PDA

View Full Version : I need some ideas

PraxisVetli
2013-11-22, 10:30 AM
Alrighty, humor me, a bit of backstory before my problem:
Characters are lvl 30-ish
Players are lvl10

now let me explain. At the fault of the DM (myself), My players have treated every battle as "How manyy Charge attacks does it take to kill this one?"
And its worked.
Then I thought they were OP, came here, found out my monsters suck.
Sooooo.
Hit em with Master of the Hunt and 5 hounds.
TPK in 3 rounds, not even fair.

So i gotta teach my players to catch up to their characters
(anyone else ever have this problem?)
Actual question:
I'm building something to chase them through the new undead-filled ancient deserted metropolis they're in.
I want something scary, that any moment could come crashing down on them.
Idea so far:
A pack(6-12) of Ghast-like Chokers, really just advanced Ghasts with Choker quickness.
Evolved Undead, Spellstitched and Swarmshifter templates.
Basically, a massive Swarm of Houseflies (not optimal but good fluffwise) appears, characters react, then it one by one starts swirling into these crazy-quick ghasts of doom.

important note:
MY PARTY HAS NEITHER A MAGE OR A UMD ROGUE, AND AREN'T OVERLY OPTIMIZED

Any critiques, comments, ideas?

Edit: Moral of story:
a cr-15-20ish pack of 6-12 ChokerGhasts, how do I make it?
-and I would like scary. not op gonna kill us scary, but you know, actual terror scary-

Tysis
2013-11-22, 10:58 AM
While I don't know much about epic levels I do know that at mid to high levels a party without some kind of caster is really limited in its bfc options. If all the players are martial melee characters then charging makes the most sense.

You can try using enemy spell casters that use spells that block line of sight if you just want to force the players to do something else. A level 3 wizard can drop a wall of gloom and stop the party from charging.

Without spells your players are stuck playing rocket tag, and I'm assuming all they have is hp damage and maybe some minor action economy abuse from magic items to fight with.

PraxisVetli
2013-11-22, 11:02 AM
I suppose I should clarify.
I've figured out how to fight them, and yes, charging is what they should do.
I want ideas on my ChokerGhasts.

Like, ideal spells for spellstitching and such.

FTR, the ChokerGhast mob respawns every day..

Tysis
2013-11-22, 11:08 AM
I suppose I should clarify.
I've figured out how to fight them, and yes, charging is what they should do.
I want ideas on my ChokerGhasts.

Like, ideal spells for spellstitching and such.

FTR, the ChokerGhast mob respawns every day..

Well I'm afraid I cant help you much there. Though I will recommend you edit the op to help clarify that you need help finding and creating monsters that will challenge the party without completely obliterating them.

Edit: Actually I think it's clear enough I just focused on the parts about your players always charging and trying to teach your players.

PraxisVetli
2013-11-22, 11:15 AM
Well I'm afraid I cant help you much there. Though I will recommend you edit the op to help clarify that you need help finding and creating monsters that will challenge the party without completely obliterating them.

Edit: Actually I think it's clear enough I just focused on the parts about your players always charging and trying to teach your players.
Well one thing, they have plenty of levels left in the campaign, I'm trying to subtly convince someone to start casting...
-before it becomes impossible for them-

And yeah, I'll edit the op a bit