PDA

View Full Version : Are there ways to maintain concentration while acting?

killem2
2013-11-22, 08:58 AM
Is there anyway to do this? Even on a limited basis?

lytokk
2013-11-22, 09:05 AM
the concentration skill comes to mind. what kind of action are you thinking about?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/concentration.htm

killem2
2013-11-22, 09:10 AM
I mean when ever a spell requires you to maintain concentration or an ability.

This is what I'm trying to figure out about.

Planar Bubble (Su): Beginning at 5th level, onceper day you can create an area around yourself that emu-lates the environment of your chosen plane. This area mimics all traits of your chosen plane, including physicaltraits, elemental and energy traits, alignment traits, and magic traits. This area has a 20-foot radius and lasts aslong as you concentrate (up to a maximum of 1 hour perlevel) plus 1d10 rounds.

If I can maintain concentration and act, I can do a lot of things.

Artillery
2013-11-22, 09:19 AM
Usually maintaining concentration is a standard action.

There is the feat Extraordinary Concentration from Complete Adventurer that lets you do it as move of swift actions if you can make the heightened checks for it. 25+spell level for move action, 35+spell level for swift action.

There is also the skill trick Swift Concentration from Complete Scoundrel which lets you maintain Concentration on a spell as a swift action once a minute.

killem2
2013-11-22, 09:23 AM
RAW is probably going to **** me here, but does an SU ability count for those?:smallannoyed:

lytokk
2013-11-22, 09:33 AM
from the SRD

Action
None. Making a Concentration check doesn’t take an action; it is either a free action (when attempted reactively) or part of another action (when attempted actively).

to me, it really looks like yes, you can maintain concentration on a spell as part of any action, its just a matter of determining the DC. But, I'm also not the most, whats the word, experience DM, so there may be something I'm not seeing in the description.

Artillery
2013-11-22, 09:38 AM
Maintaining concentration is usually a standard action.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm
has it under Spell durations

Concentration
The spell lasts as long as you concentrate on it. Concentrating to maintain a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Anything that could break your concentration when casting a spell can also break your concentration while you’re maintaining one, causing the spell to end.

You can’t cast a spell while concentrating on another one. Sometimes a spell lasts for a short time after you cease concentrating.

lsfreak
2013-11-22, 09:45 AM
Lytokk, there's two different kinds of concentration. There's concentration to do a task while distracted (usually spellcasting) that uses the Concentration skill and whatever action the ability normally takes, and there's concentrating on a something with a duration of Concentration, which is normally a standard action every round or the effect ends.

There's also the sonorous hum spell, for 1 min/level the first spell you cast that requires concentration can be concentrated on by the sonorous hum spell itself.

But I think you're right, you're going to be screwed over by RAW. Add that to the list of things that seem like they should work but WotC seemed to often forget SU abilities are a thing.

lytokk
2013-11-22, 09:45 AM
and I stand corrected. Was looking the the wrong spot for the answer then.

killem2
2013-11-22, 12:49 PM
the really annoying part is, SU abilities never have to make concentration checks.

WOTC used a raw term, for spells, that has no outlet to use concentration on.

I suppose thast's a boon in the fact, I can just concentration on the planar bubble until it's over or I am dead, and never be interrupted, but I have no way of activating the planar bubble and using my own spells.

:smallfrown:

TuggyNE
2013-11-22, 06:21 PM
the really annoying part is, SU abilities never have to make concentration checks.

How is that relevant? Concentrating on a spell is not the same as making a Concentration check, although it may (normally) require one in cases where there's some distraction. This just means you have to eat an action cost without any possibility of failing.

killem2
2013-11-22, 08:05 PM
How is that relevant? Concentrating on a spell is not the same as making a Concentration check, although it may (normally) require one in cases where there's some distraction. This just means you have to eat an action cost without any possibility of failing.

When you are interrupted while maintaining a spells concentration, you have to use the skill concentration, to avoid losing the spell.

I find it to be very relevant when we are trying to determine R.A.I in a sea of screwed up R.A.W.

Say I plop down the Planar Bubble, and I'm sitting there concentrating. Someone comes up and jacks me in the face.

According to SU ability nothing happens, because I don't have to make a concentration check.

Psyren
2013-11-22, 08:26 PM
I suppose thast's a boon in the fact, I can just concentration on the planar bubble until it's over or I am dead, and never be interrupted, but I have no way of activating the planar bubble and using my own spells.

:smallfrown:

Err, yeah you do. Didn't you read the ability you quoted? It lasts 1d10 rounds after you stop concentrating, so you can cast your buffs then.

Anyway, you can also UPD a dorje/stone of Schism and have your second mind do the heavy lifting for you.

killem2
2013-11-22, 08:51 PM
Err, yeah you do. Didn't you read the ability you quoted? It lasts 1d10 rounds after you stop concentrating, so you can cast your buffs then.

Anyway, you can also UPD a dorje/stone of Schism and have your second mind do the heavy lifting for you.

:smallconfused::smallconfused:

I did read it maybe I'm reading it way wrong.

So, the 1d10 is how long after I'm done concentrating it stays up, or am I to read it like, if you concentrate for 1 hour per level (i'm level 9 lets say) 9 hours, I can then have it up for 9 hours + 1d10 rounds?

TuggyNE
2013-11-23, 01:02 AM
When you are interrupted while maintaining a spells concentration, you have to use the skill concentration, to avoid losing the spell.

I find it to be very relevant when we are trying to determine R.A.I in a sea of screwed up R.A.W.

Say I plop down the Planar Bubble, and I'm sitting there concentrating. Someone comes up and jacks me in the face.

According to SU ability nothing happens, because I don't have to make a concentration check.

Correct. So?

Concentrating on a spell and using the Concentration skill are two subtly different things; Concentration is used for other things besides spellcasting (manifesting being the most obvious, but also avoiding distractions while opening locks or disabling devices), and concentrating on a spell or ability does not always require a Concentration check.

In this case, you still have to use an action, but there's no way it can fail.

Psyren
2013-11-23, 01:32 AM
:smallconfused::smallconfused:

I did read it maybe I'm reading it way wrong.

So, the 1d10 is how long after I'm done concentrating it stays up, or am I to read it like, if you concentrate for 1 hour per level (i'm level 9 lets say) 9 hours, I can then have it up for 9 hours + 1d10 rounds?

However long you spend actions to maintain it - when you choose to stop, roll 1d10. It stays up that much longer, then ends. And while it is in that 1d10, you can use your actions for other things.

Carth
2013-11-23, 01:42 AM
Finding the center allows you to not need to spend an action concentrating on the spell you cast before it. It's an 8th level Wu Jen spell, though.

killem2
2013-11-23, 05:31 AM
However long you spend actions to maintain it - when you choose to stop, roll 1d10. It stays up that much longer, then ends. And while it is in that 1d10, you can use your actions for other things.

Gotcha, thanks, that makes more sense now. :)

I missed this the first time, what is UPD?

Artillery
2013-11-23, 05:39 AM
Gotcha, thanks, that makes more sense now. :)

I missed this the first time, what is UPD?

UPD is use Psionic device. Schism is a power where you split your mind, one half controls your body, the other can do a standard action each round to do a purely mental action. You can use it to cast while concentrating on things. I use it on a Psion in one of my games, lets me keep casting while I maintain concentration.

killem2
2013-11-23, 05:56 AM
:smallsigh::smallsigh:

/facepalm I should have known that lol.

UPD of course.

I should not use internet after randomly waking up in the morning.