PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my hands on a non-summoned elemental?

Dalebert
2013-11-22, 03:48 PM
Any tips? My cleric has those frustrating domain powers that allow him to control elemental subtypes (doesn't have to be strictly an elemental. A xorn would do, for instance.) which we NEVER encounter. Most of Obad-Hai's domains are like that, including the Plant domain which is even worse. These powers are nice when you need them but almost never seem to come into play unless I can go seek out these creatures and make pets out of them.

Eldan
2013-11-22, 04:02 PM
Planar Binding/Ally allows you to call one for a longer period. Apart from that, you pretty much have to travel to the elemental planes.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-22, 04:21 PM
You might find them on the material -if- there are certain cosmological features in your DM's world. Specifically, you might find them at the sights of planar bubbles, planar, breaches, naturally occuring planar rifts, near standing portals to the inner planes, and finally as a result of summon or calling magic, yours or someone else's.

Asrrin
2013-11-22, 04:27 PM
Wizards can pick up elementals with the Improved Familiar feat.

Vhaidara
2013-11-22, 04:34 PM
They could just be there. Maybe someone opened a Gate to an elemental plane and something wandered through. Maybe someone Plane Shifted them from home to the Material. Maybe they wanted a vacation and hired a wizard to send them away from home. Any number of reasons, really.

Spore
2013-11-22, 04:43 PM
They could just be there. Maybe someone opened a Gate to an elemental plane and something wandered through. Maybe someone Plane Shifted them from home to the Material. Maybe they wanted a vacation and hired a wizard to send them away from home. Any number of reasons, really.

That is good advice. Have a reason for some elementals to just be upset and wander the mortal realm. Warcraft did it like that. "The earth spirits are upset with this excavation." *cue earth elementals attacking the miners*

The flame of battle on this area (touching the fire plane) has summoned the elemental fire th rage the battlefield and burn the dead and kill the surviving wounded warriors. Some avian race has summoned air elementals and now they're freed from the summoner, AND PISSED.