never turns them away! To be a hero is to always assist those in need."

He says, though he still pockets the money. Being a hero isn't cheap after all.

Derjuin
2013-11-23, 09:29 PM
Star Sapphire, at the Prancing Pony

Having decided to rest for the day, Star begins to drink her water - with a nod and a "Thank you," to the bartender, of course - until she (totally not on purpose) overhears the exceptionally loud patron next to her.

Children being snatched away? Sold into slavery?!

She quickly sets (via telekinesis, of course) her glass of water back down, turning to the patron beside her. "What is this, of child slavery - of kidnapping? Such abhorrent things!" Unlike her previous encounters with the townsfolk, she speaks Equestrian with the equine fellow. "If you are going to move against this...this atrocity, I am more than willing to assist," she assures him.

Lost_Deep
2013-11-23, 09:58 PM
East Gate to The Slumbering Trent

Aaron will thank the man kindly and then head off to The Slumbering Trent. It's likely that he can find some kind of job there. It's usually the way he does things.

Fan
2013-11-23, 11:55 PM

Having decided to rest for the day, Star begins to drink her water - with a nod and a "Thank you," to the bartender, of course - until she (totally not on purpose) overhears the exceptionally loud patron next to her.

Children being snatched away? Sold into slavery?!

She quickly sets (via telekinesis, of course) her glass of water back down, turning to the patron beside her. "What is this, of child slavery - of kidnapping? Such abhorrent things!" Unlike her previous encounters with the townsfolk, she speaks Equestrian with the equine fellow. "If you are going to move against this...this atrocity, I am more than willing to assist," she assures him.

He replies in Equestrian, respecting that if someone were to initiate a conversation in a language, a true hero would oblige their simple request. However, a true hero would also confirm that there was another hero, or heroine as it may be, that wished to aide him rather than merely a concerned citizen.

"Of course Madam, I am no stranger to the benefits of team work, however. And I hope you'll forgive me this one question. How can I ascertain that you are in fact a fellow hero? For being a hero is more than muscle, or wit. It is COURAGE. A true hero does not think "What if I had a magic weapon or spell. Whether one has those matters not! A true hero needs only what they have in here.

He puts a hoof to his mail covered chest over where his heart is, his eyes burning with a passionate fire.

"One's beliefs, and dedication to COURAGE AND JUSTICE. The burning desire to help those that cannot help themselves. To fight when it seems all hope is lost. THAT IS THE HEART OF A HERO! So tell me, Ms, and I must know if you are to accompany me. Do you have the heart of a hero?"

Chaotic Bob
2013-11-23, 11:59 PM
[North Gate, Winter Hymn]

Franz comes and goes.

Hymn mulls over the flight of fancy for a few moments, whether this is actually worth the time threatening to be used by it.
For at least two important reasons, it is deemed so.

And with that, he rather placidly trots after the other traveler, a fair ways back.

Derjuin
2013-11-24, 12:31 AM

"The heart of a hero...I've never considered it, honestly. Regardless, I can't sit by while these people suffer this terror - slavery is a horrid thing, and to trick and kidnap children, then sell them...it is absolutely depraved." She tugs her wizarding hat down, making sure it's on tight for what might turn into a run, should the two set out immediately.

"It must be stopped. I won't be able to rest until it is."

Fan
2013-11-24, 01:13 AM

"The heart of a hero...I've never considered it, honestly. Regardless, I can't sit by while these people suffer this terror - slavery is a horrid thing, and to trick and kidnap children, then sell them...it is absolutely depraved." She tugs her wizarding hat down, making sure it's on tight for what might turn into a run, should the two set out immediately.

"It must be stopped. I won't be able to rest until it is."

Jack's eyes light up, alright! A fellow hero, a companion for his journey, and the Enkidu to his Gilgamesh. Truly, a hero needed someone to have his back. For without that someone, he was left vulnerable during his moments of rest or unwariness. However, the details of combat could wait until later, for now. They had work to do!

Turning to the balding human he resumes talking in Hooman.

"Very well then. You've lucked out. It seems you have the service of TWO noble heroes of love and justice. Hahahaha! Those Slavers don't stand a chance."

Terumitsu
2013-11-24, 02:31 AM

Well strange was probably going to find it's quota filled as Franz appeared to be carrying on a conversation with his horse. "Yes it is a nice place. Smell? That's probably the sea. Don't tell me you've never heard of.. Okay well it's like a huge pond so large you can't see the other side of. Yes it is pretty big. Ah, that looks like the stables there. ...Yes I'll bring you out something special before I go to bed." the horse didn't seem to be responding in any meaningful way which probably wasn't going to help his case with anyone who sought to call him a bit crazy.

Anyway, if there were no issues in stabling Flintlock, then into the Sleeping Treant he would go!

Rebonack
2013-11-24, 03:15 PM
[Inn of the Prancing Pony]

Wow is that guy ever a loud pony!

The fellow chatting with them looks a tad on the nervous side due to the yelling and stuff. Probably because he was hoping that this conversation would be quiet.

Ha!

Fat chance of that.

He motions with a hand to lower the volume.

"Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but please, it's best that the whole town doesn't know of this. Our foes are true villains and we don't want them getting word that we're moving against them."

[Inn of the Slumbering Trent]

Into the inn our heroes go!

It's smokey, loud, and has an atmosphere of high energy. Adventurers and travelers laugh, argue, and share stories in a most boisterous fashion! There's a large wooden post that dominates the center of the common room to help hold the roof up whilst at the same time serving a secondary purpose. The thing is covered in leaflets and scraps of parchment with job offerings written on them.

The Thyatian our hero was warned about doesn't seem to be standing out. At least not yet.

Fan
2013-11-24, 03:24 PM

Giving a derisive snort at the idea of approaching a foe who didn't know you were coming, he decides to tone it down for now at least. A true hero never attacked when his foes back was turned to him, but very well, it would serve their purposes this time for them to at least figure out where the enemy was first. THEN so the enemy has the chance to face them honorably, you confront them in broad daylight face to face.

"Very well then, who are these vile beings and where do they conduct their business? If you have that information, your problem will be handled by sunset."

Lost_Deep
2013-11-24, 03:24 PM
Inn of the Slumbering Trent

Aaron will order some mead and some food (He's still a hin under that mask, after all) and browse the job postings. He's lower on cash than he's comfortable being, but he still won't take just any job. Leg breaking isn't really suited for him...

Chaotic Bob
2013-11-24, 03:40 PM

Rather than creepily follow Franz to the stables as well, his follower veers off and heads straight to the Slumbering Trent.

A loud, very busy environment.
Very good for not sticking out at all.

Winter Hymn slips through the door and scans over the area. With a lack of obvious target, he then slips off to go lurk in the general vicinity of the job-posting board.
Easier to pretend to be interested in the job postings, while keeping an eye out on the rest of the place.

Terumitsu
2013-11-25, 01:46 AM

With his hoofed companion mostly put up for the moment and the fee for the night payed, that left him some time to figure out a way to pass the time. Well.. Heck, here was a crowd just waiting to be an audience and he might get free room and board from it if he managed well enough.

Taking a seat that looked like it wasn't occupied so he could set down his pack, Franz would ignore the job postings for the time being and instead pull the guitar that he just managed to keep in his bag despite it's shape and would beguin tuning up in a most nonchalant manner.

Once every key sounded like it should, though, he would just as soon start to play in earnest. A lively tune (http://youtu.be/J46eGwqzrxk) would be best for a lively place, at any rate. While not trained all that rigorously in the art of music, fiddling around since childhood to find out what sounded nice had at least brought him a little skill in such things. Hopefully, at least..

Perform check: [roll0]

Rebonack
2013-11-25, 03:27 PM

Ah job listings! The perfect place for an adventurer to find... well... an adventure. Adventures are cool, right?

Anywho!

There are no fewer than five postings requesting guards for caravans that will be setting out all across the Known World. And a flyer requesting aid with respect to a black dragon living in the nearby Malpheggi swamp that has been harassing villages and demanding tribute in coins. Though apparently not a very big dragon.

Often times it is the younger ones, full of guile and feeling invulnerable, that will go out and cause mayhem. Older dragons are usually content to just sleep on top of their heaps of loot.

And then music!

Nice music, too. That gets some feet tapping!

Lost_Deep
2013-11-25, 04:18 PM

A Dragon? Man. Even the young ones need a well-equipped party to take on. Most of the time, anyway. There are some heroes out there that can defeat dragons one-on-one, but they were few and far between.

Nonetheless, Aaron will look closely at the ad for dragonslayers. It's worth pondering, if nothing else, assuming they can put a group together.

Derjuin
2013-11-25, 10:55 PM

Star moves closer to the duo, engaging the haggardly man in the trade language. She keeps her voice quiet, trying to avoid raising (any more) suspicion. She slides her cup across with her, taking a sip before she begins.

"I will help you as well. But we need you to point us in the right direction. If there is a better place to meet and discuss this, then let us be off to it." She generally avoids eye contact with him, taking further sips in between sentences, and finishing her water off with a mighty quaff.

"Thank you, kind sir!" she chirps to the bartender; she lifts a silver coin from her bag and places it on the bar. "Will this be enough?"

Terumitsu
2013-11-26, 12:47 AM

Well, maybe another few songs wouldn't hurt. Would pass the time until supper at least. So after another bit of strumming that was hopefully passable, Franz would set aside the instrument and go about attending to the needs typical to mortal kind. Or at least in the realm of food.

There would be plenty of time in between to browse the job listings. The one that mentioned a dragon, however, was of the greatest interest to him. Really it had nothing to do with heroism or making a name so much as it appeared to be the most pressing matter of those listed. At least, to him, it seemed clear that there was only a chance that a caravan could be attacked being measured up against a definite threat. And, well, he might get to chat with a dragon too. That seemed like it would be pretty interesting. But mostly the part about doing definite and measurable good over what might very well be only of theoretical benifit.

Perform again! [roll0]

Rebonack
2013-11-26, 02:48 PM

"That'll do, miss," the bartender replies simply. Thankfully most currencies are accepted in Darokin without much trouble. Especially in larger cities. A glass of water is no real problem, though in some of the more established inland shops one can expect a hefty markup if one isn't using the local coin.

Which is what money changers are good for!

But in a trading port like this one? A tenth Bit coin will work just fine.

Bladspot gives a small sigh. "This place is fine for talking. The sorts of merchants who would take part in this illicit traffic wouldn't show their faces here. Still, some caution is better than none."

That said, he pulls out a small map and spreads it on the table for the ponies to see. A map of the city! How useful. He points at a building near the water front.

"I'm not completely sure where they operate. However, one of their abductors lives here. If you can corner and question him, you should be able to learn where they keep the children they're planning to ship to the Thyatian slave markets."

Well, there is a description of the dragon. A brief one at least. Apparently the critter isn't much larger than a horse. Still a dangerous, arrogant thug to be sure, but by no means the sort of dragon that would be laying waste to whole cities if left unchecked. Mostly just causing trouble for poor honest folk who really can't afford to give up what livelihood they have.

There wouldn't be much profit to be made, likely. The village of Seirdown isn't exactly large by any means and according to the flier they're really hoping the dragon's treasure (mostly goods stolen from them) can be returned. They're willing to pay, yes, but it probably won't be a very profitable venture.

That probably explains why no one has pulled the flier down and taken the job yet.

In unrelated news several people in the inn are giving Hymn curios looks. A rather sloshed looking Thyatian fellow finally decides to speak up and gives the pony a drunken grin. "So... did a dragon screw your mother? That how you got those wings?"

Bat ponies aren't exactly well known outside Equestria.

Fan
2013-11-26, 06:32 PM
[Prancing Pony Inn]

Jagger Jack looks over the map, thoughtfully memorizing what he can of the map for later use. Aside from that he nods once, looks to his companion, nods again, looks back to his employer nods again, and finally nods again to himself.

"Very well then! If you have nothing else for us we shall set out post haste!"

Chaotic Bob
2013-11-27, 01:01 AM

Hymn gives a somewhat slow blink, taking a moment to realize that a largely inconsequential drunkard is addressing him.
Too busy pretending to read and keeping an eye out for more interesting things.

He supplies a meager smile for the poor fellow and a shrug.
"Were that true, perhaps I would be more interesting. Unfortunately, no."
Then he proceeds to resume ignoring the drunkard.

Efforts to stand around and be inconspicuous aren't really going to work if everyone in here is eyeballing him for his exoticism.
This poses a mild problem.
Or perhaps not. Draw in enough attention and perhaps the weed he seeks will make itself known...

Terumitsu
2013-11-27, 02:19 AM

Well, not everything had to be done for pay. It wasn't like he didn't have enough coin on hand to last him a fair amount of time if be was smart with it. Besides, the experience of it seemed like it would be quite interesting, all things said.

Hmm.. A rowdy Thyatian stirred memories of earlier that day and Franz pocketed the notice about the dragon before walking over to the man, intoning as pleasently as he could: "Might your name be Markus?" Franz would take the moment to look the man over to see if be might make a guess at his standing and general state as those might be helpful factors for a rather foolhardy idea that had just popped into his head.

Derjuin
2013-11-27, 06:40 PM

Looking over the map, Star makes out the most plausible paths to the dockside, tracing a few of them with her hoof. She looks to the man with the map and smiles. "We are on the case - I promise you we will do our best in cleaning this abomination from the city."

She turns to her compatriot and gestures him close for a moment.

"Allow me fifteen minutes of rest - I will prepare for us some spells in case things get violent." She speaks to him in hushed Equestrian, and looks around for a quiet, out-of-the-way table with few nearby patrons to begin the meditation to prepare a few new spells.

Looking for a spot - most likely a corner table or booth - which would allow me a little peace and quiet (I assume since this is a nice place, the patrons aren't rowdy) for 15 minutes to prepare two new 2nd level spells (two Luminous Armors). If it's not possible, Star will simply leave with the other pone.

Lost_Deep
2013-11-27, 08:23 PM

Someone else takes the Dragon flier. That's fine by Aaron. He instead loos through the caravan guard duties. The trick is, his set of skills is not best for guarding caravans.

Rebonack
2013-11-28, 12:00 AM

"Thank you, both of you. Should you succeed the good people of Athenos will owe you a great debt of gratitude."

Probably a debt of cash, too.

Finding a quiet place to meditate should be easy enough. The inn is relatively quiet to begin with and folks know better than to bug a wizard who is meditating.

Well, most folks know about that, anyway.

Hopefully a certain somepony manages to reign himself in and avoids being loud at Star for the next few minutes so she can do her thing.

The drunk is about to say something else, likely something disparaging, to the bat pony, but he's suddenly interrupted!

He looks the paladin up and down, an inebriated waver to his attempted stoic stance. "Yeah, that's me? What of it?"

As for the fliers...

To say that there are 'several' would be a pretty drastic understatement. There are quite literally caravans heading off to every land-bound nation in the Known World! Anywhere in particular our little masked friend might like to travel?

Terumitsu
2013-11-28, 07:05 PM

Fishing his wallet out of his pocket, Franz gave a perfectly harmless smile and said: "Oh good! I had heard you were one to look out for as you are one who really knows their drink around here. As a traveler, I'm less familiar with the variety of drink around here so I have a proposition: I'd like to get your opinion on several brews. Now, I understand you may need to have samples to refresh your memory so I'm willing to pay for drink expenses as well as your services rendered. Does this seem like an amicable deal to you?" he asked. It seemed like it would be the best idea to let the drunk simply take care of himself and get the man a room once be has enough to pass out. Sure it would be a bit of a hit to his pocketbook but it would also allow him to keep a much closer eye on the man without him knowing

And besides, he was quite honestly offering not just free booze but to also pay him after he was done. That had to count for something.

Fan
2013-11-28, 11:11 PM
"Very well, then let us have a few drinks to commemorate our agreement! TO GLORY AND CONQUEST!"

He says slamming down one of the gold coins from the pre pay pouch onto the table, laughing as he ordered as many of the innkeepers drink as one of these could get him.

He would then proceed to pass out drinks to any man in the bar who didn't have one.

((Ale, if I so remember, is only 2 CP per mug, so. DRINKS ON JAGGER.)

Lost_Deep
2013-11-30, 12:36 PM

No, no there is not. After looking through a number of them, he decides to invert his approach and looks for fliers that are NOT about guarding caravans going hither and yon all across the world.

Aaron likes to travel, but the noise and bustle of caravans is not something that really appeals to him. Plus, it would keep him from enjoying the depth of any particular location.

Chaotic Bob
2013-11-30, 02:48 PM

Oh, there's the one he followed here.

...this one was the one mentioned by the guard?
Hymn expected slightly more pomp and obnoxiousness than a passing mother comment.
Well then, that was easy.

Franz probably has this under control then.
Probably.

Stick around just in case, lurk around a nearby table and keep an eye on things.
Have to make sure this works out correctly.
Good deeds lead to good leads, after all.

Rebonack
2013-11-30, 03:03 PM
No, not bondage like that. Geeze.

Our heroes depart and head for the waterfront. Or more specifically a particular house on the waterfront. It's a fairly run down looking building, its roof sagging and its timbers weathered by salt and sea air. The sort of building that one would just as well ignore the existence of and continue on to the heart of the city where one doesn't feel the beady eyes of warf rats on their ankles.

And speaking of eyes...

As they approach Star will notices a rather furtive individual duck off into the shadows of a cluttered alley way.

The drunkard sways slightly as the paladin speaks.

This guy is offering him free booze AND the chance to act like a know-it-all? Goodness, how could this get any better?

"Well my friend, that sounds like a fine plan to me. We should start with the Hallerheim stout, if you want my expert opinion."

What a clever paladin. A passed out trouble maker makes very little trouble.

[I]Meanwhile!

Alas, caravans and the now missing dragon flier are the extent of jobs on the job post. After all, guarding caravaners is a pretty common pass time around here and there's plenty of demand for adventurers to fill that much needed role.

Though if he isn't fond of that idea maybe the hin should speak with that human who took the flier? Surely one person wouldn't be able to deal with a dragon alone. Even a small one.

Derjuin
2013-11-30, 08:37 PM
Star Sapphire at the Bonding House

"They may already suspect something," Star whispers to her comrade in Equestrian. Hopefully the local thugs didn't bother to learn a language other than their own...

"We should be quick about this. I don't want to cast the armor spells yet - they'll attract way more attention. If worst comes to worst, I'll use them."

Fan
2013-12-01, 04:11 AM
[House of Bondage~]
"HAH! If they expect us and remain in their abode then they underestimate the power of a hero's' heart! Let us be off. A simple buyers approach is all that's needed, if they decline. Well... when the place is leveled we can say we tried the peaceful approach!"

He says, speaking in a normal tone, but for HIM that's a whisper. Trotting towards the door in a direct manner, flashing the best smile he can with his medieval lack of dental care smile, and raising a hoof he'll rap on the door.

A hero never attacks from behind after all. A hero faces his enemy head on without any regrets no matter how great or vile!

"Good sirs! I have need of your services, and a purse burgeoning with coin with which to pay!"

If this place wanted to keep up it's image of serving as an apprenticing
vendor, then they'd have to at the very least answer the door. Failing that, well, hammers were made for smashing. As brash as he was, he had a good head on his shoulders.

Lost_Deep
2013-12-01, 03:24 PM

Aaron looks over at the man who took the flier. Now he's... making a drunk man even drunker? That's either foolishness or a cunning plan. Aaron will quietly watch.

Terumitsu
2013-12-01, 10:44 PM

Franz will listen and even produce his notebook from his pack to jot down all the information he might get. He had said he wanted someone to tell him about the brews, after all, and he wasn't about to be called a liar by not having some way to remember it later. Besides, it might actually come in handy if only to make his own decisions on drink later on.

In any case, he'll pay for drink until the man drinks himself asleep. Or at least becomes too drunk to be of any harm to anyone. And as a final gesture, he would pay for a good room for the man as well as leave a payment of (ten gold equivelent) on the bedside table as promised.

Hopefully Markus will find uses for it other than just turning it into more ale. Maybe that likely hangover after this will be a good preventative against that.

Chaotic Bob
2013-12-02, 10:44 PM

Leading the fool into a drunken stupor is certainly an answer.
Perhaps not the most entirely guaranteed answer...

But the man can't be "disappeared" without official sanctions, or things get all...dicey with local inhabitants. Being branded a murderer does not help with building positive image.

Slightly new plan then.
Time for Hymn to fetch himself a room. Wonder how much it costs to get a neighboring room to a certain someone?

Rebonack
2013-12-03, 02:32 PM
[House of Bondage]

A slat opens up in the door and a pair of beady eyes peer out at the ponies. "Eh? And what services are you interested in?" the greasy sounding fellow inside inquires.

He's not opening the door!

Is it time for plan B yet?

Markus gets pretty loud right before the end, but his pride isn't about to allow him to stop drinking before this random guy he just met has. He goes down without incident.

It turns out that a paladin's divine fortitude allows him to easily outlast some random already-drunk artisan. Who knew?

The innkeep gives Franz a silent 'thankyou' for keeping the mouthy Thyatian out of trouble and doesn't charge for the room. He'll probably get the money from Markus later.

Turns out the inn rooms cost two gold Daros per day. Pretty standard fair, really. They're furnished quite simply with a bed and a few amenities, including a chamber pot that's probably going to be vomited all over in the near future. It would be easy enough for Hymn to acquire one.

When Franz returns to the common room a rather burly looking northman will aim to slap him on the back in greeting. "Well met, friend! What a way to put that braggart in place, yes? The whole tavern was rooting for you."

Terumitsu
2013-12-03, 10:08 PM

A bit of a stagger from the surprised slap on the back but no harm done, really. "Hah. You give me too much credit. After all the time I've spent keeping the peace back home, it just comes as habit now..." he said with a sheepish sort of grin. Which was sorta true, really.

"In any case, I suppose rather than holding down his ale, the ale will be holding him down for a good while." he said, making a bit of a bad joke.

Derjuin
2013-12-05, 02:22 PM
Star Sapphire, at the Greasy Fellow's Place

Star steps towards the door, looking up to the slat. "We're sorry to bother you, but we were looking for a tutor, or mentor perhaps, to take our child on as an apprentice. We'd heard you might be able to help?"

In case it's needed:

[roll0] bluff :smalleek:

wow, what a roll!

Chaotic Bob
2013-12-08, 07:58 PM

Simple room acquisition? Done! Sold to the moderately priced bidder.

Winter Hymn doesn't really have a problem coughing out two gold for a decent room.
Better than servitude or hacking off a hoof.

Which handles the initial bit of importance.
After this, it's a matter of talking to that fellow who boozed-up the unpleasant man. He's at least somewhat clever, if not more, so someone worth properly acquainting with.

Politely wait for the northman to end his little piece first, however.

Lost_Deep
2013-12-09, 09:46 AM

Aaron is also waiting for this clever fellow to finish up with his discussion to have a talk with him.

This might get rather awkward.

Fan
2013-12-09, 01:59 PM
[Jagger Jack, READY TO GO!]

Jagger Jack, for once in his life, remains quiet. His muzzle twitching as he does his best to attempt to restrain himself from bursting through the door. He despised this kind of treachery, but the path of many heroes involved duping their way into the stronghold of the enemy in order to destroy them from within!

Thus, like those before him he had to practice the virtues of patience and temperance.. surely.. ah hell. He can't keep this up much longer, any further delays and the BURNING DESIRE FOR JUSTICE would be too strong, he had to fight evil, and here it was staring him in the face! Surely, such a villain as this deserved destruction, but a destruction pushed back could secure the death of many more villains! Oh, the torment. The agony! Yet it was a suffering he had to endure, for the sake of the innocent the other monsters this man had in his company would torment.

Rebonack
2013-12-10, 02:01 PM

There's a bit of laughter shared and the northmen eventually takes his leave.

So you guys can, like, totally talk to each other now. Just don't go and decide to change your eye-color half way through the conversation. That gets really confusing.

[The House of Bondage]

The fellow behind the door's expression suddenly brightens! "Well, why didn't you say so to begin with? Come in, come in!"

The door is unbolted and thrown open for the ponies. "I'll have you know that we specialize in finding apprenticeships for youngsters here. We have a real heart for making sure that children have a bright future ahead of them, you know."

Despite its dilapidated, sagging appearance on the outside the building is rather well maintained inside. A young human girl is nearby practicing her writing. She seems pretty intent and doesn't look up at the sound of the door opening.

"You'll have to excuse our security," the greasy man says. "This neighborhood isn't the best in the city."

Fan
2013-12-18, 03:43 PM
[Jagger Jack, back to back!]

"Before we go any further, do you have any say.. previous apprentices that you can display the skills of? We have enough coin to ensure the best is gotten for our girl, so please. Lead on."

Jagger Jack says through grit teeth, showing restraint causing physical pain to the bombastic pony, itching for action, for adventure! Anything and everything. But he couldn't blow it, oh gods of battle above espionage was not what he was made for.