PDA

View Full Version : Build me a gunlance! (3.5)

Snowbluff
2013-11-21, 11:45 PM
It's the coolest weapon ever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-VPVvKrqcM)

Well, except for maybe the swaxe.

Anywho, the gunlance is a gun and a lance... and a shield. It has a short range cannon built into it that you can fire shells from at close range. It also has a power charged shot called "Wyvern's Fire."

Now, the closest thing I can think of from a purely weapon standpoint is the Spear Spikard. These weapons from MoE care spears with crossbow built in. When you hit a target, it's a free action to hit with the bolt.

I think this would be interesting to do as a duskblade. The Spear would be charged with spells to add elemental damage, and I could fire the bolts for extra applications of poison. Maybe I'll add poison spell, smiting spell, and make the weapon spell storing.

Another option I was thing was using hideous blow (lol) on a warlock.

I am not sure what to do with the bolts, though. The spikard screams "poisons!" I am not sure if their are any poisons that make people explode. Are their exploding bolts I can use?

Do you guys have any idea to bring this awesome weapon to my table? Perhaps a specific build? I mean, when I am not hunting. :smalltongue:

Benthesquid
2013-11-21, 11:53 PM
Pathfinder has a Musket Axe and a Musket Warhammer, both double weapons that can focus either as a Musket at range, or a Axe/Warhammer in melee. Either should be fairly easy to port, although you'll have to talk to your GM about what sort of weapon proficiencies you'll need.

Snowbluff
2013-11-22, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I don't want a gun and an... axe. I want a gunlance. :smalltongue:

Lateral
2013-11-22, 12:05 AM
Step 1: Duct-tape shotgun to lance.
Step 2: Get a tiny fairy to sit by the trigger and fire the shotgun every time you stab someone with the lance.
???
Profit!

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-22, 12:08 AM
It's the coolest weapon ever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-VPVvKrqcM)

Well, except for maybe the swaxe.

Anywho, the gunlance is a gun and a lance... and a shield. It has a short range cannon built into it that you can fire shells from at close range. It also has a power charged shot called "Wyvern's Fire."

Now, the closest thing I can think of from a purely weapon standpoint is the Spear Spikard. These weapons from MoE care spears with crossbow built in. When you hit a target, it's a free action to hit with the bolt.

I think this would be interesting to do as a duskblade. The Spear would be charged with spells to add elemental damage, and I could fire the bolts for extra applications of poison. Maybe I'll add poison spell, smiting spell, and make the weapon spell storing.

Another option I was thing was using hideous blow (lol) on a warlock.

I am not sure what to do with the bolts, though. The spikard screams "poisons!" I am not sure if their are any poisons that make people explode. Are their exploding bolts I can use?

Do you guys have any idea to bring this awesome weapon to my table? Perhaps a specific build? I mean, when I am not hunting. :smalltongue:

Hmm... let's see.

If you have access to an arcane spellcasting class, you could put a wand chamber in it. Make it one of fireball with one of those metamagic ring-things on it for Explosive Spell.

There's also the Explosive weapon property (+2, from the... MIC?). Detonates in a 5ft burst around it, so don't use it in melee.

Snowbluff
2013-11-22, 12:13 AM
Step 1: Duct-tape shotgun to lance.
Step 2: Get a tiny fairy to sit by the trigger and fire the shotgun every time you stab someone with the lance.
???
Profit! PERFECT! INGENIOUS!

Hmm... let's see.

If you have access to an arcane spellcasting class, you could put a wand chamber in it. Make it one of fireball with one of those metamagic ring-things on it for Explosive Spell. Metamagic ring? Sound pretty sweet if I can MM a wand.

There's also the Explosive weapon property (+2, from the... MIC?). Detonates in a 5ft burst around it, so don't use it in melee.
Complete Warrior. Found it like a minute ago.

I wonder if the Spikard is considered a projectile weapon. Then would mean my bolts explode. Then I shell out some splitting bolts.

Any news on what to coat these things with? Blisteroil sound good?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-22, 12:28 AM
PERFECT! INGENIOUS!

Metamagic ring? Sound pretty sweet if I can MM a wand.

Complete Warrior. Found it like a minute ago.

I wonder if the Spikard is considered a projectile weapon. Then would mean my bolts explode. Then I shell out some splitting bolts.

Any news on what to coat these things with? Blisteroil sound good?

Found it. Complete Mage (of course). Metamagic Wand Grips. Can only be used three times/day, and you must possess the feat. also, costs an additional amount of charges equal to the spell level raised (Extend takes up an extra charge, etc...).

Metamagic Spell Trigger (feat, requires Spellcraft or UMD 15) does the same, but with no limit per day.

Angelalex242
2013-11-22, 01:20 AM
Well, set it up like Squall's Gunblade (Final Fantasy 8) or Lightning's Gunblade (Final Fantasy 13 and sequels), except maybe the bullet fires through the spear itself.

Snowbluff
2013-11-22, 01:30 AM
Found it. Complete Mage (of course). Metamagic Wand Grips. Can only be used three times/day, and you must possess the feat. also, costs an additional amount of charges equal to the spell level raised (Extend takes up an extra charge, etc...).

Metamagic Spell Trigger (feat, requires Spellcraft or UMD 15) does the same, but with no limit per day.Hm... yeah, I knew about these. What would be really cool is Eternal Wands with enough charges to use the wandgrips with. :smallbiggrin:

Okay, here's what a pimped out weapon looks like to me.

Spear Spikard (200)
Masterwork (300)
+1 Explosive (18k)
Adamantine (3k)
Wand Chamber (100)

Ammo:
Bolts.

Wand:
Hail of Stone (CL 5, 3,750)
Wandgrip (8k)

Shield:
Full-blown TOWER SHIELD!
... This is making no sense.

Well, set it up like Squall's Gunblade (Final Fantasy 8) or Lightning's Gunblade (Final Fantasy 13 and sequels), except maybe the bullet fires through the spear itself.
... We're going to need an Iron Chef for awesome weapon builds, aren't we? :smallconfused:

fluke1993
2013-11-22, 02:44 AM
... We're going to need an Iron Chef for awesome weapon builds, aren't we? :smallconfused:

I ship it...

Snowbluff
2013-11-22, 02:49 AM
I ship it...
Wait, what? :smallconfused:

I do not think it means what you think it means.

Are you agreeing with me? I don't think I could run a competition, personally.

CyberThread
2013-11-22, 02:58 AM
Sounds like you want to go artificer, (hell cheaper to make everything anyways), and make a lance with a wand chamber, and then you can use your chamber to do stuff. While use artificer at around level 7, to use metamagic affects on the wand, so you can cast spells with extend max or whatever you want.

A warning, a wand chamber is like a normal wand, if it is a touch spell, you still need to use your free hand to touch them, you can't use the weapon to deliver the touch spell. So your gunlance, don't think of it as a magical weapon, but rather a cannon (aka gun), line that sucker up and blast a fireball out. There are some tricks to having multiple wands in a chamber, so you can switch between various spell affects, as if like ammo.

An just like ammo, once your wand runs out, you will need to reload. ((thank god for that artificer XP crafting )

Captnq
2013-11-22, 03:06 AM
Okay, so you want a weapon, a ranged weapon, and a shield?

First, The Weapon Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9053.msg183871#msg183871). Save yourself some time and just read it.

Two, Your Weapon:

SANG KAUW
- ORIENTAL ADVENTURES (3.0)
Exotic Two-Handed Melee Weapon
[Double, Shield]
Cost: 95 gp
Shield Bonus: 1
Armor Check Penalty: 0
Arcane Spell Failure: 0%
Damage (s): 1d6/1d6
Damage (m): 1d8/1d8
Critical: x3
Weight: 10 lb
Type: P
A sang kauw is a double weapon. The buckler in the middle of the sang kauw gives you a +1 shield bonus to your Armor Class if you attack with only one end of the sang kauw in a round.
Editor: This is awesome. It’s a good double weapon that comes with a shield. True, you can’t use all three at once, but if you can figure out how to use it with one hand, you can use one end to fight and the other end as a shield. Nice.
Editor (Shield): So, is it a buckler or like a buckler. Because every other weapon/shield out there lists armor check penalties and arcane spell failure. This doesn’t. So, I think by RAI, it is supposed to have a -1 ACP and 5% ASF. By RAW, it does not. A buckler a wizard can use without arcane spell failure and you don’t need to make it out of mithral, AWESOME. Of course, there is a downside. It is a two handed weapon. So that means to use it, you need both hands. So, to use the shield, you don’t need any skill in the shield, just the feat that allows you to use this weapon. Then you need to use two hands, which might make spellcasting a bit of a problem. There are ways around that, but alas, that’s the breaks.

Okay, so now we have the basics of your weapon.

Now one end of your Weapon needs to get Morphing +1 Bonus, then get the extrapolated WSA from the everychanging blade which is in the Extrapolated WSA section of the Handbook. For 13,000 gp, one end of your two handed weapon can turn into a heavy crossbow. You then give it quick loading (+1 bonus) so you have an extra dimensional space that holds 100 shots.

Now on the shield, you give it the ASA variable (+1 Bonus) so you can turn the buckler shield in the middle of your Sang Kauw into a light shield, heavy shield, or tower shield.

Now, alas, the other end of your staff is a blunt stick. So you will need to make it morphing/everchanging as well. That way you can turn that end into a lance or great sword, or any other massive weapon you can imagine.

Back to the crossbow. Make it Reloading as well as quick loading, that way you can load it as a free action.

Also give it a wand chamber so you can load a wand into it. Then add Deathwand eWSA so you can load two more wands into it. Then add dwarven Mauler eWSA so its one size class larger and increases the critical to x4

You know what, Morph it into a great crossbow, then add Quickloading, reloading, self-loading, and dwarven mauler. That will give you 3d8 base damage, let you reload as a free action, and do 18-20/x4 critical damage. You will either have to take an exotic weapon prof to use it, or buy Aptitude (+1 Bonus) Just to make sure you don't have to get a feat for every weapon you might turn it into.

But yeah, One end will be a BFG Crossbow, the other end can be turned into a Greatsword or a lance as you need it, and the shield in the middle can become a Wall shield if you so desire.

Now, how can you wield a weapon that is one end a giant sword, the other end a double-oversized crossbow and a giant wall shield in the middle? Two reasons:

1. If you allow the extrapolation of the Weapon Special Abilities, the math totally supports it.

2. Magic.

Snowbluff
2013-11-22, 03:09 AM
Any actually morphing would make it a switch axe. Gunlances don't actually have much of a range, anyway.

CyberThread
2013-11-22, 03:09 AM
Hmm while the top idea seems pretty awesome, it seems....messy.

Snowbluff
2013-11-22, 03:14 AM
It's really cool, though. I'll have to try it out sometime.

I was considering Artificer when I calculated the cost of a good CL wand of combustion.