PDA

View Full Version : Can a wizard prepare from a scroll?

Octopus Jack
2013-11-22, 03:44 PM
Greetings playground,

I am currently in a new campaign and playing a wizard and an interesting sequence of events has resulted in me having a single arcane scroll of cure light wounds (GM fiated). This is currently our only source of healing in campaign and have no time at the moment to scribe it into my spellbook so to avoid wasting it is it possible to prepare spells from deciphered scrolls like a borrowed spellbook in mornings?

Thanks for any and all answers.

Crake
2013-11-22, 03:51 PM
Greetings playground,

I am currently in a new campaign and playing a wizard and an interesting sequence of events has resulted in me having a single arcane scroll of cure light wounds (GM fiated). This is currently our only source of healing in campaign and have no time at the moment to scribe it into my spellbook so to avoid wasting it is it possible to prepare spells from deciphered scrolls like a borrowed spellbook in mornings?

Thanks for any and all answers.

Its worth noting that cure light wounds can be an arcane spell (for bards) so such a scroll isn't actually fiated, although if you can cast it as a wizard, that would definitely be fiat, as you'd need a UMD check to cast it, since cure light wounds isn't on your spell list. If your DM is allowing you to cast from the scroll as if you had the spell on your spell list, ask him if he'd allow you to scribe it into your spellbook (that's something you can do with scrolls, costs 100gp per page to scribe, 1 page per spell level, so it should just be 100gp). This will allow you to prepare it as often as you like, otherwise, you cannot prepare spells from scrolls.

Really, if he'd allow you to use the scroll as if you have the spell on your spell list, there's no real reason he shouldn't allow you to scribe the scroll into your spellbook, as that would be a pretty hefty double-standard.

Octopus Jack
2013-11-22, 03:57 PM
I had forgotten about bards, thanks. I've already been given the all clear to cast it without UMD and my intentions to copy it into my spellbook are well known. I just wanted to know whether I could prepare it from the scroll whilst we are on the move. Ah well thank you for your well timed and informed response.

nedz
2013-11-22, 06:04 PM
No

Spellbooks

A wizard must study her spellbook each day to prepare her spells. She cannot prepare any spell not recorded in her spellbook, except for read magic, which all wizards can prepare from memory.

Octopus Jack
2013-11-22, 06:10 PM
Yes I'm aware of that passage but wizards can also prepare spells from borrowed spell books and copy them into their own spell books like they could a scroll (for the latter part) that brought along the line of thinking that there a fair few similarities and not all that many disparities between using a borrowed spellbook and a scroll except for the instant cast and no spell slot used nature of a scroll.

kabreras
2013-11-22, 06:17 PM
You may have an arcane CLW but its still not on the wizard spell list so he canot cast it without UMD