PDA

View Full Version : Who's up for a rousing global domination?

D20ragon
2013-11-21, 08:59 PM
So, who would like to take part in global conquest? Crush,manipulate,plot against and otherwise thwart your foes as you Take over the world! in a combo of strategy,rules and roleplaying!

(and maybe,just maybe,sharks with laser beams attached to their frickin heads.)

I'm just testing the waters, to gauge potential interest. If your are,(interested) then say so! Details (as in,rules and stuff,) to come.

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-21, 09:17 PM
whilst I don't think I'm an attentive or notable enough forum-goer to effectively contribute to your campaign (and thus I shall stay out so as not to drag down said campaign) I definitely look forward to reading about it.

Morithias
2013-11-21, 09:36 PM
Shouldn't this be in finding players?

But sure I'll play, I've been meaning to play a villain for a while. I usually DM those games.

I'm currently running a similar game called "Evil Fluxx"

However I refuse to play if PvP is involved.

The_Admiral
2013-11-21, 09:38 PM
One, does it start after the 27th? And two, can I cackle shouting I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME RANGERS!

Morithias
2013-11-21, 09:59 PM
One, does it start after the 27th? And two, can I cackle shouting I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME RANGERS!

That another question, are we a team, or are we doing this solo?

Quite frankly, i'm one for more economic and science domination. You know, like Lex Luthor.

Although that would be interesting, me running the funding and R&D, while you run the conquest and base defense.

The_Admiral
2013-11-21, 10:18 PM
That another question, are we a team, or are we doing this solo?

Quite frankly, i'm one for more economic and science domination. You know, like Lex Luthor.

Although that would be interesting, me running the funding and R&D, while you run the conquest and base defense.

And argue over the best use of our limited resources? Sounds hilarious.

Morithias
2013-11-21, 10:27 PM
And argue over the best use of our limited resources? Sounds hilarious.

That's why I'm asking. Is this suppose to be a team thing? A PvP thing? A sandbox game with mutual non-aggression pacts?

The OP didn't exactly give us a ton of detail you know.

D20ragon
2013-11-22, 06:52 AM
Sorry bout the lack of detail. How would you fine people prefer to do it. I was thinking a bit of a sandbox, with players free to make/break alliances as they see fit. Also, perhaps a bit of conspiracy/secretive theme. I think it would be fine to pretend to be or do one thing while PM-ing another.

Ideas? Opinions?

The_Admiral
2013-11-22, 09:48 AM
I think we all working for the same goal fits better since PvP is undesirable.

Morithias
2013-11-22, 09:56 AM
Sorry bout the lack of detail. How would you fine people prefer to do it. I was thinking a bit of a sandbox, with players free to make/break alliances as they see fit. Also, perhaps a bit of conspiracy/secretive theme. I think it would be fine to pretend to be or do one thing while PM-ing another.

Ideas? Opinions?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313190

Here's a game I'm currently running called "Evil Fluxx".

Basically it has two rules.

1. You declare an action and the DM tells you what happens or asks you to roll for it.

2. If you declare an action that doesn't have a rule yet, the DM makes a rule up.

It's actually running quite well.

I don't like PvP because I have paranoia and a few other mental disorders in real life, and the anonymous nature of the internet often leads to bad blood.

Maybe some kind of thing where we can't fight each other but don't have to co-operate.

Like let's say I play some kind of alien who specializes in R&D, while another player specializes in making money. If I find myself short on money, and he finds himself overwhelmed with the enemy soldiers because he's behind on tech we can trade, or even form alliances.

We might also be able to do "Super-projects" super expensive and powerful doomsday devices, and upgrades that can't be afforded easily by one player.

The_Admiral
2013-11-22, 10:01 AM
I'm not a big fan of PVP either, I don't like conflict that much. Excuse me while I try to write up a hammy PR villain. Also in most villain games, I'm not playing to win, I'm playing to be as dramatic as possible.

Morithias
2013-11-22, 10:07 AM
I'm not a big fan of PVP either, I don't like conflict that much. Excuse me while I try to write up a hammy PR villain. Also in most villain games, I'm not playing to win, I'm playing to be as dramatic as possible.

I want to play some kind of either Bond Villain, or Alien invader.

I actually had a concept for an alien invader that was invading the planet by mistake.

Like she was so over-the-top and hammy, her race sent her away to a planet that they didn't know had life on the basis of claiming it for their race.

Of course after she left, her home planet got destroyed via some kind of disaster, leaving her the last of her race, due to their being no input device to contact anymore, she has no way of finding out what happened to her race, and now acts to conquest this planet, in the name of an empire that no longer exists.

Eldan
2013-11-22, 11:23 AM
So, nation game or RPG? That's the basic question. If you want to run it as a nation game, you should probably go over to the Total War thread in recruitment, you can easily find a dozen willing players there.

Morithias
2013-11-22, 12:14 PM
So, nation game or RPG? That's the basic question. If you want to run it as a nation game, you should probably go over to the Total War thread in recruitment, you can easily find a dozen willing players there.

Oh please can we keep it simple.

Simulation games are fine on the computer when all the math is done for you.

When you do a super complex simulation game in play-by-post, where you have to do all the math yourself it just feels like work.

The_Admiral
2013-11-22, 02:48 PM
Or Add Maths, and I just passed that paper so no thank you. Especially if you're lazy like me and try to do all the calculations in your head.

D20ragon
2013-11-22, 03:50 PM
The stats in this game will be seperated into Skills, Edge dice, and Resources.
In the mad rush to conquer the known world, your organizations Skill, Resouces and Edge dice will all be called into play.
A discription of each and how to use them follows.

Skills.

Your skills represent your organizations abilitys.
Each skill has a bonus, which you use to determine the outcome of your actions.

The skills are:
Military
The extent of your military power, be it a street gang or a secret army.

Tech
The tech level which you posess. This is added to most rolls, as most things are affected by it.

persuasion
How well liked or forceful your organization is. Added to things like bribery, and brainwashing.

Espionage
How well your organization is able to gather information covertly.

Organization
How well your organization is able to organize itself.

You get 20 points to assigns to each Skill. The number of points you spend on each one determines your bonus with that skill.

Edge dice
Edge dice are skills you are particularly good at.
You roll an edge die when using a skill you have that die in.
Everyone starts with a 1d4,a 1d6, and two d8's. You assaign one die to every skill but one.

Specializations
You may choose up to two Specializations for each skill. Examples include: Military(navy) and Organization(leader).
When this specialization comes into play, you may double the bounus you get from the skill.

Resources
Resources are your resources. You may spend points off your resources to aid a action,+ one per point spent.
List of resources.
Minions. The amount and quality of minions you have. Minions can be spent to aid any action, and count double (giving +2 per point spent) on extortion, building, and military actions. You can renew 1d4 minions an action, or more with a specific action.

Wealth. Wealth may be spent to aid any action, and counts triple on bribery actions. You must take specific actions to renew wealth.

Materials. Materials may be spent only on bribery and tech. It counts double on both of those. Wealth can increase materials on a 2 for 1 basis.

Land. Land can be spent to aid Military actions and bribery, and counts double on both of those. Wealth can increase land on a 2 for 1 basis.

You start with 15 points in two resources, 12 in one, and 20 in one.
WIP and please,PEACH.

Morithias
2013-11-22, 04:42 PM
So no Research and Development?

How exactly do the stats come into play. Is it a "1d20 + stat" against a DC? Is it simply "have high enough to succeed"? What is the game engine?

D20ragon
2013-11-22, 05:07 PM
I'd say R&D is an action,affected by Wealth,and both Resources.
I think the mechanic would be a 1d10,plus the stats. Also,some other factors will come into play,decided by me.
Also,this is kinda embarrassing,but I was largely inspired by your thread.:smallredface:

Morithias
2013-11-22, 07:11 PM
Also,this is kinda embarrassing,but I was largely inspired by your thread.:smallredface:

Alright, here's my recommendation.

When I say "I'm making up the rules as I go along" in Fluxx. I'm semi-lying.

Go and research videogames, and steal their ideas. I steal mostly from Evil Genius, X-com, and Tropico 4.

If you're playing a world domination simulation, you have to remember that no single person takes over the planet, no matter how powerful they are. No when you play a world domination game, you're playing an organization, and the mechanics should reflect this.

You also need to prepare for almost any kind of evil genius.

Here are examples of 3 evil characters I have played or created.

1. Pop Star gone evil. A glamorous pop star, who wants to control the world to make the world adore her.

2. Alien invader. A humanoid alien who is attempting to take over the world via espionage and infiltration. May or may not be associated with a bigger threat.

3. Corporate Bastard. Probably the hardest to DM for. The corporate bastard is obsessed with wealth, and builds up their income using legit fronts. Economic domination is the hardest to fight against, because most military and hero forces have little to no ability to fight something not against the law.

As you can tell, all 3 of these require very different Dming strategies, but at the same time you can't invent a new engine for each one.

So go here...

http://wiki.n1nj4.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://tropico.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

and read up. Reverse engineer, and steal their engines.

Remember, a DM's job is to entertain, not be creative.

If you find an engine doesn't work, don't be afraid to alter it. Just tell your players where you think it's going wrong, and talk it out with them.

That's the advantage to Fluxx engines, there are no rules at first, so everything is up for debate. You would think this would cause more arguments but often it makes people more open minded rather than when there are clear-cut rules.

So do your research, and if you want design suggestions. I am more than willing to help out.

That's literally a rule on my skype group. "If you want to do something not covered by the rules, talk it out with me and we'll decide on it."

I say do some basic research, watch some let's plays, and then make the game.

Also I REALLY want to play this, I want to try Fluxx or something similar to it from the player side, so I can get another Dm's views, and steal them too to improve my own games.

D20ragon
2013-11-24, 02:49 PM
Ok,so before I post the rules(loose though they may be),I'd like to know how you people would like to start. Would you prefer to have large amounts of resources? Start with nothing? A mix?

Morithias
2013-11-24, 03:39 PM
Ok,so before I post the rules(loose though they may be),I'd like to know how you people would like to start. Would you prefer to have large amounts of resources? Start with nothing? A mix?

You should probably post them in the finding players area first. Unless you're fine with just us two.

I wouldn't say start with nothing, but we should probably do character-creation first in an OOC thread. I also wouldn't say super-large. A basic base, some money, and a few mooks, a blip on the heat scale.

Afool
2013-11-24, 05:24 PM
Hi, I'm quite interested in joining in on this ( I'm thinking Minion Union Leader :smalltongue:). If someone could link to the Finding Characters thread (I'm rubbish at finding things on forums most of the time) that would be fantastic.

The_Admiral
2013-11-25, 08:05 AM
So we start with almost nothing, also the minion union, you gonna be Moist?

Afool
2013-11-25, 12:07 PM
*After a quick googling* I unfortunately do not know what Moist refers to (though now I really want to know what it is).

The original idea came from a short story I read a while ago who's name I forget as well as the minion union that was created in AntiHero for Hire (http://antihero.keenspot.com/afhabout.html).

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-25, 02:29 PM
*After a quick googling* I unfortunately do not know what Moist refers to (though now I really want to know what it is).

it may perhaps be a reference to a "horrible" sing along blog *cough close as I'm getting to the name, ask around cough*

Afool
2013-11-25, 04:55 PM
OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH! I haven't actually seen that (yet) though I've heard good things about it.

D20ragon
2013-11-26, 07:34 PM
Updated the rules.

Afool
2013-11-26, 10:54 PM
Hmmmmm
The Union (until the committee votes on a new name)

Skills
Military: 5 d8
Tech: 3 d4
Persuasion: 5 d6 Specialization (Recruiting)
Espionage: 3
Organization: 9 d8 Specialization (Minions)

Resources
Minions: 20
Wealth: 12
Materials: 15
Land: 15

*Edit
Moving the question here and applying Specializations

(Are we allowed to specialize in a particular tech?)

D20ragon
2013-11-27, 07:30 AM
I have changed the rules to accommodate specializations. Go take a look.:smallsmile: