Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close(25 ft. +5ft./2 levels)
Effect: 1 copper piece
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You fling a single copper piece which flies through the are and hits it's target with a satifying ping

If you desire to hit a specific target with the copper piece you must succeed on an ranged touch attack agienst the targets AC. Your attack bonus for this roll is equal to your caster level plus the modifier for the ability that would determine this spells save DC if it had one (Int for wizards, Cha for Sorcerers/Bards, ect). The coin doesn't possess enough force to cause any damage, but it can distract people, knock down small objects, make a loud impact noise agienst a hard surface, or trigger any trap or mechinism that requires 5 lbs. of force or less to activate, or do anything else that could be expected of a sudden impact of 5 lbs. of force could be expected to do.

Material Component: A copper piece that is thrown upon casting this spell.

magic8BALL
2007-01-12, 12:08 AM
ahhh... a spell that allows you to throw a copper coin 10 ft?
I dont see the need.
Your attack bonus to a ranged touch attack is BAB+Dex+size+any feats that may apply. There has never been any need for any other spell to change this.
Also, the effect would not be 1 copper piece, as you started with that, and the copper peice would be a focus, not a component, as the coin is not destroyed upon casting.

A sugestion to make the spell more useful:

Copper Shot
Conjuration
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: S, V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. +5 ft./level
Effect: 1 copper piece
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You fling a single copper piece which flies through the air and hits it's target with a satifying ping

This spell creates a copper pice for nothing more than elrich energy, and it is propelled through the air. If you desire to hit a specific target with the copper piece you must succeed on an ranged touch attack agienst the targets AC.

The coin doesn't possess enough force to cause any damage, but it can distract people, knock down small objects, make a loud impact noise agienst a hard surface, or trigger any trap or mechinism that requires 5 lbs. of force or less to activate, or do anything else that could be expected of a sudden impact of 5 lbs. of force could be expected to do.

TheOOB
2007-01-12, 01:32 AM
The range change I'll do, to keep it consistant with other spells, but the other aspects I'm keeping the same.

Even as a touch attack, it would be difficult for a wizard to hit a small object across to room, say a glass or a vase to cause a distraction, thus a high chance of hitting is required.

Secondly, this spell A)is the only use for a copper piece I can think of, and B)has a unique charm. Any boring spell can shoot a tiny bolt of arcane energy, theres just something cool about a bard scoring a bullseye from across the room with a coin.

I relise material components are normally consumed, but since the component section specifically mentions that the coin is thrown with the casting it works.

ampcptlogic
2007-01-12, 01:38 AM
Most ammunition is destroyed on impact. Would the same be true of the coin? Would it vanish on impact or survive, but be subject to the effects of hitting whatever it hit? Say, a fire or acid trap that would warp or corrode the coin?

And yes, the flavor is fun.

fangthane
2007-01-12, 12:06 PM
This looks generally nifty, if a little weaker even than most cantrips... I'd tend to propose the following modifications (any one may be applied, but all would be overpowered):
1. I'd allow it to deal a single point of blunt damage if fired at a creature; that way it could crit for 2 and is still generally inferior, damage-wise, to Ray of Frost or Acid Splash.
2. I'd also allow aimed shots with this at a fairground (i.e. toss the coin in the jug for a doll, rather than at)
3. Require a concentration check from any caster at whom it was fired (DC should probably be standard per the spell's DC, or add 4 or 5 to it; your call)
4. Anything with DR should be unaffected by a coin aimed directly at them, but may be distracted by noises caused by targeting nearby objects or surfaces.

This reminds me of a buddy who could hit a quarter with a case's worth of beer caps from 10 feet away and never miss...