PDA

View Full Version : Possibly stupid question 3.5 Divine Metamagic

Dalebert
2013-11-22, 08:45 AM
Do you need two feat slots to use this? Do you have to take the feat to apply and then take Divine Metamagic as well?

That's how I've interpreted it thus far, but now I'm wondering based on a couple things. The language of the feat says "pick a feat"; not "pick a feat that you have". Also, there is no prerequisite other than being able to turn undead. I would expect it to have a prereq of another metamagic feat, i.e. at least one feat to apply the Divine Matamagic to.

Obviously, even if I'm right about this, if you don't take the feat the normal way, you wouldn't be able to apply it the normal way, so if you only have the feat through Divine Metamagic, you wouldn't be able to apply the feat by bumping the level slot of the spell.

Chronos
2013-11-22, 09:15 AM
It's been errataed to say that you need the base metamagic feat first, and also to specify that it only works on divine spells.

Dalebert
2013-11-22, 09:34 AM
Thanx for that! I think I'm going to give it up and retrain those feats into something else. I like the Summon Elemental [RESERVE] feat.

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-22, 11:47 AM
Thanx for that! I think I'm going to give it up and retrain those feats into something else. I like the Summon Elemental [RESERVE] feat.

Divine Metamagic is absolutely worth the feat tax. Metamagic feats are awesome on their own, and being able to spontaneously add them is good too.

Summon Elemental is pretty nifty though.

Dalebert
2013-11-22, 12:28 PM
It can definitely be good. Don't think I haven't contemplated switching a couple feats around so I can cast Divine Power (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/divine-power--2607/) as a persistent spell. It would take three feats and all but one of my undead turnings for the day, but is arguably worth it. It just doesn't fit my character concept as well.

I've been using it for extends and it's frequently been useful, but most of the time the extra duration has been overkill. Replacing Extend with Spell Focus (Conj) and Divine Metamagic with Augment Summoning would be better, I think. It will take two levels to retrain those though, so I'll go with Summon Elemental first.