PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage Arcane Variant: Warlock Advice Needed

Perpetr8r
2013-11-22, 05:00 PM
With the Arcane Swordsage could you see a Warlock variant as well?
Imagine the Invocations known taking place of the maneuvers known, the Invocations readied taking place of the maneuvers readied and Blast Shape and Essences known taking the place of the stances known.
Edit: Or maybe 4 Shapes at level 20 and 6 Essences by then to give you more options with your EB which of course would be given to the Warlocksage variant at the Sneak Attack progression of a Rogue.

now as for the rest of the Swordsages class features being replaced you could get ride of the discipline focus and dual boost.

Maybe replace them with some other feature that could be better use to an Warlocksage.

Any suggestions?

Xerlith
2013-11-22, 06:43 PM
You know, about that... It's basically the warlock. They already have the invocations at will. Bah, they don't even have to refresh them like Swordsages need with their maneuvers. It seems kind of redundant to me.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-22, 07:28 PM
The idea was more invocations for the warlock and bab and hd. As well as ac to armor for a class stuck with just light armor. A bonus to initiative up to +5 at 20.

AstralFire
2013-11-22, 07:31 PM
Feels like a really awkward grafting of two systems that didn't need to be conjoined. If you want more essences known, just add more essences known.

Xerlith
2013-11-22, 07:58 PM
You may also choose to instead make the Warlock class a Discipline open to Swordsages (or any Initiator class you wish).

It has been (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Obscured_Existence_(3.5e_Martial_Discipline)) done (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102869) before. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102215)

Perpetr8r
2013-11-22, 10:36 PM
I know you can just make up Disicplines for it but then what is the point in playing ANY class? For a druid just make a Discipline that grants Wildshape as a power and give strikes, boosts, and stances to fight with the druidic theme and so forth.

I want to make the Warlock a little bit more powerful with things like a better BAB and HD while also granting more of the Invocations they need to function. However I am not above looking at other functions.

Xerlith
2013-11-23, 10:23 AM
I know you can just make up Disicplines for it but then what is the point in playing ANY class? For a druid just make a Discipline that grants Wildshape as a power and give strikes, boosts, and stances to fight with the druidic theme and so forth.

You have answered yourself.
Also, Warlock and Swordsage have the same BAB, so the only significant difference is one better save and 1hp/lvl more.

As you have noticed yourself, you're approaching this from the wrong angle. Better idea would be to simply rewrite the Warlock class instead of grafting its abilities onto Initiator chassis.

Also, they don't need better BAB, they're hitting Touch AC.

Ziegander
2013-11-23, 11:29 AM
Sounds to me like the only reason you want to make a "Warlock Swordsage" is to give the Warlock d8 HD, more invocations, and Wisdom to AC.

Okay... so instead of trying to combine the Warlock and Swordsage, just add those three simple things to the Warlock. It's not going to break anything. Instead of giving the Warlock the Ready to Act class feature (because it really isn't very thematically appropriate), make a new initiative boosting invocation.