PDA

View Full Version : --- Co-op Roguelikes ---

Bulix
2013-11-22, 06:21 PM
Hey Playground,

Listen, I need your help. Me and my sis like roguelikes, a lot. We have looking for one with co-op for quite a while now. Sadly, we have found nothing. And here comes the real challenge, we both have Macs and are not considering bootcamp. Yeah, I know. It doesn't need to be an actual roguelike, just a light dungeon crawler with randomness works great. So, if you happen to know anything, a game, a site, even news for the future, comment it, please. If you stopped reading after "bootcamp", we don't blame you, but if you kept reading, please tell us anything you might know.

Thanks a lot,

Gabriel

Tiki Snakes
2013-11-22, 06:53 PM
Light dungeon crawler with randomness?
Did they ever release Diablo 2 on the mac? Because that shouldn't be a million miles out.

Octopus Jack
2013-11-22, 06:57 PM
Light dungeon crawler with randomness?
Did they ever release Diablo 2 on the mac? Because that shouldn't be a million miles out.

yeah they did, Blizzard originally favoured macs over pcs so near enough everything they do comes with a Mac client.

Hazzardevil
2013-11-22, 07:07 PM
Risk of Rain released this week. It's been getting a good reception and has co-op, but I've only seen singleplayer.

Anajamois
2013-11-24, 11:36 AM
Believe it or not, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is a Roguelike, and the latest game sports a multiplayer mode.

Since I've been trying to get people to play it anyway, it's fitting I should refer you to Gates to Infinity.

OracleofWuffing
2013-11-24, 11:56 AM
Well, uh, I guess for certain definitions of Roguelike, you could play Minecraft like a roguelike. There's a good couple of mods and maps that try to bring up the challenge, too.

*shrug* I guess there's also the time-honored method of nethack and sharing bone files?

Knaight
2013-11-24, 01:26 PM
On the light dungeon crawler end, there is Torchlight II. On top of that, Battle for Wesnoth version 1.6 (and probably 1.8) has a user made mod called Wesband, which could work.

endoperez
2013-11-24, 04:51 PM
Are you two familiar with 7DRL (7-day roguelike) competition, and entries? It's an annual "competition" where roguelike enthusiasts code new roguelikes in a time limit of 7 days. That's 150+ from just this year, I'd expect at least some of them to have multiplayer... and even if they don't, that's got to be worth checking out for you two any way.

Tebryn
2013-11-24, 06:53 PM
I am going to offer up Delver's Drop. It's still in Alpha but it will indeed have Co-Op. It's a Zelda-"Like" and a Rogue-"Like" as that term is pretty broad.

Generic Mook
2013-11-25, 07:39 AM
Realm of the Mad God is fun, but it's a mmo. Legend of Dungeon has 1-4 player co-op.

Thanatos 51-50
2013-11-25, 10:58 PM
Is the Spelunky remake Mac-compatible?

Tebryn
2013-11-25, 11:33 PM
Is the Spelunky remake Mac-compatible?

No, it is not.

Wookieetank
2013-11-26, 11:19 AM
On the light dungeon crawler end, there is Torchlight II. On top of that, Battle for Wesnoth version 1.6 (and probably 1.8) has a user made mod called Wesband, which could work.

I'll also vouch for TL2 as a valid roguelike experience, particularly if you play it on Elite Hardcore (hardest mode + permadeath). Same for D2 as well, I've lost more characters to perma-death in that game than I've beaten it with non-permadeath characters.

Tylorious
2013-11-26, 12:58 PM
I can tell you right now that Torchlight is very fun and light hearted. It is for the xbox 360 as well which would be much easier for co-op purposes.

Ailurus
2013-11-26, 04:00 PM
I can tell you right now that Torchlight is very fun and light hearted. It is for the xbox 360 as well which would be much easier for co-op purposes.

Torchlight is on the xbox, but had no multiplayer.

Torchlight 2 has multiplayer, but is PC only. (Would still recommend, of course, but just clarifying on the xbox bit)

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-11-26, 04:02 PM
I'll also vouch for TL2 as a valid roguelike experience, particularly if you play it on Elite Hardcore (hardest mode + permadeath). Same for D2 as well, I've lost more characters to perma-death in that game than I've beaten it with non-permadeath characters.
This actually sounds like something I should try. I've been swimming in loot and unsure of what to do in the normal mode. Would that help some?

Wookieetank
2013-11-27, 09:45 AM
This actually sounds like something I should try. I've been swimming in loot and unsure of what to do in the normal mode. Would that help some?

It keeps the game fresh for me, and I've only made it to act 2 once so far on HC. Takes the game from mindlessly clicking madly to slightly more strategic mad clicking. You also have to stay away from glass cannon builds sadly and actually think about where you should put your ability points.

Tylorious
2013-11-27, 12:06 PM
Torchlight is on the xbox, but had no multiplayer.

Torchlight 2 has multiplayer, but is PC only. (Would still recommend, of course, but just clarifying on the xbox bit)

Oh I stand corrected. Well hopefully TL2 comes out on xbox soon. Would love some multiplayer action on that game as it's very fun.

Lighturtle
2013-11-27, 01:05 PM
Spiral Knights?