PDA

View Full Version : Subverted psionics

Xuldarinar
2013-11-21, 09:38 PM
Simply, I want to start a discussion regarding the subverted psion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20051125a). What classes work best with it, in terms of mechanics and in terms of flavor? Thoughts on the PrC overall?

peacenlove
2013-11-21, 10:01 PM
Surprisingly it is more balanced than tainted scholar, if you can stomach 100+ power points.
Last 2 levels aren't so hot but he could make a decent minionmancer / debuffer (his effects aren't blocked by mind affecting immunity and extend quite a long range) in conjunction with thrallherd (for the appropriate sacrifices). Also full progression psionic prc's are rare so there's that.

Xuldarinar
2013-11-21, 10:27 PM
Yeah, it does seem relatively balanced as far as tainted 'casting' PrCs go.

I do have a question though. Even though it isn't relevant till epic levels, once you've completed the PrC, do you still need to succeed at a DC 10 + depravity Will save if you want to take levels in another class?

Psyren
2013-11-21, 10:28 PM
I'd say Ardent works best on both counts. High Wis + Con means huge depravity/corruption caps, Ardents actually have mantles dedicated to relevant concepts like Madness/Evil/Fate for the roleplay connection, and there's no real class features there to muck up with the PrC. Because the PrC protects you from the effects of taint, you can rack up a massive taint bill with just one level in the PrC without incurring any further symptoms. You can ignore the PrC for a while as you hurry towards Dominant Ideal at Ardent 10, relying on the Ardent's huge Will saves to keep you safely out of it.

DI Ardent 7/SP 1/Ardent +3 is a basic but serviceable build. You can then plunge instantly to Severe and gain a correspondingly huge pool of bonus PP from Tainted Power (e.g. +70 PP for 20 Wis/Con, or +83 for 24) and it will only get higher the more Wis and Con you get. At level 11, this is nearly double your base PP. At that point though, the will save to avoid more SP levels will likely be impossible to avoid and you will end up with symptoms, but you'll at least have full progression and the other class features from the PrC.