PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Running murder mysteries

Vanitas
2013-11-22, 07:37 AM
I'm planning on running a murder mystery subplot in my next game. I was wondering if anyone has ever done that in Pathfinder and if you have any suggestions on what I should or should not use, what an assassin could do to cover his tracks even if magic is used against him and all that.

avr
2013-11-22, 08:54 AM
A few obvious things. The assassin needs to be disguised or simply not seen by their victim or Speak With Dead will spill all the beans. If they're injured they'll need to clean up very well or Scrying will find them. Similarly they don't want to leave any possessions behind; arrows etc may be possessions.

The body needs to not be found for a fortnight or so to avoid Raise Dead/Reincarnate undoing the assassin's hard work, or else he'll need to feed it to the pigs or something. More extreme measures are needed against Resurrection. Economics and the availability of high-level divine spellcasters may make these non-issues, I don't know the circumstances or your campaign.

Alleran
2013-11-22, 08:54 AM
Well, Aura of the Unremarkable (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/aura-of-the-unremarkable) can be very effective, if you stack it on top of other magic to evade detection. Do everything you can to conceal your presence and cover things up via magic, and then put that on top, so even if people do remember something, they don't think it out of the ordinary.

Fax Celestis
2013-11-22, 11:02 AM
I'm actually running one right now (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314799), though admittedly it's more of a 3.P than pure PF.

These are the house rules I went with:

System: 3.5/PF D&D
Player Count: 4, with 2 possible alternates or expansions, depending upon interest.
Style of Play: High-intrigue espionage, theft, and mystery. This game will be very light on combat, so don't trick yourself out to be a combat monster and then complain when you can't function. This is an excellent opportunity to use lesser-utilized feats and prestige classes that are generally overlooked because they're not that terrific in combat but are not bad given a social situation. That said, don't make yourself completely useless in combat either. In addition, expect to be very proactive when it comes to making posts: if your character is going to do something, don't wait for me to respond unless you require additional information in order to proceed. Feel free to take command of NPCs as necessary (as long as you're not being an idiot and pushing the plot forward when you don't know what's going on).
Allowed Content: All 3.5/PF, with some specific exemptions. Homebrew is encouraged but must be approved on a case-by-case basis. Use the magic item creation rules from MIC for custom items, and approve all custom items with me. Specific itemizations as follows:

The First Rule: You breaka mah gaem, I breaka yo faec. Be reasonable.
Broad-Spectrum Bans: Anything with 9th level casting is out. Anything that goes over 6 levels of casting is probably out. We are not using Multiclass Experience Penalties or Favored Classes. Planetouched races (incl. genasi) are not races: they are templates with the standard level adjustment they would have carried before.
Core: Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard are banned. Leadership is banned. Paladins are probably inappropriate for this campaign. Spells and items that deal with alignment (helm of opposite alignment, detect evil, magic circle against law, etc.) don't exist. If you want to play an Expert, Adept, or Aristocrat, let me know and we can work out some actual features to make the classes more interesting. Adepts in particular should talk to me. If you somehow pick up wildshape, use the PHB-II Shapeshift variant instead. We'll use a variant of Diplomacy, I just haven't decided which one yet. Combine Spot, Search, and Listen into Awarenesss.
Player's Handbook 2: If you want to play a Dragon Shaman, let's talk about how to make it a little better. Beguilers use the Bard's spell progression. Arcane Thesis applies once per spell, not once per metamagic per spell.
Expanded Psionics Handbook: Psion and Wilder are banned. Soulknife uses the Pathfinder version. Marksman, Dread, Cryptic, Aegis, and Tactician from Psionics Unleashed (PF) are available, but may or may not be suitable for this campaign. Elan is an LA +1 template, not a race, and gives an additional +2 Int. Dromites and Blues use the Pathfinder variant. The Thrallherd is banned as it is inappropriate for this campaign.
Eberron Campaign Setting: Artificer is provisionally banned--you can make one, but it will probably not be approved. Subraces (wild elves, earth dwarves, azurin, etc.) are allowed to take dragonmarks related to their parent race.

BoED: Material from this book is probably inappropriate for this campaign, but if you're dead set on using something, we'll talk.
BoVD: Material from this book is probably inappropriate for this campaign, but if you're dead set on using something, we'll talk.
Cityscape: Invisible Spell is a +1 adjustment.
Complete Arcane: Warmage is exempted from the above ninths-ban, but is probably inappropriate for this campaign. Wu Jen is banned. Extra Spell functions exactly like Expanded Knowledge.
Complete Divine: The base classes presented in this book are banned, except Favored Soul, which uses either Wisdom or Charisma (your choice) for spellcasting (instead of Wisdom/Charisma) and uses the Bard's spell progression and spells known mechanics.
Complete Psionic: The Ardent and Erudite are banned. The Divine Mind is okay, but is probably inappropriate for this campaign. If you want to play a Lurk, I would recommend looking up the Psychic Rogue instead.
Complete Warrior: The Samurai is terrible but is probably repairable. Talk to me if you want to use this.
Draconomicon: Dragonwrought Kobolds don't qualify for epic feats.
Dungeonscape: The Factotum's abilities are limited to once per round (so no Cunning Strike or Cunning Surge ridiculosity).
Heroes of Horror: The Dread Necromancer and Archivist are banned.
Magic of Incarnum: The Soulborn is terrible but is probably repairable. Talk to me if you want to use this.
Tome of Battle: Material from this book is probably inappropriate for this campaign, but if you're dead set on using something, we'll talk.
Tome of Magic: Shadowcasters are explicitly exempt from the no-ninths abilities above but are as-written. Alternatively, we can work out a six-level mystery progression and switch the uses/mystery/day table to a uses/mystery/encounter table.
Weapons of Legacy: Utilizing a Weapon of Legacy does not inflict penalties upon its wielder, but is limited to one per player. Custom Legacy Weapons are acceptable but must be cleared with me. The Legacy Champion cannot advance class features beyond their original class maximums (sorry, Hellfire Warlocks).
Pathfinder Material: Provisionally okay as long as it doesn't violate the above rules. I would prefer no Summoners, but we can talk.

This is not a comprehensive list, and I reserve the right to say no to something during the character creation process and to work with you to make something not broken that slipped by me if it turns up over the course of the game. If you want to utilize something but think it's terrible, talk to me and we can see about making it work.

Character Creation:
Backstory: Skirt-length, please.
Experience: Enough to start you at 8th level.
Wealth: Standard WBL for 8th level
Ability Scores: 38 Point buy (or 18 16 14 12 10 8 array)
Hitpoints/Health: We're going to use the Vitality/Wound Point (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm) system.
Alignment: Alignment is vague and non-mechanical. If your class or feature has an alignment restriction, remove it.
Other Variants: Defense Bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm) and Contacts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/contacts.htm) (Unearthed Arcana). if your class isn't listed on the Contacts list, approximate and confirm it with me. If and when we enter combat, we will likely not be using a map and instead will be using something more descriptive: if you are not mature enough or are too invested in map-based tactics to handle this, this is probably not the game for you. Initiative will be on a per-team basis, with the team's Initiative averaging the highest and lowest Initiative rolled by each team member. Gain feats every odd level, gain +1 to two ability scores (not one) every four levels, combine Listen/Search/Spot into Awareness (Wis), combine Hide/Move Silently into Stealth (Dex), combine Balance/Escape Artist/Tumble into Acrobatics (Dex), combine Climb/Jump/Swim into Athletics (Con), and roll Open lock into Disable Device.

This is a high-espionage game. You will be playing the part of several key players in an expansive thieves' guild. Your tasks will range from petty theft to corporate espionage to assassination to governmental implication to preemptive archaeology. This game will be set in Eberron (specifically, starting in Sharn), but I am not averse to Forgotten Realms materials in my games (aside from the aforementioned restrictions).

You may be a part of a dragonmarked house, but be forewarned that you may be required at some point to choose between your house and your guild.

stack
2013-11-22, 12:08 PM
Probably suggest E6. Cuts off a lot of the stuff you need to worry about (not speak with dead though).

Vanitas
2013-11-22, 12:11 PM
Probably suggest E6. Cuts off a lot of the stuff you need to worry about (not speak with dead though).

It's a one session thing and my group is 5th level. :smallsmile:

stack
2013-11-22, 12:59 PM
It's a one session thing and my group is 5th level. :smallsmile:

That right there, that is helpful information.:smalltongue: