PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Sensory Atavist

Fax Celestis
2007-01-12, 12:58 AM
The Sensory Atavist is a stealth fighter who works mainly by denying his foes sensory input while increasing his own. He is capable of silencing mages, paralyzing fighters, and blurring himself so he is harder to hit.

Abilities: Dexterity and Charisma power your abilities, and as such are your primary abilites. A healthy Constitution score will offset your low HD, and a good Strength score will help you land more attacks.

Races: Humans and halflings make up most of the Sensory Atavists, though a few other races take up the mantle.

Alignment: Sensory Atavists can be of any alignment.

HD: d6

Requirements
Abilities: Sneak Attack +2d6

Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fighting

Skills: Hide 9 ranks, Move Silently 9 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 4 ranks, Heal 4 ranks

Specifications
Proficiencies: A Sensory Atavist gains no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Class Skills (6+Int): Balance, Bluff, Climb, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Heal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Tumble, Use Magic Device

Sharpened Perceptions (Ex): Starting at 1st level, a Sensory Atavist adds one-half his class level (round up) to skill checks involving the Listen, Search, and Spot skills. In addition, a Sensory Atavist receives a +2 to Will saves versus illusions.

This ability expands to include the Sense Motive and Gather Information skills at 6th level.

Sneak Attack (Ex): This ability functions as the Rogue ability of the same name.

Cloak of Illusion (Su): Starting at 2nd level, a Sensory Atavist can surround himself with magical energies, blurring his image and causing him to be harder to strike. A Sensory Atavist can protect himself with the blur spell for a number of rounds per day equal to his Charisma modifier plus his Sensory Atavist level, divided however he chooses.

At 6th level, the duration becomes minutes per day equal to his Charisma modifier plus his Sensory Atavist level, divided however he chooses.

Sensory Overload (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a Sensory Atavist can harm his opponent's senses with a well-placed strike. By sacrificing 2d6 points of Sneak Attack damage while attacking, a Sensory Atavist can overload one or more of his opponent's senses, causing them to become sickened for 1d4 rounds unless they make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Class Level + Dex mod).

Sight Unseeing (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a Sensory Atavist can see in complete darkness, magical or natural, and needs no light. He also receives blindsight 15'.

Hold Thy Tongue (Sp): At 6th level, the Sensory Atavist can create a field of silence surrounding himself in a 20' radius three times per day, lasting for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier plus his class levels.

Sensory Deprivation (Ex): Starting at 8th level, a Sensory Atavist can reduce and even remove some of his opponent's senses with well-placed srikes. By sacrificing 3d6 points of Sneak Attack damage while attacking, a Sensory Atavist can remove one of his opponent's senses. Roll on the table below to determine the effects.

{table=head]Roll|Effect
1|Target is blinded
2|Target is deafened
3|Target is muted and cannot cast spells with verbal components
4|Target receives a 50% miss chance in combat
5|Target receives a -5 penalty to skill checks
6|Roll twice more, ignoring rolls of six[/table]

All these abilities last for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 Sensory Atavist class level and can be prevented with a successful Fortitude save (DC 15 + Sensory Atavist class level + Dex mod).

Blindness is a Blessing (Su): Starting at 9th level, a Sensory Atavist becomes immune to illusions and gaze attacks and suffers no ill effects if rendered blind or deaf.

Half-Real (Su): At 10th level, a Sensory Atavist becomes part illusion himself. He is permanently affected as if by a blur spell. In addition, his Cloak of Illusion ability instead acts as a displacement spell, and increases in duration to minutes per day equal to his class level plus Charisma modifier.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Sharpened Perceptions, Sneak Attack +1d6
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Cloak of Illusion
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Sensory Overload
4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Sneak Attack +2d6
5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Sight Unseeing
6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Hold Thy Tongue
7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Sneak Attack +3d6
8th|+6|+2|+6|+6|Sensory Deprivation
9th|+6|+3|+6|+6|Blindness is a Blessing
10th|+7|+3|+7|+7|Half-Real, Sneak Attack +4d6[/table]

Ultimatum479
2007-01-12, 01:07 AM
Well, I've already commented on this class. Just mentioning that Sight Unseeing's +2 on attack rolls in darkness doesn't really have much of an RPing justification, especially if you're shooting from darkness at someone outside in bright daylight. Oh, and, I dunno about Swim being a class skill.

jlousivy
2007-01-12, 01:44 AM
i agree with ultimatum, swim shouldn't be a class skill, and the +2 to hit while in the dark.... i don't see why. the people will be flat footed unless they can see in darkness anyway

Mike_Lemmer
2007-01-12, 02:42 AM
It's strange that they can use Silence, a 6th-level skill, for three times longer than Blur, a 2nd-level skill.

Ultimatum479
2007-01-12, 02:48 AM
...Why? He's a 2nd-level Sensory Atavist when he gets his Cloak of Illusion, but he's a 6th-level Atavist when he gets Hold Thy Tongue. He's got more experience by the time he earns the latter ability. Then, when he goes back to improve his Cloak of Illusion (check Half-Real), it _does_ increase drastically in duration.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-01-12, 03:01 AM
It still seems like quite a big jump. You could up the number of times a day for the Blur as he rises up.

Besides, Silence is a sick spell, especially when you get at least 18 rounds of it.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-12, 12:58 PM
Removed Swim; added duration change for Cloak of Illusion at L6, removed Sight Unseeing's +2, but gave it blindsight 15'.

The_Ferg
2007-01-12, 01:20 PM
This is one of the only PrCs I've seen with a special ability per level that is not horribly broken. Half-real, I think, is a bit abusable, but not terribly so. I'd only tweak it a bit, and I'm not even sure how yet. But really good job here. I'd want to play this.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-12, 01:36 PM
Child of Night (in Tome of Magic) has a similar perma-blur, displacement SLA 10th level ability.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-12, 01:53 PM
Typed (Ex, Sp, Su) class abilities.

Altharis
2007-01-13, 05:33 AM
Nice! I like all your work Fax, but this brings up the anime cliche of the blind monk.... who kicks butt in combat.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-13, 05:01 PM
Thanks. There's no real need for the character to be blind, they just don't suffer ill effects from being so.

Altharis
2007-01-14, 05:27 PM
I never said the cliche had to be followed did I? Yep, your stuff rocks. I'd trust it as much as core.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-14, 05:29 PM
That's quite a compliment. Are you full aware of the existence of my creations in an easy-to-use wiki (http://corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Fax_Encyclopedicus)?

Altharis
2007-01-15, 11:42 PM
Yes I am, and I love it! Yes, your stuff is truly brilliant. I love how you've managed exp for commoners. And your classes are balanced and cool.

NullAshton
2007-01-16, 08:44 AM
Why have a blind monk? Just have a monk who wears a blindfold all the time, using it to hone his senses to an unparalleled degree.

Cool class, anyway.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-16, 12:48 PM
Yes I am, and I love it! Yes, your stuff is truly brilliant. I love how you've managed exp for commoners. And your classes are balanced and cool.

:D Thanks.