PDA

View Full Version : Low Level Tough Guy

Baroknik
2013-11-22, 01:06 AM
Hey all, have a character I'm thinking about building for a low level campaign. I know this is a build that does pretty close to zero, but honestly I am looking more for a comic relief character that won't die in the campaign since I won't be able to play every session. The campaign is no-magic (though it is based in the world of Avatar: TLAB, so bending exists), so keep that in mind with any suggestions.

The basic build so far I am leaning towards is something like this:

Human Commoner 1/Survivor 3
Str 14
Dex 18
Con 19
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 10

Flaws:
Noncombatant
Murky-Eyed

Skills:
Profession (Slave) (7 Ranks), Handle Animal (7 Ranks), Swim (7 Ranks), Use Rope (7 Ranks)

Feats:
Great Fortitude (Flaw)
Poison Healer (Flaw)
Endurance (Human Bonus)
Steadfast Determination (Level 1)
Animal Cohort (Tiny Viper) (Level 3)

Weapon Prof (Sling) (Commoner 1)
Uncanny Dodge (Survivor 1)
Evasion (Survivor 2)
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Survivor 3)

BAB +0
Attack: Sling +4, d4+2 (or +3, d3+2 for using stones)

Basically, the idea is that I am an escape slave of some pirates and I don't like to die. Stats are as high as they are from rolls (two legitimate nat 18s, which DM is more than happy with since my character isn't exactly powerful otherwise). He keeps his pet viper in his shirt that bites him every round. At this level the snake always net heals him for 3 damage (since Steadfast Det. makes nat 1's not auto-fail and the DC is 10 with a +9 to Fort). Once I hit 6 the healing will boost to 4/turn since I'll have DR, and at 8 it will boost to 5/turn since my Con mod will go to +5.

Like I said, I know it is far from any level of useful optimization, but I think it'll be fun to be that tenacious little bastard that doesn't die to the enemies (mind you that my group is very low op generally, so it's not a big issue -- very little chance that I'll get sucker punched for a lot of damage).

Anyway, any feedback on how to make this guy a bit wackier is definitely welcome! Commoner-only flaws probably won't be allowed (though I'd love it if my DM allows me to have Incomprehensible Accent, which he might since it has no mechanical effect on this character).

Spore
2013-11-22, 09:23 AM
Shouldn't your profession be sailor? Profession (Slave) doesn't make a whole lot of sense. This is like Profession (Rich Kid) or Profession (Room Mate).

BWR
2013-11-22, 10:17 AM
I could probably mention a couple of people with maxed ranks in Profession (rich kid).

But yeah, 'slave' generally refers to social status rather than specific competance. A slave set to row galleys would likely have a slightly different skill set than one who did nothing but domestic work. Profession (sailor) sounds much better.

Hyena
2013-11-22, 10:19 AM
The sole purpose of the profession skill is to make money. Being a slave won't make you ANY money.

Ruethgar
2013-11-22, 10:27 AM
I would suggest an arctic mongrel for the race. It is a subset of human so it may be ok. Either way arctic is still a good template for a high health guy.

Doc_Maynot
2013-11-22, 10:31 AM
And no chicken-infested? For shame, you could have had the melon lord, but with chickens!

Baroknik
2013-11-22, 02:12 PM
The profession (slave) thing is a half-hearted joke, honestly. I'd probably go sailor for it in actual play. Interestingly, being a professional slave makes some sense potentially (picture a highly contractualized indentured servant).

Thematically, arctic might work if I came from a water tribe, though I can almost guarantee you that mongrelfolk is not an option. Will look into arctic.

With that in mind, at my level I don't have a terrible to hit with a sling, however by level 6, having a BAB of 0 means I'm having almost 0 competence against most things. However, armor is very scant in the setting... Do you think building towards tripping might work? To provide some level of functionality for the group?

Callin
2013-11-22, 02:19 PM
Then call it (Galley Slave) or something nautical and get the best of both (Sailor) and (Slave)

Other than that I love the concept to start out with.