PDA

View Full Version : dragon gods for a new world

blelliot
2013-11-22, 04:19 AM
I've got a nifty idea of doing a new world of low technology (think african/aborigine tribes) where the people worship dragons. I'm just wondering if any of you nice people out there would help me match dragons up to the god idead I have. Here we have a list:
A god of protection
A god of healing and life
A god of death and pestillance
A god of destruction
A god of battlle
A god of war
A god of conquest
A god of love
A god of travel
A god of justice
A god of magic and knowledge
A god of light and the sun
A god of darkness and the moon
A god of nature
A god of weather
A god of madness
A god of greed
A god of savagery
So what I'm looking for is any true dragon that would fit any of these concepts. Any wotc/paizo printed source (dragon and dungeon mags and wotc.com) are open for use. No lesser dragon type is allowed , but any template added to a true dragon is acceptable. So let me know what dragons you would assign to these concepts. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Particle_Man
2013-11-22, 07:43 PM
A god of protection - Brass
A god of healing and life - Silver
A god of death and pestillance - Green
A god of destruction - Black
A god of battlle - Brass
A god of war - Bronze
A god of conquest - Blue
A god of love - Silver
A god of travel - Brass
A god of justice - Silver
A god of magic and knowledge - Copper
A god of light and the sun - Gold
A god of darkness and the moon - Black
A god of nature - Copper
A god of weather - Bronze
A god of madness - Black
A god of greed - Red
A god of savagery - White

But I repeat myself. :smallsmile:

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-22, 07:57 PM
I've got a nifty idea of doing a new world of low technology (think african/aborigine tribes) where the people worship dragons. I'm just wondering if any of you nice people out there would help me match dragons up to the god idea I have. Here we have a list:
A god of protection: Topaz (MM2)
A god of healing and life: Oceanus (Dra)
A god of death and pestilence: Tarterian (Dra) or Shadow (Dra) or any (Dracolich (Dra) template)
A god of destruction: Black
A god of battle: Battle Dragon (Dra)
A god of war: Sapphire (MM2)
A god of conquest: Green
A god of love: Silver
A god of travel: Song Dragon (MoF)
A god of justice: Gold
A god of magic and knowledge: Emerald (MM2) or Steel (DoF) (Emerald dragons are psionic, not magical. However, Steel dragons are magical, but less knowledge-oriented than Emerald dragons.)
A god of light and the sun: Radiant (Dra)
A god of darkness and the moon: Ethereal (Dra)
A god of nature: Sand (Sand)
A god of weather: Blue
A god of madness: Chaos (Dra)
A god of greed: Red
A god of savagery: White

Sources:
Dra = The Draconomicon
DoF = Dragons of Faerun
MM2 = Monster Manual 2
Sand = Sandstorm
Blank = Monster Manual (Core)

Crasical
2013-11-22, 08:42 PM
Dragon gods are, like, soooooo overplayed and mainstream. Seriously, I wouldn't even use them ironically. I, personally, worship Strange Dearbhorgaill, the Goddess of Really Obscure Monsters That No-One Else Remembers Exist.

blelliot
2013-11-23, 12:08 AM
Blue is jokes, right?

Averis Vol
2013-11-23, 12:22 AM
Blue is jokes, right?

Yes, Yes it is :P

I second Kuulvheysoon's list, seems pretty damn spot on.

avr
2013-11-23, 12:27 AM
I don't have any problems with the lists above, but it's worth noting that the gods of Eberron each have a dragon they're identified with, if you want another take. While the Traveller is an exception I like to think that one's a shapeshifting Gold dragon.

avr
2013-11-23, 12:29 AM
Dragon gods are, like, soooooo overplayed and mainstream. Seriously, I wouldn't even use them ironically. I, personally, worship Strange Dearbhorgaill, the Goddess of Really Obscure Monsters That No-One Else Remembers Exist.
Dear? Isn't she a Purple dragon?

Ruethgar
2013-11-23, 01:07 AM
I also support Kuulvheysoon's list, however I would make the change that a Styx dragon represent death and pestilence. Because of their supiroror mastery of magic, however slight that superiority may be, I would suggest a purple dragon for the magic domain or pretty much any dragon with the spellhoarding template.

A god of death and pestilence- Styx
A god of magic- Purple
A god of magic and knowledge- Spellhoarding Template
A god of travel- Wandering Template
A god of hunger(BoVD domain)- Ravening Template

blelliot
2013-11-23, 10:24 AM
A god of protection: Topaz (MM2)
A god of healing and life: Oceanus (Dra)
A god of death and pestilence: Tarterian (Dra) or Shadow (Dra) or any (Dracolich (Dra) template)
A god of destruction: Black
A god of battle: Battle Dragon (Dra)
A god of war: Sapphire (MM2)
A god of conquest: Green
A god of love: Silver
A god of travel: Song Dragon (MoF)
A god of justice: Gold
A god of magic and knowledge: Emerald (MM2) or Steel (DoF) (Emerald dragons are psionic, not magical. However, Steel dragons are magical, but less knowledge-oriented than Emerald dragons.)
A god of light and the sun: Radiant (Dra)
A god of darkness and the moon: Ethereal (Dra)
A god of nature: Sand (Sand)
A god of weather: Blue
A god of madness: Chaos (Dra)
A god of greed: Red
A god of savagery: White

[/LIST]

Okey dokey, I like this list, no lets modify each dragon with a template to bring them closer to their respective portfolios.
for example, the god of pestillance is going to have the dracolich template.
What can all of you come up with? Im interestedto see.

blelliot
2013-11-23, 10:33 AM
I also support Kuulvheysoon's list, however I would make the change that a Styx dragon represent death and pestilence.

I think this is an idea worth exploring, and upon reading the entries in te draconomicon, I concur. So here is the list as it stands:
Trothar, The god of protection: Topaz (MM2)
Irisvar, Thr god of healing and life: Oceanus (Dra)
Loex, The god of death and pestilence: Styx (Dra) (Dracolich (Dra) template)
Sventar, The god of destruction: Black
Vargach, The god of battle: Battle Dragon (Dra)
Aryte, The god of war: Sapphire (MM2)
Silit, The god of conquest: Green
Itov, The god of love: Silver
Ossalur, The god of travel: Song Dragon (MoF)
Filkiati, The god of justice: Gold
Irthir, The god of knowledge: Emerald (MM2)
Arcaniss, The god of magic: Tome (DR343) (Spellhoarding (DR313) template)
Siksta, The god of light and the sun: Radiant (Dra) (Radiant (DR321) template)
Welun, The god of darkness and the moon: Ethereal (Dra) (Shadow (MotP) template)
Gemuth, The god of nature: Sand (Sand)
Kepesk, The god of weather: Blue
Paxienra, The god of madness: Chaos (Dra)
Fekiw, The god of greed: Red
Fueryon, The god of savagery: White

Particle_Man
2013-11-23, 10:36 AM
And maybe a minor god of the fey - Faerie Dragon. And a god of wizard's familiars - Pseudo Dragon.

Gotta stand up for the little guys! :smallsmile:

blelliot
2013-11-23, 10:48 AM
And maybe a minor god of the fey - Faerie Dragon. And a god of wizard's familiars - Pseudo Dragon.

Gotta stand up for the little guys! :smallsmile:

Maybe a later addition, but we are sticking to true dragons currently.

otakumick
2013-11-23, 11:57 AM
For a god of Knowledge and magic I would probably use a Tome Dragon...
actually I would use a pair of dragons a Tome Dragon and a Hex Dragon... They would likely get along about as well as Shar and Mystra

blelliot
2013-11-23, 12:01 PM
For a god of Knowledge and magic I would probably use a Tome Dragon...
actually I would use a pair of dragons a Tome Dragon and a Hex Dragon... They would likely get along about as well as Shar and Mystra

Where would those be? Found them, and I like it! Changes have been made! As a matter of fact, if anyone out there finds a dragon/god combo they think should be on here, tell me what you have! Thanks everyone!

WhamBamSam
2013-11-23, 01:10 PM
Okey dokey, I like this list, no lets modify each dragon with a template to bring them closer to their respective portfolios.
for example, the god of pestillance is going to have the dracolich template.
What can all of you come up with? Im interestedto see.Templates are generally not going to be all that great though there are a few templates, and template-like things that might be nice.

The Vampiric template (Dra) might be cool for your god of conquest.

The Sovereign Archetypes from Dragons of Eberron could do a lot for you in a number of cases with minor refluffing. They're always worth a look when it comes to dragons.

Dragon 313 has the Dragon Psychoses which could be good additions in several cases.

The Xorvintaal Dragon template (MMV) is pretty much a gimme for any Psionic or Planar dragon that doesn't have spellcasting to lose, and the fluff of the great game is a great fit for the strange machinations of the gods.

There are a lot of other things that could buff up and distinguish them as well. A few class levels can do a lot to make monsters more threatening, and there are a few feat chains and the like that could be beneficial as well. Are these gods supposed to ever be directly encountered/fought by PCs? If they are, what CR do you have in mind? How about age categories? Should they all be Wyrms and Great Wyrms, or would you prefer them to be in the Mature Adult to Ancient range?

blelliot
2013-11-23, 04:31 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure yet if they will be encountered as challenges. Maybe. The great game would be an excellent idea for a campaign, though. Currently, I was just thinking that dragon gods would be fun for a "savage" campaign.