PDA

View Full Version : Want some wine with your PrC?

Mumbo_mojo
2007-01-12, 02:30 AM
Drunken Wizard

"Oh, aye, lad *hic*. If'n it weren't for me horshe, I wouldnae shpent that year *hic* in...urhm...What were we talkin' aboot again, lad? Oh right! My mind'sh eye hash expanded to ecompassh all o' creation and itsh grandeur! I am one wit' da' univershe. In other wordsh, I love ye, lad. *hic* Now howsh aboot another round? *Retch!*

--Elyke Nosirrah, Drunken Wizard Master

Like the masters of the Drunken Fist (or Drunken Boxing), drunken wizards have developed a new style of casting which imitates the fluidity of movement and fearlessness of a drunkard. Unlike a master of the Drunken Fist, however, the drunken wizard has to actually consume some form of alcohol in order to withstand the mental stress the magical properties flowing through his mind create. The drunken wizard's inebriation puts him into the proper mental state to become a conduit of arcane power, but at a price. That price, of course, is having to deal with an unpredictable drunk with phenomenal cosmic powers.
Wizards benefit most from learning the art of "Drunken Casting." It's unlikely that one would multiclass, choosing instead to perfect his craft. NPC drunken wizards are most likely either hermits, shunted from society and most wizard circles for their unacceptable beliefs, or gurus, offering training to would-be drunken wizards.
Hit Dice: d4

Requirements
To qualify to become a drunken wizard, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
Alignment: Any nonlawful.
Skills: Spellcraft 6 ranks, Profession (brewer) 6 ranks
Feats: Maximize Spell and Great Fortitude
Spells: Able to cast 5th-level arcane spells.
Special: Must have actually won a drinking contest.

Class Skills
The drunken wizard's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Wis), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (brewer) (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

The Drunken Wizard

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells per Day
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Drunken Invocation 1/day||
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Drunken Invocation 2/day|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Drunken Invocation 3/day|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Name your Poison|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Drunken Invocation 4/day|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Drunken Invocation 5/day; Inebriation Mastery|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Drunken Invocation 6/day; Oneness with the Universe|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class[/table]Class Features
All of the following are class features of the drunken wizard prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Drunken wizards gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
Spells per Day/Spells Known: Beginning with 2nd-level and every level after, when a new drunken wizard level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 5th-level spells before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus metamagic or item creaton feats, and so on). If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 5th-level spells before he became a drunken wizard, he must decide to which class he adds each level of drunken wizard for the purpose of determining spells per day.
Drunken Invocation (Ex): A drunken wizard can invoke the might of the cosmos by consuming a large quantity of alcohol in a very short period of time a certain number of times per day. In this state, a drunken wizard gains incredible arcane insight and power but becomes reckless and less able to perform physical functions. He temporarily gains a +4 bonus to his Intelligence, a +2 bonus to his effective caster leve for purposes of determining level-dependent spell variables and for caster level checks, and a +2 morale bonus on Fortitude saves, but takes a -4 penalty to Dexterity, and a -2 penalty to Armor Class. During the drunken invocation, a drunken wizard cannot use any Chrisma-, Dexterity-, or Wisdom-based skills or any skills that require patience or concentration (except for Concentration), nor can he make any type of successful range attack (though he can certainly try, which he might, because, ya' know, he's drunk). He can use any feat except item creation feats and any feat dealing with ranged attacks (such as Point Blank Shot or Weapon Focus (Ray)). The drunken invocation lasts for a number of rounds equal to 6 + the character's Constitution modifier. A drunken wizard may prematurely end his drunken invocation. At the end of the drunken invocation, the drunken wizard loses the drunken invocaton's modifiers and goes into a stupor and is confused (rolling d% to determine the character's course of action; Note: on rolls of 01-10 and 51-70, instead of the normal effects of confusion, the drunken wizard casts a random spell determined by the DM at a friendly or enemy target (respectively)) for the duration of the encounter (unless he is an 8th-level drunken wizard, at which point this limitation no longer applies.) A drunken wizard can invoke the power of the drunken invocation only once per encounter. At 1st level he can use his drunken invocation ability once per day. At 2nd level and every even numbered level of drunken wizard taken thereafter, he can use it one additional time per day (to a maximum of six times per day at 10th level). Entering the drunken state requires one move action to chug enough alcohol to enter the proper mind-set.
Name Your Poison (Ex): During a drunken invocation, a drunken wizard of 5th level or higher gains a +4 bonus on Fortitude saves to resist the effects of magical or mundane poisons. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus on Fortitude saves he also receives during his drunken invocation.
Inebriation Mastery (Ex): At 8th level and highter, a drunken wizard no longer becomes confused at the end of a drunken invocation.
Oneness with the Universe (Ex): At 10th level, a drunken wizard's bonus to Intelligence during his drunken invocation increases to +8, his effective caster level increases to +4, and his morale bonus to Fortitude saves increases to +4. The penalty to Dexterity remains at -4 and the penalty to AC remains at -2.

Ultimatum479
2007-01-12, 02:44 AM
...Coolness. I don't think I see any major balance issues, but I might just be blinded by the coolness.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-12, 06:07 AM
Just take out that bonus feat, and it'll be golden.
I believe someone may say you could put a dead level or two on spellcasting to even things a bit, but it's still good.

Heh, reminds me of Iron Man from Ultimates: "you need to be drunk to wear that thing".

Ultimatum479
2007-01-12, 06:16 AM
This is a pure spellcasting class. A dead level on spellcasting would scew it up.

XtheYeti
2007-01-12, 08:13 AM
I think that i would have to hail this the single coolest class i have seen in a while...but the bonus feat does have to go. but other than that rock on dude

Penguinizer
2007-01-12, 08:22 AM
Why did I suspect someone would make a prestige class around booze. Especially with the booze dragon or alcohol dragon that was improvised as a joke once.

Rierdrex
2007-01-12, 08:49 AM
I like it. It's a different flavor than most wizard PrC, but that's what makes it so fine. I have to agree though that the bonus feat should go. All in all, a very good class. One I'd used in my own games, if you don't mind.

Mumbo_mojo
2007-01-12, 10:12 AM
First off, thanks for the feedback. I kinda figured that the bonus feat would be the first thing to go, but the only reason I put it in there was because it seemed a bit empty otherwise. So, I changed it just now! I'm definately not taking out a level in spellcasting, though. Oh and Rierdrex, heck yes you can use it! That's what I was kinda hoping for. That and some cretiques. If you were wondering where I got the idea, it was when I was reading the OOTS wherein they hire a wizard with a drinking problem while also watching The Legend of Drunken Master with Jackie Chan. Again, thanks!

Iituem
2007-01-12, 12:47 PM
This is... so damn cool. Eight thumbs up! (I'm apparently borrowing a few from Vishnu here.)

XtheYeti
2007-01-12, 01:02 PM
What would happen with a drunken druid? or a drunken Warlock?

The_Ferg
2007-01-12, 01:11 PM
I love this PrC. I am quite happy to see a Homebrew PrC WITHOUT a special ability every level. You managed to make it cool without breaking the system. Good job.

Mumbo_mojo
2007-01-12, 01:46 PM
What would happen with a drunken druid? or a drunken Warlock?

To answer your questin: The same thing that would happen to a drunken wizard. They'd get drunk and fall down. :)
Hey, thanks again. When I get home from school today, I was gonna specify the increase to effective caster level to match what it says in the rulebooks. Just a formality thing. I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to state that with the increase to Intellect, bonus spells are awarded for the improved score. I mean, I understand why they stated that the bonus spells aren't applicable in the Fox's Cunning spell because, ya' know, it would then be a spell that gave you more spells. Seeing as how the Drunken Invocation is a special ability, however, it wouldn't be as broken. Any thoughts?

mikeejimbo
2007-01-12, 04:15 PM
Oh man, this prestige class should have access to the Create Alcohol spell too.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-12, 05:35 PM
I'm definately not taking out a level in spellcasting, though.
That's not a good thing in my opinion. Think about it. A Sorcerer gets spells and familiar abilities. A wizard gets spells, familiar abilities and the occasional bonus feat. The Drunken Wizard gets spells, a significant boost to spellcasting several times a day, and immunity to poison. Not only that, but PrCs with full spellcasting progression are extremely rare, and spellcasters in general have an advantage at higher levels. Something needs to be done to balance it, and the adverse effects from drinking do nothing close to that. Two dead levels are my recommendation. First level, and one more, maybe eighth.

Mumbo_mojo
2007-01-12, 09:11 PM
That's not a good thing in my opinion. Think about it.

I see your point. However, it's my opinion that having a party member that could potentially ruin the entirety of a campaign by slinging a wayward Fireball into his own party at an inopportune moment (due to the altered confusion effects) is a farely dire weakness. That, and it's not like I overpowered the class, what with the -4 to Dexterity AND a -2 to AC, making him easier to hit than the broad side of a lazy barn. Thus, the first level will be dead, with the rest gaining a spellcaster level. Thanks for the thought, and I would still really appreciate some feedback on the Intelligence bonus/bonus spells thing.

Quellian-dyrae
2007-01-12, 10:02 PM
To answer your questin: The same thing that would happen to a drunken wizard. They'd get drunk and fall down. :)
Hey, thanks again. When I get home from school today, I was gonna specify the increase to effective caster level to match what it says in the rulebooks. Just a formality thing. I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to state that with the increase to Intellect, bonus spells are awarded for the improved score. I mean, I understand why they stated that the bonus spells aren't applicable in the Fox's Cunning spell because, ya' know, it would then be a spell that gave you more spells. Seeing as how the Drunken Invocation is a special ability, however, it wouldn't be as broken. Any thoughts?

The reason, I believe, that temporary increases don't grant bonus spells is that it's hard to adjudicate an on-off-on-off bonus spell increase. Now, personally, I relax the rule with regards to, say, headbands of intellect (with the understanding that the character is regularly wearing the item, not just putting it on, memorizing its spells, and then swapping it for another hat). That aside, though, you would have to specify exactly how the extra spells worked. A possible, but kinda complicate method would be saying that the character can prepare additional spells at the start of the day as if it had the higher Int, but spells it prepares using those bonus slots could only be cast while using the ability. By and large, though, it's probably easiest to work with and has less potential for abuse to juse leave out added bonus spells for temporary ability increases.

ilovefire
2007-01-13, 12:08 AM
I would just like to say I made a PrC that was basically like this, only different kinda. Also: this class is infinitely better than mine. Sir, I salute you.

Mumbo_mojo
2007-01-13, 04:48 AM
The reason, I believe, that temporary increases don't grant bonus spells is that it's hard to adjudicate an on-off-on-off bonus spell increase. Now, personally, I relax the rule with regards to, say, headbands of intellect (with the understanding that the character is regularly wearing the item, not just putting it on, memorizing its spells, and then swapping it for another hat). That aside, though, you would have to specify exactly how the extra spells worked. A possible, but kinda complicate method would be saying that the character can prepare additional spells at the start of the day as if it had the higher Int, but spells it prepares using those bonus slots could only be cast while using the ability. By and large, though, it's probably easiest to work with and has less potential for abuse to juse leave out added bonus spells for temporary ability increases.Ah, so true. Alright then, consider the issue resolved. No bonus spells with the adjustment to Intellect. Thanks for the feedback!