PDA

View Full Version : The complications of Shadow Evocation

Dalebert
2013-11-22, 12:36 PM
Continual Flame: Using SE to cast it would have no 50 gp material component, but what are the implications? If successfully disbelieved, is that person in darkness while believers can see?

Sending: If successfully disbelieved, do you not hear the message? The spell says non-damaging spells have no effect on the successful disbeliever.

How does disbelief work? Is it automatic? In previous games, I've seen people declare that they're disbelieving in something--a monster, an effect, whatever. Then the DM said to roll a saving throw. Would an NPC (presumably friendly) hear the Sending before an opportunity to disbelieve, which would in effect be exactly like a Sending spell. The spell itself is actually more like an illusion. It just makes someone hear something. Same with Continual Flame. It's a visual effect, practically an illusion already. Is the intention that the disbeliever no longer even perceives the illusion or just that they can't be negatively affected in any way?

Dalebert
2013-11-22, 12:38 PM
Creatures encountering an illusion usually do not receive saving throws to recognize it as illusory until they study it carefully or interact with it in some
fashion.

Well that settles it for Sending at least. I should have looked this up. Sorry.

EDIT: Further down it implies that the Continual Flame would still shed light but the disbeliever would realize it's an illusion. It would look funny or even be transparent, etc.

Story
2013-11-22, 12:56 PM
In previous games, I've seen people declare that they're disbelieving in something--a monster, an effect, whatever. Then the DM said to roll a saving throw.

Wasn't this how it worked in 2ed? Which led to a lot of abuse since you'd just claim you disbelieve every single thing in sight and gameplay slowed to a crawl. At least that's what I got from Another Gaming Comic, I haven't actually played 2ed.