PDA

View Full Version : Wildshape Ranger + Vow of Poverty

Qc Storm
2013-11-21, 08:49 PM
While I know that Vow of Poverty is a trap feat, it isn't impossible to live with when you have access to wildshape.

I've been thinking about making a Wildshape Ranger with this feat. Which will most likely later dive into Master of Many Form and Nature's Warrior (I would also like some rule clarification about interaction between the two.)

My race of choice is the Anthropomorphic Toad. It comes with a few downsides that would make my early ranger levels quite problematic. Namely, penalties to STR and DEX, and 5ft move speed. But I enjoy the image of a wise old frog-man, paragon of good. What can I do not be a burden until I gain my main class feature?

In addition, what are some good feats for wildshapers?

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-21, 08:59 PM
Poisoned...um...wow. Some weapons allow one to attack squares. Maybe a net-user? Poison would be theme-appropriate and offset terrible hp-damage, but unless you have a magical/natural way of producing it, it is prohibitively expensive.

See if the DM will let you pick up Wild Cohort. At least you'll have a second set of attacks. Hmm. That's hardly ideal, either.

Let's see what everyone else thinks.

Qc Storm
2013-11-21, 09:10 PM
Poisoned...um...wow. Some weapons allow one to attack squares. Maybe a net-user? Poison would be theme-appropriate and offset terrible hp-damage, but unless you have a magical/natural way of producing it, it is prohibitively expensive.

See if the DM will let you pick up Wild Cohort. At least you'll have a second set of attacks. Hmm. That's hardly ideal, either.

Let's see what everyone else thinks.

I don't think poison is theme-appropriate, they don't strike me as a "good" thing. Not inherently evil, but not exactly exalted either. I also cannot own things, due to Vow of Poverty. Nets may be acceptable, if I make my own.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-21, 09:11 PM
What level are you starting at? 1? Because... I'll be honest, here, I'm not sure I can think of a good way to do this without losing class levels. Bow + Knowledge Devotion? Grab Wild Cohort and just use Aid Another on your puppy?

EDIT: BoED has "ravages," which are totally not poison. You can grab Touch of Golden Ice and have evil foes make DC 14 Fort saves every time you touch 'em or take... I think it's Dex damage? Intuitive Attack would let you use your Wisdom for attack with natural weapons, so that's that worry gone. As a bonus, neither is useless later on-- giant octopus says "make 8 Fort saves a round."

awa
2013-11-21, 09:12 PM
take handle animal acquire an ox train for war (warbeast template) use a lasso (it's touch attack so the fact that your not proficient should even out) tie one end of the lasso to your ox, use the oxes strength and size to trip people you nail with the lasso.
drag them past melee allies so they get that juicy attack of opportunity vrs a prone entangled target.

alternatively a warhorse works to if you don't have the time to train the ox for war. although its a lot more expensive and a lot less effective

edit just realized a lasso is not a simple weapon and thus may not be owned by a vow of poverty. to focused on mitigating the stat penalties forgot the whole vow part

Qc Storm
2013-11-21, 09:22 PM
take handle animal acquire an ox train for war (warbeast template) use a lasso (it's touch attack so the fact that your not proficient should even out) tie one end of the lasso to your ox, use the oxes strength and size to trip people you nail with the lasso.
drag them past melee allies so they get that juicy attack of opportunity vrs a prone entangled target.

alternatively a warhorse works to if you don't have the time to train the ox for war. although its a lot more expensive and a lot less effective

edit just realized a lasso is not a simple weapon and thus may not be owned by a vow of poverty. to focused on mitigating the stat penalties forgot the whole vow part

While in D&D terms, a lasso is not considered a "simple" weapon, due to its unusual combat style, I believe many DMs (or at least, mine) would accept it as a Vow of Poverty weapon. It's not simple to use, but its simple in construction, and can even substitute as a belt for the poor.

What level are you starting at? 1? Because... I'll be honest, here, I'm not sure I can think of a good way to do this without losing class levels. Bow + Knowledge Devotion? Grab Wild Cohort and just use Aid Another on your puppy?

It is not known yet, but DMs in our group favor starting at level 1. Later start would be preferable, but I have to prepare for the most likely outcome.

It seems my best bet for the early game is to tame something and guide it in combat.

What about feat choices for later? I have never played a wildshaper before. All I know is Multiattack.

Qc Storm
2013-11-22, 02:33 AM
Okay, I've built up a rough draft of my feat line. Give me your opinion.

1 - Alertness
1(Flaw) - Sacred Vow
1(Flaw) - Vow of Poverty
1(Exalt) - Nymph's Kiss
2(Exalt) - Intuitive Attack
3 - Martial Study (Perfect Mind)
4(Exalt) - Nemesis
6 - Dive for Cover
6(Exalt) - Touch of Golden Ice
8(Exalt) - Exalted Wild Shape
9 - Multiattack
10(Exalt) - Sanctified Natural Attack
12 - Martial Stance (Pearl of Black Doubt)
12(Exalt) - Vow of Purity
14(Exalt) - Vow of Abstinence
15 - Oaken Resilience
16(Exalt) - Vow of Chastity
18 -
18(Exalt) - Gift of Faith
20(Exalt) - Defender of the Homeland

Intuitive attack may be of use later in the game. Due to Frogman having a +6 wisdom modifier, and Vow of Poverty giving generous bonuses to stats, it is possible that my wisdom could be higher than my STR in a few forms, especially early on.

Alertness is required for Nature Warrior, and while I know Pearl of Black Doubt is not the most optimal choice, I enjoy it. One thing I am wondering however, is if Moment of Perfect Mind is necessary. My wisdom is quite high, true, but none of my classes have good will saves, which means my base saves will be near 0 most of the time.

Dive for cover slightly patches my reflex saves. While most of my classes have good reflex saves, most good wildshapes have low dex, and I have no items to patch it up. A second roll ensures I will succeed on most saves.

Fortitude saves should not be a problem overall, and later on, I can become immune to most of the fort ailments (Thanks to oak resilience).

CyberThread
2013-11-22, 03:28 AM
Curious, if we oh I don't know, consider it a poison, an it comes from a feat, meaning this person can do such things naturally?

Do you see maybe a wicked build using this, with the spell venom fire?So if by chance they do fail that dc 14, they get slapped with another I don't know, at least 6d6 acid damage, and even more if the person that gives it to you, has higher caster level.

AND, it last 1 hour/per level, so no need for metamagic.

oh and if we do count it as a poison, remember golden ice goes around all immunizes as long as they are evil.

So not only do you lower a things fort, making it easier to hit, but you smear acid on them for crap and giggles. Now lets flurry!

Qc Storm
2013-11-22, 04:15 AM
Curious, if we oh I don't know, consider it a poison, an it comes from a feat, meaning this person can do such things naturally?

Do you see maybe a wicked build using this, with the spell venom fire?So if by chance they do fail that dc 14, they get slapped with another I don't know, at least 6d6 acid damage, and even more if the person that gives it to you, has higher caster level.

AND, it last 1 hour/per level, so no need for metamagic.

oh and if we do count it as a poison, remember golden ice goes around all immunizes as long as they are evil.

So not only do you lower a things fort, making it easier to hit, but you smear acid on them for crap and giggles. Now lets flurry!

It always bothered me that someone out there created Venomfire and said "Yep. That's balanced."

1d6/CL per hit, uncapped? Really?

And let's not forget the day-long duration.

Cespenar
2013-11-22, 04:21 AM
Maybe mix in a level of Rogue, and the feats Craven and Savage Grapple? Craven is kinda cheesy, but your call.